Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-25-2018, 05:24 PM   #6751
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Zodiac - 9.5/10

Not sure what there is to say about this movie that is bad. Excellent pacing, acting, incredible character development, and an incredibly intriguing story. Fincher does a great job of focusing as much (or more) on the characters as he does the murder mystery unfolding almost in the background. Can't really put my finger on why I don't give this one a 10/10, but it's damned close.

Unforgiven - 9/10

Rewatch for me, first time for my wife. Clint Eastwood at his best, in my opinion. Gene Hackman was similarly excellent, and I actually think that Jaimz Woolvett was pretty phenomenal as the Schofield Kid - surprised to see that his career never really amounted to much.

Beginners - 8/10

Was surprised at how much I enjoyed this romantic comedy, though it's not at all your typical rom-com. From the beginning, you have Oliver (Ewan McGregor) trying to come to grips with several hard truths all at the same time: his father Hal (Christopher Plummer) - who came out to Ewan as gay at age 75 when his mother died - has just passed away himself after a handful of wonderfully happy, openly gay years. While he is still trying to reconcile his parents' 44-year relationship now viewing it through the lens of his father's sexual preference, not to mention deal with the grief of losing his father, he meets Anna (Melanie Laurent). By weaving back and forth between the past and the present, the movie presents a heartfelt story of relationships (and not just the romantic kind) that is very relate-able and extremely enjoyable.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:18 AM   #6752
Suicane75
Coordinator

The Shape Of Water is everything a movie should be.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:46 AM   #6753
revrew
Team Chaplain

Game Night: 7/10

Turned out to be a great date night movie with the Mrs.

Movie's casting was phenomenal, plot was more intricate than I expected, comedy was in good doses and paced well. And while some of the jokes were in the trailers, they weren't ALL in the trailers, so there was plenty of "fresh" material to keep it fun.

The movie is a little more of an action film than I expected from the trailers, and it wasn't non-stop funny like the great, comedy classics, but still a solid date night/rental.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:00 PM   #6754
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
The Shape Of Water is everything a movie should be.

Absolutely loved it.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:52 AM   #6755
Johnny93g
College Starter

Oscars are just days away, so here are my favourite movies of 2017

1. Mollys Game- Ya, this is my favourite movie of the year. Chastain should have been nominated. She’s wonderful. Idris Elba has some great moments of his own! I’m a sucker for the way Aaron Sorkin tells a story. This one worked so well, I will watch it over and over again.

2. Three Billboards- Just below Molly in terms of how much I enjoyed it. I love Martin McDonagh films, and this has been on my radar for a while. It lived upto my lofty expectations. Sam Rockwell is a name not enough people know. I figured out the “twist” pretty early. It just makes sense for a McDonagh movie, but that didn’t stop my enjoyment.

3. The Disaster Artist- The Franco’s are both fantastic telling an amazing story of how a horrible movie got made. I do believe James is nominated without the harassment allegations. One of the better feel good films around.

4. Gifted- I’ve seen this for a 2nd time when it began airing on TMN, and my opinion of it has grown. Maybe im just a sucker, but the story really resonated with me, and I though the little girl did a great job.

5. Darkest Hour- Man, Gary Oldman is a great actor. I knew this for years. Hell, I’m one of the rare people who love State of Grace, which no one I know has even heard of. His charismatic performance as Winston Churchill during the darkest days of WWII probably deserves the Oscar!

6. Wind River- This murder mystery didn’t get any love in awards season, which is too bad, but it’s a great tale of a murder in a northern state(can’t remember which one). I’m not a Renner fan, but he played his role perfectly, and it’s got a very satisfying finale.

7. I Tonya- Man, what a fun movie. I guess it’s not a fun thing to look back on, more like a despicable act, but it’s done in a way they is easy to laugh and enjoy. Margot Robbie is great, and it’s got many many “moments.”

8. Phantom Thread- Pure acting movie. I love Daniel Day Lewis. He’s the best actor I’ve ever seen. If he is indeed retiring, then that’s too bad, cuz I will miss him. This film is a slow burn, but I enjoyed it, as the performances were excellent.

9. Dunkirk- I don’t think it’s a classic, or the perfect movie, like I have seen written about it, but it’s a very cool story, done in a way that ties in at the perfect time. My main criticism, I want more Tom Hardy!

10. Mudbound- really interesting story of a two men coming back from war, one black, one white, who became friends in Mississippi. It’s pretty much what you expect it too be, which isn’t a bad thing. It’s just really good, and enjoyed it.

Honorable mention

Battle of the Sexes- I thought Emma Stone would have been nominated for this
The Post- More entertaining then I expected
Baby Driver- Best pure action movie of the year
Get Out- Overrated, but still a good movie
The Shape of Water- I am not a del Toro fan, but i enjoyed. Michael Shannon should have got a nomination.
Last Flag Flying- Sad, yet fun.

Worst movies of the year

Geostorm, The Dark Tower, Transformers(I didn’t even watch it, just common sense), The Circle, Snatched, The Hitman’s Bodyguard, Wilson.

I’m sure im forgetting something, but those or my thoughts. A good year for movies. Now ill spend all 0f 2018 anticipating THE IRISHMAN!
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:23 PM   #6756
Edward64
Head Coach

Taking Chance - 9/10

I gravitate towards action movies, sci-fi and fantasy. Found "Taking Chance" on Amazon Prime and decided to watch it primarily for Kevin "Tremors" Bacon.

I was surprised at how much I really enjoyed the movie. No action, very solemn, minimal dialog. I think the director could have gone overboard on emotions, dialog etc. but I thought he did it well.

The one ding (but its just me), I wouldn't have mind another 20 min).

Left me wanting to know more about Pfc. Chance and also the care that the military takes in returning remains.

Great movie, highly recommended.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #6757
Arles
Grey Dog Software

What are people's thoughts on Annihilation? I have the option of seeing that or Death Wish today. I know I will enjoy Death Wish from an entertainment standpoint, but there isn't much upside. If people like Annihilation, it might be worth giving that a shot instead.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:55 PM   #6758
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
What are people's thoughts on Annihilation? I have the option of seeing that or Death Wish today. I know I will enjoy Death Wish from an entertainment standpoint, but there isn't much upside. If people like Annihilation, it might be worth giving that a shot instead.

Do you like scifi and to some degree horror? I found Annihilation abit confusing but intriguing and often beautiful as well. But I would say on sheer entertainment, prob Death Wish with its simple formula is more likely to do the trick (note: have not seen the new Death Wish).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 03-09-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:27 PM   #6759
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I ended up seeing Annihilation. I thought it was solid, but not as much my cup of tea as I would have thought. I can see why a lot of people like it, but the pace seemed a little off to me.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:23 PM   #6760
molson
General Manager

Finally got around to The Shape of Water today, loved it way more than I expected. I'll have to update my moviepass era rankings here soon, but that will be near the top.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:43 AM   #6761
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Baby Driver: Overrated
Get Out: Even more overrated
Wind River: Really good

I've always been someone who doesn't like people telling them what to like, but am I wrong? Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the first two, but they both fell apart in the 2nd half. And idk if Wind River was That good, but having minimal expectations going in helped. Shurg, going forward I'm excited for anything Taylor Sheridan does - re-branded Spike drama that looks like Dallas was not on my list, but yes I'll give Yellowstone a chance!
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:10 AM   #6762
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I thought Wind River was a standard and flat rape revenge fantasy with a sprinkling of equally tired magic minority & white savior tropes. I don't get the love. *shrug*
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:41 AM   #6763
Edward64
Head Coach

Black Panther - 8/10

Thoroughly enjoyed the movie, great action and special effects. Sure there were parts that I thought were too "unrealistic" in a fantasy universe (hah) but that's no different from other Marvel movies.

I did like the tension of staying put, try to help others on a grander scale, or conquer others (which would have been ridiculous, its not as the Avengers couldn't quash that).

The ending was understandable to close the loop but IMO it would have been better seeing them help other African countries in need vs rehabilitate a dump in the US.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-10-2018 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:49 AM   #6764
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Baby Driver: Overrated
Get Out: Even more overrated
Wind River: Really good

I've always been someone who doesn't like people telling them what to like, but am I wrong? Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the first two, but they both fell apart in the 2nd half. And idk if Wind River was That good, but having minimal expectations going in helped. Shurg, going forward I'm excited for anything Taylor Sheridan does - re-branded Spike drama that looks like Dallas was not on my list, but yes I'll give Yellowstone a chance!

This forum tends to get really excited for Super Hero movies. There are threads started for most of them, and i don't think there has ever been a super hero movie better then any of these three movies, so i'd argue that every single super hero movie I've ever seen is overrated.

With that said, i do agree with your take on Get Out. While I think it's good, i don't think it's great, and the reaction it got, isn't deserved.

Baby Driver is about enjoying the ride. If you stopped enjoying that ride in the 2nd half, then ya, i get what you are saying.

I think Wind River is fantastic, and enjoyable from start to finish. The whole atmosphere, world, feeling created by Sheridan was excellent IMO.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:40 PM   #6765
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri: 9/10

Watched it last night, and I really didn't expect to like it as much as I did. Few films shock me as often as this movie. I am probably over-rating it, but when a movie exceeds expectation as much as this one did...
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:09 PM   #6766
Groundhog
Coordinator

Thor: Ragnarok - 8.5/10

Fun. I feel like a lot of the current gen of Marvel stuff could be directed by just about anyone now that they have a formula in place, but Waititi's fingerprints were all over this one. My only complaint was that I would have preferred the whole movie to have stayed on Sakaar, but hey, this is Thor and not Ant-man. The whole Asgard thing is some of the sillier stuff in the Marvel universe but it worked OK here (compared to the other Thor movies, especially).
Old 03-12-2018, 09:59 PM   #6767
Edward64
Head Coach

The Martian - 9/10

Got the 4K version for Christmas and re-watched it tonight in all its glory.

Really enjoy Matt Damon (when is the next Bourne film?) and the the special effects were phenomenal. I do wish Ridley Scott allowed another 10 min or so for post pick-up and to show the crew/world celebrating the success and his re-integration.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:20 PM   #6768
Edward64
Head Coach

The Highlander - 5/10 (but in context 7.5/10)

"There can only be one" was another great 80's phrase in addition to "Wolverines!".

Bought the 5 DVD set recently. Back in the late 80's it was great fun and remember enjoying the TV series w/Adrian Paul (until like the last 2 seasons when it got weird).

The DVD doesn't upscale very well to my 4K TV, the sword fighting is amateurish (Adrian Paul was much better), and the special effects are "comical" (but I remembered there was no such thing as CGI back then). If I was a Millennial I would scoff at this movie.

But in context for the time, great movie.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-15-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:54 AM   #6769
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri: 9/10

Watched it last night, and I really didn't expect to like it as much as I did. Few films shock me as often as this movie. I am probably over-rating it, but when a movie exceeds expectation as much as this one did...

I loved the hell out of this movie. It was very much a Coen Brothers type of film, and I think those guys are about the best storytellers in the biz. If you told me they wrote and directed it, I wouldn't doubt it for a second.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 03-16-2018 at 04:55 AM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:02 AM   #6770
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I thought Wind River was a standard and flat rape revenge fantasy with a sprinkling of equally tired magic minority & white savior tropes. I don't get the love. *shrug*

I thought it was a pretty standard story, but what tipped the scales for me was that it was just a really well done film. It reminded me a little of a similar Tom Hardy movie I really liked called The Drop. Nothing ground breaking, just no bullshit and no cut corners. Great execution of a solid premise always makes for a good film IMO.

FUCK EA
Old 03-16-2018, 06:54 AM   #6771
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I thought it was a pretty standard story, but what tipped the scales for me was that it was just a really well done film. It reminded me a little of a similar Tom Hardy movie I really liked called The Drop. Nothing ground breaking, just no bullshit and no cut corners. Great execution of a solid premise always makes for a good film IMO.

Great analogy with the Drop. I thought that was a very underrated film.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:09 PM   #6772
SteveM58
Mascot

Split - 9/10

Its definitely got the feel of an M Night Shyamalan movie. And I really enjoyed it. Terrifying, sad, and unpredictable with a taste of some mystery.

I found it to be a solid enough story, but an absolutely award winning performance from James McAvoy. And I find myself wishing Shyamalan would just focus his work on the character stories more because of how well he does them.

The end scene (without spoiling) also really makes me hope there is a future merging of this with another one of his movies. The guy gets characters right...its the ensemble stuff where he falters a bit (though I still enjoy almost all of his movies). Definitely worth the 2 hours.
SteveM58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:08 AM   #6773
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM58 View Post
The end scene (without spoiling) also really makes me hope there is a future merging of this with another one of his movies.

There is. It has already been announced, and the girl, McAvoy, Willis and Jackson are all on board. I believe it is scheduled to come out next year.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:30 AM   #6774
SteveM58
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
There is. It has already been announced, and the girl, McAvoy, Willis and Jackson are all on board. I believe it is scheduled to come out next year.

Thats really cool. Thanks CR!
SteveM58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:42 AM   #6775
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
The Highlander - 5/10 (but in context 7.5/10)

"There can only be one" was another great 80's phrase in addition to "Wolverines!".

Bought the 5 DVD set recently. Back in the late 80's it was great fun and remember enjoying the TV series w/Adrian Paul (until like the last 2 seasons when it got weird).

The DVD doesn't upscale very well to my 4K TV, the sword fighting is amateurish (Adrian Paul was much better), and the special effects are "comical" (but I remembered there was no such thing as CGI back then). If I was a Millennial I would scoff at this movie.

But in context for the time, great movie.

This is a great movie. I love the concept. The 80s should be looked upon as a great era of movies.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:37 PM   #6776
korme
Go Reds

300 is on TV

10/10 Body Shame
Old 03-31-2018, 10:54 AM   #6777
Edward64
Head Coach

Shape of Water - 4/10

I like the visuals and costumes but the plot was basically "love with the monster from the blue lagoon".

I know I'm in the minority but WTF was this movie about and why did it win all those awards?
Old 03-31-2018, 10:58 AM   #6778
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Shape of Water - 4/10

I like the visuals and costumes but the plot was basically "love with the monster from the blue lagoon".

I know I'm in the minority but WTF was this movie about and why did it win all those awards?

LOL. I havent seen it. But I watched the trailer and went "Nope"

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:21 PM   #6779
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Bad Mom's Christmas - 2/10 - The original Bad Moms movie was somewhat of a guilty pleasure for miss Riddols and I, so we expected more of the same from round 2, but I should have paid attention to who wrote and directed it. This is a cash grab mess of a film and is more uneven than my first sons head was after crowning for about 20 minutes. 15 minutes of material stretched thin through the use of plenty of montages and unnecessarily long takes. Plenty of over the top and outrageous stuff that they then try to mix in with this forced emotional bullshit that just doesn't fit. Didn't know whether it wanted to be a slapstick goof off film or some kind of shitty millenial hallmark movie.

Annihilation - 9/10 - Excellent sci fi, I really loved this one. Only docked it a point because I thought the end was a little shaky, but this movie also had maybe the scariest scene I have ever seen in a film and I didn't think the plot was too hard to follow while also not being basic or spelling everything out. It felt like a mix between Alien, Upstream Color and What Dreams May Come. Really digging Garland's body of work so far.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 03-31-2018 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:06 PM   #6780
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Spring Break movie ketchup!

I, tonya- 8/10 great acting, story a little weak

Black Panther 9/10 love sci-fi bent. Feel like it just made all future Avatars obsolete

Last Jedi 4/10 Not a big SW fan, but enjoyed previous 2. This was cartoon awfulness

Florida Project 9/10
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 03:58 PM   #6781
Edward64
Head Coach

Lara Croft - 7.5/10

Watched the original AJ version last night and watched the remake today. As I watched the movie, I was thinking this is more of an Indiana Jones movie than a Lara Croft movie.

It was good on its own and I enjoyed it, but I don't think it "deserved" the Lara Croft name.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:52 PM   #6782
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I'll play ketchup too now that the big holiday movies have been released on blu-ray.

Last Jedi - 6.5/10 Much of the positives for me was on the strength that Rian dared to give us a Star Wars movie that was unpredictable, much to the annoyance of the fanboys that whined and cried that their predictions were wrong and couldn't accept anything different from their predictions. The negatives were that unlike Force Awakens, there were several bad scenes and characters (e.g., the second time through, I fast-forwarded through the entire Canto Bight scenes). But I love the scenes on the island and since I avoided all spoilers, loved the surprise character there.

Thor: Ragnarok - 8.5/10 I'm not a comic books fan at all and I'm one of the few whose favorite Marvel movie is Thor 1 (along with Iron Man 1). Ragnarok is right up there with them. I love the comedic turn and many of the characters, the scene with Dr. Strange was a huge treat for me.

Justice League - 3/10 I actually thought Batman v Superman was not bad and I loved Wonder Woman. But this was an unwatchable movie with dialogue even worse than Kong. The only redeeming part of this movie was the presence of Diana Prince/WW.

Coco - 8.5/10 I love this movie and it is now my third favorite Pixar movie after Cars 1 and Inside Out. Loved the twist, the songs and the incredible scenes of rural Mexico plus the tradition of Día de los Muertos.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:23 AM   #6783
Groundhog
Coordinator

Watched Last Jedi again as well a few days ago. Not sure what I graded it in this thread after first viewing, but I enjoyed it in the cinema despite some flaws. On 2nd sitting though... Tend to agree with Buc, the island scenes were great, so was the Kylo/Snoke/Rey scene but otherwise... Could have done without the entire subplot on Canto Bight which amounted to nothing worthwhile as far as the plot of this film went, and the whole suicide lightspeed charge kinda feels like someone would have thought to weaponise that by now too, as it would have been a pretty easy way to wipe out the Rebel fleet initially.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:05 AM   #6784
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Red Sparrow - 7/10

Wins the award for least enjoyable nudity. The movie was fairly slow, but was punctuated by staccato blasts of extreme violence. I thought the pacing worked well for the movie and the vibe came off as tense rather than dull. Jennifer Lawrence was excellent and once the end game was known I could think of several times where her acting added to the feel of the movie. It's a movie I enjoyed but wouldn't watch again.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:49 PM   #6785
sabotai
General Manager

Lady Snowblood - 9/10 - I loved this movie. revenge drama about a woman going after the people responsible for her parents' deaths. I can see why Tarantino pickpocketed lines and a few scenes from it for Kill Bill.

Wonder Woman - 4/10 - Not a fan. Wonder Woman spent half of her own movie being eye candy and comic relief. And the ending was garbage. They needed a Wonder Woman movie, so they quickly threw together a paint-by-numbers script and added some terrible CGI and rushed the thing out the door.

The Last Jedi - 5/10 - A lot of fun scenes, some cool shots, but when put together, the movie was a mess. There was a whole subplot that was fucking terrible, and a few massive plot holes that can't be explained away, no matter how hard the fanboys try. Not to post any spoilers, but the beginning of the movie does not match up well with the end of the last one. I'm not sure Rian Johnson even watched The Force Awakens.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:28 PM   #6786
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Not to post any spoilers, but the beginning of the movie does not match up well with the end of the last one.

I am just now catching up on other reviews and opinions (and predictions) and could you spoilerize exactly what you meant by this? I'm trying to understand the disconnect.

In my short review, I neglected to provide an example of bad characters (which I felt Force Awaken had none). Those would be Benicio's character, whom I like as an actor but his character was bad. I also thought Admiral Holdo's character was really bad. I get wanting to survive but to be a complete jerk about it?

While I understand what Groundhog said about the lightspeed charge, you have to admit that was one of the coolest special effects ever.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:30 PM   #6787
Suicane75
Coordinator

Gremlins 2 is great. I'd only seen it once, many moons ago as part of pizza party day in class so I probably didn't pay a lot of attention to it, or appreciate it for what it was, but it's fantastic and has some really strong foreshadowing into the future world.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:06 PM   #6788
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Bad Mom's Christmas - 2/10 - The original Bad Moms movie was somewhat of a guilty pleasure for miss Riddols and I, so we expected more of the same from round 2, but I should have paid attention to who wrote and directed it. This is a cash grab mess of a film and is more uneven than my first sons head was after crowning for about 20 minutes. 15 minutes of material stretched thin through the use of plenty of montages and unnecessarily long takes. Plenty of over the top and outrageous stuff that they then try to mix in with this forced emotional bullshit that just doesn't fit. Didn't know whether it wanted to be a slapstick goof off film or some kind of shitty millenial hallmark movie.

Agree. First one is a solid movie. This was garbage.

Quote:
Annihilation - 9/10 - Excellent sci fi, I really loved this one. Only docked it a point because I thought the end was a little shaky, but this movie also had maybe the scariest scene I have ever seen in a film and I didn't think the plot was too hard to follow while also not being basic or spelling everything out. It felt like a mix between Alien, Upstream Color and What Dreams May Come. Really digging Garland's body of work so far.

Thought the first 75% of the movie was 8 or 9 out of 10. The last 25% 2/10.

I looked into the book after watching the movie and I understand why it was done the way it was, but the end was still a giant bag of WTF is this shit.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:35 AM   #6789
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Ready Player One

As a movie-- 6.5/10

As an instrument of my fanboyness-- 9/10

In and of itself, I wouldn't say the movie was anything special. Good popcorn fun with only a little bit of thinking involved. And even as it relates to the book, it was fairly minimal. They brought over the basics and character names and same basic ending, but changed a bunch of major plot points along the way. I enjoyed the book and was entertained by the movie, as a movie fan.

As a fanboy of all the Easter Egg references and 80s culture, though, I felt they hit a homerun. Spielberg did a great job of mining both his own projects, and those of his cultural contemporaries in the 80s. It was cool to see a movie which was basically made BECAUSE it was going to blatantly overdo it on the nostalgic stuff. Special effects and music were terrific, too. The Shining scenes in particular were awesome and hilarious (and not even based on the book).

I would recommend it to anyone raised in the late 70s and 80s. I.E. us here at FOFC lol

Old 04-03-2018, 10:17 AM   #6790
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Ready Player One

As a movie-- 6.5/10

As an instrument of my fanboyness-- 9/10

In and of itself, I wouldn't say the movie was anything special. Good popcorn fun with only a little bit of thinking involved. And even as it relates to the book, it was fairly minimal. They brought over the basics and character names and same basic ending, but changed a bunch of major plot points along the way. I enjoyed the book and was entertained by the movie, as a movie fan.

As a fanboy of all the Easter Egg references and 80s culture, though, I felt they hit a homerun. Spielberg did a great job of mining both his own projects, and those of his cultural contemporaries in the 80s. It was cool to see a movie which was basically made BECAUSE it was going to blatantly overdo it on the nostalgic stuff. Special effects and music were terrific, too. The Shining scenes in particular were awesome and hilarious (and not even based on the book).

I would recommend it to anyone raised in the late 70s and 80s. I.E. us here at FOFC lol

Well said. Agree with all of the above.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:05 PM   #6791
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Gremlins 2 is great. I'd only seen it once, many moons ago as part of pizza party day in class so I probably didn't pay a lot of attention to it, or appreciate it for what it was, but it's fantastic and has some really strong foreshadowing into the future world.

I loves me some Gremlins 2.

Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 04-03-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:12 PM   #6792
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Here's my top 10 from last year, with some short explanations...

1. The Florida Project - I love naturalistic films like this and growing up near the setting of this film, much of it felt very familiar to me. The little girl (Brooklyn Prince) deserved an Oscar nomination every bit as much as Willem Dafoe.

2. Get Out - Works as a horror film, a comedy, and as a social satire. I find it interesting that many people missed the point of much of the satire, in that it wasn't just attacking direct racism, but condescending liberal white guilt racism ("Tiger Woods is a great golfer", "I would've voted for Obama a 3rd time", etc.)

3. Lady Bird - Earlier in the thread, this was called a ripoff of Rushmore (which I did like), but I like this film better precisely because it goes beyond the cynical, witty, upscale comedy that film was and digs deep into some powerful emotional moments between very realistic characters. I also love films/shows that aren't afraid to make characters unlikable (I loved Girls until the very end).

4. Dunkirk - Another one that got hammered by some people on here. I loved how Nolan created the sense of what it was like being on that beach or on those boats and successfully merged three timelines. The act of forgiveness at the end is one of my favorite movie moments from last year.

5. Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Feel free to call me a fanboy, but I love what Rian Johnson did here. I loved Luke's arc, the throne room fight, the lightspeed charge, the reveal of Rey's parents, and even the Canto Bight sequence (which I think is instrumental in building Poe's arc, setting up the final hopeless situation, and showing the indifferent world outside of the war).

6. Call Me By Your Name - Compelling love story with beautiful acting, dialogue, and scenery. The scene with Michael Stuhlbarg at the end is unforgettable.

7. The Big Sick - A very original romantic comedy with strong chemistry from the leads and memorable supporting characters (Ray Romano keeps impressing me with his post-Raymond career). Also has the funniest film moment of last year with Kumai's 9/11 joke.

8. Shape of Water - Touching and visually compelling romance with a terrific lead performance from Sally Hawkins. It's definitely "out there" like much of Del Toro's work, but I found the mixture of fantasy and reality to be fascinating.

9. Coco - Pixar at their best, with a very moving main story, memorable songs, and an interesting exploration of a different culture.

10. I, Tonya - Was heavily into the coverage of this when it happened, so it was interesting to see a different perspective that (whether true or not, or somewhere in between) challenged my thinking of the event. Amazing transformation from both Margot Robie and Alison Janney to play those parts.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 04-03-2018 at 02:57 PM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:52 PM   #6793
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Here's my top 10 from last year, with some short explanations...

1. The Florida Project - I love naturalistic films like this and growing up near the setting of this film, much of it felt very familiar to me. The little girl (Brooklyn Decker) deserved an Oscar nomination every bit as much as Willem Dafoe.

Brooklyn Prince.

Decker is Andy Roddick's wife
Old 04-06-2018, 10:08 PM   #6794
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Shape of Water - 4/10

Finally watched this tonight. Once I'd cut through all the thick social justice metaphors with a knife, it was just a bunch of meh.

Not terrible, but not anything I hadn't seen before.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:11 AM   #6795
Edward64
Head Coach

Stranger Things - 8/10

Binge watched the 2 seasons and really enjoyed them. Its got the 80's music, the haircuts (although I don't remember the page boy look being that popular), the "good buddies" theme, the high school situations, the awkward crushes ... and the sci-fi theme.

It did take a couple episodes for me to get into it and thought Season 2 was better.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:37 PM   #6796
Atocep
Coordinator

Get Out 8/10 - Loved it. A much better movie than I expected. I know it's been hyped quite a bit, but several friends had called it overrated and mentioned not really liking it. Not sure what's not to like here.

I, Tonya 8.5/10 - Probably my favorite movie from last year. I was 16 when the Kerrigan and reliving the circus of events again was surreal. As mentioned everywhere, Margot Robbie and Allison Janney were phenomenal.

Game Night 7.5/10 - Fun movie. Jason Bateman and Rachel McAdams are good, but Jesse Plemons was amazing. I was worried the previews ruined the movie, but definitely not the case.

Last edited by Atocep : 04-07-2018 at 02:37 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:56 PM   #6797
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Isle of Dogs-9/10. I doubt you will see many movies this year that are more enjoyable. Really well done.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:43 AM   #6798
Edward64
Head Coach

Steel Rain 7.5/10

A Netflix Korean action movie re: assassination attempt and coup against the crazy kid. It had elements of a Korean Jason Bourne, mixed in with snapshots of daily life in NK vs SK, James Bond with a Dr. Evil and impending nuclear war, and a nice bit of comedy.

It was subbed but there were some parts where SK protagonist was speaking English to a US spy which was awful & distracting. I thought acting was okay but really liked the NK snapshots. Not for everyone but I enjoyed it.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:09 AM   #6799
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The Last Jedi 9.9/10

I just got the Blu Ray. I cancelled my Amazon order and got it on blu ray from Best Buy. I thought it was a great movie. Just a minor mark from the witch Leia scene. Massive kudos to John Williams who keeps the soundtrack excellent.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:16 AM   #6800
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Ready Player One: 8.5/10

I took my son who read the book and we had a blast. Combine the 70s/80s pop culture references with an extremely entertaining premise and I really enjoyed it. Granted, being able to talk with my son about DeLoreans, The Shining and Atari games definitely upped the fun factor. I'd highly recommend it and it's one of those movies I think you need to see in a theater.

Last edited by Arles : 04-10-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote