Old 03-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #652
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Oh yeah...duhhhh...that's right!!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #653
PilotMan
Head Coach

Well TK you might as well throw me one too, because I'm racking my brain too.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #654
MrBug708
Head Coach

Im guessing someone was at a feast and told Snow that he was there?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #655
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Well TK you might as well throw me one too, because I'm racking my brain too.

done

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #656
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Im guessing someone was at a feast and told Snow that he was there?

Want a PM?

/tk
Old 03-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #657
MrBug708
Head Coach

Sure!
Old 03-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #658
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschex View Post
If I'm reading that right, I think since he didn't really appear "on-screen" at that event in Book 1, they probably didn't especially since it's likely we would have heard some casting news if they'd promised someone that part. It would be cool though

I would be surprised if his character was cast though. In my GoT bluray, they didn't even have a picture of Stannis on there. (Whether the role was cast or not at that point)
Old 03-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #659
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Yes, I would be very surprised if they cast the person. Would be awesome, but sadly doubtful.

/tk
Old 03-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #660
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
PM sent.

/tk

Thanks!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #661
MrBug708
Head Coach

Apparently there is a graphic novel out?
Old 03-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #662
PilotMan
Head Coach

So I got the Blu-Ray, and in the span of one evening and one day got my wife totally hooked on it as we blew through the whole series.

The casting for Samwell was just damn spot on, while I thought that Baelish wasn't. The new season is exciting since I'll get to see some every once in a while, but having to wait another year for the next blu-ray seems cruel.

Like Steam?

Old 03-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #663
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

That would be the way HBO will attempt to entice you to subscribe
Old 03-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #664
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Apparently there is a graphic novel out?

BARNES & NOBLE | A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel, Volume One by George R. R. Martin, Random House Publishing Group | NOOK Book (eBook), Hardcover
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #665
MrBug708
Head Coach

Old 03-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #666
rowech
Pro Starter

I'm tempted to try and read the first book of the series. My big concern is what appears to be the unreal number of characters. How difficult are they to keep track of?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #667
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I'm tempted to try and read the first book of the series. My big concern is what appears to be the unreal number of characters. How difficult are they to keep track of?

It can be trick for minor characters, but there are very helpful sort of house-by-house appendices in the back of each book that help you keep track of who is who.

I think it's pretty easy to keep track of the major players, but there are a lot of minor players that can get lost in the weeds. That isn't a big deal unless you want it to be really.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #668
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

One, get out of this thread until you finish it. Two, I recommend giving it a try. I had trouble at the beginning of the first book keeping a couple people straight, but by the end I had figured things out and it certainly didn't detract from the story in my opinion. Only at the very end did I realize there was an appendix explaining where everyone fit in.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #669
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Give it a go!

Also if you get confused, there's a pretty decent wiki out there. And there's a relatively inexpensive iPhone and Android app, Game of Thrones Companion, that you can use to help you, too...it has a spoiler setting you can tell it how much of the series you have (or have not) read so it doesn't give you unwanted details.

/tk
Old 03-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #670
PilotMan
Head Coach

Honestly it can be a little daunting at first, and there are a number of terms and phrases that you won't be familiar with either, but don't fret about it. It comes together in a pretty short time, and actually greatly increases your enjoyment as you go from chapter to chapter as each chapter focuses on one character's point of view.

Think Lonesome Dove in scope and concept, with 4 additional books to follow. Get started.

Like Steam?

Old 03-18-2012, 07:56 PM   #671
Groundhog
Coordinator

I printed out a character reference sheet - the ones from the book that I found on a wiki, it's annoying switching back to them on a kindle - and found I had to refer to it often during the first book, less so during the second book, and after that I knew enough of the main characters that I could handle it whenever a new character arose most of the time without needing to refer to the printout.

(...although I have to admit that I still often mix up the Fossoways...)
Old 03-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #672
Galaril
Pro Starter

So is there any place that gives a detailed character by character synopsis or summary since I read the first four books years ago. I have been waiting for the Dance with Dragons book forever and now I am ready to start it. The problem is I can't remember where the last one left off character wise.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #673
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

If you have even the slightest pickiness about style, do not read it. In terms of prose style it's as bad or worse than Stephanie Meyer. I still have the copy of the first book sitting here after forcing myself through the first couple chapters.

Much better as a television series than Martin's novels (and that's with the incredibly predictable dialogue and chain of events in the TV series dinging it somewhat).

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #674
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
So is there any place that gives a detailed character by character synopsis or summary since I read the first four books years ago. I have been waiting for the Dance with Dragons book forever and now I am ready to start it. The problem is I can't remember where the last one left off character wise.

A Feast for Crows - A Song of Ice and Fire Wiki

I think that link will help.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #675
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
If you have even the slightest pickiness about style, do not read it. In terms of prose style it's as bad or worse than Stephanie Meyer. I still have the copy of the first book sitting here after forcing myself through the first couple chapters.

Much better as a television series than Martin's novels (and that's with the incredibly predictable dialogue and chain of events in the TV series dinging it somewhat).

Don't let Izulde's literary snobbishness ruin it for you.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #676
Jas_lov
College Starter

I'm about 100 pages into Book 1 and hope to finish it and get into Book 2 before the Season 2 premiere. If you've seen the show you'll have no problem keeping track of the main characters. I've had to look up a couple people that the main characters have referenced but that's about it. Even if you haven't seen the show there is a nice appendix in the back of the book that breaks down the characters by family line.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #677
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

I'll go out on a limb and call myself a snob here. I know that Izulde is a much more technical writer than I am and therefore more picky about that kind of process, but he is way off in terms of it being better as a tv series. I read the books first and was astounded at how fast the show moved. Entire chunks of time were fast forwarded and on the whole it was accurate, but the books were so much more enjoyable because of the detail. The tv show rocked because the book was great, and the story is fantastic.

Like Steam?

Old 03-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #678
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

FWIW I disagree 100%. Love his writing style and, most of all, his character building. Have gone on to read a few other Martin novels since finishing the ASoIaF books that are currently out and enjoyed those too.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:37 PM   #679
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
FWIW I disagree 100%. Love his writing style and, most of all, his character building. Have gone on to read a few other Martin novels since finishing the ASoIaF books that are currently out and enjoyed those too.

+1
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:59 AM   #680
Landshark44
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
+1

+2 (except for Feast with Crows)........
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:11 AM   #681
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Yeah, the prose ain't Shakespeare but why need it be? The characters and plotting are excellent.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #682
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark44 View Post
+2 (except for Feast with Crows)........

Aye. By far the weakest book so far. I respect him for sticking to his guns plot/setting wise, but in this case it was to the book's detriment.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #683
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Obviously tastes in style are subjective, but I respectfully disagree with Izulde here. I cannot, however, comment as to any comparisons with Stephanie Meyer, since I've never read anything by her and never will.

Like others have said he is great with world building and characters. The world he created feels very much alive. There are certain characters and legends that have been dead years before the start of the series that feel every bit of alive, important and impactful as living characters in other books.

Each chapter of the book is written from a different character's point of view. There are several point of view characters in each book. Martin excels at getting into the head of his characters almost too much so. There have been times that after reading a certain POV chapter I feel a bit dirty and crazy after inhabiting that mind for a bit.

He certainly has his stylistic foibles. He tends to reuse certain odd words or phrases over and over again. He loves to describe food. Man, does he love to describe food.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #684
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
If you have even the slightest pickiness about style, do not read it. In terms of prose style it's as bad or worse than Stephanie Meyer.

Hahahahaha! Great joke there. Oh, wait. You were serious.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #685
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I get what Izulde is trying to say. In terms of the actual quality of the prose the guy is not Shakespeare or hell, even Tolkien if you want to put it in the fantasy genre.

But to me not every book/series I read has to be that way for it to be enjoyable. I'm able to put that aside and enjoy the richness of the world and the nuances of the characters. Does it grate on me at times? Sure. But I don't let it stop me from enjoying the world he's created.

Presumably even Izulde has "guilty pleasures" that he enjoys reading where the prose isn't Nabokov-level. Hopefully. Otherwise his literary experience is rather staid and elitist. I guess this just isn't one of them.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 03-19-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #686
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Based off everything I've read and a lot that I've seen, this season is going to deviate from the book to some extent. In a way, they sort of need to since there are certain major characters in the show and book that really are never "on screen" at all in book 2 or are "on screen" just a very small amount.

There is one pretty pivotal scene in the books that I really wonder if it will make it into the show:

Spoiler
Old 03-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #687
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post

If the Wiki has too much for you, I really do recommend the Game of Thrones Companion app. It is awesome. No, I don't work for the developer. I just think it's a great app. What I like most is that you can put in settings so you don't get spoiled for books you haven't read.

/tk
Old 03-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #688
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,
Game of Thrones Companion

/tk
Old 03-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #689
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

That's awesome tk, thanks for the link.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #690
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Put me also down for prefering the books to the series. The series is top notch, but it can't capture all the detail & the creation of the world that Martin makes. There is a LOT of stuff in there that I wonder if it was a mistake to gloss over or ignore considering what has come in the books or what seems to be yet to come.

For instance:

Spoiler
Old 03-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #691
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Put me also down for prefering the books to the series. The series is top notch, but it can't capture all the detail & the creation of the world that Martin makes. There is a LOT of stuff in there that I wonder if it was a mistake to gloss over or ignore considering what has come in the books or what seems to be yet to come.

For instance:

Spoiler

I would assume that stuff will start to come into play in the backstories told throughout the series.

I do miss it though. Dorne is my favorite.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #692
Izulde
Head Coach

People are making incorrect assumptions here, which I figured might happen. I'll respond after supper.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #693
JPhillips
General Manager

I don't think the prose is great, but I can deal with it unless its a sex scene. Those are downright cringe inducing.

My bigger problem is a lack of direction for the narrative. I told my brother its like reading a history of Europe starting at a random point. Lots of things happen and lots of interesting characters emerge, but the point of the story is unclear.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #694
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Lots of things happen and lots of interesting characters emerge, but the point of the story is unclear.

See, I think that the ending has a certain inevitability to it. The question is what path is it going to take to get there?

Like Steam?

Old 03-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #695
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
See, I think that the ending has a certain inevitability to it. The question is what path is it going to take to get there?

Yeah definitely. My personal thoughts:

Spoiler
Old 03-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #696
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Thank you to everyone for the spoiler tags. As someone who watches the series first and then does the books I appreciate it.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:21 AM   #697
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Yeah definitely. My personal thoughts:

Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 03-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #698
spleen1015
Coordinator

2 days!!
Old 03-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #699
MrBug708
Head Coach

I need to find a way to stream it..
Old 03-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #700
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I don't think the prose is great, but I can deal with it unless its a sex scene. Those are downright cringe inducing.

My bigger problem is a lack of direction for the narrative. I told my brother its like reading a history of Europe starting at a random point. Lots of things happen and lots of interesting characters emerge, but the point of the story is unclear.

I think the thing is that, the last two books aside (that's a whole other can of worms) the seeming lack of direction is very much intended, and I feel like once you get three books in you realize how masterfully it was done. The books are written more like a symphony, rather than a pop song, where the theme might be unclear at first, because it develops so slow, but is 100x more powerful because of it. You have to give Martin some rope ... I know after the first book I wasn't all that impressed, and that's shocking to me to realize now when I look back at my review at hte time. Looking back I realize that book one was perfect, but I had not yet grasped how huge of a task Martin was taking us on with him.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote