Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-15-2016, 03:38 PM   #15801
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think this movie poster would fly in the modern world.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:17 PM   #15802
cuervo72
Head Coach

'I Don't Know Whether to Kiss You or Spank You': A Half Century of Fear of an Unspanked WomanÂ*
Old 04-16-2016, 10:30 PM   #15803
bhlloy
Coordinator

So, if a domesticated dog that looked well taken care of bit me on the ear while I was trying to look at it's tag, and caused a small scratch that bled for a few minutes at the most, I shouldn't be that worried about getting a rabies jab right?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:20 AM   #15804
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Sounds like Judge Judy waiting to happen
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:07 AM   #15805
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
So, if a domesticated dog that looked well taken care of bit me on the ear while I was trying to look at it's tag, and caused a small scratch that bled for a few minutes at the most, I shouldn't be that worried about getting a rabies jab right?

Not a doctor, but I did watch that episode of House where the guy lost his leg after a dog bite! Don't fuck with dog bites!
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:18 AM   #15806
cuervo72
Head Coach

No shot. Dog bite!
Old 04-18-2016, 01:23 PM   #15807
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So, through a bit of happenstance & what not, I'm now part of a three-person group that will submit a (mostly) weekly review of a new rock album release. (It'll be compiled into a minute or so feature as part of their locally produced weekly countdown show). Nothing major honestly, two sentences & a rating on a 1-5 scale, just something I was asked to be part of & I figured why not, it isn't a big time investment.

The first two albums?

Deftones -- which literally caused me to laugh out loud when I was told since I've described them for quite a while as pretty much THE most mystifying (relatively) popular band in the genre. I've tried, repeatedly & over several years, to find ANYTHING from them that either didn't bore me horribly or didn't feel like it was punishment to listen to. I've never succeeded despite those efforts & I still haven't.

Album #2? Filter's new one. Which leans heavily on their industrial rock roots for the majority of the album, and is a mix of bland pop-punk, one radio-friendly track, and a ballad for the rest. Not excatly in my wheelhouse.

So my introduction to the review group? Ratings of 0.5 and 1.5, both of which might actually have been even more generous than I was inclined toward on instinct.

I feel like such a bastard (and not especially in the enjoyable way).
Old 04-18-2016, 03:05 PM   #15808
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
Sounds like an important first step in your emotional development.

Oh I've felt like a bastard -- both good & bad -- plenty of times.

This is more in the sense of, I dunno, like "well I'm sort of a bastard here I guess ... but it's not my fault dammit"

(fwiw, the guy in charge that pulled me into this was very supportive & actually said he was enjoying having someone that graded tough, that it helps things be a little more balanced)
Old 04-19-2016, 07:58 AM   #15809
cuervo72
Head Coach

A man goes into a fast food restaurant to buy his breakfast. Couple of sandwiches, hash browns. Maybe a pie. Drops dead in the parking lot walking back to his car (no resuscitation, just instantly dead).

What happens to his breakfast?
Old 04-19-2016, 08:25 AM   #15810
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
A man goes into a fast food restaurant to buy his breakfast. Couple of sandwiches, hash browns. Maybe a pie. Drops dead in the parking lot walking back to his car (no resuscitation, just instantly dead).

Birds eat it.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:31 AM   #15811
QuikSand
lolzcat

Wrong thread for this.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:08 AM   #15812
bob
College Starter

So Pearl Jam announced yesterday that they were cancelling their Wednesday night show in Raleigh NC due to the NC bathroom laws. Bruce Springsteen did the same thing last week or so, again with less than 48 hours notice. Let's put politics aside here for a second - any idea why they would wait until less than 48 hours before to announce this? The law was signed about a month ago, and its not like there was ongoing negotiations that could have changed it at the last second and allowed the show to go on. So why wait when you really screw over your fan base, who in these cases likely agree with the band's stance?

Some ideas:

1. Doing it at the last second actually causes more issues for fans, making it more likely to get press.

2. Some contractual something makes the decision cost the band less within those 48 hours (seems counter intuitive, but I have no idea how venue contractors work).

3. Cancelling within 48 hours means the union workers scheduled to work the show still get paid (I could see both PJ and Bruce doing this, but again not sure if this is a thing).

Some other reason?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:46 AM   #15813
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think probably 1&3 are a given, and #2 seems possible.

I was trying to google it but it's such a broad search term.

Also I get why pearljam did it, but it's kind of shitty to do cause you know seeing them had to be on a lot of 30-40something's bucket lists.

Last edited by stevew : 04-19-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:53 PM   #15814
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

resigned up for HBO and asked about costs of MASN, 98$ increase to my cable bill for one channel (or package that contains the one channel). WTF!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:07 AM   #15815
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is Curt Schilling the dumbest person alive? Why risk your job by making controversial and unnecessary comments?

-I understand that some may agree with his stance, and I'm not even debating the nature of his comments. Just why would you bother to make those types of comments when the backlash will be so predictable.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:15 AM   #15816
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Is Curt Schilling the dumbest person alive? Why risk your job by making controversial and unnecessary comments?

-I understand that some may agree with his stance, and I'm not even debating the nature of his comments. Just why would you bother to make those types of comments when the backlash will be so predictable.
Because he is an attention whore?
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:26 PM   #15817
Suicane75
Coordinator

What the heck is the difference between salsbury steak and char broiled patties. Am I going to be eating cow ass?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:37 PM   #15818
Suicane75
Coordinator

WTF. Made with chicken, pork and beef. What kind of unholy concoction is that.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:43 PM   #15819
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I suspect he's been trying to get fired for some time to increase his credibility for a Tea Party run for a Congressional seat.

The bigger question is, if Schilling isn't around to be dismissed from ESPN broadcasts, how will Jake Arrieta ever pitch any more no-hitters?

Last edited by Shkspr : 04-21-2016 at 11:49 PM.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:01 AM   #15820
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:

Do you have any daughters?

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:37 AM   #15821
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCY Junkie View Post

Here's what I don't get about this line of thinking: as far as I know every women's bathroom in this country is comprised entirely and exclusively of individual stalls with doors and front facing toilets. Even if I'm going to walk into the women's room and take the most casual, demonstrative piss in the history of the western world nobody's daughter is going to see my dick (unless she works really, REALLY hard to purposely do so). It leaves me with the impression that Schilling (and other critics using this common defense) haven't even given enough thought to the issue to realize that there aren't urinals in the women's bathroom.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 04-22-2016 at 01:00 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:56 AM   #15822
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Your kid has way more of a chance to get touched by someone at church than by a trans person who just wants to take a dump in the bathroom of their preferred gender.

And I do think Schilling is probably aiming for a House seat, although that 38 Studios mess just completely should make him unelectable forever.

Last edited by stevew : 04-22-2016 at 01:29 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:57 AM   #15823
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
WTF. Made with chicken, pork and beef. What kind of unholy concoction is that.

Salisbury steak is like meatloaf but it has all kinds of chunks of peppers and onions in it. Baked most of the way thru and then slow cooked in gravy.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:04 AM   #15824
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Your kid has way more of a chance to get touched by someone at church than by a trans person who just wants to take a dump in the bathroom of their preferred gender.

And I do think Schilling is probably aiming for a House seat, although that 37 Studios mess just completely should make him unelectable forever.

I never got touched by anyone at church, even though I went to the dances and everything.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:13 AM   #15825
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:

Yeah, there's already well established routes for predators to get to kids, just like there's well established laws to keep predators from exposing themselves, or jacking off in bathrooms. I just don't get the thinking that A) there's an army of perverts waiting to hassle our collective daughters, who have only been held back for thousands of years by respect for the sign/symbol on the bathroom door and/or B) letting folks use whatever bathroom they're comfortable with also somehow gives them the legal right to molest you and yours when you are in the bathroom with them.

Last edited by thesloppy : 04-22-2016 at 02:07 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:35 AM   #15826
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCY Junkie View Post

Do you want this person using the bathroom with your daughter? Because that's what Curt Schilling was advocating for.

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:22 AM   #15827
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Do you want this person using the bathroom with your daughter? Because that's what Curt Schilling was advocating for.

Yeah, the irony here is that both sides are nearly arguing the exact same thing. Biological women who look/identify like men don't want to be necessarily forced to share the bathroom with anybody's daughters either, and in those cases I even think most conservative folks would actually agree with them (anything to protect our collective, fictional daughters!), but there are obviously a large number of folk who are unable to process the word "trans" as anything other than a perverted dude wearing a wig and a dress.

Last edited by thesloppy : 04-22-2016 at 02:23 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:25 AM   #15828
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
(anything to protect our collective, fictional daughters!)

Yeah, I didn't even get into the rash of bathroom assaults perpetrated by trans individuals that must have lead to these bills being introduced in states across the country.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:41 AM   #15829
thesloppy
Pro Starter

It also seems worth mentioning that when this argument takes place between angry dudes the women's room seems to get painted as some sort of gentle oasis whose fragile sanctuary is in constant danger, whereas plenty of women/janitors/folks-with-experience-in-both have gleefully told me that any public women's rest room is usually a foul, foul place, beyond it's male counterpart.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:43 AM   #15830
Suicane75
Coordinator

I try and stay as far away from this shit as possible cause it just irritates the hell out of me, but what's the delineation on this law? Is it saying that you can't use a ladies room if your post op, identify as, or both?
Old 04-22-2016, 04:11 AM   #15831
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I try and stay as far away from this shit as possible cause it just irritates the hell out of me, but what's the delineation on this law? Is it saying that you can't use a ladies room if your post op, identify as, or both?

I believe (and it's never a good idea to use me as your source) the NC law proposes you have to use the bathroom matching the sex on your birth certificate.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:59 AM   #15832
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
I never got touched by anyone at church, even though I went to the dances and everything.

Did you try different denominations? Sometimes you have to shop around.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:09 AM   #15833
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I just don't get the thinking that A) there's an army of perverts waiting to hassle our collective daughters, who have only been held back for thousands of years by respect for the sign/symbol on the bathroom door

This is, by far, the most hilarious part of this "debate".
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:14 AM   #15834
timmae
College Starter

Starbucks Reserve in Seattle has 1 unisex bathroom with like 12 regular stalls along with multiple urinal stalls. I am not aware of a regular Mens or Womens room onsite. Everyone goes into the same restroom. The sinks create an interesting exchange as men, women, children, trans and everyone else stand side by side. We'll all human*.

*Or aliens, ghosts or whatnot if you believe in that stuff.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:47 PM   #15835
Suicane75
Coordinator

Is it part of getting old where you just don't have the energy to form an opinion on shit? As an Eagles fan I don't like Washington signing Norman, I think. I dunno, I'm not real sure how good he is. He's good right? Used to be that I'd know. I don't mind not paying attention to shit, except when someone asks me about something I would have easily known about a few years ago, now I just say "I dunno, he's good I guess."

I meander.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:09 PM   #15836
Suicane75
Coordinator

My effing twtter, that I never use, got hacked. I'm now following 1,700 people. Arghhhh.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:17 PM   #15837
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:

I dont know. What did happen to his breakfast?
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 04:43 PM   #15839
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Old 04-23-2016, 09:21 PM   #15840
Easy Mac

Was watching Independence Day.

My 33 year old wife swears she has never seen it, she had zero recollection of Bill Pullman's speech.

I feel like I can legitimately use this against her if for some reason we ever divorce, right?

Edit: she's also never seen The Godfather, Spaceball's, Airplane, or Animal House.

Last edited by Easy Mac : 04-23-2016 at 09:22 PM.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:49 PM   #15841
cuervo72
Head Coach

I've never seen Independence Day, or any of the Godfather movies. And any other number of films - I'm just not a movie person.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:56 PM   #15842
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Was watching Independence Day.

My 33 year old wife swears she has never seen it, she had zero recollection of Bill Pullman's speech.

I feel like I can legitimately use this against her if for some reason we ever divorce, right?

Edit: she's also never seen The Godfather, Spaceball's, Airplane, or Animal House.

Aren't you suppose to vet these things before you marry someone?
Old 04-23-2016, 09:58 PM   #15843
JPhillips
General Manager

The Sherpa documentary on Discovery is great. It's sort of a mountain climbing movie, sort of a cultural study of the Sherpas, and sort of a look at a management/labor dispute.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:45 PM   #15844
nol
Banned

Quote:
I've never seen Independence Day, or any of the Godfather movies. And any other number of films - I'm just not a movie person.

I feel like I've been planning on binging on gangster movies over a weekend for the past few years but have never gotten around to it. Godfather trilogy, Scarface, Heat, Casino, Reservoir Dogs, The Departed, Goodfellas. I guess watching every Scorsese film I haven't already seen would knock out a good portion of that list, but I'm not sure what else I'd be missing from the canon there.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:03 PM   #15845
PilotMan
Head Coach

American Gangster, Bugsy

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 04-23-2016 at 11:03 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:13 PM   #15846
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
I feel like I've been planning on binging on gangster movies over a weekend for the past few years but have never gotten around to it. Godfather trilogy, Scarface, Heat, Casino, Reservoir Dogs, The Departed, Goodfellas. I guess watching every Scorsese film I haven't already seen would knock out a good portion of that list, but I'm not sure what else I'd be missing from the canon there.

That seems like a pretty good list. Off the top of my head with a sprinkle of double checking, here's some stuff that I'd recommend:

Once Upon a Time in America (some of these are arguable, but this is Sergio Leone directing DeNiro in a 4 hour gangster epic)
City of God (Brazil)
A Prophet (France)
Mean Streets
Miller's Crossing
Untouchables
Sexy Beast
Election (Hong Kong)
Layer Cake
Hard Boiled (Hong Kong)
The Killer (Hong Kong)
Sonatine (Japan)
New Jack City
Point Blank (1967 Lee Marvin, there's at least 5 movies with this name)
Get Carter (1971 Caine not Stallone)
Gangster No. 1
The Long Good Friday
Old 04-24-2016, 12:20 AM   #15847
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Drive & City of God would be 2 I recommend
Old 04-24-2016, 12:57 AM   #15848
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Miller's Crossing

Darned good movie IMO
Old 04-24-2016, 12:26 PM   #15849
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Miller's Crossing
Untouchables

Hey, I've actually seen these two! (The first in the theater, actually - HS history club outing to downtown Philly.)
Old 04-26-2016, 01:10 PM   #15850
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:

And I do think Schilling is probably aiming for a House seat, although that 38 Studios mess just completely should make him unelectable forever.

I agree. But even if one kid is touched because of this, that is too many. I don't give a shit about grown people feelings compared to kids safety.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote