Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-16-2009, 05:05 PM   #51
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I think he's the most overbearingly obnoxious self-important asshole I've ever heard within 50 feet of a microphone and has the worst talent-to-ego ratio in the history of sports broadcasting. He makes Costas seem like the world's most humble guy by comparison. His actual announcing is no better than low-minors quality & if he had a different last name he'd be lucky to have a job with a class A team in Idaho.

He's beyond annoying, he's literally a don't-watch-if-he's-working guy for me and not even Joe Morgan falls into that category 100% of the time (only 99.9%)

You don't watch the World Series or the NFL playoffs? I find that hard to believe that your stance on Joe Buck prevents you from watching those two events.

panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:08 PM   #52
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I'm watching the encore presentation right now. 4 minutes in, and the only reason I haven't changed the channel already is because I want to see the Artie Lange trainwreck. I guess that means it was a success?
Old 06-16-2009, 05:09 PM   #53
miami_fan
Coordinator

What JiMGA said.

If Buck were just a bland PBP guy that would be one thing. Buck goes further than that. I remember listening to Tim Brando on his radio show a few years back. He made it clear that he was going to have strong opinions on his radio show and it was going to surprise some people since he did not and would not express those opinions when he was doing PBP. When I listen to Buck, it seems that he wants to do more in the "radio show host" role, when all I want from his is a description of what is happening on the field. The Randy Moss incident is the most know but he gives you at least one or two or those a game IMO.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:18 PM   #54
RainMaker
General Manager

This also can't be bad news for Buck. I had no idea the show was even on the air and this is the only reason I now know it exists.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:21 PM   #55
digamma
Torchbearer

"Rick Reilly" commenting on the Joe Buck show:
Rick Reilly, ESPN: We got a lot of bang for our Buck with Joe's informative, well-researched, probing interviews. The only lowlight was Artie Lange's classless act, which was as funny as a root canal from Stevie Wonder.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:53 PM   #56
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
You don't watch the World Series or the NFL playoffs? I find that hard to believe that your stance on Joe Buck prevents you from watching those two events.

I've literally watched those with the sound down at times in the past couple of years and I'd almost be interested myself to see how many innings of the past several World Series have even found me with the TV on at all. I know I watched some of '04, very little in '05 or '06, maybe 15 innings worth in '07 and I honestly don't remember in '08 but IIRC bits & pieces actually watched. I haven't watched a Saturday game on Fox in several years

I'll also watch the Colts playoff games, the Falcons playoff games last were interesting enough to me to watch from a "wonder what'll happen" standpoint. Otherwise, it's mostly bits & pieces. I was engaged for the Giants late heroics against the Patriots and for the Colts win but otherwise I mostly only bother with the Super Bowl for the commercials in recent years, which actually makes it pretty easy to tune Buck out pretty much entirely as I'm not really interested in what he's saying.

I'd say 90% of the pro sports events I follow are done with one of the online gametrackers, the amount of time I spend with the TV on live pro sports overall is pretty minimal compared to my other demographic indicators.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:37 PM   #57
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I've literally watched those with the sound down at times in the past couple of years and I'd almost be interested myself to see how many innings of the past several World Series have even found me with the TV on at all. I know I watched some of '04, very little in '05 or '06, maybe 15 innings worth in '07 and I honestly don't remember in '08 but IIRC bits & pieces actually watched. I haven't watched a Saturday game on Fox in several years

I'll also watch the Colts playoff games, the Falcons playoff games last were interesting enough to me to watch from a "wonder what'll happen" standpoint. Otherwise, it's mostly bits & pieces. I was engaged for the Giants late heroics against the Patriots and for the Colts win but otherwise I mostly only bother with the Super Bowl for the commercials in recent years, which actually makes it pretty easy to tune Buck out pretty much entirely as I'm not really interested in what he's saying.

I'd say 90% of the pro sports events I follow are done with one of the online gametrackers, the amount of time I spend with the TV on live pro sports overall is pretty minimal compared to my other demographic indicators.

Is bad announcing the biggest reason that your pro sports TV viewing habits are what they are?
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:42 PM   #58
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post

I yell at him during those telecasts cause he's such a pompous ass.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:43 PM   #59
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I yell at him during those telecasts cause he's such a pompous ass.

Me or Joe Buck?
Old 06-16-2009, 07:46 PM   #60
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Is bad announcing the biggest reason that your pro sports TV viewing habits are what they are?

The biggest? No.

It is a secondary factor in my declining viewing though.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:05 PM   #61
Logan
Head Coach

Saw it earlier. Funny that the repeat bleeped out all the curses.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:17 PM   #62
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think he's the most overbearingly obnoxious self-important asshole I've ever heard within 50 feet of a microphone and has the worst talent-to-ego ratio in the history of sports broadcasting. He makes Costas seem like the world's most humble guy by comparison. His actual announcing is no better than low-minors quality & if he had a different last name he'd be lucky to have a job with a class A team in Idaho.

He's beyond annoying, he's literally a don't-watch-if-he's-working guy for me and not even Joe Morgan falls into that category 100% of the time (only 99.9%)

"""""". I'd much much rather listen to Joe Morgan do a game than Joe Buck. The self-righteous blowhard quotient is through the roof (the Randy Moss bit); kinda surprised Jon-didn't mention that.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:23 PM   #63
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
kinda surprised Jon-didn't mention that.

I think someone else reference already & to be honest I consider it just part of his lifetime achievement award for people-you'd-rather-die-than-be-trapped-in-
an-elevator-with.

He's one of those people that, if we're ever trapped in an elevator together, they'll need at least a coroner afterwards because there's no chance in hell we're both coming out of it alive. How that end is reached is a coin toss since I'm not sure listening to him even longer while I strangle him is worth the difference, it might be easier just to find a way to kill myself.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:15 PM   #64
RainMaker
General Manager

If I did a poll of people who watch sports regularly, I'd garner that well over 50% of people can't stand Joe Buck. Now my question is why does he have a job and why does he continue to get more work?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:18 PM   #65
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
If I did a poll of people who watch sports regularly, I'd garner that well over 50% of people can't stand Joe Buck. Now my question is why does he have a job and why does he continue to get more work?

Because the casual fan can apparently tolerate him - who knows?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:04 AM   #66
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I guess it must be my dislike of Buck, because I found some pretty funny stuff in the video I just saw of it. If Artie cut half of his 'ranting to nowhere' out then I wouldn't have had a problem with it, but he hijacked the show too much and it was annoying. At the same time, I found the beginning of the segment to just be horrible with almost no point or direction from Buck. It would have been offensive either way, because of Lange or because of how bad Buck is/was.

Also, in the Packer world the Favre interview got a lot of attention. Mainly things like Favre referring to the Vikings as "we" once. It is clear he will play with them if healthy. I read a lot of Buck getting ripped though because of how softball the interview was. Never once asked about Ted Thompson and how this is all about getting back at him and the Packer front office.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:36 AM   #67
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think someone else reference already & to be honest I consider it just part of his lifetime achievement award for people-you'd-rather-die-than-be-trapped-in-
an-elevator-with.

He's one of those people that, if we're ever trapped in an elevator together, they'll need at least a coroner afterwards because there's no chance in hell we're both coming out of it alive. How that end is reached is a coin toss since I'm not sure listening to him even longer while I strangle him is worth the difference, it might be easier just to find a way to kill myself.

LOL. Maybe I'm just drunk, but I found this funny.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:21 AM   #68
JediKooter
Coordinator

Joe Buck is not welcome in my house. His dad yes, little Joey, no.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:29 AM   #69
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Rick Reilly, ESPN: We got a lot of bang for our Buck with Joe's informative, well-researched, probing interviews. The only lowlight was Artie Lange's classless act, which was as funny as a root canal from Stevie Wonder.

He must have missed the Favre interview. No probing there.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #70
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

Another dopey comment from an ESPN drone. I have never paid much attention to Rick Reilly, and now I know why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:13 PM   #71
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
He must have missed the Favre interview. No probing there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Another dopey comment from an ESPN drone. I have never paid much attention to Rick Reilly, and now I know why.

"Rick Reilly" is a friend of a friend who has a "fake" twitter account in which he parodies the real Reilly.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:36 PM   #72
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Joe Buck is not welcome in my house. His dad yes, little Joey, no.

If Jack Buck knocks on your door, you better run for the hills, because it's happening.

Last edited by Karlifornia : 06-17-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:08 PM   #73
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
If Jack Buck knocks on your door, you better run for the hills, because it's happening.

Haha!! They call him 'ol Bag of Bones Buck now.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:36 PM   #74
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

This felt like the appropriate thread to ask if anyone saw Bill Simmons new HBO show?

I'm a fan of some of Simmons stuff... Love the NFL podcasts especially the cousin Sal, like his takes on sports stuff on Twitter, ignore NBA and Boston rants. All that said what a heap of shit that first show was. It's like he has wanted to cuss for so many years that he just let it all loose like a freshman girl at her first frat party. The bits were terrible, the cussing was out of place, the set was just odd, and I stopped the Afflack thing about twenty seconds in. Anyone enjoy this?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote