Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-21-2010, 08:26 PM   #1751
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Did I miss where we discussed this? OMG, OMG, OMG. Going to be a long 11 months to wait

Old 12-21-2010, 08:31 PM   #1752
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
I've played multiplayer in both the Battlefield Bad Company 2 & Call of Duty series of games. So I thought I would jump into the Halo Reach multiplayer, but I'll be damned if I know what I am doing, and seem to be completely clueless. Anyone care to help a Reach noob out? Any good sites I can go to read about the differences? Do I really need to complete the campaign before jumping into multiplayer (I didn't for the other two series either, but with better results)?

My two cents, as someone who doesn't really have a Halo background is that it's rough sledding for MP unless you've been a long time addict. That said, I found the biggest difference for me, in terms of finding some success with Reach MP, was to forget most of my habits from the others. I'm much more of a camper than a run n' gunner, but with Reach MP wide ass open seems to be about the only way to play. Forget about deaths, just concentrate on kills. Also, playing significant amounts in order to learn the particulars of individual maps made more of a difference for me in Halo games than with the others. I found the Halo games (having played on ODST & Reach mostly) to be an even harder core community in terms of hours playing than any of the others you mentioned (which pretty much cover 99% of my online multiplayer experiences).
Old 12-21-2010, 08:33 PM   #1753
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The EA Boss somehow thinks the magical Gamer Fairies are going to get Sony ahead of Microsoft in this generation.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:38 PM   #1754
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Figure if everyone is going to kill everyone then team play goes right out the window and I don't have to listen to anyone...

Honestly I haven't noticed much effort toward actual team strategy in 90% of the team mode games anyway, at least not in terms of game chat anyway. Maybe there's groups doing party chat & it's happening there but as a single player entering into a random team game, you're aren't missing much chatter one way or the other IMO.

Quote:
Maybe I'm missing it, but wish free for all matched you more with people in the same skill sets. If I can manage a kill ratio of 1:1, I'm happy. Some of these guys have 30:1 ratios, which I have absolutely no idea how.

You sound like me re: 1:1 being considered a successful round. I think a big part of the problem with the matchmaking is that there aren't that many 1:1 players consistently active; i.e. even if it had a skill preference setting like Halo offers, I'm not sure how much it would help unless you were willing to wait interminable time to get a full match. Even with that setting in Reach, I find myself badly outmatched simply because the game can't find enough players at my level of suck to make a full game in reasonable amount of time.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:59 PM   #1755
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Game content question I'm hoping will get a solid answer (no pun intended) here.

How do the sex scenes/sexual content in Mass Effect 2 compare with what's in, say, Fallout:New Vegas. For all the micro-tempest about Sheppard whoring around in ME, I'm unclear on how much more graphic it is than what happens with the fade-to-black-with-minor-sound-effects version of "sex" in New Vegas. Just a parent looking for some clarity here, don't want to make a decision based on bad assumptions instead of getting good info y'know?
Old 12-21-2010, 09:12 PM   #1756
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Game content question I'm hoping will get a solid answer (no pun intended) here.

How do the sex scenes/sexual content in Mass Effect 2 compare with what's in, say, Fallout:New Vegas. For all the micro-tempest about Sheppard whoring around in ME, I'm unclear on how much more graphic it is than what happens with the fade-to-black-with-minor-sound-effects version of "sex" in New Vegas.

I seem to remember the scene with Jack (female) being rather intimate/graphic along the lines of a soap opera. I think I remember her just coming out and saying something to the affect of 'Want to Fuck'
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:13 PM   #1757
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Is there a mute button issue with Black Ops? I don't understand why it is 50/50 at best that the mute button shows up when I select someone. (?)
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 12-21-2010, 09:15 PM   #1758
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...2+romance&aq=0

Spoilers, but those are the sex scenes. I thought they were silly, just tacked on to garner controversy. Do not effect or have anything to do with the rest of the game or story.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:58 PM   #1759
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...2+romance&aq=0

Spoilers, but those are the sex scenes. I thought they were silly, just tacked on to garner controversy. Do not effect or have anything to do with the rest of the game or story.

Thanks. I wasn't having much luck finding them for some reason, kept finding ones that had been taken down due to copyright, etc. Those were very helpful in putting what I'd heard + what I expected into the proper perspective. I've seen racier stuff on TeenNick, plus it's easier than I expected to avoid (not to mention seemingly smarter from a game play perspective).

FWIW, I've been sitting here watching my son play ME2 for the past couple of hours now.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #1760
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Meanwhile, in conjunction with the ME2 discussion, I wonder if I'm the only person who looks at it and thinks "damn this reminds me a lot of KOTOR"

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-22-2010 at 09:17 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:21 PM   #1761
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Meanwhile, in conjunction with the ME2 discussion, I wonder if I'm the only person who looks at it and thinks "damn this reminds me a lot of KOTOR"

I'd finish alot more games if they were all like Mass Effect and KOTOR..
Old 12-22-2010, 09:34 PM   #1762
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

It, uh. Ought to.

Sci-fi RPG from BioWare? Yeah, there's some differences, but that's more in the way of evolution than radically new game.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:41 PM   #1763
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
It, uh. Ought to.Sci-fi RPG from BioWare?

Ah. What's missing from my comment is personal context: I spent maybe an hour fiddling with KOTOR myself, otherwise it's just something I've glanced at while my son was playing. That they came from the same developer wasn't even in my head when I made that remark, that's how off my radar the older of the two was.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:42 PM   #1764
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, there's some differences, but that's more in the way of evolution than radically new game.

My point, if there was one, was more along the lines of ME2 got so much hype I was expecting ... something else.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:55 PM   #1765
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
My point, if there was one, was more along the lines of ME2 got so much hype I was expecting ... something else.

Eh. ME2 is probably actually a more radical departure from the KotOR formula than the first Mass Effect was.

ME2 is almost really a run-and-gun shooter where KotOR used the d20 system and had more of a tactical feel - you could have the game pause itself between 'turns' so that you could set up your next move.

ME2, somebody who plays your FPS/3PS style games well is going to have more success than someone who's more used to a traditional RPG, even of the action bent.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:29 AM   #1766
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I loved ME2. I had a blast playing that game.

While I certainly didn't play anywhere near close to every game that came out in 2010, ME2 would win my vote for "Game of The Year."

I laughed out loud on multiple occassions while playing it, which is very rare for me when playing a game. It also had angry, violent bald Jack and I loves me some angry, violent bald women like Rex Ryan loves pretty, sexy feet.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #1767
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
While I certainly didn't play anywhere near close to every game that came out in 2010, ME2 would win my vote for "Game of The Year."

Several publications would agree with you. I've seen ME2 listed in several as their Game of the Year.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:36 PM   #1768
SackAttack
Head Coach

I was debating last night whether to spring for both of the ME2 DLC packs I don't have yet when they go on special in a few days, or to only get one.

I apparently no longer need make that decision.

Can anybody top 61 months in the "Xbox 360 Survivor Pool"?
Old 12-23-2010, 05:09 PM   #1769
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I was debating last night whether to spring for both of the ME2 DLC packs I don't have yet when they go on special in a few days, or to only get one.

I apparently no longer need make that decision.

Can anybody top 61 months in the "Xbox 360 Survivor Pool"?

Alas no. My new (slim black) one was in my possession for a month before the disc drive died. It should be coming back from Microsoft this week. If it dies again, I'm going to just stick with my PS3.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:51 AM   #1770
Atocep
Coordinator

Any adventure game fans out there?

Telltale Games (Monkey Island) just released the first episode of their Back to the Future game. The reviewer on IGN admitted he isn't a big adventure game fan, but still found it fun and gave it an 8.5.

I just picked it up on Steam. I enjoyed the new Monkey Island game so I can post some impressions if anyone is interested.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:04 AM   #1771
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Played with the BFBC2 Vietnam DLC for an hour or so tonight. Fun for what it is & does sort of freshen the multi-player game a little.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:12 AM   #1772
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is there any way to reduce lag on the PS3? I see so many times where I lose a shootout in Black Ops. And in the kill cam I never even fired. It gets so bad at night I can't even play.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:08 AM   #1773
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

Telltale Games (Monkey Island) just released the first episode of their Back to the Future game. The reviewer on IGN admitted he isn't a big adventure game fan, but still found it fun and gave it an 8.5.

I just picked it up on Steam. I enjoyed the new Monkey Island game so I can post some impressions if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the heads-up. Absolutely love BTTF so I'll be picking this one up as well. $23 for 5 episodes is not a bad deal at all.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:17 AM   #1774
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

Is there a cost for each episode or when you buy the first you get the next 4 as they are released?
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:23 AM   #1775
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Is there any way to reduce lag on the PS3? I see so many times where I lose a shootout in Black Ops. And in the kill cam I never even fired. It gets so bad at night I can't even play.

Could the lag be caused by an older wireless router?
Old 12-24-2010, 08:39 AM   #1776
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW View Post
Is there a cost for each episode or when you buy the first you get the next 4 as they are released?

It's my understanding that you pay up front, and the rest are delivered to you for no additional fee when they are released.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:28 PM   #1777
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Could the lag be caused by an older wireless router?
. I'm going to switch it with a different router I bought.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:18 AM   #1778
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Can anyone recommend a good Indie Computer game news site? I think once upon a time Game Tunnel seemed to be ok, but they haven't updated anything in over a year.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:20 PM   #1779
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Can anyone recommend a good Indie Computer game news site? I think once upon a time Game Tunnel seemed to be ok, but they haven't updated anything in over a year.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/

They kind of cover the indie games rather decently although they don't do it specifically.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #1780
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/

They kind of cover the indie games rather decently although they don't do it specifically.

Case in point, check their 25 days of Christmas list. Download Desktop Dungeon because it's free. Think of it being like an old school D&D board game that has fog of war similar to Minesweep. It's not easy either. I was one attack away from killing the boss on the first dungeon, but ties go to the creatures and there literally was no move I could make to get enough health to survive the counterstrike.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #1781
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I've heard a ton of great stuff for the game Vanquish, has anyone played it?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:37 PM   #1782
Tasan
College Starter

WRONG YEAR!!!

;- )
Old 01-14-2011, 03:15 PM   #1783
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
WRONG YEAR!!!

;- )

Game came out October 2010
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:04 PM   #1784
Tasan
College Starter

Touche!
Old 04-20-2011, 12:39 PM   #1785
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
What about a Pervis Ellison vs Oliver Miller dunk contest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I love it. I also want an Oliver Miller chair-throwing contest.

Maybe we can settle for an Oliver Miller pistol whipping/competitive bbq eating contest?

Report: Ex-Piston Oliver Miller arrested on assault charges at barbecue

DETROIT NEWS
Former Piston Oliver Miller was arrested on assault and gun charges in Edgewater, Md., a Washington D.C. television station is reporting.

Miller, who played for the Pistons in 1994-95, allegedly pistol whipped a man at a barbecue, WUSA9 reported on its website Tuesday. Miller, 41, wasn't at the home in Arnold, Md., when police arrived, but eyewitness accounts led to his arrest.

Miller, who went to college in Arkansas and played nine seasons in the NBA, never got his immense weight issue under control, routinely hovering over the 300-pound mark. During his one season in Detroit he averaged 8.5 points and 7.4 rebounds.

He last played in Minnesota in 2003-04.

According to the report, Miller is being charged with first and second degree assault, reckless endangerment, having a handgun on person, using a handgun in a violent crime, possessing a handgun in a vehicle, disorderly conduct and other related charges.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 04-20-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:40 PM   #1786
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Yes, my prior post was completely random and I am not sure why I remembered there were Oliver Miller references in this thread, but this is what happens when I don't have enough to do at work.

You have been warned.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:41 PM   #1787
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Who says the NBA is a "thug league"?? Pfft...nobody even got shot...
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #1788
MikeVic
Head Coach

Hahaha that's great! I don't even remember the Pervis and Oliver Miller references!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:24 PM   #1789
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

mike anderson wouldn't stand for this shit
Old 04-20-2011, 04:34 PM   #1790
MikeVic
Head Coach

The Broncos RB?
Old 04-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #1791
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
The Broncos RB?
Yeah, I hear he's coaching basketball now and also running for president of your heart.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:36 PM   #1792
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Yeah, I hear he's coaching basketball now and also running for president of your heart.

What exactly does any of this have to do with dongs?
Old 04-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #1793
MikeVic
Head Coach

Well, he's got a lot of competition for my heart. Who's running as his vice president? That makes a big difference.

Also Google tells me this is Mike Anderson you liar:
Old 04-20-2011, 04:41 PM   #1794
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Hmmm...Mike Anderson's alter-ego is Egghead. Who knew??
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:07 PM   #1795
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

honolulu_blue wants more dongs in this thread im just saying
Old 04-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #1796
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
May 17th can't get here fast enough.

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote