Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-01-2020, 09:30 AM   #2651
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Damn, I wonder what Fubo is going to be now they added ESPN.

That's been answered. They are now $65, but lost all the WarnerMedia stuff (so TBS, TNT, CNN, etc).
Old 07-01-2020, 10:15 AM   #2652
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That's been answered. They are now $65, but lost all the WarnerMedia stuff (so TBS, TNT, CNN, etc).

Is it still the same bundle price for Hulu/Disney+/ESPN? I subscribe to the bundle for Hulu for my wife and Disney for my kids (and Star Wars stuff for all of us) and just kind of take ESPN for a way to read the insider articles. I didn't think ESPN+ allowed you to watch any of their flagship stations anyways. I tried several times to cut the cord and find the streaming services all had the same disputes and price gorging as the old school Directv/Dish/Charter etc. I did like not having a contract but have no really had trouble negotiating the price back down when directv tries to jack it up. I think they just count on most people not caring enough to call and paying the higher prices.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:41 AM   #2653
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

ESPN+ is stuff not on ESPN or ESPN2. So if it is great if you are into a bunch of soccer or UFC, but not really otherwise. I had for a few months for MLS (local broadcasts out of network) and Serie A (they'll get Bundesliga next year).
Old 07-03-2020, 09:42 AM   #2654
Edward64
Head Coach

Watching the Leftovers now. Enjoying it but didn't appreciate the gratuitous and bad taste re: jerking off scene in the Pilot.

As I was watching it, I realized it felt familiar and sure enough, some "Lost" influence. Nowhere near as bad of a tease as Lost (which I dropped mid-way in the 2nd season) though.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:38 AM   #2655
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Really excited to watch Hamilton on Disney plus today. My wife saw it twice on broadway and says its amazing
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:59 AM   #2656
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Watching the Leftovers now. Enjoying it but didn't appreciate the gratuitous and bad taste re: jerking off scene in the Pilot.

As I was watching it, I realized it felt familiar and sure enough, some "Lost" influence. Nowhere near as bad of a tease as Lost (which I dropped mid-way in the 2nd season) though.

Lost was a great show, especially when you consider it was a network show and came out during the reality TV craze. I think it did a ton to save quality television. Between Lost, Leftovers and The Watchmen Lindelof has got it going on.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 01:04 PM   #2657
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Halfway through season 3 of the Leftovers. Still weird.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:06 PM   #2658
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It's supposed to be weird.

Interesting read an article that said Lindelof's original plan for Lost was a 3 season arc. Then it got super popular and that plan went to shit, lol.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2020, 01:41 PM   #2659
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Just started to watch The Handmaid's Tale. I thought I would watch something light and fun.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 01:42 PM   #2660
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
It's supposed to be weird.

Interesting read an article that said Lindelof's original plan for Lost was a 3 season arc. Then it got super popular and that plan went to shit, lol.

Yeah IIRC they were making it up as they went for a couple of seasons before finally getting together and mapping the ending out.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:05 PM   #2661
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Watch that Peyton’s Places show on ESPN+. It’s fantastic. Like a show I feel would have been on during Saturday afternoons In the 80s when I was a kid.

Hamilton is really great.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:44 PM   #2662
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
I’d recommend Alex Garland’s Devs if you haven’t seen it. Set in Silicon Valley, it’s a dark drama set around a huge tech firm, what goes on in the devs department and the lengths to which they will protect it.

Note I didn’t say it was about these things - what it’s about is actually a spoiler!

It’s thought provoking, well acted and well worth eight 45 minute episodes of your time.

I think it’s on FX and Hulu in the states.

I’ll add to my recommendation: there’s a clue as to what the show is all about from minute one, and I’m annoyed I missed it. There’s even a clue in my original post...

It’s not groundbreaking, but it’s entertaining and makes you think
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:57 PM   #2663
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Lost was a great show, especially when you consider it was a network show and came out during the reality TV craze. I think it did a ton to save quality television. Between Lost, Leftovers and The Watchmen Lindelof has got it going on.

Only if you like being teased, edged etc. forever and constantly bombarded with WTF moments & incoherent plots with no promise of tying up loose ends.

Leftovers isn't quite as bad (so far).
Old 07-04-2020, 05:57 AM   #2664
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Only if you like being teased, edged etc. forever and constantly bombarded with WTF moments & incoherent plots with no promise of tying up loose ends.

As someone who watched the entire show versus someone who bailed after a season and a half or so, I’m pretty comfortable with my assessment of the show. It had great characters, was super fun to watch, and had some of the best moments ever. It wasn’t perfect by any stretch, but it was a great watch and totally worth it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:33 AM   #2665
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
As someone who watched the entire show versus someone who bailed after a season and a half or so, I’m pretty comfortable with my assessment of the show. It had great characters, was super fun to watch, and had some of the best moments ever. It wasn’t perfect by any stretch, but it was a great watch and totally worth it.

I'm on this side. I think the final season was disappointing but to throw out all of Lost because of this disappointment misses the good of the rest of the show.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:15 PM   #2666
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I finished Watchmen and really enjoyed it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:31 PM   #2667
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I finished Watchmen and really enjoyed it.

I think it has the best first episode of any series.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:11 PM   #2668
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

Do not expect answers from the Leftovers. They were very clear about that from the outset. The show is about the reaction to the event. What caused that event is irrelevant.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:53 PM   #2669
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Do not expect answers from the Leftovers. They were very clear about that from the outset. The show is about the reaction to the event. What caused that event is irrelevant.

I'm good with that (hey, I'm a zombie fan and can definitely suspend belief on origins). Unlike Lost, I don't get the feeling they are making things up on the fly.

About to finish s2.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:50 PM   #2670
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post

I thought I recall seeing somewhere the final episode wraps everything up nicely.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:26 PM   #2671
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It depends on what you want to believe - there are two very different interpretations

Old 07-05-2020, 02:36 AM   #2672
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I think it has the best first episode of any series.

I did enjoy the first episode a lot. I don't know if I would go that far (because I don't know I have ever really thought about that really), but it does open strong.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:09 AM   #2673
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Anyone watched Warrior Nun yet?
Old 07-05-2020, 08:12 AM   #2674
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just discovered Iconic Eats and Amazon Prime. Really fun show where the hostess does quick blurbs about iconic foods at a certain location, Disney, etc..., while trying them. Each episode is 9-15 minutes and the hostess is fun and quirky.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:15 PM   #2675
PilotMan
Head Coach

Alright, Hamilton was really fucking good. I had avoided almost all things relating to it. It was really impressive. So thankful that it was put on streaming.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:34 PM   #2676
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I thought I recall seeing somewhere the final episode wraps everything up nicely.

Finished it tonight and googled on reviews of the series finale to get the different takes.

I thought s3 was the weakest overall, s1 the strongest. The orgy ferry was just weird, I get what it was trying to accomplish with Matt but many other ways to play it. Kevin's father episode a waste. Going back to "purgatory" was unnecessary I thought.

But the finale was pretty good, little long winded but original and the "what happened answered" presumably.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:04 AM   #2677
Edward64
Head Coach

If interested, watch Hamilton now before it gets banned.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:44 AM   #2678
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Alright, Hamilton was really fucking good. I had avoided almost all things relating to it. It was really impressive. So thankful that it was put on streaming.
It was amazing. I knew it was going to be good, but it blew me away.

I would suggest "Somebody Feed Phil" if you like a fun, light-heart look at food and travel. It is really enjoyable.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:00 AM   #2679
bob
College Starter

Quote:
If interested, watch Hamilton now before it gets banned.

I'm a little afraid to ask, but what now?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:18 AM   #2680
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I'm a little afraid to ask, but what now?

Radical SJW's having fun.

'CancelHamilton' appears on Twitter just days after musical's Disney+ debut - Trends Wide
Quote:
Calls have been made to ‘cancel Hamilton’ just days after the Broadway musical’s streaming debut on Disney+, after a renewed focus on it’s lead character, Founding Father Alexander Hamilton.

The show, created by Lin-Manuel Miranda, portrays Hamilton as a ‘young, scrappy, and hungry’ immigrant and someone who was passionate about the abolition of slavery.

However, in light of recent Black Lives Matter protests, the story has now come under greater scrutiny – with some pointing out that Hamilton was a slave trader.

Although it does not appear that Hamilton ever directly owned any slaves himself, he did marry into a prominent New York slaveholding family, and managed slave sales for his wife’s family.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-06-2020 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:40 AM   #2681
JPhillips
General Manager

Some, maybe all, of those quoted are conservatives who are trolling.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:11 AM   #2682
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So watching the second season of The Wire. MUCH better, IMO. I like the politics of the union fascinating.

Oh, and Hamilton was brilliant. I listened to the Soundtrack a ton, but this was something else.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:30 PM   #2683
Groundhog
Coordinator

Loved Season 1 of Jack Ryan. 3 episodes into Season 2 and so far it's a small step down, but we're still enjoying it. A few too many cliche moments, and I think the guy that played Suleiman is a tough act to follow.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:22 PM   #2684
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Waco was well put together. Did have a bit of a lower budget feel since it was made more network/basic cable.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:19 PM   #2685
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Still watching Season 2 of The Wire. Liking it. Starting watching Carnivale - 2 episodes in, and I'm sad I didn't watch this show before. Wow, what a strange fantastic show!
Old 07-08-2020, 12:40 PM   #2686
spleen1015
Coordinator

I had never really heard of Hamilton before recently with Disney+. What makes it so special and a big deal to be on Disney+?
Old 07-08-2020, 01:14 PM   #2687
PilotMan
Head Coach

for starters it's still the hottest Broadway ticket production around. Even the touring shows are hot tickets. Or were prior to Covid. For that reason, it would never make sense to make it available for streaming. However, because of Covid, they decided to make it available as a movie and Disney scored the rights to it. A chance for everyone to get to see it from home and see what the hype was about. It was released on July 3. Partly why it wasn't talked about prior to that.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 07-08-2020 at 01:15 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:14 PM   #2688
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I had never really heard of Hamilton before recently with Disney+. What makes it so special and a big deal to be on Disney+?

You... what?

The musical was/is a cultural phenomenon, tickets sold out instantly, secondary market prices like 3 times above list price.

So having it filmed and placed on Disney+ allows those of us who couldn't get tickets or priced out an ability to watch it.

As for the musical itself, it's a incredibly well done history of Alexander Hamilton (which some exaggerations of course) done in a musical style of rap and hip-hop as well as some minor showtunes like stuff. The cast is almost all POC (King George III is white though).
Old 07-08-2020, 01:18 PM   #2689
henry296
College Starter

This version was supposed to be released in movie theaters next summer and they brought it forward to Disney+ this year due to COVID.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:27 PM   #2690
miami_fan
Coordinator

Has anyone checked out Home Game on Netflix? It is a 8 episode series about niche sports around the world. I am on episode three about free diving in the Philippines. My favorite so far was the first one. Calcio Storico is insane!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 07-10-2020 at 07:57 PM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:52 PM   #2691
molson
General Manager

I got my girlfriend season tickets to the local outdoor Shakespeare festival this year, which of course was all cancelled - I've been thinking of replacing all of that with Hamilton if and when it ever comes back. It's supposed to come to Boise next year (there's a decent-size theater at Boise St. that gets national touring plays and musicals on the back end of their runs), it'd also be a fun excuse to do a weekend in some random city we'd never otherwise go to. So I'm on the fence about watching it on Disney+ first. I know it wouldn't be "spoiled" in the traditional movie sense, but, I haven't listened to the songs or anything in the expectation I'd see it live first.

Last edited by molson : 07-10-2020 at 07:55 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:00 PM   #2692
JPhillips
General Manager

I get wanting to see it fresh, but I think seeing the film will just make you want to see the live performance more. There's a lot going on and it would be hard to get it all in one viewing.

The downside is that you will be watching two different casts with slightly different interpretations.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:38 AM   #2693
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Old Guard is a good time. I’d give it a 7.5/10. A lot like the Highlander meets John Wick. It’s not perfect but there’s basically no movies coming out this summer.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:24 PM   #2694
Edward64
Head Coach

Got to the intermission of Hamilton.

I'm not a connoisseur but enjoyed it and can see why all the praise, the choreography is fantastic.

I am grateful for close captioning because there were definitely numerous parts where I couldn't understand what they were saying.

Not sure it'd be worth the $400-$800 live but definitely worth the $8 in Disney subscription.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-11-2020 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:37 PM   #2695
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Has anyone checked out Home Game on Netflix? It is a 8 episode series about niche sports around the world. I am on episode three about free diving in the Philippines. My favorite so far was the first one. Calcio Storico is insane!

Yes, I watched the first one, plan to get to the others soon. Right up my alley.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:45 PM   #2696
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Got to the intermission of Hamilton.

I'm not a connoisseur but enjoyed it and can see why all the praise, the choreography is fantastic.

I am grateful for close captioning because there were definitely numerous parts where I couldn't understand what they were saying.

Not sure it'd be worth the $400-$800 live but definitely worth the $8 in Disney subscription.

My wife saw it on broadway twice and said the closed captioning was a game changer. Was hard to understand it all live.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:46 PM   #2697
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just finished season one of mindhunter. Not really sure what to make of it.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:55 AM   #2698
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I liked Mindhunter a lot but it’s annoying they couldn’t get season 3 off the ground for sure.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:13 AM   #2699
Ironhead
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I get wanting to see it fresh, but I think seeing the film will just make you want to see the live performance more. There's a lot going on and it would be hard to get it all in one viewing.

The downside is that you will be watching two different casts with slightly different interpretations.

Agreed. After watching it on Disney+ it has just made my wife and I want to see it in person.

Last edited by Ironhead : 07-12-2020 at 10:14 AM.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 03:12 PM   #2700
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Finished Season 2 of The Wire. Liked it a lot better than S1! The politics involved were fascinating. But I still see as a very good show, but not best show ever. Will continue!