Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-06-2020, 07:16 AM   #20001
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Speaking of deliveries, Amazon and USPS... my daughter ordered a textbook for college on July 18th on Amazon, with a delivery window of July 29-August 5. This wasn't Prime, and it obviously was a low priority shipment. Still, we could see the tracking info as it updated, and it was delivered to the Lexington USPS on July 25th. And it sat there until... August 4th, at which point it was transferred to our local USPS (15 miles away) for delivery on the 5th.

Now, I get that it probably had low priority, but why the hell did it have to sit for 10 days in Lexington? It wasn't like this was a special delivery for packages only - it was delivered through our regular mail delivery and was small enough to fit in the mailbox so the driver didn't even have to bring it up to the door.

I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation for it, but it just seems odd that it would have to sit there until the absolute last day.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:36 AM   #20002
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation for it, but it just seems odd that it would have to sit there until the absolute last day.

There isn't.

My cousin is a postal worker and I asked him about it. Basically they are told whatever mail they have sorted and on the trucks by 9AM is what goes out. Tons of stuff getting left behind every day creating a huge back log.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:43 PM   #20003
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Something from today's GHSFB Daily newsletter caught my eye
Quote:
"Spalding hired Griffin wide receivers coach Carl Kearney to replace Jeff Hammond, who was 1-9 in one season. Kearney has coached at Griffin, his alma mater, since 2016. He previously coached at Apopka in Alabama. Kearney was a Georgia Southern wide receiver who signed on to NFL practice squads."

Why did I notice this more than any of the dozens of other HC changes that happened this year?

Because, off hand at least, I think Kearney may be the first head coach to emerge from the list of players who I covered regularly during their HS playing career. He played at Griffin in the late 90s when I was doing play-by-play for the Bears.

Not that I suddenly feel older than I did when I woke up or anything.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:49 AM   #20004
miami_fan
Coordinator

How do I not remember this brawl?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:10 AM   #20005
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Q: Why was the math text book depressed?

Spoiler
Old 08-12-2020, 04:25 PM   #20006
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
How do I not remember this brawl?

I dunno, it was classic.

I've had fun more than once watching the full clips and noting how many pretty big baseball names make an appearance

edit to add: particularly amusing to me, the on-field festivities included Bob Watson and Joe Torre, both of whom would eventually serve as MLB execs in charge of discipline

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-12-2020 at 04:29 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:06 PM   #20007
stevew
Hall Of Famer

What’s up with the Facebook video “prank” genre. I guess I’m a sucker cause I keep watching them, but it’s always some dumb girl getting rekt or a half witted prank that surely caused a lost deposit on the airbnb
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:06 PM   #20008
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
edit to add: particularly amusing to me, the on-field festivities included Bob Watson and Joe Torre, both of whom would eventually serve as MLB execs in charge of discipline

I read some of the recaps earlier and this moved very near the top of baseball incidents that I wished happened during the social media era.

How long does Joe Torre suspend Joe Torre for these comments?

Quote:
n postgame comments, Torre called Dick Williams “an idiot and you can spell that with a capital I,” and said, “He should be suspended for the rest of the season.”7 While he was at it, Torre added, “It was gutless. It stinks. It was Hitler-like action.”8
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:14 PM   #20009
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
How long does Joe Torre suspend Joe Torre for these comments?

I'm not sure if anyone on the planet liked Dick Williams tho, so maybe he gets some leniancy lol
Old 08-13-2020, 09:43 AM   #20010
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

If you poop in the morning before brushing your teeth, do you wash your hands first with hot water then wait for the water to get cold and brush, or do you brush first while waiting for the water to get warm enough to wash your hands?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:48 AM   #20011
Ksyrup

I always brush with hot water. Why would only your teeth get the cold water treatment when washing nearly everything in hot water is generally more effective?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-13-2020 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:50 AM   #20012
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

As I don't wet the brush before brushing, it's an easy choice... wash hands with hot water and then brush.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:56 AM   #20013
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I like to brush while pooping, it saves time.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:10 AM   #20014
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
If you poop in the morning before brushing your teeth, do you wash your hands first with hot water then wait for the water to get cold and brush, or do you brush first while waiting for the water to get warm enough to wash your hands?

How is this even a question? Of course you wash your hands first.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:13 AM   #20015
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
As I don't wet the brush before brushing, it's an easy choice... wash hands with hot water and then brush.

Same. Why wet the brush first?
Old 08-13-2020, 10:38 AM   #20016
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I like to brush while pooping, it saves time.

Younger kid does often choose to brush in the shower.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:01 AM   #20017
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I still brush in the shower.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:22 PM   #20018
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

What is this "cold water" of which you speak? In the summer our water is "warm" and "slightly less warm"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:58 PM   #20019
JPhillips
General Manager

Poop.
Shave.
Shower.
Brush teeth.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:10 PM   #20020
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Also, I'm definitely a nighttime shower person not morning.

This should be a poll (if it hasn't been already)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-13-2020 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:34 PM   #20021
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Poop.
Shave.
Shower.
Brush teeth.

You shave during Covid time?
Old 08-13-2020, 01:50 PM   #20022
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
You shave during Covid time?

I get so damned itchy after just a day.
Old 08-13-2020, 02:38 PM   #20023
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It’s hard to wear a mask if you are anywhere in between fully shaved or beard.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:14 PM   #20024
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I manage... and I haven't shaved in... 2 months+
Old 08-13-2020, 05:51 PM   #20025
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
What is this "cold water" of which you speak? In the summer our water is "warm" and "slightly less warm"

QFT
Old 08-13-2020, 06:50 PM   #20026
Ksyrup

What shitty week. I need to get a crown on one of my teeth, go to get the permanent put on but I'm having some pain so its root canal time! Did that on Tuesday, then my temporary falls out last night. This morning, my wife blows a tire swerving to avoid a dead cat. Tonight, one of our dogs gets stung by a hornet.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:47 PM   #20027
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So I avoided a potential life changing/ending accident in the kitchen today.

I was sitting in my office, and hear what sounded like a gunshot go off in my kitchen and the sound of broken glass. I walk out, and there is glass spread EVERYWHERE. Little shards all over the place.

I go in the kitchen and on the counter are the remains of a bottle of homebrew. I had an old one sitting in the back of my fridge, so I took it out to pour out, figuring it was stale. But I didn't empty it right away, I left it sitting by the sink. I guess warming up reactivated the yeast and/or bacteria and they went to town and built up pressure until the bottle burst.

I found the cap about 10 feet away on the fireplace hearth, and found other shards of glass 25+ feet away. If I was getting a cup of coffee, or prepping something at the counter when it blew up, it could have ended very badly for me.

Luckily the activity must have turned it to foam, because there wasn't a massive spray of beer everywhere. All of the liquid was on the counter and what dripped onto the floor.

I didn't realize those bottles could build up that much pressure.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:59 PM   #20028
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

Yeah, "bottle bombs" are a thing.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:25 AM   #20029
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
What shitty week. I need to get a crown on one of my teeth, go to get the permanent put on but I'm having some pain so its root canal time! Did that on Tuesday, then my temporary falls out last night. This morning, my wife blows a tire swerving to avoid a dead cat. Tonight, one of our dogs gets stung by a hornet.

I've had a couple root canals in the past decade. I remember the first time I dreaded it but honestly they didn't hurt much beyond the initial set of injections to numb the tooth.

I have had temp crowns pop off at the most inopportune time (once was when I traveled overseas and had to eat on the other side).
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:36 AM   #20030
Ksyrup

That was my first root canal, and I can imagine that once upon a time they were brutal to go through, but I had no trouble at all. It certainly wasn't fun, but I felt no pain throughout the whole thing. It hurt my wallet more than my tooth.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:22 AM   #20031
Edward64
Head Coach

I am almost tempted to look for the video ...

I wonder if this means his competitive lifting career is over.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/13/world...rnd/index.html
Quote:
A Russian power lifter broke both his knees while trying to lift nearly 900 pounds.

Alexander Sedykh was seriously injured while competing in the 2020 World Raw Powerlifting Federation (WPRF) Championships held in Dolgoprudny, which is in the Moscow region of Russia, the Russian state-run news agency RIA Novosti reported.

In a video posted by WRPF on Facebook, Sedykh could be seen attempting to squat the barbell -- weighing about 882 pounds -- and he collapses under the weight, falling onto his knees in visible pain.

Sedykh underwent emergency surgery that lasted six hours, RIA Novosti said.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:25 AM   #20032
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

At least he didn't poop himself while doing the lift.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:31 AM   #20033
spleen1015
Coordinator

@Ksyrup - How was the drilling? Pain has never been an issue for me but the dilling and smell from dental works always gets me. I hope I never have to have a root canal.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:38 AM   #20034
Ksyrup

It definitely seems like a minor construction site going on in your mouth, not gonna lie. And yeah, there's that smell and spraying of water every now and then, but it terms of feel, it was just some pressure/grinding. I had something far worse in mind, so maybe it just was much less worse than what I feared. It wasn't fun, and it took at least 30 minutes, but I didn't even have any pain hours afterward.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:19 AM   #20035
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
So I avoided a potential life changing/ending accident in the kitchen today.

I was sitting in my office, and hear what sounded like a gunshot go off in my kitchen and the sound of broken glass. I walk out, and there is glass spread EVERYWHERE. Little shards all over the place.

I go in the kitchen and on the counter are the remains of a bottle of homebrew. I had an old one sitting in the back of my fridge, so I took it out to pour out, figuring it was stale. But I didn't empty it right away, I left it sitting by the sink. I guess warming up reactivated the yeast and/or bacteria and they went to town and built up pressure until the bottle burst.

I found the cap about 10 feet away on the fireplace hearth, and found other shards of glass 25+ feet away. If I was getting a cup of coffee, or prepping something at the counter when it blew up, it could have ended very badly for me.

Luckily the activity must have turned it to foam, because there wasn't a massive spray of beer everywhere. All of the liquid was on the counter and what dripped onto the floor.

I did about the opposite some 10 years or so ago. I had a pot with a glass top in the pantry, and to save a little storage space I put a bag of potatoes in the pot.

Then I forgot about the potatoes.

Some time later (weeks? months?) I'm in the family room and hear a crashing noise. Go to investigate, and I find the pot, with the imploded glass lid. Whatever maggots or other nasties had rotted the potatoes had apparently used up enough gas that it created enough negative pressure to bust the lid.

After that I wanted to douse the thing in used motor oil for a slow burn (well, in my mind it would have been slow) but my wife nixed that idea and I just tossed the pot.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:28 PM   #20036
Ksyrup

Not that it matters to many people, but I just learned that Randy Jackson is back in Journey as bassist. I knew about the falling out with the old bassist and drummer, but didn't know they had brought him back. I suppose it makes sense given his name recognition.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:32 PM   #20037
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

At first I thought you meant the baseball player Randy Jackson
Old 08-14-2020, 01:50 PM   #20038
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That was my first root canal, and I can imagine that once upon a time they were brutal to go through, but I had no trouble at all. It certainly wasn't fun, but I felt no pain throughout the whole thing. It hurt my wallet more than my tooth.

I have heard that the reason people think root canals hurt so much is that they remember the pain that leads up to the root canal as opposed to the procedure itself. That because of all the numbing stuff, you don't feel anything. And I've had a few root canals and that's my experience. The annoying part is when my dentist invariably does not grind the crown down well and I have pain or headaches from it sitting too high until I have to go back to get them to adjust it.

It seems to be something that just happens with this dentist (as far as I can tell) - previous dentists at this practice I've never had this issue. I think I need a new dentist. The practice seems far more into money anyways.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:07 PM   #20039
Radii
Head Coach

Redheads don't seem to take to Novocaine as well, and as a result I don't see dentists until I have problems (which is of course the worst way to go about it, but that's life). So every filling and every root canal (well, 2) is a fucking nightmare for me. It's usually an extra 30-45 minutes of getting shots of Novocaine, having the dentist do something, me being able to feel it, getting another shot, waiting for it to take, trying again.

That's why I'm afraid of root canals, and the dentist in general. *shudders*

Thank god I can afford laughing gas for anything I need to have done, that helps with the anxiety of "expecting to be able to feel everything" during that process enough to get through appointments.

My last root canal was bad but only b/c I had to go to a specialist who had not been through this process with me before. With a dentist who I've been through that process with, it would be the same.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:02 PM   #20040
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Redheads don't seem to take to Novocaine as well, and as a result I don't see dentists until I have problems (which is of course the worst way to go about it, but that's life). So every filling and every root canal (well, 2) is a fucking nightmare for me. It's usually an extra 30-45 minutes of getting shots of Novocaine, having the dentist do something, me being able to feel it, getting another shot, waiting for it to take, trying again.

Thank god I can afford laughing gas for anything I need to have done, that helps with the anxiety of "expecting to be able to feel everything" during that process enough to get through appointments.

My last root canal was bad but only b/c I had to go to a specialist who had not been through this process with me before. With a dentist who I've been through that process with, it would be the same.

Though I'm not a redhead, I relate entirely with the anesthetic not working well / quickly. My dentist has learned to have me come in 30 minutes earlier than my appointment just to get the process started.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 02:28 AM   #20041
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not that it matters to many people, but I just learned that Randy Jackson is back in Journey as bassist. I knew about the falling out with the old bassist and drummer, but didn't know they had brought him back. I suppose it makes sense given his name recognition.

Yeah so thanks for sending me down a Journey wormhole at 3am. The coup by the bassist and drummer looks fascinating. Then I had no idea the lead singer was a tiny Filipino guy. I also thought he looked about 25 years old and he’s mid 50s. Weird stuff. Crazy what happens to brand name bands who have members age out/die. Everyone is like Menudo now
Old 08-15-2020, 03:23 AM   #20042
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Crazy what happens to brand name bands who have members age out/die. Everyone is like Menudo now

Allow me to introduce the 160+ members of Blood, Sweat & Tears (everybody gets a solo!):

Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 08-15-2020 at 03:27 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:31 AM   #20043
Ksyrup

Ha!

Journey has had a number of members over the years. Steve Augieri was a former singer and Deen Castronovo was their drummer until he was accused of having sex with a minor. That dude was crazy talented, not sure what happened to him. And of course, Jonathon Cain's wife is Trump's "spiritual advisor" and something of a kook.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-15-2020 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:33 AM   #20044
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post

Didn't know that about redheads.

The Pain of Being a Redhead - The New York Times
Quote:
Nobody likes going to the dentist, but redheads may have good reason.

A growing body of research shows that people with red hair need larger doses of anesthesia and often are resistant to local pain blockers like Novocaine. As a result, redheads tend to be particularly nervous about dental procedures and are twice as likely to avoid going to the dentist as people with other hair colors, according to new research published in The Journal of the American Dental Association.

Researchers believe redheads are more sensitive to pain because of a mutation in a gene that affects hair color. In people with brown, black and blond hair, the gene, for the melanocortin-1 receptor, produces melanin. But a mutation in the MC1R gene results in the production of a substance called pheomelanin that results in red hair and fair skin.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:44 AM   #20045
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Ha!

Journey has had a number of members over the years. Steve Augieri was a former singer and Deen Castronovo was their drummer until he was accused of having sex with a minor. That dude was crazy talented, not sure what happened to him. And of course, Jonathon Cain's wife is Trump's "spiritual advisor" and something of a kook.

I never thought Augieri was a good replacement for Steve Perry. Arnel Pineda on the other hand is fantastic and a great rags-to-riches story.

I read a while back how Steve essentially just gave it all up. He had the hip thing but he was just burned out. It would be great if he reconciled with Journey and did somethings with them. He was classy in not wanting to overshadow Arnel in HoF but thought he could have done "more" on that stage.

Wish him well, Journey was great during the 80's. He made Journey.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:51 AM   #20046
Ksyrup

I think he has reconciled with them (or at least Schon) but just isn't interested in performing with them. I think he was on their side in the recent lawsuit but I could be wrong.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:14 AM   #20047
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ok, this could also go in the FM thread, but I'm curious to see what folks think.

The Club World Cup is 8 groups of 3, where the top team from each group advances to the quarterfinals.

(I've stripped names from it, but given an idea of the power levels)

Team A: My team, surprise Champions League winners (beat a bunch of good teams)

Team B: A Brazilian Team. Good but not super great.

Team C: A happy to be here Chinese team (the tournament is hosted in china)

Obviously, the matchup between my team and the Brazilian team will decide who wins the group, if there's a draw then whoever roughs up the third team in the group more would win (remember, 2nd place in the group=go home)

So, obviously you'd probably prefer to play the first and third game in the group, just so you have more time between games. Would you prefer starting with the best team, or ease into it with the lesser team (and does your answer change if you know you're going to play the first two of the three games in the group?)
Old 08-15-2020, 08:44 AM   #20048
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Arnel Pineda on the other hand is fantastic and a great rags-to-riches story.

QFT.

I would absolutely be fine with putting him in the list of best-suited replacement vocalists in rock history. The guy was pretty much perfect for the job afaic.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:11 AM   #20049
spleen1015
Coordinator

I thought there was a house buying thread. Must have confused it with the selling a house thread.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:17 AM   #20050
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
QFT.

I would absolutely be fine with putting him in the list of best-suited replacement vocalists in rock history. The guy was pretty much perfect for the job afaic.

Brian Johnson has to be on that list, too, right?

SI