Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-06-2017, 11:58 PM   #6651
BBT
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Spotlight - 9/10

Great cast, good pace. Should have been named, Spotlight: Touched By Faith. Made me tear up a couple times. Not for all audiences.

Watched this after watching Zodiac fairly recently and loved both. Wish there were more movies along these lines out there.
BBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 01:01 AM   #6652
djsatu
High School Varsity

Last Shift - 9/10

Amazing low budget horror movie that messed me up after. Was so scared and terrified. Had to turn all the lights on throughout the house. Not going to spoil it for other's, but if you like suspense/horror movies, give this a shot.
djsatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:16 AM   #6653
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBT View Post
Watched this after watching Zodiac fairly recently and loved both. Wish there were more movies along these lines out there.

Agree completely. I think Zodiac is tremendously underrated. It's one of the best movies of the past 20 years. I wish Hollywood proper was still in the business of making great movies.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:11 AM   #6654
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Agree completely. I think Zodiac is tremendously underrated. It's one of the best movies of the past 20 years. I wish Hollywood proper was still in the business of making great movies.

I agree! I watch Zodiac every single time i see it on TV. It's fantastic and hugely underrated.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:15 AM   #6655
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I really need to finally get around to watching Zodiac. For some reason, it keeps eluding me. Maybe I'll do it tonight!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:02 PM   #6656
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsatu View Post
Last Shift - 9/10

Amazing low budget horror movie that messed me up after. Was so scared and terrified. Had to turn all the lights on throughout the house. Not going to spoil it for other's, but if you like suspense/horror movies, give this a shot.

I watched this on your recommendation, and I won't say it's bad, but I found it neither suspenseful or scary. The first and last 7-10 minutes are strong and it really sets itself up well, but I found the actual meat of the movie to be a letdown. Once you realize what's happening it kind of just feels like, OK, we're going to be seeing this for the next hour.

I will applaud what they accomplished for a lesser budget and I think it succeeds in doing everything it wanted to do, I just wasn't feeling it.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:44 PM   #6657
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Thor: Ragnarok -- 8/10

It's good, but not as good as the hype. Maybe top 5 for Marvel movies.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:54 PM   #6658
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Thor: Ragnarok -- 8/10

It's good, but not as good as the hype. Maybe top 5 for Marvel movies.

It was among the most fun I've had watching a Marvel movie, but there was no depth to it at all. Even the lighter Marvel fare usually succeeds at have some sort of theme, but this leaves you with nothing to ponder, nothing at all that it says. I really enjoyed it, but I do wonder what could have been done with some of this material if they had spent some more time with it.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:32 PM   #6659
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It made both Thor and the Hulk appealing so I'd give it a 8.5/10 or so.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:22 PM   #6660
djsatu
High School Varsity

Quote:
I watched this on your recommendation, and I won't say it's bad, but I found it neither suspenseful or scary. The first and last 7-10 minutes are strong and it really sets itself up well, but I found the actual meat of the movie to be a letdown. Once you realize what's happening it kind of just feels like, OK, we're going to be seeing this for the next hour.

I will applaud what they accomplished for a lesser budget and I think it succeeds in doing everything it wanted to do, I just wasn't feeling it.

Glad you gave it a shot. I think I was just so engulfed by the atmosphere, and being stuck alone in a place like that. Definately wouldn't want to be in her situation like ever. Plus surround sound didn't help
djsatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:57 PM   #6661
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
It was among the most fun I've had watching a Marvel movie, but there was no depth to it at all. Even the lighter Marvel fare usually succeeds at have some sort of theme, but this leaves you with nothing to ponder, nothing at all that it says

I've been pondering ...

Everyone has dysfunctional families, even Gods.

You can be a coward but still find redemption, its never too late.

WTF happened to the hammer ?!?
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:32 PM   #6662
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It got hella smashed.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:21 PM   #6663
Edward64
Head Coach

I've stopped reading comics a while ago.

Is this part of the Thor story and, more importantly, does he get a new one?
Old 11-09-2017, 09:23 PM   #6664
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I've been pondering ...

Everyone has dysfunctional families, even Gods.

You can be a coward but still find redemption, its never too late.

WTF happened to the hammer ?!?

I think if they hadn't gone the comedic route, a movie based on the Asgard storyline, something with the Valkyrie as protectors of Asgard's fallen warriors versus Hela as goddess of dead, could have been mined for some real interesting stuff, and made better use of an actress like Blanchett. I thought the ending was great, and would still have worked there.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:28 AM   #6665
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsatu View Post
Glad you gave it a shot. I think I was just so engulfed by the atmosphere, and being stuck alone in a place like that. Definately wouldn't want to be in her situation like ever. Plus surround sound didn't help

Oh the sound was very well done. Everything was well done. I think I was just let down that the spooks were revealed so early cause it didn't affect me, so I was left just riding it out. I think my biggest problem is that the premise was so good, I wanted to like it a lot more than I did.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:07 PM   #6666
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
I've stopped reading comics a while ago.

Is this part of the Thor story and, more importantly, does he get a new one?

I think they had to destroy the hammer to make him more on an even playing field, and also to realize his next-level abilities with the thunder stuff.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #6667
Edward64
Head Coach

Doesn't seem right. Its always been Thor with his hammer when I was growing up. I'll have to google on whats going on in the comics.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:31 PM   #6668
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Doesn't seem right. Its always been Thor with his hammer when I was growing up. I'll have to google on whats going on in the comics.

Hammer Time: 11 Times Mjolnir Was Destroyed (4 Times It Was Replaced)
Old 11-12-2017, 12:10 AM   #6669
Suicane75
Coordinator

Saw Jeepers Creepers 3 this week and I'd rather have my balls kicked by a professional soccer player for 90 minutes than sit through it again. Just an abomination of a movie that uses the Jeepers Creeepers name as a cash grab. It's barely a sci-fi level movie.

Atomic Blonde was a let down as well. Minus a really good 10 minute fight scene near the end of the movie there's just not much here. Theron really isn't any good and the gratuitous nudity made me feel icky when I should have been feeling happy. The story is at once laborious and unintriguing. Sound and visuals were nice, but that's about the best thing I can say about it.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:36 PM   #6670
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Atomic Blonde was a let down as well. Minus a really good 10 minute fight scene near the end of the movie there's just not much here. Theron really isn't any good and the gratuitous nudity made me feel icky when I should have been feeling happy. The story is at once laborious and unintriguing. Sound and visuals were nice, but that's about the best thing I can say about it.

Loved that long shot fight scene in the stairwell at the apt building. That was really well done.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:12 AM   #6671
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:

Currently* Thor was deemed unworthy of the hammer, thus the new female Thor. He has a Unworthy Thor title, where he is simply Odinson, and wields an axe I believe. Mjolnir is being wielded by the new, worthy, Thor.

*Or last time I checked, maybe not right now
Old 11-13-2017, 01:02 PM   #6672
Edward64
Head Coach

Wow, how things have changed.

Will have to go to BN and see if there are any Thor comics I can pick up.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:02 PM   #6673
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Murder on the Orient Express - 8/10

Beautifully filmed. Perfectly cast and acted. A great story told well. I'm sure there are better movies this year, but nothing I've enjoyed this much. Josh Gad is becoming my favorite supporting actor on the planet.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:35 PM   #6674
stevew
Hall Of Famer

John Wick 2 8/10. Haven't seen the first one. But I think it plays perfectly to Keanu's range as an actor and had some crazy violent scenes. Agreed with whomever said this should be a part of the Marvel universe.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:09 PM   #6675
korme
Go Reds

The Killing of a Sacred Deer is probably not a movie for everyone - there were only a couple people in the theatre, and one older lady exclaimed, "What the hell did I just watch?" as the credits rolled, but I found it enthralling. It was intense, unnerving and had me glued to the screen for the entire two hours. Barry Keoghan probably deserves an Oscar nod for his performance.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:55 PM   #6676
Edward64
Head Coach

Flew the west coast and had a chance to catch up on some movies.

The Mummy - 7/10. I knew going in that it got really poor reviews on RT but hey, it was free. I found the first half to be really entertaining. The third quarter with Dr. Hyde and group a little off base, and the last quarter rushed/too easy.

But overall, I would buy it on blu-ray during a sale (yeah, stick it you physical media haters!) and watch it every now and then. I do enjoy Tom Cruise movies.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:00 PM   #6677
Edward64
Head Coach

Cars 3 - 7/10. Kids are no longer interested in animation movies (there was a time when they would enjoy watching Shrek, The Croods etc. couple times a month) so I watched this on a plane.

Enjoyed it, a good ending (?) to the trilogy of Lighting McQueen where he passes the baton. This one definitely had more "depth" than the other 2.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:12 AM   #6678
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Justice League - 5.5/10. Opening 20-30 minutes were terrible but it began to improve. I enjoyed The Flash, he was almost always fun. The other characters were mostly just ok, but had their moments. The plot is pretty lame and the villain is a C-. Standard superhero action for the most part (what more can they do with these earth-is-in-peril hero movies?). Pretty stupid ending.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:12 AM   #6679
tarcone
Coordinator

I wish the DC had what Marvel has.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:32 PM   #6680
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I wish the DC had what Marvel has.

Speaking of Marvel/Fox

Old 11-19-2017, 04:10 PM   #6681
Groundhog
Coordinator

Louis Theroux: My Scientology Movie - 7/10

Louis Theroux could make a documentary on potato farming techniques in North Dakota and I'd watch. Not sure why it took me so long to catch this given Scientology is something I've been reading about for years and years, but I think it's that exact reason as to why I was a bit underwhelmed by this. I'd imagine most people that watch probably didn't know a great deal about Scientology, but there's nothing really here that I haven't seen before - outside of the reactions Louis' interview style brought out in some of the random Scientology cronies, as well as Rathbun. Entertaining, but not as good as I hoped, especially after just finishing his Dark States series which was excellent.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:24 AM   #6682
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
The Lost City of Z - 8/10

Really, really enjoyed this one. It tells the story of British explorer Percival Fawcett and his search for evidence that the "indians" of Amazonia were an advanced civilization that pre-dated that of the British. The acting was fantastic, and the costumes and settings were incredible. I docked it some points because the pacing was a little off, the movie was incredibly long (140+ minutes), and it was definitely slow. If you can handle a slow-paced, thought-provoking, and well-acted movie, you will love it.

Caught this on the plane. The Jacques Cousteau wannabee explorer in me really enjoyed it.

I did find how Charlie Hunnam talked and the pacing of it interesting, I wonder if this is really how some spoke back then.

I'd give it a 7/10, definitely worth watching.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:28 AM   #6683
Edward64
Head Coach

The Dark Tower - 7.5/10 - I'm not a big Stephen King fan and last book I read was The Stand so not well verse in the Dark Tower universe.

I thought the movie was pretty entertaining. Not sure how faithful it was to the books and not hung up on it. Enjoyed the shootouts etc. but it did seem rushed to me. I wouldn't have minded some more content in the middle.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:50 PM   #6684
korme
Go Reds

I saw LADY BIRD last night and it was the best coming-of-age movie I've seen in quite some time. Great date movie.

Last edited by korme : 11-29-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:32 PM   #6685
Edward64
Head Coach

Justice League - 7.5/10

Fun movie. Gal Gadot is always nice and thought Ben Affleck was good as Batman (but hey, I liked Superman vs Batman).

TBH the X-Men "team" and the Avengers "team" seem better-fit (?) than the DC Justice League team. I think you have to watch it without trying to compare it to the Marvel equivalents.

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-01-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:47 PM   #6686
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond

10/10

A documentary interview with Jim Carrey...about his channeling of late comedian Andy Kaufman during the filming of Man On The Moon. It contains TONS of film footage shot backstage during the shooting of the film. I've been fascinated by this story since the movie. I heard and read a lot about how Carrey disappeared into the role even way beyond normal Method actors. Now we get to actually watch it happen. So happy. It's awesome. It does start out a little scattered but then follows the thought progression of Carrey well juxtaposed by the footage and other interviews.

Also lots of footage of Bob Zmuda (Kaufman's former partner) as well as Andy's real family and their interaction with Carrey as Kaufman. It's so surreal...

This is on Netflix btw

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 12-01-2017 at 08:47 PM.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:12 AM   #6687
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

The Hitman's Bodyguard - 8/10

I generally enjoy both Sam Jackson and Ryan Reynolds so I might be predisposed to like this movie, but I felt it hit all the right notes for a modern 'buddy cop' movie, which this basically is. Likeable characters, funny lines, and some decent action scenes along with some hilariously over-the-top villains made this one more enjoyable than I was expecting going in.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 09:21 PM   #6688
Edward64
Head Coach

Star Wars - The Last Jedi 7.5/10

As I was watching it I realized that it was not meeting my expectations, it was really pretty boring to me and I was thinking Luke training Rey was pitiful.

However, in the last 3rd, when Rey meets up with Kylo, it really picked up and enjoyed battle with Snoke and bodyguards, and at the Rebel hangout.

Still much better than the second trilogy and looking forward to the next in the series.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:26 PM   #6689
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond

10/10

A documentary interview with Jim Carrey...about his channeling of late comedian Andy Kaufman during the filming of Man On The Moon. It contains TONS of film footage shot backstage during the shooting of the film. I've been fascinated by this story since the movie. I heard and read a lot about how Carrey disappeared into the role even way beyond normal Method actors. Now we get to actually watch it happen. So happy. It's awesome. It does start out a little scattered but then follows the thought progression of Carrey well juxtaposed by the footage and other interviews.

Also lots of footage of Bob Zmuda (Kaufman's former partner) as well as Andy's real family and their interaction with Carrey as Kaufman. It's so surreal...

This is on Netflix btw

This was great. Not as good as Icarus as docs go, but it was really enjoyable and great behind the scenes of one of my favorite actors. Loved him getting all philosophical about how it affected him.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:15 PM   #6690
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
This was great. Not as good as Icarus as docs go, but it was really enjoyable and great behind the scenes of one of my favorite actors. Loved him getting all philosophical about how it affected him.

I really like the candid honesty about how it was more about giving himself over to the experience and never leaving it and through that all these little scenes with andy's RL friends and family happened around him. My favorite character in this story is director Milos Forman. It's so cute how he is begging, pleading Jim to work with him on this yet not wanting to stop his creativity. The answer to his phone call when Jim asks "Well, I could do an impression of him..." was "*siiiiiiigh* "No."
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:26 PM   #6691
Edward64
Head Coach

Train to Busan - 8/10

A Korean zombie-like movie. A pleasant surprise and highly recommend it to any zombie fans. I played it with subtitles because bad dubbing spoils it for me.

Essentially an outbreak occurs and our main characters are on a train. Some really neat scenes. The zombie effects were very good IMO. Reminds me of WW Z but definitely tamer and not as grand in scope but still very satisfying.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:27 PM   #6692
Groundhog
Coordinator

Blade Runner 2049 - 8.5/10

Better than it had any right to be. I think they did a terrific job progressing the storyline, and I really dug the "post apocalyptic" sci fi aesthetic in particular. A sequel done right.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:16 AM   #6693
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Louis Theroux: My Scientology Movie - 7/10

Louis Theroux could make a documentary on potato farming techniques in North Dakota and I'd watch. Not sure why it took me so long to catch this given Scientology is something I've been reading about for years and years, but I think it's that exact reason as to why I was a bit underwhelmed by this. I'd imagine most people that watch probably didn't know a great deal about Scientology, but there's nothing really here that I haven't seen before - outside of the reactions Louis' interview style brought out in some of the random Scientology cronies, as well as Rathbun. Entertaining, but not as good as I hoped, especially after just finishing his Dark States series which was excellent.

That dude that plays Miscavige in the reenactments is incredible.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:28 AM   #6694
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Trying to decide for a potential movie day this week. What are your guys' thoughts on Darkest Hour and All the Money in the World?
Old 01-09-2018, 11:52 AM   #6695
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Baby Driver - 9/10

Just a great movie, start to finish. The acting was awesome, the usage of music was incredible, and the story was good. Docked the one point because of some check your brain stuff at the end, but I really, really enjoyed this movie.

John Carpenter's The Thing - 8/10

I hadn't seen this in 20 years, and gave it a watch so my wife could see it for the first time. I was surprised at how much gore there was, as I remembered it as much more of a psychological thriller. Still loved it, though maybe not as much as I used to.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:06 PM   #6696
molson
General Manager

It's been 4 months since I saw my first moviepass movie. And I've seen exactly 20 movies with it. So that's $2 a movie. (I did see pay out of pocket to see TLJ two extra times in 3D and IMAX 2D)

I'm going to rank them because I just finished a huge thing at work and need to wind down. This ranking is purely based on my personal enjoyment of the movies, not a statement on how well-made I think any of them are. So there may be some experience-based issues that trickle in (how tired I was, whether there was any disruptions in the audience, etc.) My girlfriend and I basically take turns deciding what movie we see next - though I'm much more willing to see whatever she wants to, and would rather just go see something by myself than drag her to anything. So that's why there's a huge range of stuff here. I can have a great time at a bad romantic comedy if I'm in a good mood.

1. The Last Jedi
2. The Disaster Artist
3. Kingsman: The Golden Circle
4. Battle of the Sexes
5. Marshall
6. Atomic Blonde
7. The Greatest Showman
8. American Made
9. Darkest Hour
10. Glass Castle
11. Murder on the Orient Express
12. The Hitman's Bodyguard
13. Victoria and Abdul
14. Lady Bird
15. A Bad Mom's Christmas
16. Mountain Between Us
17. Goodbye Christopher Robin
18. My Friend Dahmer
19. Ferdinand
20. Home Again

Moviepass has been awesome. Even the movies on the bottom of the list, I enjoyed going to see. And I half-expected Moviepass to be dead by now. Instead, it seems like they're launching a new website and app shortly, and are testing the waters through surveys about whether its members would be interested in premium-level subscriptions. (IMAX, 3D, multiple movies in a day, etc.) There's also a "competitor" now, Sinemia, which I would have been all over if not for moviepass. ($16/month for 3 movies, including IMAX and 3D).

Last edited by molson : 01-09-2018 at 12:09 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:29 PM   #6697
Edward64
Head Coach

The Foreigner - 8/10

Really enjoyed this movie. Not a big Jackie Chan fan because of all his slapstick martial arts but this movie was pretty different.

The contrast between a "china man" and the IRA was pretty interesting. I wonder what the IRA thinks of this movie.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:00 PM   #6698
Groundhog
Coordinator

The Last Jedi - 8.5/10
Thought it was great. Different from the other Star Wars movies, but I'm fine with that. Space Opera at its finest.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:12 PM   #6699
Edward64
Head Coach

Battle: Los Angeles - 8.5/10

I know, I know ... it got pretty bad reviews. Re-watched it again last night after 2-3 years and I really enjoyed it. I think I'm going to put this in my Top-10.

Regular US troops fighting against robotic-like (?) aliens. Great scenes from the helicopters, lots of gung-ho and action. Wish they would make a sequel.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-19-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:07 PM   #6700
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Battle: Los Angeles - 8.5/10

I know, I know ... it got pretty bad reviews. Re-watched it again last night after 2-3 years and I really enjoyed it. I think I'm going to put this in my Top-10.

Regular US troops fighting against robotic-like (?) aliens. Great scenes from the helicopters, lots of gung-ho and action. Wish they would make a sequel.

It's actually one of my favorites too. It's not Oscsr material or nothing and it's basically an ad for the military, but what it sets out to do, it does well and it's a fun and surprisingly deeper than surface ride.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote