Looks like another close call.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/21/us/ca...lan/index.html
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:33 PM   #1552
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

The article really doesn't provide any additional info on how the authorities thought he was a risk (e.g. owning weapons and a lot of ammo in itself doesn't mean much).

I'll give the cops the benefit of doubt and assume more incriminating evidence will become public but just by the article, it provides nothing to indicate this person should have been arrested.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:00 AM   #1553
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
The article really doesn't provide any additional info on how the authorities thought he was a risk (e.g. owning weapons and a lot of ammo in itself doesn't mean much).

I'll give the cops the benefit of doubt and assume more incriminating evidence will become public but just by the article, it provides nothing to indicate this person should have been arrested.

Telling coworkers you plan on coming to work and shooting them isn't grounds for arrest?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:45 AM   #1554
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Telling coworkers you plan on coming to work and shooting them isn't grounds for arrest?

Where does the article say that? Did he tell a co-worker about it or did the co-worker assume something and reported him?

Sure, if a co-worker came in and said "I'm going to shoot you/everyone", pretty good grounds for arrest. All the article said was "a tip" with no other details.

Quote:
Rodolfo Montoya, 37, allegedly was planning to shoot employees and guests at the Marriott hotel where he worked as a cook, Chief Robert Luna said at a press conference Wednesday.

Police arrested Montoya at his Huntington Beach home after getting a tip from a fellow employee about Montoya's plans, Luna said.

"Suspect Montoya had clear plans, intent, and the means to carry out an act of violence that may have resulted in a mass-casualty incident," Luna said.

Police seized multiple high-powered weapons, tactical gear and high-capacity magazines in a search of Montoya's home.

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-22-2019 at 05:47 AM.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:13 AM   #1555
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Where does the article say that? Did he tell a co-worker about it or did the co-worker assume something and reported him?

Sure, if a co-worker came in and said "I'm going to shoot you/everyone", pretty good grounds for arrest. All the article said was "a tip" with no other details.

Disgruntled cook threatened mass shooting at Long Beach Marriott - Los Angeles Times

Quote:
Police said Montoya told a coworker Monday that he planned to come into work and shoot everybody he saw at the hotel.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:36 AM   #1556
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Atocep, that's a link to a different article...

(Yes, I agree that the original CNN article linked was vague about why he was investigated. It read like "he's got a lot of guns, so y'all need to search his house" was even a possibility. They've since updated it a bit.)
Old 08-22-2019, 10:37 AM   #1557
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Atocep, that's a link to a different article...

(Yes, I agree that the original CNN article linked was vague about why he was investigated. It read like "he's got a lot of guns, so y'all need to search his house" was even a possibility. They've since updated it a bit.)

Yeah I'm guessing the CNN article was updated a bit when I initially read it because it was implying the arrest was based on a threat to a coworker and I had read an arcile prior that made it a bit more clear. I linked the LA Times article for better clarification.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:40 PM   #1559
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

WTF? Thoughts to anyone involved.

When will we admit there is an issue?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:49 PM   #1560
Ben E Lou

Some reports are coming in that he hijacked a mail truck and is shooting people at random on the highway.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:53 PM   #1561
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Some reports are coming in that he hijacked a mail truck and is shooting people at random on the highway.

When are we going to finally ban mail trucks?
Old 08-31-2019, 04:57 PM   #1562
Ben E Lou

And yes, I realize that local law enforcement has initially said that there are multiple shooters, but we’ve been here before. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but I’m always skeptical of the “multiple shooter“ early narrative.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:59 PM   #1563
Ben E Lou

Other possibility: it’s Texas. Seems completely plausible that someone could have returned fire.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:00 PM   #1564
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, early reports are generally as useful as my posts on FOFC. However it is interesting that they identified two seperate vehicles, the mail truck and a Toyota.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:19 PM   #1565
Ben E Lou

Local M/O CBS affiliate reporting that a suspect is is custody.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:22 PM   #1566
Atocep
Coordinator

Midland to Odessa is prime good guys with guns territory. Maybe that's not a reliable national defense for active shooters.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:24 PM   #1567
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Other possibility: it’s Texas. Seems completely plausible that someone could have returned fire.

That must be it, because we all know the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun and a mail truck is a good guy with a gun. That of course is after 30 people get shot, or in Dayton 9 in a minute.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:48 PM   #1568
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
That must be it, because we all know the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun and a mail truck is a good guy with a gun. That of course is after 30 people get shot, or in Dayton 9 in a minute.
Dude, there’s no need to get snippity. I was merely stating a plausible scenario as to why yet again early reports of multiple shooters may be incorrect.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:50 PM   #1569
Ben E Lou

Now police are saying that a suspect was shot and killed.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:03 PM   #1570
QuikSand
lolzcat

a 17 month old shot in the face

yes I want to make us all feel uncomfortable
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 06:08 PM   #1571
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
a 17 month old shot in the face
ugh
Old 08-31-2019, 06:10 PM   #1572
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Dude, there’s no need to get snippity. I was merely stating a plausible scenario as to why yet again early reports of multiple shooters may be incorrect.

My comment was in no way intended to be snippy. My apologies if it came off that way.

I am just tired of the narrative.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:13 PM   #1573
Ben E Lou

Fair enough.

At least 5 dead and 21 wounded, per police.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:40 PM   #1574
cuervo72
Head Coach

UPDATE: 9 shot, teen arrested in football shooting – WKRG News 5
Old 08-31-2019, 10:21 PM   #1575
SackAttack
Head Coach

If only those damn liberals in Texas had less restrictive gun laws I'm morally certain a good guy with a gun could have stopped this before the police got involved.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:23 PM   #1576
PilotMan
Head Coach

Why even bother with police when everyone can be a police?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:44 AM   #1577
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

yada yada another

because guns
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:15 PM   #1578
QuikSand
lolzcat

#Villanova ?

(hoping reports from local police are true, and this is a false alarm)
Old 09-02-2019, 10:06 PM   #1579
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
#Villanova ?

(hoping reports from local police are true, and this is a false alarm)

Sounds like a false alarm. Everyone is on edge.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:44 PM   #1580
RainMaker
General Manager

Gun in Texas was purchased through the background check loophole via a private sale. He had previously failed a background check.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:54 PM   #1581
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Gun in Texas was purchased through the background check loophole via a private sale. He had previously failed a background check.

maybe this will matter... it feels like it should, but we've been fooled before
Old 09-03-2019, 04:07 PM   #1582
JPhillips
General Manager

For it to matter either McConnell or the TX leg and Gov have to change.

I doubt that will happen.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:18 PM   #1583
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

I don't get the problem with a background check in a private sale. Maybe way back when there was no instant background check system but now?
Old 09-04-2019, 10:34 PM   #1584
Edward64
Head Coach

I don't mind firearms and ammo going to more specialized stores. It may result in higher costs as there is less competition but that's okay by me.

Wonder how much firearms & ammo factor into their profit relative to other merchandise?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/03/busin...les/index.html
Quote:
The company, America's largest retailer, said it will stop selling handgun ammunition and "short-barrel rifle ammunition," such as the .223 caliber and 5.56 caliber, that can also be used on assault-style weapons after selling all of its current inventory. Walmart (WMT) will also stop selling handguns in Alaska, the only state where it still sells handguns. And Walmart will request that customers no longer openly carry guns into its 4,700 US stores, or its Sam's Club stores, in states that allow open carry.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:47 PM   #1585
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

4 people injured in shooting on Elm Street in LaGrange

One of those shot works for my wife. She had to talk to the mother of the victim today, who thankfully will live albeit with potential life altering complications. Was a gut wrenching conversation.

Just another day in 'Murica! So angry.

Last edited by Lathum : 09-16-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:23 AM   #1586
Edward64
Head Coach

Need more info, current article doesn't have a lot of details on sequence of events. Kinda smells funny IMO

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/17/us/ge...hot/index.html
Quote:
A Georgia homeowner shot and killed three masked teens as they approached his residence with their faces covered, authorities said.

The three victims, one 15-year-old and two 16-year-olds, were all from the area but did not live in the specific neighborhood they were in, the Rockdale County Sheriff's Office said.

The teens approached three residents at the front yard of a home early Monday morning and attempted to rob them, authorities say. One of the would-be robbers took out a gun and fired shots at them, before one of the residents returned fire.

"The victims of the attempted robbery were all uninjured, but the three attempted robbery suspects were all shot during the exchange of gunfire and succumbed to their injuries, one on scene and two at a local hospital after being transported," the sheriff's department said in a press release.

One neighbor told CNN affiliate WSB he heard someone asking for help.
"I heard a guy yelling for help. 'Help me help me, I'm dying, I'm dying, help me, help me," Brian Jenkins told the affiliate.

Another neighbor said they ran out to help after they heard what sounded like five shots from a handgun.

"Then I heard somebody have an assault rifle," Carlos Watson told WSB. "And it was a slew of shots that came out."

Georgia is one of at least 10 states with self-defense laws that include language stating a person may "stand his or her ground," according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Stand your ground laws allow people to respond to threats or force without fear of criminal prosecution.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:53 AM   #1587
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Need more info, current article doesn't have a lot of details on sequence of events. Kinda smells funny IMO

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/17/us/ge...hot/index.html

It does to me as well. This happened really close to us. If I had to guess, the guys where in the front yard selling drugs, and these guys came to steal money/drugs. Maybe more or something else, but this was not a random robbery.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:28 PM   #1588
GrantDawg

Actually, I heard straight from an officer that was at the scene. The kids had been breaking into cars in the area, and had stole a gun from one. They were in the home owners cars, but he was up and heard something. He came out armed and yelled for them to leave, one of them shot at him. All three where hit at the house, though two ran down the road before collapsing. One died immediately, the other two died in transit. The home owner was super distraught, especially when he found out how young they were. He is not going to be charged.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2019, 08:32 PM   #1589
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Yet Beto wants him disarmed
Old 09-18-2019, 10:00 PM   #1590
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Actually, I heard straight from an officer that was at the scene. The kids had been breaking into cars in the area, and had stole a gun from one. They were in the home owners cars, but he was up and heard something. He came out armed and yelled for them to leave, one of them shot at him. All three where hit at the house, though two ran down the road before collapsing. One died immediately, the other two died in transit. The home owner was super distraught, especially when he found out how young they were. He is not going to be charged.

Now why couldn't the article report these basics?

He's a darn good shot to hit all 3 of them.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:04 PM   #1591
Edward64
Head Coach

Not sure it'll do that much good, there are many other players in the market but a step in the right direction and maybe some in the industry will follow. I wouldn't want the AR-15 to completely go away but don't mind a reduction.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/19/busin...r15/index.html
Quote:
Colt, the manufacturer of the AR-15 rifle, has announced it's exiting the consumer rifle market as demand for high-powered, semi-automatic guns wanes.

The consumer market for rifles has "experienced significant excess manufacturing capacity" and there's too much supply of AR-15 guns on the market to justify making more, the company said in a statement. Colt will still manufacture other consumer guns, including pistols and revolvers, and it will continue to expand its network of dealers.
:
:
"Currently, these high-volume contracts are absorbing all of Colt's manufacturing capacity for rifles," the Connecticut-based company said.

Colt reaffirmed its support for the Second Amendment, but the company said that it is "good sense to follow consumer demand and to adjust as market dynamics change."
Old 09-19-2019, 11:43 PM   #1592
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Yet Beto wants him disarmed

If that's the way we want to take this incident - there wouldn't be a gun in a car to steal to create the situation in the first place.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:12 AM   #1593
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Not sure it'll do that much good, there are many other players in the market but a step in the right direction and maybe some in the industry will follow. I wouldn't want the AR-15 to completely go away but don't mind a reduction.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/19/busin...r15/index.html

Colt is already a marginal player in the AR scene. They are 4-5x more expensive than the more "popular" players and not on par quality wise with their price contemporaries. This is more of a graceful exit after losing in business than any moral stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
If that's the way we want to take this incident - there wouldn't be a gun in a car to steal to create the situation in the first place.
So...now Beto wants to take assault rifles and all handguns. Thats quite an expansion
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:07 AM   #1594
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
So...now Beto wants to take assault rifles and all handguns. Thats quite an expansion

Nope, I haven't seen him say that. But I wouldn't be against losing your gun rights by leaving a weapon in vehicle that can hardly be secured. I think there should very strict gun laws that place the responsibility squarely on the gun owner if their guns are used in the commission of a crime. One of the main reasons I am for sensible gun control measures is because I have been surrounded by gun owners all my life. Many of the ones I know that own the most guns are people I wouldn't trust to handle any kind of responsibility. The fact they own the most dangerous of weapons, and brag about how much they would love to use them in very inappropriate ways, scares me.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:09 AM   #1595
GrantDawg

Dola: Just as an example. I know several gun owners that have lost their right to drive. They are too irresponsible to drive, but can perfectly legally own several weapons of war.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:46 AM   #1596
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Nope, I haven't seen him say that. But I wouldn't be against losing your gun rights by leaving a weapon in vehicle that can hardly be secured. I think there should very strict gun laws that place the responsibility squarely on the gun owner if their guns are used in the commission of a crime. One of the main reasons I am for sensible gun control measures is because I have been surrounded by gun owners all my life. Many of the ones I know that own the most guns are people I wouldn't trust to handle any kind of responsibility. The fact they own the most dangerous of weapons, and brag about how much they would love to use them in very inappropriate ways, scares me.

I'm all for secured possession responsibility.
But inside my locked car in my driveway is pretty reasonably secured in my view.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:54 AM   #1597
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

That's the stance of many on the left. Beto's just grabbing for the low hanging fruit at the moment.

So let's say Beto gets his wish and assault weapons are banned, gun violence will continue since most shootings aren't done by assault weapons. People with hand guns have proven more than capable to commit mass shootings as well.

What laws do you think politicians like Beto would propose next? Banning hand guns isn't out of the question.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:08 PM   #1598
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I'm all for secured possession responsibility.
But inside my locked car in my driveway is pretty reasonably secured in my view.

Is it also in a lockbox with the key in a separate spot or some sort of biometric way to unlock it?

If not I wouldn't consider that very secure at all.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:02 PM   #1599
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Is it also in a lockbox with the key in a separate spot or some sort of biometric way to unlock it?

If not I wouldn't consider that very secure at all.

How dare he expect people to follow the law.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 06:06 PM   #1600
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
How dare he expect people to follow the law.

Hah. Yeah, well guess everyone should just trust, and fire all their security guards.