Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-07-2013, 11:44 PM   #1
Galaxy
Coordinator

Tokyo gets 2020 Summer Olympics

Not really a surprising choice considering the problems with Spain and Turkey, thought it is a bit surprising to have back-to-back Olympic events in one concentrated region (not even Asia, but the Far East).

Tokyo Chosen to Host 2020 Summer Olympics - WSJ.com

Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:03 AM   #2
whomario
Pro Starter

well, it´s not that unheard of really. There was Spain and France within the same year in 92, Italy and Greece in 04/06. Lake Placid and LA, too.
There was also supposed to be Montreal and Denver in 1976 (but the people in Colorado decided not to fund it)

Asia and especially Japan/Korea get more and more attractive for big time sporting events with their great infrastructure and financial backing.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:15 AM   #3
spleen1015
Coordinator

Hopefully this is a sign that baseball & softball will be back in the Olympics as well.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Now with glow in the dark water!

I'm cool with the choice. I would like to see Istanbul get an Olympics one of these days. I think they deserve to have one and the infrastructure and economic impact would be good for them. Anyone who thinks Turkey is some "backwater Middle Eastern country" is sorely mistaken.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Hopefully this is a sign that baseball & softball will be back in the Olympics as well.

Will you settle for wrestling?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Will you settle for wrestling?

Nope. Lame.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:12 PM   #7
Galaxy
Coordinator

USOC selects Boston as its bid for 2024.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:16 PM   #8
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I said to TK...I'm torn.

It'd be cool, but it'll be a massive boondoggle for corruption and more runaway spending.

So yeah...I dunno.

Then again, 10 years is a long ways away.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:33 PM   #9
Izulde
Head Coach

Awesome. Tokyo is a fun as hell city.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:02 PM   #10
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I said to TK...I'm torn.

It'd be cool, but it'll be a massive boondoggle for corruption and more runaway spending.

So yeah...I dunno.

Yeah. We actually do have most of the infrastructure and existing stadiums (Harvard Stadium, Nickerson, hopefully a Revs stadium in the seaport), so if they were fine with Foxboro being the main stadium I'd be fine with it, but any attempt to put a 60,000+ seat stadium near downtown is a huge joke and will be a complete waste of space since Kraft will never move the Patriots there now that he has all that commercial development in Foxboro. Otherwise, sure, why not - there's gonna be a shit ton of corruption surrounding Seaport development anyway, maybe an Olympic push would let them actually focus on making it a cohesive whole instead of going neighborhood by neighborhood and fighting each small zoning board.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:13 PM   #11
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Now with glow in the dark water!

I'm cool with the choice. I would like to see Istanbul get an Olympics one of these days. I think they deserve to have one and the infrastructure and economic impact would be good for them. Anyone who thinks Turkey is some "backwater Middle Eastern country" is sorely mistaken.

SI

Istanbul would be an interesting choice. Turkey is an awesome country, and very underrated as a travel spot IMO.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:13 AM   #12
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I said to TK...I'm torn.

So yeah...I dunno.

After the way the Big Dig went what could possibly go wrong?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:22 AM   #13
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Awesome. Tokyo is a fun as hell city.

Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Istanbul would be an interesting choice. Turkey is an awesome country, and very underrated as a travel spot IMO.

Agreed again!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:29 AM   #14
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Honestly, I think Boston's a better choice for the Winter Olympics than the Summer ones.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:03 PM   #15
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Honestly, I think Boston's a better choice for the Winter Olympics than the Summer ones.
I'd like it, but where would you put the skiing events? Sunday River/Mt. Snow are like 4 hours away and I'm not sure they're big enough for the downhill. Killington/Jay Peak are like 8 hours away.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:10 PM   #16
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

The skiing you put at Sugarloaf, which is plenty big and also has a very big area for the nordic events. Yes, it's like 8 hours from Boston, but just get over the fact that people won't be going back-and-forth daily and it'll be fine.

Of course, I'm biased.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:12 PM   #17
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
The skiing you put at Sugarloaf, which is plenty big and also has a very big area for the nordic events. Yes, it's like 8 hours from Boston, but just get over the fact that people won't be going back-and-forth daily and it'll be fine.

Of course, I'm biased.

Works for me. And with the Olympics now saying that they're okay with "regional bids" I don't think they'd even bat an eye at that.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:14 PM   #18
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Works for me. And with the Olympics now saying that they're okay with "regional bids" I don't think they'd even bat an eye at that.
I've often wondered why you couldn't do a combined Boston/NYC/(Hartford) bid, or like Philadelphia/Washington/(Baltimore). Maybe it would hurt the Olympic Village experience to be split up into two parts, but it would pretty much eliminate any need to build venues.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:16 PM   #19
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I'd like it, but where would you put the skiing events? Sunday River/Mt. Snow are like 4 hours away and I'm not sure they're big enough for the downhill. Killington/Jay Peak are like 8 hours away.

Umm..it's 3 hours to Burlington from Boston, so now way Killington is EIGHT hours away. It's like 3.5 hours.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:27 PM   #20
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Umm..it's 3 hours to Burlington from Boston, so now way Killington is EIGHT hours away. It's like 3.5 hours.
Wow, Google Maps has it under 3 hours (given no traffic and good road conditions). Could've sworn it was more, probably because I've only ever driven up there from WMass, (where's its still a 3 hour drive) but 93/89 cut right to it.

You've definitely convinced me - forget the Summer Olympics and let's do a combined Boston/Killington bid for the winter Olympics!
Old 07-27-2015, 02:22 PM   #21
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
USOC selects Boston as its bid for 2024.

Never mind.

Boston out as U.S. candidate to host 2024 Olympics after USOC severs ties
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:22 PM   #22
Logan
Head Coach

Good job by Boston.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:06 PM   #23
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Good job by Boston.

Seems like the politicians were doing their job for once...

Quote:
Earlier Monday, Boston Mayor Marty Walsh announced he would not be pressured into signing the host-city contract that puts the city on the hook for any cost overruns. Gov. Charlie Baker had been unwilling to pledge his support, waiting instead to see a full report from a consulting group that wasn't scheduled to be completed until next month.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:18 PM   #24
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Seems like the politicians were doing their job for once...

Or were they?

I mean, if the outside analysis (which will still be completed & presumably paid for) was so critical for the governor to see before committing the state then why was it either requested too late or contracted insufficiently as to be ready in a timely fashion?

I'm not fan of Olympic hosting -- found the experience in Atlanta to be mildly annoying & not particularly interesting frankly -- but this seems more like a botched keystone cops effort than a well considered job well done by anybody.