Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-21-2019, 11:38 AM   #1
JPhillips
General Manager

ping: Anyone with ADA Deaf Access Requirements Knowledge

I'm producing and performing in a play and I got a request for a sign interpreter. Cost is a serious issue, so I want to know what is required and what other options might be available.

Thanks.

JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:52 AM   #2
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'm producing and performing in a play and I got a request for a sign interpreter. Cost is a serious issue, so I want to know what is required and what other options might be available.

Thanks.

Is it a long run or a one off? If it is a smaller affair, maybe uou can find a volunteer? Someone involved in your play probanly knows someone who knows sign, I would imagine.

No idea what it would cost to hire an interpeter, though (sorry).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:24 PM   #3
JPhillips
General Manager

It's a one-man show, and I don't know anyone who would volunteer. With seating/ticketing the maximum take is 4500, but that gets split 60/40 with the venue. I've already spent about 600 to do the show, so a few hundred dollars for an interpreter is probably money out of my pocket that I can't earn back.

Artistically I'm all for it, I just don't know how to make it work on my shoestring budget.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:48 PM   #4
MrBug708
Head Coach

Try local high schools that offers ASL and work with a teacher of a level four student if they want the practice. Maybe toss in 50 bucks?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:35 AM   #5
britrock88
Pro Starter

Thread necromancy...

Scoping here: the ADA applies to entities such as places of public accommodations--that seems to me like it's the venue that should receive/accommodate the request.

(IANAL in NY)
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:44 AM   #6
JPhillips
General Manager

So the show is this coming weekend. We decided to accommodate the request and went about finding an interpreter, but the patron said they weren't coming after all, so no money spent. When I did speak to a lawyer and a theatre construction guy, they both said the same thing, once an accomodation is asked for, you pretty much have to do it. I may havebeen able to argue "undue burden," but I may not and the process would have been long and potentially costly.

If the patron hadn't backed out, I would have started looking for quick grants. Artistically it was an exciting option, but financially I couldn't afford it, even splitting wth the venue.