Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2019, 07:52 AM   #101
Edward64
Pro Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead Spock View Post
Or how 'bout the d-bags with a full-size rolling bag, a backpack, and a laptop bag? How the hell do they carry this off as 'one item'? Saw this innumerable times the last time I flew.

Delta has been pretty good at 1 roller bag and +1 carry on. They suck at enforcing the +1 carry on to go at bottom of seat in front of you.

I don't see why flight attendants don't enforce this more. Honestly, they aren't doing that much during boarding other than smile and close the overheads at the end of the boarding process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead Spock View Post
Also, after all the special-boarding types, why do they not board from back to front? Not that the aforementioned a-holes will adhere to the system in any event, but wouldn't it make more sense to get the back seats filled up first?

2 reasons.

The premium flyers are at the front half. Letting the masses board first will inevitably mean that some premium flyers are short on luggage space.

The other reason is that premium flyers are more experienced in the boarding process and theory will get out of the way and settle down quicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead Spock View Post
Oh, and eff Delta.

Agree with this (and not just Delta). For PilotMan, I will say that pilots have been much, much better at communicating with passengers during delays. They really sucked up through the 00's timeframe.

Everyone remember's SNL skit on flight attendants doing "buh bye". Absolutely happened but now I appreciate its more varied. I wish airlines allow passengers to grade flight attendants and crew ... they had touchscreen monitors to allow this and now we can do it on our smartphone. They haven't because they are scared of the grades IMO.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:10 PM   #102
Mota
College Benchwarmer
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I donít fly much and every time I do Iím reminded why I donít .
Flying to philly this am for a quick day trip. What is with all the fawking giant purses. I swear to God Iíve been hot by 40 different ladies boarding this flight strutting down the aisle and swinging their bags wildly.

I was flying last week (via Air Transat).

Great experience, but that carry-on luggage is getting huge. 30lb hard suitcases that old ladies and scrawny dudes are trying to throw in the overhead compartments. It was pretty frightening, in the two flights, I saw several people that nearly got concussions when those large suitcases got pulled down after the flight, nearly crashing on people's heads.

If you can't lift the suitcase over your head cleanly, you should check it. Or at least ask for help.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:02 PM   #103
BishopMVP
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Concord, MA/UMass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I was flying last week (via Air Transat).

Great experience, but that carry-on luggage is getting huge. 30lb hard suitcases that old ladies and scrawny dudes are trying to throw in the overhead compartments. It was pretty frightening, in the two flights, I saw several people that nearly got concussions when those large suitcases got pulled down after the flight, nearly crashing on people's heads.

If you can't lift the suitcase over your head cleanly, you should check it. Or at least ask for help.
Seriously, don't drop the weights bro.


The one time I was close to flipping out recently was when I was getting back to Charlotte on a multiple delayed flight (not uncommon for Charlotte in the summer with all the thunderstorms) at 2am and I guess the jet bridge wasn't working so they made the announcement that "it's about a foot and a half difference from the plane exit, and it would be unsafe, so please stay seated and buckled in while they fix it".... like, dude, I'll take my chances with a slightly larger than normal step, and I know we're not going to move from here anyways.

Also had the fun one where I was supposed to fly up Friday night for a lacrosse tournament on Long Island & fly back Sunday afternoon at like 5... thunderstorms happened, flight got pushed back back back and eventually they said they could fly me to Orlando mid-afternoon Saturday, then get me a hotel for the night there, and get me into NYC at 3:30 Sunday. I drove up (crashed for 30 minutes in a Jersey turnpike rest stop and made my 8am!) and the first booking agent tried arguing I shouldn't get refunded because they were getting me to my destination and delays were part of the process. I'm like what do you think I am, a drug courier?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:12 PM   #104
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Behind Enemy Lines in Athens, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
30lb hard suitcases that old ladies and scrawny dudes are trying to throw in the overhead compartments. It was pretty frightening, in the two flights, I saw several people that nearly got concussions when those large suitcases got pulled down after the flight, nearly crashing on people's heads. If you can't lift the suitcase over your head cleanly, you should check it. Or at least ask for help.

When you're blatantly encouraged to stuff as much in them as you can (literally three recent flights in our family where that was the advice of the airline employees) in order to keep checked bag underweight, that's gonna be a tough one.

Right down to "put your heaviest stuff in the carry-on, always" being the advice of one airline employee.

I get your point but, realistically, as long as bags are treated as ways to access passenger wallets then the majority of travelers are going to do what they're legally entitled to do to minimize that.
__________________
"I lit another cigarette. Unless I specifically inform you to the contrary, I am always lighting another cigarette." - from a novel by Martin Amis
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:19 PM   #105
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Behind Enemy Lines in Athens, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
What is with all the fawking giant purses.

As one travel site summed it up "Personal item restrictions vary by airline, and some choose not to include any specifics at all. In those cases, the general rule of thumb is an item smaller in dimension and weight than your carry-on bag."

And most have no weight limit on your carry-on bag. So "smaller" <> "smaller by a lot".
__________________
"I lit another cigarette. Unless I specifically inform you to the contrary, I am always lighting another cigarette." - from a novel by Martin Amis
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:39 PM   #106
BishopMVP
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Concord, MA/UMass
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
When you're blatantly encouraged to stuff as much in them as you can (literally three recent flights in our family where that was the advice of the airline employees) in order to keep checked bag underweight, that's gonna be a tough one.

Right down to "put your heaviest stuff in the carry-on, always" being the advice of one airline employee.

I get your point but, realistically, as long as bags are treated as ways to access passenger wallets then the majority of travelers are going to do what they're legally entitled to do to minimize that.
I get why they're overloaded. But I assume most 30 year old males who looks like they've played sports will be happy to help put them up/get them down if you ask them instead of protecting myself as people who have never lifted a weight equal to their suitcase have little control over the descent in a confined space.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:47 PM   #107
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Behind Enemy Lines in Athens, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
But I assume most 30 year old males who looks like they've played sports will be happy to help put them up/get them down if you ask them instead of protecting myself as people who have never lifted a weight equal to their suitcase have little control over the descent in a confined space.

You're ignoring human nature too much if you think more than maybe 1/3rd or 1/4th will ask for help though. You might as well expect them to, err, well "fly".
__________________
"I lit another cigarette. Unless I specifically inform you to the contrary, I am always lighting another cigarette." - from a novel by Martin Amis
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:11 PM   #108
RainMaker
Head Coach
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Saw this in my timeline and thought of this thread.

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:07 AM   #109
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Backwoods, SC
So I get the 'why'...but my frustration Saturday was more the 'how' I suppose.

I'm sitting in my seat on the aisle. (I think I was in group 6 of 9..not like I was 1st class or an early boarder or anything.) And so many folks walking down the aisle with these behemoth purses thrown over their shoulder just bouncing off each person as they drug them down the aisle. Have we really reached the point where we dont realize we are hitting another person and think that's ok?
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:06 PM   #110
Izulde
Head Coach
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead Spock View Post
Or how 'bout the d-bags with a full-size rolling bag, a backpack, and a laptop bag? How the hell do they carry this off as 'one item'? Saw this innumerable times the last time I flew.

Rolling bag in the overhead compartment, backpack underneath the seat in my case. If I use a laptop/tablet bag/sleeve, it either goes in my backpack or carry-on.
__________________
2006 Golden Scribe Nominee
2006 Golden Scribe Winner
Best Non-Sport Dynasty: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:17 PM   #111
molson
General Manager
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

I don't see why flight attendants don't enforce this more. Honestly, they aren't doing that much during boarding other than smile and close the overheads at the end of the boarding process.

Nobody wants to be on the front page of CNN.com when some conflict with a passenger goes awry.

Somebody will lose their meds when a bag is checked, or their laptop will break, or they'll accuse the attendant of being racist or sexist or that they're punishing them for their Make America Great or Warren 2020 hat.

Last edited by molson : 08-19-2019 at 02:22 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:19 PM   #112
Capital
High School Varsity
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
How about those who think they can make it to the bathroom when there's turbulence or when the cart is coming down the aisle.

I've seen someone take an elbow to the head when the fasten seat belt sign was one and there was clear turbulence.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:20 PM   #113
Capital
High School Varsity
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
The reclining seat is a pet peeve of mine when I usually am trying to work and it's just a tablet and small keyboard. It's really not necessary and would like to see the industry simply disable to recline.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:34 PM   #114
miami_fan
Pro Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Land O Lakes FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Given the war that airlines have declared on passenger luggage, anything that beats them at their own game is fair play afaic.

+1
__________________
I introduce to you the 2018-2019 NBA champion, Jeremy Lin!
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:37 PM   #115
JPhillips
Head Coach
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Newburgh, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Nobody wants to be on the front page of CNN.com when some conflict with a passenger goes awry.

Somebody will lose their meds when a bag is checked, or their laptop will break, or they'll accuse the attendant of being racist or sexist or that they're punishing them for their Make America Great or Warren 2020 hat.

It's like parking at my college. Nobody in the admin wants to ticket students because they and their parents get pissed, so ticketing rarely happens and parking is mostly a free for all.
__________________
To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.. - Mr. Rogers
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:48 PM   #116
Edward64
Pro Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital View Post
The reclining seat is a pet peeve of mine when I usually am trying to work and it's just a tablet and small keyboard. It's really not necessary and would like to see the industry simply disable to recline.

Sorry I disagree. Its not unusual for me to just crash on a plane and have to recline so my head isn't rolling left-right-forward.

Unless you are in first class, banging on your keyboard can be felt by the person in front of you. And your elbows may be inconveniencing your neighbors.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:57 PM   #117
CraigSca
Pro Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Not Delaware - hurray!
I'm not pounding on a keyboard or anything, but I'm a "do unto others" kind of person, and I HATE when people recline on me.
__________________
She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah!
She loves you, yeah!
how do you know?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:43 AM   #118
Edward64
Pro Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
I'm not pounding on a keyboard or anything, but I'm a "do unto others" kind of person, and I HATE when people recline on me.

If you aren't working on a laptop why is this a problem?

I don't need to recline all the way to stop my head from rolling left-right-front but do need to recline it some to be able to catch a nap.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:51 AM   #119
Capital
High School Varsity
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
If you aren't working on a laptop why is this a problem?

I don't need to recline all the way to stop my head from rolling left-right-front but do need to recline it some to be able to catch a nap.

I'm ok with a small recline but some practically go half way into my space (especially on older planes) making reading a book or difficult.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:50 AM   #120
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Backwoods, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
If you aren't working on a laptop why is this a problem?

I don't need to recline all the way to stop my head from rolling left-right-front but do need to recline it some to be able to catch a nap.

You will just recline on my knees and I will shift them every time I think you might be drifting off...but Im an asshole that way
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:10 PM   #121
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: homeless in NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
You will just recline on my knees and I will shift them every time I think you might be drifting off...but Im an asshole that way

My kids have flown more than most adults and tend to be very well behaved on planes once we plug them in but if you recline in front of them I have no problem letting them bang in to your seat all they want.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:44 PM   #122
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Backwoods, SC
I view seat reclining on an airplane, (that isnt an overnight transatlantic or similar flight) just like cutting grass at 7:00AM Sunday morning.

I certainly recognize your "right" to do so, just hope that you understand everyone else in the neighborhood immediately judges you as an asshole. And I rise at 4:15 AM everyday..
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:02 PM   #123
21C
College Prospect
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Newcastle, Australia
__________________
NFL Stats & Rankings
This Week In Football
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:10 PM   #124
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: homeless in NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post

This is amazing
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:01 AM   #125
BishopMVP
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Concord, MA/UMass
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
I'm not pounding on a keyboard or anything, but I'm a "do unto others" kind of person, and I HATE when people recline on me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
You will just recline on my knees and I will shift them every time I think you might be drifting off...but Im an asshole that way
Does time of flight make a difference to you? I rarely sleep on planes regardless, but if it's a red-eye on either side I'm not mad. If it's a 90 minute flight at 4pm?...
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 AM.



Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.