Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Chrome

Anyone else using this? Just started yesterday and so far I like it better than IE9.

It seems faster so far (just early impressions), IE 9 seems to have way too much crap going on in the background.

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
lungs
Pro Rookie

I've been using Chrome since I got my new laptop and wouldn't go back.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I tried it out for a little while, but the scripts/plugins available for Chrome to help block iframes and other methods of protecting my system from websites just aren't there yet for me. Hopefully once methods to easily secure Chrome are out there, I'll give it another try.

(note, you can secure Chrome just as well as the other browsers, its just currently a pain to do url by url modifications of that security on the fly and just not really usable for me)

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

any details on the what some of security issues are? Not really much of a surfer (a little shopping, posting here, posting at a lacrosse forum, Facebook... that pretty much makes up most of it).
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
any details on the what some of security issues are? Not really much of a surfer (a little shopping, posting here, posting at a lacrosse forum, Facebook... that pretty much makes up most of it).

Oh, not a security issue with Chrome. One of the most common way people infect people's systems with viruses these days is by actually hacking very well known websites and inserting in special code that then tells people's web browsers to pull some infected virus from a different site when they visit that webpage.

Many many many very well known and common websites have been attacked over the years (including even fofc has had cases where various advertisement banners have been infected at times). So the best way to prevent these from affecting your system is by disabling various parts of web browsers that are most at risk. (Such as disabling scripts from being able to run on webpages, disabling javascript, disabling iframes, etc).

The problem with that however is it then makes some websites pretty worthless or un-usable when you do that at a global level. And many casual web users will then just turn that protection off, making it useless for them. With various plugins for other browsers however you have the ability to specifically allow only what you want or trusted material without globally allowing everything.

For a long time now, Chrome has not had anything like that available, leaving you to either secure everything and make many things less usable, or you could make everything very usable but very insecure. Lately (since I would say Fall or Winter of 2010), there have been some people writing scripts for Chrome that attempt to do the same thing though, but they just aren't there yet. Give them time however and maybe they can be though hopefully.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #6
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I tried it out for a little while, but the scripts/plugins available for Chrome to help block iframes and other methods of protecting my system from websites just aren't there yet for me. Hopefully once methods to easily secure Chrome are out there, I'll give it another try.

(note, you can secure Chrome just as well as the other browsers, its just currently a pain to do url by url modifications of that security on the fly and just not really usable for me)

This. I was using it back in 2009 and loved it, but the security issues turned me off to the point I haven't even looked at it since then. I still prefer Firefox over all other browsers, including Opera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I've been a fan of IE forever, but chrome is freaking sweet. Plus I think the apps idea is really neat. Was playing Angry Birds earlier.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:46 PM   #9
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I've been using FF for a LONG time and tonight I decided to try Chrome.. Holy smokes is it FAST!

Quite surprise how much faster it is then FF.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:20 PM   #10
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Ive been a Chrome exclusive for several years. If you use an android phone its even more of a no brainer.

However the past few days Ive been getting a bunch of "He's dead Jim" failures on multiple machines
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:35 PM   #11
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I had some similar issues a couple days ago, but the issues seem to be gone now. I'm not sure what caused it, but I could load some pages and not others. It was strange.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:11 PM   #12
Groundhog
Coordinator

Big fan of Chrome. I'm forced to use IE here at work, and if it wasn't for that fact I think I would have probably forgotten it even existed. Can't stand it.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:33 PM   #13
Dutch
"Dutch"

Hopefully you will like Edge.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:02 AM   #14
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I've read Chrome is still better than Edge.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:34 AM   #15
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Using Edge right now, seems fine except for the Bing bullshit. Gotta fight my way through the settings and get that sorted out.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:50 AM   #16
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Using Edge right now, seems fine except for the Bing bullshit. Gotta fight my way through the settings and get that sorted out.

There is a way to change that.. I know I did right off the bat.

I still think Chrome is better.. for now.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:31 AM   #17
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
There is a way to change that.. I know I did right off the bat.

I still think Chrome is better.. for now.

Yeah I got it figured out, they just have it buried in the settings a bit.

Chrome is my go-to on a standard desktop/laptop, but it still sucks for touch. Amazingly the Edge Developer Tools actually look half decent (at a glance), will be interesting to see if they are on par with Chrome's or not (but I won't get that chance for awhile as my employer has no plans to update to Win10 any time soon).
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote