Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-11-2008, 06:02 PM   #501
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Yeah, it was bad.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:26 PM   #502
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Medical Suspensions are out:

Hill suspended 12-18 months for his horror show leg break
Al-Hassan indefinitely (dislocated elbow, ligament damage)

amongst others

Last edited by SirFozzie : 12-11-2008 at 08:26 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:39 AM   #503
TLK
Pro Starter

From Saturday night.... Dave Kaplan with a great entrance.

TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:54 AM   #504
Flasch186
Coordinator

went on to get his ass kicked.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:32 PM   #505
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Damn

Eilers Shot Dead

Friday, December 26, 2008
by Loretta Hunt ([email protected])

Justin Eilers was shot and died shortly after on Friday morning in an apparent domestic disturbance at an acquaintance’s home in Canyon County, Idaho. Eilers was 30 years old.

Canyon County sheriffs arrived at the residence at 10:44 p.m. MST, where Eilers was found shot and wounded.

"Emergency medical staff took live-saving measures, but they were unsuccessful," said Capt. Dana Maxfield.

Eilers was pronounced dead at the scene. An autopsy conducted Friday released the cause of death as a single gunshot wound to the chest. The bullet reportedly punctured Eilers’ lung before exiting his body, said Monte Cox, Eiler's longtime manager.

Cox said Eilers had gathered with relatives for the holidays, but tensions escalated with an ex-girlfriend, also in attendance. Eilers was asked to leave the residence, but was said to have refused and began throwing dishes and other objects in protest. The home’s owner was then said to have pulled a gun on Eilers and shot him in the chest after a brief verbal confrontation.

Eilers’ ex-girlfriend, mother, and young son were said to have been in the room at the time of the shooting.

James Robert Malec, 48, was arrested and charged with second degree murder in relation with the shooting, said Capt. Maxfield. It is believed that Malec is Eilers’ mother’s boyfriend. Capt. Maxfield could not confirm this relationship or Eilers' alleged interaction with the ex-girlfriend. Maxfield did confirm that numerous relatives were at the scene at the time of the shooting.

Eilers was introduced to the fight game by close friend and former UFC champion Jens Pulver, who saw potential in the former Iowa State middle linebacker. After a brief tryout, Eilers became a member of the formidable Miletich Martial Arts team.

A well-liked figure in the fight community, the athletic heavyweight quickly rose through the ranks and fought for the UFC heavyweight championship against Andrei Arlovski at UFC 51 in June 2005. The fight was stopped 4:10 into the first round when Eilers incurred a knee injury and collapsed to the canvas.

Eilers (19-7-1) appeared in the Octagon four times, and went 1-3 in the UFC.

The Boise native reeled off 10 victories in his next 11 fights and got his second title bid for the EliteXC promotion in 2008.

After a second-round loss to the much heftier Antonio Silva last July, Eilers announced he’d be moving down to the 205-pound division.

“He was really getting his fight career together,” said Cox, who called Eilers a good friend.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:55 PM   #506
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Anyone going to be watching tonight? Looks like one hell of a card.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:59 PM   #507
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Anyone going to be watching tonight? Looks like one hell of a card.

Not watching, but it did look like a pretty loaded card (to my casually trained eye).
Old 12-27-2008, 09:07 PM   #508
Flasch186
Coordinator

im watching at home, by myself

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 12-27-2008, 09:20 PM   #509
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

oh man - i thought about watching - although i've been out till now...drats
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:46 PM   #510
Travis
Pro Rookie

I never want to experience being hit that hard by anything, ever.

Wow.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:40 PM   #511
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, that was a hell of a shot.

Mir has also been landing some nice shots in his fight. Nothing as bone crushing yet as the Jackson one though.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:43 PM   #512
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I am so glad Rampage shut up a lot of people today.

Last edited by DeToxRox : 12-27-2008 at 10:43 PM.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:45 PM   #513
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Wow. Mir just murked Nog. He just destroyed him.

Mir vs Lesnar II, I can't wait.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:45 PM   #514
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Looks like a good rematch in the future.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:48 PM   #515
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

On a note not related to the actual fights:

Granted I don't know the whole backstory but didn't Mir's wife come off as a complete bitch in the previews? Don't know her side of the story but in the way he said it I couldn't help but think "what a bitch".
Old 12-27-2008, 10:50 PM   #516
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
On a note not related to the actual fights:

Granted I don't know the whole backstory but didn't Mir's wife come off as a complete bitch in the previews? Don't know her side of the story but in the way he said it I couldn't help but think "what a bitch".

lol I thought the same thing. I don't know what the deal was either though.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:11 PM   #517
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

A lot of feeling each other out in that round. Evans needs to take some chances or he loses if it stays like this.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:13 PM   #518
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

lol, about the time I hit submit it really picked up.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:16 PM   #519
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Evans needs a knockout or to win each of the last three rounds now if he wants to win.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:19 PM   #520
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Nice takedown and impressive recovery too, thought it was about to be over for a minute.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:20 PM   #521
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Wow. Evans was relentless.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:21 PM   #522
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Wow, that guy is impressive.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:39 PM   #523
PilotMan
Head Coach

Well, I am sure that Dana's plans for the LH division just went up in smoke. Although, where Griffin was a big fan fav, Evans easily plays the bad boy. With is wins over the Iceman and Griffin he has taken out two of the most popular guys in the UFC.

So there was a lot of talk going in about Wanderlei and Griffin going at it after this. Now the next LH title fight looks like it could be Jackson and Evans.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:43 PM   #524
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Well, I am sure that Dana's plans for the LH division just went up in smoke. Although, where Griffin was a big fan fav, Evans easily plays the bad boy. With is wins over the Iceman and Griffin he has taken out two of the most popular guys in the UFC.

So there was a lot of talk going in about Wanderlei and Griffin going at it after this. Now the next LH title fight looks like it could be Jackson and Evans.

Honestly, I am curious when Machida ever gets his shot. He is not someone who has exciting fights, but he is a machine. With the way guys are dropping, as long as he keeps rolling he should be due for a shot in 2009.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:53 PM   #525
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

really glad to see Mir demolish Nog. As much of a Nog-fanboy as I am, it's always great to see somebody overcome their personal demons and return to form.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:59 PM   #526
Calis
College Starter

I think Machida gets pushed back again. If he beats Alves in January(which he should), it'll be hard to hold it off much longer, but an Evans vs. Machida title fight is among the lowest pulling fights they could put out there. It doesn't really have the makings of a barn burner either.

Really surprised at how Mir looked. I think Nog has reached an age and amount of hits taken where his old style can't hack it anymore. Didn't look good at all.

Rampage and Silva was a tough one for me as those are easily my two favorite fighters. I was pulling for Rampage though to get some revenge so I'm glad to see he did. I think he makes for an interesting fight with Evans as well.

Forrest looked good those first two rounds, but there was no comparison in power and he got caught. He'll be back, class act.

Good times for MMA. We had this card, then Franklin vs. Hendo coming up, Penn/St. Pierre 2, and Fedor/Arlovski all next month.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:19 AM   #527
BYU 14
Coordinator

Mir looked like he trained in a time machine for this fight. It is by far the best he has looked since before his accident and he deserves a ton of credit, looks like he is finally back. A rematch with Lesnar could be very intriguing in based on Mir's performance tonight. I wonder if might consider actually trying to slug it out with Brock in the rematch.

I agree regarding Machida too, he is the MMA version of Marlon Starling. A Machida/Evans bout would draw nowhere near as well as a Jackson/Evans matchup would, or better yet, maybe Anderson Silva now has a reason to stay at 205.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 12-28-2008 at 01:21 AM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:13 AM   #528
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Next for Mir is a title unification bout against UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar.
"I don't want any of this s--- that I'm half the champ," Mir said. "I beat Nogueira. [Lesnar] beat a champion in Randy Couture. Let's see if he can make it out of the first round, but hey, this time I'll make him famous on the break that I do to him."

Them be fighting words.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:02 AM   #529
PilotMan
Head Coach

Oh yeah, between those two. Between their mouths, and the results of the first fight, Dana has a sure fire winner in that matchup. There will certainly be plenty to talk about and a lot hype.

Like Steam?

Old 12-28-2008, 10:52 AM   #530
lungs
Pro Rookie

Hell yes. I put $100 on Evans last night.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:01 PM   #531
Travis
Pro Rookie

Mir came into this fight with some fear which in the end, seemed to be a good thing for him and his training. I wonder if he might be a bit over confident and under estimate Brock for the rematch though. He should rewatch tape of their fight only up until Brock makes his rookie mistake and remember the beating he was taking prior to that moment.

Personally I'll be rooting for Brock not to make any silly mistakes. Some ragged on him a bit for his conditioning during the fight with Randy but it really seemed to me like he was being deliberate in what he was doing to avoid making any sort of match ending mistake. If Mir wins, make him earn it just as Brock will have to be at his best to take home the title.

I do hope that the match hits the ground at some point to see if Brock can nullify Mir's BJJ which I assume will happen as I can't imagine Mir wanting to keep the match standing even with the success he had last night.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:03 PM   #532
molson
General Manager

MMA is really breaking into the mainstream - I'm only a VERY casual observer and heard about this last show, before and after, from front page ESPN.com links. The only other time I remember that happening involved a Brock Lesnar fight.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:19 PM   #533
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Personally, I think Lesnar is going to murder Mir. Lesnar has learned a lot since their first meeting and I think a lot of how good Mir looked last night was actually how bad Nog looked. Dude is done. He and Chuck should ride off into the sunset together.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:38 PM   #534
Flasch186
Coordinator

Im not sure ANYONE can beat this new Lesnar. Fedor, maybe?

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 12-28-2008, 08:46 PM   #535
Travis
Pro Rookie

I really think the way to beat Lesnar right now is to find a way to push the pace and make him rely more on instinct than anything else. Certainly a double edged sword as he's got a strong wrestling base to work from, but unless you have a big reach advantage over him the best bet is to hope he gives up an arm or a leg for a submission attempt and if you push the pace and don't let him plan out what he's going to do next like he was doing against Couture I think the chances of a limb becoming available for a submission manuever increase significantly.

Early on I'd still give Lesnar the edge standing but if the match hits the ground for any prolonged period of time, well, it'd certainly favor Mir if he can keep the pace brisk down there and force Lesnar into a mistake.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:51 PM   #536
Flasch186
Coordinator

welp, Id say you'd think that Lesnar would size-wise want to go to the ground, added upon his wrestling past HOWEVER his punches and the size of his fists leads me to believe he's apt to let Mir up.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 12-28-2008, 08:53 PM   #537
Schmidty
Coordinator

I wish I hadn't been so cheap and just ordered the PPV.

Oh well.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:08 PM   #538
Flasch186
Coordinator

hmm, y'know had I tivoed it I coulda given you the ID# to my slingbox and you coulda streamed it to your computer. Oh well, I didnt

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 12-28-2008, 10:56 PM   #539
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
Im not sure ANYONE can beat this new Lesnar. Fedor, maybe?

Lesnar has improved a lot, but Fedor would murder him right now, which is certainly no shame. I really don't think Lesnar could compete with Fedor for another 2 years at least as he would be able to work his standup and BJJ more and Fedor would be 2 years older.

Apart from Fedor, with the size, strength, speed and wrestling background he has, I don't see Lesnar losing to anyone else unless he gets careless or overly aggressive and gets caught with a big shot or submitted.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:17 PM   #540
PilotMan
Head Coach

That's what I would have said about Faber in the WEC. But Faber believed his own hype eventually, got careless and got kayoed. It can happen here too. Time will tell.

Like Steam?

Old 12-28-2008, 11:29 PM   #541
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
That's what I would have said about Faber in the WEC. But Faber believed his own hype eventually, got careless and got kayoed. It can happen here too. Time will tell.

You're totally right there. He fell in love with being flashy instead of just being technically sound and he got caught. I heard him on the Scott Ferrel show before that fight and you could tell he was enjoying himself way too much. He even introduced himself to another sports figure that called in as "The California Kid" That loss will probably be a big wake up call for him. We will see how the rematch with Pulver goes next Month.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:08 AM   #542
Flasch186
Coordinator

very true sans size

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 01-02-2009, 11:53 PM   #543
PilotMan
Head Coach

No discussion about the new years eve show from Japan. Honestly, a crappy show with the exception of Eddie Alvarez getting tapped out in odd fashion, and losing his title. I would still love to see him back in the US fighting.

That whole Cro-Cop - Hong-Man thing wasn't going to go well from the start.

Oh, and Mark Hunt getting TKO'ed, for the first time in his career, by a late sub who weighed less than 200lbs.

Like Steam?

Old 01-03-2009, 07:55 AM   #544
Calis
College Starter

Quote:

Oh, and Mark Hunt getting TKO'ed, for the first time in his career, by a late sub who weighed less than 200lbs.

To be fair that late sub is probably the scariest striker in MMA. Manhoef is a beast, he just has no ground game whatsoever. He can stand with anybody though. Still surprising, but not that much. I thought Hunt would take more of a beating before going down.

The show was pretty bland overall, but the K-1 New Year's Eve shows are always spectacles. Alistair Overeem sure looked good though, and how huge is that guy now? He's put on like 50 pounds of muscle in the last year or two. Nice showing for him.

Cro Cop was never going to look good against HMC. I think he did about as well as he could have there.

Wish we could've seen JZ/Hansen, sucks that one got scrapped.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:25 PM   #545
Flasch186
Coordinator

anyone getting the PPV tonight?

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 01-17-2009, 02:37 PM   #546
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Im headed out to a bar with some friends. I think it started around 3pm, so I will have to be careful until tonight.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:02 PM   #547
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
anyone getting the PPV tonight?

No more than 1 a month for me, and with Affliction on the 24th and Penn/GSP on the 31st, this card wasn't worth it (it's fairly weak anyway), if I even order either of the other two. I'm leaning towards the Affliction card cause I'm curious to see what Arlovski can do against Fedor.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:04 PM   #548
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

what deattribution said
Old 01-17-2009, 04:03 PM   #549
Flasch186
Coordinator

welp, Im going to skip it than as GSP / Penn is a must buy for me.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 01-17-2009, 05:16 PM   #550
AlexB
Pro Starter

Spoiler
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote