Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-28-2017, 10:58 PM   #6551
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post
- Context - Why were these men stranded on Dunkirk? Why was the British Navy not rescuing them? Why were the Germans not slaughtering them like monkeys in a barrel and only attacking with 3 planes at a time? I had to go read the Wikipedia article afterward just to find out what the heck was going on. Assuming the audience just "knows" the history of this event and leaving it out of the movie is like the "Titanic" director just deciding everyone knows the ship sinks so not showing that part. What??
It's been awhile since I've seen it, but I seem to recall the ship sinking in Titanic being a pretty big part of the last hour.

Anyways, I saw a couple people mention it briefly last year but I saw The Nice Guys last night now that it's on HBO and I highly recommend it if you're a fan of Shane Black films like The Last Boy Scout & Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Nobody does that action/noir genre better.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:49 AM   #6552
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
It's been awhile since I've seen it, but I seem to recall the ship sinking in Titanic being a pretty big part of the last hour.

Anyways, I saw a couple people mention it briefly last year but I saw The Nice Guys last night now that it's on HBO and I highly recommend it if you're a fan of Shane Black films like The Last Boy Scout & Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Nobody does that action/noir genre better.

I don't think revrew was suggesting Cameron had actually glossed over that part in Titanic. He was putting up the hypothetical of if Cameron had.

Interesting take on the Nice Guys. I never saw it, but I loves both of the other movies you mentioned.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:43 PM   #6553
Edward64
Head Coach

Spiderman - 8/10

Really enjoyed the movie. Thought it was really well done with good humor throughout. I think this is the best Spiderman so far. One for my blu-ray collection.

Just a couple dings, nothing big. There were 2 characters in the movie that were nothing like the comic books (or at least when I read them), and getting the prom date was way too easy!
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:08 PM   #6554
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yep. Only I wouldn't go as high as a 5.

Now, to really stir the hornet's nest:

Dunkirk - 3/10

Interesting ... if nothing else because I recently saw a judge who I went to school with describe it as "if you only see one movie in your entire life this should be the one"

That's certainly suggestive of it being ... polarizing.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:57 PM   #6555
chinaski
College Prospect

Just got back from seeing Dunkirk in 70mm. I don't see how anyone could dislike the movie tbh or even rate it below a 7/10. 10/10. An absolute masterpiece from top to bottom. I had chills for just about every minute of the movie. My body physically hurts now from being so tense the entire time, hahaha.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:00 PM   #6556
chinaski
College Prospect

I see Dunkirk easily winning best picture, director, movie, cinematography, editing, and everything related to sound.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:29 PM   #6557
Groundhog
Coordinator

Haven't seen Dunkirk, but agree with the polarizing statement - everyone I know who has seen it either loved it or hated it, and it's pretty split.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:35 AM   #6558
molson
General Manager

If you're in at a situation in life where you watch romantic comedies, either by choice or not, The Big Sick is very entertaining one. Kumail Nanjiani falls for a white girl while his family is trying to arrange a traditional Muslim marriage for him. Directed by Michael Showalter from The State and Wet Hot American Summer.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:58 PM   #6559
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
If you're in at a situation in life where you watch romantic comedies, either by choice or not, The Big Sick is very entertaining one. Kumail Nanjiani falls for a white girl while his family is trying to arrange a traditional Muslim marriage for him. Directed by Michael Showalter from The State and Wet Hot American Summer.

It was fantastic.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:12 PM   #6560
Edward64
Head Coach

Dunkirk - 6/10

Saw it today. Had great visuals and love the closeup of the Spitfires. The soundtrack always playing in the background adding to the mood.

But was disappointed, it didn't seem much of anything TBH.

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-06-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:59 PM   #6561
Critch
lolzcat

T2 Trainspotting - 6.5/10

Followup to Trainspotting, same characters 20 years later, Scottish crooks and junkies now in middle age. The movie didnt get much of a public release in the US (no cinemas near me anyway), so it's been out quite a while and is now ondemand.

I quite enjoyed it, wasnt great but not awful either, heavy on style and a bit light on actual storyline. Danny Boyle is the director, so the style is similar to the original, the original characters and actors back again. Not quite a 7, but better than a 6 for me, so 6.5/10. I wasnt a great fan of the original movie either, I'd probably give that a 7/10, but the original novel is one of my favorites. Irvine Welsh's early novels were brilliant, unfortunately he's been churning out pish for 20 years since the first 3.

Last edited by Critch : 08-06-2017 at 11:00 PM.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:22 PM   #6562
Izulde
Head Coach

The Wedding Party (With Blake Lee, not the Nigerian one) - 6.5/9
Okay, so the split rating needs some explanation here. For the most part, this is boilerplate romcom that's enjoyable and entertaining. The actors are mostly good (there's one actor who I whatevered about), and the script is a mixed bag - moments where it shines, others where it falls into speech/tell mode, and leaves a couple plot points dangling or with unsatisfying resolutions, despite initial quality setups. Were this a normal film, I'd slap a 6.5 on it - an aggregate above average offering in the genre that I liked and wouldn't mind seeing it again.

What elevates the film to a 9, and makes it truly transcendent is that the entire 2ish hours is in a *single take*. That, combined with the beauty of the set, makes it the most technically brilliant move I've seen in years, maybe ever. It enhances emotional investment in the story and raises it from like to absolutely love for me, in a way that it never could have if it were traditionally shot. Definitely one I'll be watching multiple times because of that.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:12 AM   #6563
Groundhog
Coordinator

War for the Planet of the Apes - 8/10
Very different to what I expected in that it focused on characters rather than action (given the title), but it was all the better for it. I really liked the entire trilogy, and this was a solid ending... although sounds like there might be more.

John Wick 2 - 5/10
I was surprised this got such good reviews. I loved the first one, thought this one paled in comparison.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:25 AM   #6564
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

I'll add to the debate: Dunkirk 10/10

It is a war movie as much as Gravity is sci-fi film. Both are escape films filled with angst, despair and involuntary persistence.

Last edited by AENeuman : 08-07-2017 at 12:26 AM.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:33 PM   #6565
Edward64
Head Coach

King Arthur - 7.5/10

Got the blu-ray and was somewhat surprised at how much I enjoyed this movie. Great action, great special effects. It wasn't true to the traditional story but didn't mind.

I don't know much about Guy Ritchie, saw "Man from Uncle" and thought that movie dragged on. But I did enjoy his accelerated time sequences, the fight scenes were pretty cool, and scenery was pretty.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:50 AM   #6566
Groundhog
Coordinator

The Dark Tower - 2/10

Wow. What a hot mess. They threw my favourite book series in a blender for the big screen. Idris was actually pretty solid, but I don't think anyone could have saved this shitty script. What a wasted opportunity.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:34 AM   #6567
Kodos
Resident Alien

Wow. That has got to be disappointing for Stephen King fans.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:11 AM   #6568
korme
Go Reds

LOGAN LUCKY
Soderbergh is really at his best when he does fun heist movies. The whole thing was a re-brand of the Ocean's series in a good way. Adam Driver is awesome in this thing, Daniel Craig steals the show, and Riley Keough is smokin'.

8.5/10
Old 08-18-2017, 11:14 AM   #6569
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Wow. That has got to be disappointing for Stephen King fans.

I haven't seen it yet (The Dark Tower is my favorite Stephen King work by far), but I can't imagine many true King fans expected a lot out of this movie. I'm going to watch what I'm hoping will be a decent check-your-brain-at-the-door action film.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:23 PM   #6570
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah I avoided rotten tomatoes but still I expected it to be bad going in. Somehow it still managed to surprise me with exactly how bad it was. The whole tone of the movie was "young adult" too, with a heavy focus on Jake.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:38 PM   #6571
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I'm hoping the promise of 'It' will be a nice recovery piece for King fans. One of my most anticipated films this summer/fall for sure.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:42 PM   #6572
tarcone
Coordinator

It was a great book for about the first 100 pages. Then it lost me. I really dont know how good a movie it will be.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:45 PM   #6573
Groundhog
Coordinator

Not a movie, but Mr Mercedes episode 1 was a pretty great translation of King's book to screen. 100x better than Dark Tower. I was surprised with a few of the details they left in.

I never read 'It' because I saw the TV movie when I was a kid and have never been motivated to read it after that, but I'm quietly hopeful it will be good. The TV movie hasn't aged well, but at the time it was creepy as hell and the new movie looks like it's captured that feeling based on the trailers.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:12 AM   #6574
Edward64
Head Coach

Snatched - 6.5 / 10

I use a scale of 7+ to mean that I would buy the blu-ray and rewatch. Unfortunately, even though Snatched was pretty funny the first half, it went downhill from there.

I think Amy Schumer is a good actress, she's got a wide range of entertaining facial expressions and enjoyed Goldie Hawn also. Once they starting getting the brother engaged was when I started dozing off, he tried too hard and didn't really understand why he was relevant.

Overall entertaining, not quite as bad a 2 stars from some reviews but not a keeper for me.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:49 AM   #6575
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

After all the terrible reviews/press/opinions of The Dark Tower, I was pleasantly surprised. Not sure how much better you can do a 90-minute runtime version of an eight-book, 4,250 page series. It was an extremely light outline of the novels. Would I have liked a more suitably epic treatment of the saga? Absolutely. For what it was, however, it was fairly well done.

Criticisms (aside from the obvious I wish it were better/longer/more accurate/etc):
  • For a movie that was only an hour and a half long, we spent way too little time with Roland and way too much time with Jake at the beginning of the film.
  • Part of the greatness of The Man in Black is the mystery...way too much screen time for Walter, though I think McConaughey did a pretty great job.
  • The action scenes were ok until the climax, when they went full Last Action Hero terribad.
  • Similarly, I think they did a piss-poor job with Roland's shooting ability. Seemed like nothing more than movie magic, rather than the mystique that surrounds a Gunslinger.
  • The very end of the movie, post climax, was effing atrocious.
  • I have no idea how or why they did not start the movie in the desert. One scene, perhaps 20 seconds long, would have done a ton to set the tone.

Praise:
  • The acting was pretty great all the way around.
  • Although they spent too much time doing it, the character development for Jake was pretty well done, and helped guide/streamline the movie.
  • The small nods to King's other work were tasteful.
  • The omitted characters, though many and disappointing, would have bogged the movie down a ton (development, etc). I think they chose wisely.
  • Conversely to Roland's shooting abilities, I think they absolutely nailed his ability to reload.

All in all, better than what I expected going in.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:07 PM   #6576
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Goon: The Last Enforcer - 7/10

I liked this sequel to the surprise hit of a few years back. The thing was kinda sloppy, but when it was hitting, it hit real well IMO. Had a little heart to it, maybe not as much as the original though. Thought there were a few characters who were awful, such as Jay Baruchel's character, who I guess was just a throwaway character, but I thought what few lines his guy had were pretty forced and kinda slowed the momentum of the scenes he was in. Overall, it was a solid sequel that didn't quite hit the highs of the original, and it was worth a watch.

Icarus - 9/10 -

This is a really engaging Netflix documentary I highly recommend. It starts off as a fairly innocuous and interesting investigation into the effects of doping on a regular athlete but turns into something WAY bigger and deeper than that. Political intrigue and drama all over the place. Very engaging doc.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 08-24-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:14 PM   #6577
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
After all the terrible reviews/press/opinions of The Dark Tower, I was pleasantly surprised. Not sure how much better you can do a 90-minute runtime version of an eight-book, 4,250 page series. It was an extremely light outline of the novels. Would I have liked a more suitably epic treatment of the saga? Absolutely. For what it was, however, it was fairly well done.

Criticisms (aside from the obvious I wish it were better/longer/more accurate/etc):
  • For a movie that was only an hour and a half long, we spent way too little time with Roland and way too much time with Jake at the beginning of the film.
  • Part of the greatness of The Man in Black is the mystery...way too much screen time for Walter, though I think McConaughey did a pretty great job.
  • The action scenes were ok until the climax, when they went full Last Action Hero terribad.
  • Similarly, I think they did a piss-poor job with Roland's shooting ability. Seemed like nothing more than movie magic, rather than the mystique that surrounds a Gunslinger.
  • The very end of the movie, post climax, was effing atrocious.
  • I have no idea how or why they did not start the movie in the desert. One scene, perhaps 20 seconds long, would have done a ton to set the tone.

Praise:
  • The acting was pretty great all the way around.
  • Although they spent too much time doing it, the character development for Jake was pretty well done, and helped guide/streamline the movie.
  • The small nods to King's other work were tasteful.
  • The omitted characters, though many and disappointing, would have bogged the movie down a ton (development, etc). I think they chose wisely.
  • Conversely to Roland's shooting abilities, I think they absolutely nailed his ability to reload.

All in all, better than what I expected going in.

Acting was good. I think that was the one positive for me.

It was basically a Jake movie which, along with the pace of the movie and cartoon-like villain, made it feel like a Hunger Games take on the books. The post-apocalyptic town in Mid-World looked like a set from Xena Warrior Princess too.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:09 PM   #6578
Edward64
Head Coach

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 8.5/10

One of the better movies I've seen this year. Fun acting, great action, great special effects and very cute baby groot.

I think you have to go in expecting a Marvel-like movie with a lot of slapstick/comedy. Nothing heavy, pure entertainment.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:24 AM   #6579
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Dunkirk - 3/10

Over.Rated. This is one of those films where I think the critics' constant buzz is driving audiences to rate it higher than it really deserves in terms of audience experience.

Nolan got really artsy with this, and in the process seemed to forget what makes for a captivating movie experience.

I thought the movie lacked:

- Context - Why were these men stranded on Dunkirk? Why was the British Navy not rescuing them? Why were the Germans not slaughtering them like monkeys in a barrel and only attacking with 3 planes at a time? I had to go read the Wikipedia article afterward just to find out what the heck was going on. Assuming the audience just "knows" the history of this event and leaving it out of the movie is like the "Titanic" director just deciding everyone knows the ship sinks so not showing that part. What??

- The context of time - Nolan purposefully skipped all over the place in terms of time, sometimes showing you events out of order, then showing you them again from another perspective. Which was all a cool idea ... if it worked. But as an audience member, not knowing when things were happening was baffling, and I found myself watching 20 minutes of movie only to realize, "Oh, wait. I just watched that whole segment thinking it was at this time, when really it was at that time ... I think."

- The context of scale - So the history books say that 800 ships saved 400,000 men from the beach. Then why did the movie never show more than 20 boats at a time or more than 500 men on the beach at a time? Where WAS everybody in this movie? I thought Dunkirk was some "miraculous," epic rescue effort. But there was nothing epic about the movie's big, empty beach, and a big, empty ocean.

- Dialogue - A thick, English accent is understandable. But then don't have the characters mumbling, not looking at the camera when they talk, speaking through masks. Half the film, I couldn't make out what the people were even saying.

Frankly, I found the movie so boring in the first 40 minutes, I was contemplating walking out. But I knew it was a big, epic, historical story ... so I waited ... for some really cool shots of Tom Hardy's plane flying over the beach and some cool dogfight footage ... that all would have made a better YouTube video than full-length movie.

IMO, Nolan screwed up this movie trying to be too clever. Critics will love it. This audience member hated it.

Pretty much agree.

Dunkirk - 3/10

And that is generous. If I was at home, I would have turned it off and done something else. That was a shit sandwich. I wasn't invested in any of the characters with the exception of the small boat captain - and even that was 'barely'.

If I have to mention some redeeming qualities... the music was good and added mood. And... um.... hmm...
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 03:47 PM   #6580
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Logan Lucky - 8/10: Just pure fun. Southern/NASCAR Ocean's 11 is basically a good way to describe this movie. All the acting is fantastic. Daniel Craig is incredible in this role. In the middle of the film, you basically forget he's British. The heist is fantastic and, all the while, Soderbergh throws in some great barbs about class especially between ordinary people and their heroes (there is a scene where the movie focuses on a driver's day-to-day routine - the differences between that and what his fans are doing every day is stark).
Old 09-02-2017, 12:37 AM   #6581
korme
Go Reds

Wind River is the best movie I've seen this year.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:20 AM   #6582
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 6.5/10 -

This was a fun watch, don't get me wrong.. But it was nowhere near the movie the original was. The visuals were interesting and maybe better, the music was worse, the forced comedy was worse (The initial villains were rendered entirely toothless by this IMO) and the ending was just too contrived, even for a comic book movie. I liked Mantis a lot, I thought the sister side story was solid. Baby Groot was cute as hell, to be sure.

Overall though, it seemed like a lot of forced stuff mixed in with a few solid jokes, decent (if completely unbelievable) action, and excellent visuals. Worth watching, but nowhere near what the original brought to the table. I was pissed about Yondu.

Little Evil - 9/10

The writer/director of Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil comes back with a Netflix original starring Adam Scott as the step father of the anti christ. This is all I needed to know going in, and I was pleasantly surprised at the level of heart in this film, which may be even better than Tucker and Dale in my opinion. The female sidekick character to Scott's lead was excellent, everyone's motivations were believable and the story sets up everything well without giving things away too much. Excellent stuff, one of the funnier movies I have seen this year.

The Lovers - 7.5/10

This is a relationship comedy about a middle aged couple who are both cheating on each other in secret when they eventually find themselves suddenly re-attracted to each other. It has a very Woody Allen feel all the way through, and it was somewhat uneven at times, but overall got a lot of solid laughs out of this one because the portrayals by the two leads are excellent. You can see how they're juggling the confusion in their heads as they find themselves put through the wringer of unexpected emotions. If you like Woody Allen stuff, this might scratch that itch for you.

It Comes At Night - 8/10

I liked this, it was solid and one of the better takes on realistic survival films. It was a slow burn, but it burned hot the whole way, strong acting and believable characters throughout. You can feel the stress of trying to survive in the world these people exist in. It wasn't transcendent in any way, but it is put together well enough that it makes for an engaging watch regardless.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 09-02-2017 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:24 PM   #6583
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Spiderman: Homecoming - 9/10

Finally saw this. Enjoyed it immensely as I think this really is the best anyone has done at getting Peter Parker right. Not sure what I think of "MJ."
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:39 PM   #6584
hollmt
High School Varsity

Columbus - 8/10

Interesting little movie with some good side stories for the main characters. But even more interesting in the fact that it was filmed in my girlfriends hometown. The town is apparently an architectural mecca with some fairly popular architects building stuff there. Interesting also that it brought some tears to her eyes while watching it as she was familiar with a lot of stuff/buildings/areas from her childhood.
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:57 AM   #6585
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

It (2017) - 7/10 - I honestly thought it would be better. It was mildly creepy and unless you have a deep seated thing about clowns there isn't much to be scared of. The new Pennywise is actually very good, but the movie spends too little time exploring the real grimy parts of the story that make the gang of kids so tight and turns into essentially a typical horror movie. It looks great and has some solid comedy parts, but really doesn't deliver the sordid affair I was hoping for after reading the book version of events. I especially wanted to see the Adrian Mellon scene at the end, because I think it would have really added some much needed darkness to the overall scope of things and really built toward a sequel, but I think PC culture has really put a damper on big budget movies exploring that kind of territory. I doubt we will see it in the sequel either, but I hope they don't pull that punch.

It could be better, that's all. Still an entertaining film, just not what I was hoping for really.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 09-10-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:56 PM   #6586
Groundhog
Coordinator

It - 8.5/10

I really liked it, but it's one of the few King books I haven't read so I can only compare it to the TV movie from the early 90s. This felt like Pennywise meets Stranger Things, which worked pretty well for me. Definitely not as dark in places as the original - it touched on a few subjects without going into as much detail as I remember - and I think there was a conscious effort to keep it MA 15+.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:33 PM   #6587
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

It-- (9/10)

I thought this was excellent. Very creepy-- I really felt the foreboding and moody atmosphere. Pennywise was well done. The kids were all well cast, and I felt like I knew them all as separate individuals. I suspect the actress who plays Beverly is going to be a star--she was terrific.

Looking forward to the "adult" half of It whenever they put it out.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:21 PM   #6588
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

The Lost City of Z - 8/10

Really, really enjoyed this one. It tells the story of British explorer Percival Fawcett and his search for evidence that the "indians" of Amazonia were an advanced civilization that pre-dated that of the British. The acting was fantastic, and the costumes and settings were incredible. I docked it some points because the pacing was a little off, the movie was incredibly long (140+ minutes), and it was definitely slow. If you can handle a slow-paced, thought-provoking, and well-acted movie, you will love it.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:12 AM   #6589
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It-8/10

Not into horror and was pretty happy overall. Great cast of child actors. I had a bunch of WTF moments as I had no clue what the story was about.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:27 AM   #6590
Kodos
Resident Alien

It - 6.5/10

I was a big fan of the book when it came out in the 80s. There was probably a span of a few years when I would have said it was my favorite book of all time. But I haven't read it again since that first reading.

Visually, the movie looked good, although I felt the cars looked too old-timey for the late 80s. Minor quibble. I guess my problem was that it was never all that scary. Pennywise seemed to be more humorous and gimmicky than menacing. I liked the main cast, and Beverly in particular was really good.

I tend to think that Stephen King books don't translate well to the big screen. The adult characters were too much like caricatures instead of real people. Beverly's father in particular seemed like a caricature to me. The bullies also seemed poorly fleshed out to me.

Anyhow, the book worked well for me as a teenager in the 80s. As an adult watching it now, it fell well short of great.

Last edited by Kodos : 09-19-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:54 PM   #6591
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Wind River is the best movie I've seen this year.

I was tired of watching movies cause they all sucked but I gave this one a chance and it wasn't bad at all. On my how bad a movie sucks scale it was a 1.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:57 PM   #6592
chinaski
College Prospect

Baby Driver - 11/10. Hit all the right notes for me. Great action, acting, writing and soundtrack. Most fun ive had watching a movie since Kingsman.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:48 PM   #6593
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Wonder Woman - 9/10

Finally got to see it, and it's every bit as good as I hoped it would be. Also, Movie Pass is the greatest invention in modern America.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:28 PM   #6594
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

It - 9/10. Did the original proud. Such wonderful horror imagery. My only problem with it was that it relied too heavily on jumpscares. It really didn't need them. My favorite parts were the individual vignettes. THe one on one time between the clown and each kid. It really tapped into one of the things that creeps me out the most...that "What's in the dark?" feeling. Usually there's nothing in the dark. Not so this time. And the staring at you from a distance feeling. OMG sent shivers up my spine. But yeah scaring us with sudden jarring music is kinda cheap. Oh also the scariest bit of the original TV movie was the encounter with Eddie. In this version I thought the Eddie encounter was the least scary. THe dialogue was amazing. So funny. FInn Wolfrum is just funny as hell. And such a different character than his role on stranger things. I seriously don't know how that kid is going to fall asleep the rest of his life.
Yeah really looking forward to the sequel. I wonder if they could coax the original older cast into making cameos. That'd be awesome . Or the original kids. Seth Green would probably jump at the chance .

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 09-21-2017 at 12:31 PM.
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:31 PM   #6595
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I'm shocked that someone decided to make a Jumanji movie starring The Rock. I'm even more shocked that the trailer has me somewhat interested in seeing it.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:47 PM   #6596
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

It - 8/10

Definitely hits the 80s vibe of classics like The Goonies but with the modern flair of Super 8 or Stranger Things. Obviously not as much depth as the miniseries, but good enough and one of the jump scares actually got me.

Oh, and I sat there thinking Molly Ringwald the whole time and they went ahead and had a character acknowledge it. Bravo.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:52 PM   #6597
Edward64
Head Coach

Transformers - Last Knight 6/10

Special effects and battle scenes were great but the tie in to Arthurian legend left me disappointed/confused.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:20 PM   #6598
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

American Assassin - 6/10

Fairly by the numbers action movie with better than typical acting. Keaton is on a roll these days. The other main characters hold up well enough. It has the typical too easy coincidences that you expect from stuff blowing up, but it's worth a couple of hours of your time.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:55 AM   #6599
korme
Go Reds

Here is my list so far as we enter the juicy season:

Dramas
1 Wind River
2 Dunkirk
3 Gifted
4 The Lost City of Z
5 Logan
6 Stronger
7 American Made
8 It
9 Win it All
10 Get Out
11 Atomic Blonde
12 Alien: Covenant
13 The Discovery
14 A Ghost Story

Comedies
1 Logan Lucky
2 Baby Driver
3 The Big Sick
4 Patti Cake$
5 Baywatch

Docs
1 An Inconvenient Sequel
2 Casting JonBenet
3 Get Me Roger Stone
Old 10-02-2017, 03:31 PM   #6600
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

American Made - 9/10

Tom Cruise + Airplanes = Great Movie.

I'm probably overrating it, but it's a lot of fun and just what I needed today. Over the top, and apparently highly exaggerated the way Wolf of Wall Street was, but keeps to the main points pretty well. Cruise looked and acted like Kyle Chandler in this one.