Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-25-2019, 05:56 AM   #151
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Unrepentant racism in Raleigh.

'I would say it again,' says woman who used racial slur in North Hills restaurant confrontation :: WRAL.com

There are several amazing quotes to cherry-pick, but I am nominating this exchange for the worst...

REPORTER: "Do you see how that's incredibly offensive?"

NANCY GOODMAN: "Yes, I do. That's why I said it."
Old 07-25-2019, 08:12 AM   #152
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Can I hate both sides there? Old racist ladies are bad, but so is the "I'm spending money here, so I can be as loud as I want" crowd. Par for the course that neither side thinks they did anything wrong :/
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:39 AM   #153
Radii
Head Coach

Holy christ.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:31 AM   #154
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Can I hate both sides there? Old racist ladies are bad, but so is the "I'm spending money here, so I can be as loud as I want" crowd. Par for the course that neither side thinks they did anything wrong :/

I guess, but the old white lady brought a nuke to a knife fight.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:28 PM   #155
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I'm with you here. I hate both parties, not equally mind you, racist white bitch is a90 on my hatred scale and loud diners only a 70 but I hate em both.

I do at least tip the cap to the "Yeah I know its offensive thats why I said it" acceptance. I mean if you gonna fight go straight for the kill I suppose.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:03 PM   #156
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I don't know. Loud people can get on my nerves as well, but it's so far from being a racist person that I can't imagine ever using a "both sides" equivalence in such a situation. Even the 90/70 ratio seems ridiculously off the mark.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 02:09 PM   #157
JPhillips
General Manager

The only account I've seen that states they were very loud comes from the white woman, so I'm not sure how reliable that is.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:51 PM   #158
Ben E Lou

Eh, culturally (especially at happy hour,) we tend to be louder, so that's completely believable. But of course that brings up the other issue of minorities having to acquiesce to the norms of the majority culture and all that...
Old 07-26-2019, 03:33 PM   #159
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Oh for sure the unrepentant racist is worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The only account I've seen that states they were very loud comes from the white woman, so I'm not sure how reliable that is.
Between the black women's (pre-slur) defense apparently being "we're paying to be here so we can act however we please" and the restaurant server? manager? saying both sides could've handled themselves differently I'm willing to believe they were the loudest people in there.

Like Ben said there definitely is a cultural difference (and not just black/white, I also see it as a Northerner living in the South now), and idk where you draw the line between forcing people to acquiesce to societal norms of the majority vs just having some respect for other people in public spaces. I took an overnight Greyhound to get back down here to Charlotte and I had one person arguing loudly on her cellphone from about 1-7am, and another playing movies on a laptop at full volume for her kid all night. If people are drinking at happy hour that's not the place I'd take a stand (ok, I wouldn't take a stand about it anywhere, just put on headphones or leave), but there's definitely people who think that spending money at an establishment, whether it's a bar, a bus/plane, a movie theater, whatever, gives them complete license to be as loud as they want. Not solely black people, not most black people, but yeah stereotypes exist for a reason.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 03:40 PM   #160
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I don't know. Loud people can get on my nerves as well, but it's so far from being a racist person that I can't imagine ever using a "both sides" equivalence in such a situation. Even the 90/70 ratio seems ridiculously off the mark.

Exactly. It's kind of justifying using racial slurs for people you find annoying who are that race... and that's horrifying to me.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:03 PM   #161
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Eh, culturally (especially at happy hour,) we tend to be louder, so that's completely believable. But of course that brings up the other issue of minorities having to acquiesce to the norms of the majority culture and all that...

Yeah, I was hanging my argument on the word very. There's a lot of range between too loud and needing a manager to silence them.

Or said another way, I think the "too loud" complaint is an excuse for her racism. If it were a table of Italian-Americans, who can be every bit as loud, I doubt she says anything even if she thinks they are too loud.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:13 PM   #162
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Yeah, I was hanging my argument on the word very. There's a lot of range between too loud and needing a manager to silence them.

Or said another way, I think the "too loud" complaint is an excuse for her racism. If it were a table of Italian-Americans, who can be every bit as loud, I doubt she says anything even if she thinks they are too loud.

I think you under estimate old ladies. You think they only complain about black people?
Old 07-27-2019, 06:31 AM   #163
MIJB#19
Coordinator

"Black people", "Italian-Americans", "Old ladies"

Any group of people can show annoying behavior in the eyes of another person. Regardless of hair color, skin color, color of their cloths, height, age, quantity of jewelry worn, number of testicles, neighborhood they used to live in, their family name, whether they have cats at home or which news paper their grand parents used to wrap around the fish.

Most human beings are struggling with, many are incompetent and some even unwilling to look past what they think they see on the outside. As a result they'll make scientifically unproven or incorrect correlations based on whatever seems to be a trend and then in their head use stereotypes as an excuse to distinguish themselves from the "others" or if it's in their advantage call them "us". (And I'm sure you'll find me doing both as well at times, despite my desire to not do so.)

That "us" part keeps stereotypes alive within groups of people as well. "We've since forever done this or that, it's our thing!" Many groups of people keep their own stereotypes and behavior going, without even knowing why they're doing it, they were (subconsciously) taught to maintain it that way.

I think it's impossible to teach everybody to look past what's on the outside entirely, and I think there can be a historically grown big difference in which stereotypes are sensitive and/or are meant in good fun. But I think it for the better if we at least try and it probably helps a lot to have leaders who make a good example.

Calling people black and white to me is downright wrong, we come in different shades, but none of us are black or white. Our DNA may be in 1s and 0s, but nobody is just a 1 or a 0.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:45 PM   #164
tarcone
Coordinator

This one is really bad

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/25/us/em...ded/index.html

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:49 PM   #165
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

It still surprises me that idiots would post stuff like that on the internet.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:58 PM   #166
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/loc...ght-goes-viral

Quote:
"They should feel threatened by the fact that we going to stop the cash flow going up in there," said Green. "They need to take their shop back to their own neighborhood. If you can't respect us when we allow you to be here and make money off us, take your shop back to where you come from."
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:08 PM   #167
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post

I'm not sure I would call this racism on either side right now. Maybe more "bigotry" than "racism"?
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:49 AM   #168
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I'm not sure I would call this racism on either side right now. Maybe more "bigotry" than "racism"?

So it's not racist to tell somebody to go back where they came from?
Old 08-04-2019, 09:11 AM   #169
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So it's not racist to tell somebody to go back where they came from?

It depends on context and intent. I do think the word "racist" is tossed around way too much.

Is a white supremacist a racist? Yes, it fits the definition below.

Is telling someone to go back where they came from in the heat of the moment (and don't know if there has been a historical pattern with that guy) being a racist? Unknown but would say it better fits under the definition of bigotry/prejudice.

Racism - Wikipedia
Quote:
Racism is the belief in the superiority of one race over another. It may also include prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against other people because they are of a different race or ethnicity, or the belief that members of different races or ethnicities should be treated differently.[1][2][3] Modern variants of racism are often based in social perceptions of biological differences between peoples. These views can take the form of social actions, practices or beliefs, or political systems in which different races are ranked as inherently superior or inferior to each other, based on presumed shared inheritable traits, abilities, or qualities.[2][4][5]
:
:
the meaning of the term racism is often conflated with the terms prejudice, bigotry, and discrimination. Racism is a complex concept that can involve each of those; but it cannot be equated with, nor is it synonymous, with these other terms.

Wikipedia search on Bigotry redirected me to Prejudice.

Prejudice - Wikipedia
Quote:
Prejudice[1] is an affective feeling towards a person or group member based often on that person's group membership (tribal behavior). The word is often used to refer to preconceived, usually unfavourable, feelings towards people or a person because of their political affiliation, sex, gender, beliefs, values, social class, age, disability, religion, sexuality, race/ethnicity, language, nationality, beauty, occupation, education, criminality, sport team affiliation or other personal characteristics. In this case, it refers to a positive or negative evaluation of another person based on that person's perceived group membership.[2]

Prejudice can also refer to unfounded or pigeonholed beliefs[3][4] and it may include "any unreasonable attitude that is unusually resistant to rational influence".[5] Gordon Allport defined prejudice as a "feeling, favorable or unfavorable, toward a person or thing, prior to, or not based on, actual experience".[6] For the evolutionary psychology perspective, see Prejudice from an evolutionary perspective. Auestad (2015) defines prejudice as characterized by 'symbolic transfer', transfer of a value-laden meaning content onto a socially formed category and then on to individuals who are taken to belong to that category, resistance to change, and overgeneralization.[7]

Prejudice can also be classified as a reaction to a race and/or culture based purely on experience.[citation needed]

So I view it as all racists are bigots. Not all bigots are racists.

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-04-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:20 AM   #170
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Telling somebody they shouldn't be here because of their race is pretty f***ing racist and is included in your wikipedia definition if you read on beyond the first sentence.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:23 AM   #171
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Telling somebody they shouldn't be here because of their race is pretty f***ing racist and is included in your wikipedia definition if you read on beyond the first sentence.

Yes, I can see what you mean if you don't take the first sentence in the paragraph as the underlying context for the rest of the paragraph.

Under your definition then, what is the difference between racism and bigotry?
Old 08-04-2019, 09:25 AM   #172
Edward64
Head Coach

Let me toss out the ADL definition.

What is Racism? | ADL
Quote:
Racism is the belief that a particular race is superior or inferior to another, that a person’s social and moral traits are predetermined by his or her inborn biological characteristics. Racial separatism is the belief, most of the time based on racism, that different races should remain segregated and apart from one another.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:25 PM   #173
JPhillips
General Manager

Click through and read this short thread from a GOP state senator in Nebraska. It would be nice if he starts a trend.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:26 AM   #174
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Agreed.

More Rs need to publicly denounce the behavior and separate themselves and isolate the idiots.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:18 PM   #175
Edward64
Head Coach

Holy sh*t, what were they thinking?

Texas police apologise for horseback officers leading black man by rope - BBC News
Quote:
Texas police have apologised after an image of two white officers on horseback leading a handcuffed black man by a rope caused an outcry online.

Galveston Police Chief Vernon Hale said on Monday the technique was acceptable in some scenarios, but that "officers showed poor judgment in this instance".

He said there was no "malicious intent" and has changed department policy to "prevent the use of this technique".

Many people on social media said the photo evoked images of the slavery era.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:43 PM   #176
cuervo72
Head Coach

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...se-suspension/
Old 08-11-2019, 01:42 AM   #177
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
The police officer’s wife, Racheal, told WOOD that she rejected the question of whether her husband was a member of the KKK.

“No, he’s not, no, no,” she said, chuckling. She added: “He can’t say anything right now, I wish we could because it would probably set a lot of things straight.”

I'd love to hear the explanation that would just set everything straight.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:26 PM   #178
cuervo72
Head Coach

Marysville council candidate Jean Cramer stuns with racist comment

Quote:
MARYSVILLE, Mich. – A city council candidate in Marysville stunned an election forum Thursday night with racist comments that she later doubled down on when answering a question about diversity.

Much of the night focused on city development and park improvements, but that thread was momentarily marred with shock following a racist statement from political newcomer Jean Cramer.

“Keep Marysville a white community as much as possible,” said Cramer, one of five candidates vying for three open council seats in November.

Quote:
“As long as, how can I put this? What Kathy Hayman doesn’t know is that her family is in the wrong,” she said. “(A) husband and wife need to be the same race. Same thing with kids. That’s how it’s been from the beginning of, how can I say, when God created the heaven and the earth. He created Adam and Eve at the same time. But as far as me being against blacks, no I’m not.”

Last edited by cuervo72 : 08-23-2019 at 09:27 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:22 AM   #179
Ben E Lou

He said that....out loud....in public.

Old 02-06-2020, 07:46 AM   #180
JPhillips
General Manager

And then he throws up his arms because he's the real victim.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:12 AM   #181
Edward64
Head Coach

I like it

"Why don't you stay in Mexico?"

"Because this is the greatest country in the world". Amen

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-06-2020 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:42 AM   #182
BYU 14
Coordinator

Wow, but good on the crowd for letting him have it and that was an epic response.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:03 AM   #183
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

This is example 1A that this behavior is learned from parents.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:06 AM   #184
miami_fan
Coordinator

You guys will never convince to change his ways by criticizing him for this.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:16 AM   #185
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
You guys will never convince to change his ways by criticizing him for this.

Someone like this is never going to change regardless but if he is publicly shamed perhaps it will help some other parents look internally.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:50 PM   #186
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Someone like this is never going to change regardless but if he is publicly shamed perhaps it will help some other parents look internally.

I direct you to the last 36 hours of the Trump thread for a view of people looking internally and instructions on the proper way to get people to change their minds.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 03:54 PM   #187
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

If this is how you're teaching people not to be racist, you're doing it wrong:

Woman forced to watch 'Roots' to 'understand her racism,' Cedar Rapids police say | The Gazette
Old 02-18-2020, 04:13 PM   #188
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
If this is how you're teaching people not to be racist, you're doing it wrong:

Woman forced to watch 'Roots' to 'understand her racism,' Cedar Rapids police say | The Gazette

And to think Mizzou was just 17 years ahead of its time!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...NDmpsB6eW5uGoU
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:59 PM   #189
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
And to think Mizzou was just 17 years ahead of its time!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...NDmpsB6eW5uGoU

On a side note, looking at other stories who know Cedar Rapids was so violent
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:36 PM   #190
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
On a side note, looking at other stories who know Cedar Rapids was so violent

Yeah I thought the exact same thing!
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:39 PM   #191
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I also wonder how the guy feels like being named "Robert Lee" and why he was named that.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:56 AM   #192
cuervo72
Head Coach

Naval Academy alumni board member accidentally live streams racist rant aboutÂ*Black Lives Matter | Daily Mail Online

"Oops."
Old 07-14-2020, 10:53 AM   #193
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, WaPo so the title isn't going to show.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...mural-florida/

"The KKK is featured in a Florida courthouse mural. Lawyers are demanding its immediate removal."

