Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-23-2023, 11:13 AM   #101
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Reading about carbon fiber hulls and the whole idea for deep submersion sounds negligent.
Old 06-23-2023, 12:36 PM   #102
Atocep
Coordinator

It sounds like they had dropped the ballast and were trying to ascend. So they likely knew something was wrong. It takes something like 30 milliseconds for the implosion to happen though so there's no time to comprehend or feel anything.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 12:43 PM   #103
bryce
High School Varsity

Bringing it back to sports... If the Titans start strong and collapse, either in a game or overall in the season, who will be the first sportscaster to say they imploded?
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 05:54 PM   #104
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

The mystery of the banging noises has been solved:

"Some now believe those noises were the ghosts of the deceased, clanging away at the bottom of the ocean so at least their fate could be known."
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 06:02 PM   #105
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

hxxps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz95_VvTxZM

Example of a train car imploding.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 09:20 PM   #106
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

So remember how Leonardo Dicaprio wasn't even supposed to be on the titanic? Someone else was but then he won a hand of poker and suddenly he was going?

There is a parallel.

Originally two of the occupants were going to be a billionaire and his son...altho not the billionaire that actually WAS on the trip. The CEO guy...Salvadore Rush or wahtever his name was that piloted the ship sent him several texts BEGGING him to go on the trip saying..."OH YEAH THIS THING IS SAFE. IT'S SO SAFE. It's SAFER THAN RIDING IN A PLANE, a car, a boat. It's SAFER THAN CROSSING THE STREET!"
After that the billionaire pulled him and his son off the list. That opened up two spots....
and suddenly....
Shahdaddy Dawood was contacted and HE got the magic willy wonka tickets so...then suddenly 19 year old Suleman Dawood was made to go on this trip...that he didn't have any idea about and then didn't wanna go on.

Cute story eh?
Old 06-23-2023, 09:29 PM   #107
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Old 06-23-2023, 09:40 PM   #108
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Old 06-23-2023, 09:45 PM   #109
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

So in this case the cement block represented two previous trips to the titanic and several pressure tests in a pool damaging the structure already

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 06-23-2023 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-23-2023, 10:03 PM   #110
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

This is a fascinating event I had never heard of

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 06-23-2023 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-23-2023, 10:10 PM   #111
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

and just bevcause I've gone down a mythbusters rabbit hole,I had to find the answer to this
Old 06-23-2023, 10:51 PM   #112
cuervo72
Head Coach

Texags had this three days ago.
Old 06-25-2023, 07:13 PM   #113
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
But only today did I realize that the hoaxing parents of Balloon boy were pardoned a few years ago

'Balloon Boy' Parents Pardoned By Colorado Governor for 2009 Hoax : NPR

Well that is weird. Especially since they have kept proclaiming their innocence.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 07:13 PM   #114
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
They spend that on the average training exercise, which is basically what this was.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Old 06-26-2023, 06:57 AM   #115
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

If you think that the money spent on the rescue would have some how paid for cancer treatments if saved, I have a very sad thing to break to you. That was never going to happen.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 07:17 AM   #116
Bobble
College Prospect

Maybe I'm naïve but I've not often seen the emergency response be greatly tied to wealth. "Someone's lost? Pull their W-2s to see if we even need to leave the dock."
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 07:40 AM   #117
Edward64
Head Coach

I think it can be argued that wealthier people have more disposable income to put them in more complex situations (e.g. this incident, going up in space etc.) requiring more public funds/effort to rescue if needed.

But yeah, overall it doesn't have much to do with wealth. If anything, it's more significant political connections than wealth.

Now if it was at the uber level of Elon, Zuck, Gates, Buffet etc. I do think there would be more "effort" put in. But regular multi-millionaires and billionaires, nah.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 02:03 PM   #118
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Maybe I'm naïve but I've not often seen the emergency response be greatly tied to wealth. "Someone's lost? Pull their W-2s to see if we even need to leave the dock."

I don't get the apparent dynamic at play where if it's just researchers or something they wouldn't bother with a rescue attempt. That's pretty insulting to the rescuers. Cynicism for Cynicism's sake.

You can read about all kinds of rescue missions of all kinds of people, including of sick scientists in Antarctica and the efforts that go into that.

Last edited by molson : 06-26-2023 at 02:05 PM.
molson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 02:13 PM   #119
henry296
College Starter

Some people are comparing the cost/effort for the Titan with the Greek shipwreck that happened at the same time.
Old 06-26-2023, 02:14 PM   #120
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
Some people are comparing the cost/effort for the Titan with the Greek shipwreck that happened at the same time.

I think it was different entities involved with those two rescues. And I don't think the Greek Coast Guard contributed anything to the titanic rescue mission.

Last edited by molson : 06-26-2023 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-26-2023, 02:19 PM   #121
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

Texags had this three days ago.

They have nothing on Sportsdigs. Nothing.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 02:21 PM   #122
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I think it was different entities involved with those two rescues. And I don't think the Greek Coast Guard contributed anything to the titanic rescue mission.

agree with molson on this one. It's not a relevant comp. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 02:57 PM   #123
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post

I don't think your average fishing boat would get this kind of response from the Navy and Coast Guard. I know people on boats between Cuba and Florida sure don't.

Quote:
If you think that the money spent on the rescue would have some how paid for cancer treatments if saved, I have a very sad thing to break to you. That was never going to happen.

Yeah, I know it wouldn't. Just a way of seeing where our priorities are as a country. Imagine if that money went into some form of infrastructure.

Last edited by RainMaker : 06-26-2023 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-26-2023, 02:59 PM   #124
henry296
College Starter

Quote:

The perception is that the US Coast Guard could've helped in both situations but chose to help only the Titan.
Old 06-26-2023, 03:38 PM   #125
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
The perception is that the US Coast Guard could've helped in both situations but chose to help only the Titan.

I blame Hunter Biden.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 03:41 PM   #126
GrantDawg

If they were pretty and blonde, they would spare no expense.
Old 06-26-2023, 03:43 PM   #127
molson
General Manager

Quote:

I've seen people criticizing the Greek Coast Guard, but blaming U.S. rescuers for that incident seems like a bit of a stretch, and I couldn't find anyone even suggesting that they had the ability/jurisdiction/notice/invitation to do anything.
Old 06-26-2023, 03:57 PM   #128
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I don't think your average fishing boat would get this kind of response from the Navy and Coast Guard. I know people on boats between Cuba and Florida sure don't.
Really?
Quote:
On October 30, 1991, the vessel was reported overdue. An extensive air and land search was launched by the 106th Rescue Wing from the New York Air National Guard, United States Coast Guard, and Canadian Coast Guard forces. The search eventually covered over 186,000 sq nmi (640,000 km2).[5]
On November 6, 1991, Andrea Gail's emergency position-indicating radio beacon (EPIRB) was discovered washed up on the shore of Sable Island in Nova Scotia. The EPIRB was designed to automatically send out a distress signal upon contact with sea water, but the Canadian Coast Guard personnel who found the beacon "did not conclusively verify whether the control switch was in the on or off position".[2] Authorities called off the search for the missing vessel on November 9, 1991, due to the low probability of crew survival.[2]
Fuel drums, a fuel tank, the EPIRB, an empty life raft, and some other flotsam were the only wreckage found. The ship was presumed lost at sea somewhere along the continental shelf near Sable Island.[citation needed]
Sounds pretty extensive for a non-billionaire fishing boat.
Old 06-26-2023, 04:34 PM   #129
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've seen people criticizing the Greek Coast Guard, but blaming U.S. rescuers for that incident seems like a bit of a stretch, and I couldn't find anyone even suggesting that they had the ability/jurisdiction/notice/invitation to do anything.

People addicted to victimhood and jealousy have mastered the art of stretching.
Old 06-26-2023, 05:18 PM   #130
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

wait a sec...how is US supposed to help people in greece?
LIke there are all those other european countries there already
Old 06-26-2023, 05:18 PM   #131
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

So we are now seeing all these articles and posts about how bad the bad passengers were and how good the good passengers were.
So sad.
Old 06-26-2023, 06:09 PM   #132
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 06-26-2023 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-26-2023, 07:34 PM   #133
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Really?

Sounds pretty extensive for a non-billionaire fishing boat.

Cool story from 30 years ago that was national headlines.

You don't have to look far for the difference in response. A fishing charter got lost a few weeks ago with a family on board in Alaska. The response was a few Coast Guard ships and private fisherman who went looking. No Navy, no Canadians, no UK, no French. No thousand mile search radius, no robots, no surveillance planes.

Do you think when a migrant boat capsizes near Florida, they get the same response as these people? Do you think you would get the same response if your fishing boat went missing in the Atlantic?

And lets not forget that the Navy knew the sub imploded early on and everyone was dead. All this was just for show.
Old 06-26-2023, 07:56 PM   #134
GrantDawg

All the resources you listed weren't used in Alaska because the weren't looking for wreckage of a submarine. It is almost like you hqve to use different resources for different situations. Funny that. And even with the surveillance hearing the explosion, they had to find the wreckage for confirmation.
As for immigrants, that is pure politics. There are political ramifications when dealing with asylum seekers.

Old 06-26-2023, 07:57 PM   #135
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm also fine with taxpayer money going to save people in international waters around the globe. It's a better use of our military than losing wars in the Middle East. But the amount of resources that went into saving these people who we knew were dead is not normal.
Old 06-26-2023, 08:02 PM   #136
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
All the resources you listed weren't used in Alaska because the weren't looking for wreckage of a submarine. It is almost like you hqve to use different resources for different situations. Funny that. And even with the surveillance hearing the explosion, they had to find the wreckage for confirmation.

Why are we putting in those kind of resources for the wreckage of a submarine? The Navy knew they were fish food immediately. From what I've read,it was a private vessel, and there is no real national security issue in finding the fragments of metal that survived the implosion.

Quote:
As for immigrants, that is pure politics. There are political ramifications when dealing with asylum seekers.

What makes this sub different from a boat coming from Haiti? You can save people and send them back to their country if necessary.
Old 06-26-2023, 08:15 PM   #137
GrantDawg

First point: They knew but they didn't. It is like a plane going off radar into a mountain. They would never confirm it till they found the plane. And it isn't easy finding wreckage under thousands of feet of sea. They'll spend huge amount of time and manpower on a plane wreck that is hard to find as well. That's what these guys do.
Second: Because once on a US military ship, they can claim asylum. They legally can't be returned back to their originating port by US and international maritime laws. As it is, a large portion of the Coast Guard resources are dedicated to dealing with asylum seekers because they also have a legal obligation to help anyone they come across in distress. It is not like they aren't doing anything.

Old 06-26-2023, 08:27 PM   #138
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

i'm still really cheesed off about this whole "military knew they were dead on Monday" thing. I want answers
rainmaker, give me those answers.

I'm almost thinking that everyone that said they knew....didn't REALLY know
Old 06-26-2023, 08:35 PM   #139
GrantDawg

The US has a huge line of microphones in the waters to listen and keep track of submarines. Reports say those microphones picked up an explosion toward where the sub sho6ld have been around the time they lost contact. They thought it was likely the sub was lost. That is not confirmation, which they really didn't have till they found the wreckage.

Old 06-26-2023, 09:08 PM   #140
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
First point: They knew but they didn't. It is like a plane going off radar into a mountain. They would never confirm it till they found the plane. And it isn't easy finding wreckage under thousands of feet of sea. They'll spend huge amount of time and manpower on a plane wreck that is hard to find as well. That's what these guys do.
Second: Because once on a US military ship, they can claim asylum. They legally can't be returned back to their originating port by US and international maritime laws. As it is, a large portion of the Coast Guard resources are dedicated to dealing with asylum seekers because they also have a legal obligation to help anyone they come across in distress. It is not like they aren't doing anything.

1) Planes are licensed and regulated by the government. There's a responsibility to ensure no crime was committed and that the cause is determined to protect other planes. The investigation into plane crashes lead to valuable information that save countless lives. There is nothing of value to be gained from recovering what's left of this guys toy sub unless the Coast Guard is opening a souvenir shop.

2) Not sure what you're getting at here. Should search and rescue missions be based on the likelihood of whether the person files for asylum? Worth noting that 4 of the 5 passengers were foreign citizens.
Old 06-26-2023, 09:43 PM   #141
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/26/busin...zn4UAGCO9TZbMw

um...guys...
we've got a serial killer on the loose now. That's the second billionaire in a week to die
Old 06-26-2023, 09:48 PM   #142
Edward64
Head Coach

70 years old and still driving, and on a race track. More power to him, died doing a hobby he enjoyed.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 10:05 PM   #143
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

seriously get columbo
Old 06-27-2023, 05:28 AM   #144
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296

I think that perception is ridiculous, for reasons stated by CrimsonFox. The US Coast Guard is the US Coast Guard, not the Worldwide Coast Guard.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 06:45 AM   #145
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

someone said I was right about something? marking this day down!
Old 06-27-2023, 04:13 PM   #146
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I think that perception is ridiculous, for reasons stated by CrimsonFox. The US Coast Guard is the US Coast Guard, not the Worldwide Coast Guard.

What did this sub have to do with the US?
Old 06-27-2023, 06:24 PM   #147
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
What did this sub have to do with the US?

You pretty much just always need something to criticize, what does any of these tragedies have to do with the US in the literal sense?

To imply that the Coast Guard chooses who and how much to help based on status, wealth or anything else is ridiculous. In terms of the Navy being involved it was because their sensors picked up the implosion, which, as has been mentioned they couldn't confirm until wreckage was found.

Meanwhile right wing nut jobs are using the storyline that the Navy didn't say anything because people thinking there was still a chance of the crew being found, distracted people from Hunter Biden.

Sometimes the narratives are better than the truth I guess, which is the Navy and Coast Guard followed standard protocol.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 08:34 PM   #148
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

my point was...there's no way the US or canada could help rescue a boat in Greece bercause we AREN'T THERE. I mean unless we have some boats there that are able to help.

The sub thing was....whoever was in the area raced to help!
Watch an episode of Deadliest Catch. Every season they highlight a rescue from the coast guard. Sometimes they are not successful. sometimes they are. It is always a race against time and always the nearest boat races to try to help...because that's what you do.
Old 06-27-2023, 10:08 PM   #149
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
my point was...there's no way the US or canada could help rescue a boat in Greece bercause we AREN'T THERE. I mean unless we have some boats there that are able to help.

The sub thing was....whoever was in the area raced to help!
Watch an episode of Deadliest Catch. Every season they highlight a rescue from the coast guard. Sometimes they are not successful. sometimes they are. It is always a race against time and always the nearest boat races to try to help...because that's what you do.

Exactly
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 10:23 PM   #150
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

the whole compating this to immigrants coming to florida in boats...
hmmm that's a toughie. I mean they happen so often.
isn't it just lots of little boats? or is there bigger ones too. dunno. I guess it would be easy enough just to have a boat there permenently for such thing.
but yeah it's not like anyone can see some of them or know they are coming.