Quote:
The painting depicts everything from the area’s earliest indigenous tribes to a bloody Civil War battle and the proliferation of turpentine distilleries. Barber wrote a guidebook describing his historical depiction in each of the painting’s 43 panels, archived by the Baker County Historical Society. His entry for the KKK image does not mention anything about the group’s extensive and brutal history of racial terror. It instead describes the KKK as a solution to “lawlessness,” saying in part:

“Lawlessness among ex-slaves and troublesome whites was the rule of the day. No relief was given by the carpetbag and scalawag government or by the Union troops. The result was the emergence of secret societies claiming to bring law and order to the county. One of these groups was the Ku Klux Klan, an organization that sometimes took vigilante justice to extremes but was sometimes the only control the county knew over those outside the law. The Klan faded from view at the end of Reconstruction. It had minor come-backs in the 1920’s and mid 1950’s. Since then it has become the subject of legend rather than a cause of fear.”

Man, that's something right there.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 07-14-2020 at 10:53 AM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:58 AM   #194
Kodos
Resident Alien

Sounds like they are heroes to be admired.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:06 AM   #195
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I'm going to use the term "scalawag" more often.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:50 AM   #196
bob
College Starter

So pretty much the murals in Parks and Rec.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:55 AM   #197
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
So pretty much the murals in Parks and Rec.

Between this and that Florida open forum a few weeks ago, Parks and Rec is more real than we ever could have imagined.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:24 PM   #198
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Yeah, WaPo so the title isn't going to show.

...to a bloody Civil War battle

Anyone want to hear an interesting Civil War story? No, of course not. Anyway, this battle is the Battle of Olustee and it featured the 54th Mass., which is the regiment featured in 'Glory'.

This battle starts when the main Union force advanced from Jacksonville towards Tallahassee. The general of the Union army allowed himself to be drawn into a battle in horrible, swampy terrain. He's not able to attack in force and is getting his ass kicked. This is where he calls in the 54th.

The 54th was something like 3 miles to the rear, being held as reserve. They get called in and double quick it to the battle. By the time they get there, the main force is in bad shape. Some are routing and others are faltering.

The 54th steps in and repulses several Confederate advances. They are then able to fight them back enough where the Union army is able to retreat in some decent order back towards Jacksonville. The Confederates do take this opportunity to kill every wounded black man left on the field. They're bastards, that's what they do.

On the march back, the 54th is pretty much exhausted following the run to battle and the fight. This is when they encounter a broken down train that is carrying wounded men back from the battle. The 54th use some ropes and drag that train like 15 miles back. They did get some assistance from a team of mules about half way back.

This seems like it would have been a cool story for 'Glory' but I'm guessing prevented it from showing up.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 09:36 AM   #199
Edward64
Head Coach

Yup, this is clear-cut racism. I would like to know if he has a history or other social media presence about this. Just reading the article, it sounds like he was trying to have a discussion.

But pretty stupid. I can see being tenured and having this discussion in the appropriate college/graduate level class, but to think it was appropriate in a HS is weird.

White teacher in Texas fired after telling students his race is 'the superior one' | CNN
Quote:
In one video, the teacher can be seen saying to his multi-racial class, “Deep down in my heart, I’m ethnocentric, which means I think my race is the superior one,” as students audibly react both on- and off-camera.

The teacher replies, “Let me finish. I think everybody thinks that. They’re just not honest about it.”

After some other discussion in the video, a student asks, “You said you are a racist, right?”

“I did, yeah, I’m trying to be honest,” the teacher replies.

It is unclear what was discussed before and after the recording of the videos.
Quote:
In the audio, a student asks the teacher to repeat himself. The teacher says, “I said, ‘I am a racist.’ That’s what I said. Do you know what that means?”

Students’ responses overlap, and the teacher continues, “It means that deep down in my heart, I think my race is the superior race. That’s what it means to be a racist.”
Old 11-15-2022, 12:18 PM   #200
Thomkal
Head Coach

No doubt he'll get teacher of the year in Texas. To say that with students of other races right in front of him is just beyond stupid. Even if he didn't believe any of what he just said-its high school not college