Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-14-2021, 09:33 AM   #1101
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Sorry, Sark, you lost to Kansas so you're fired. It's the rules

SI

As long as he continues to snuggle up with the boosters, he should be fine right?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 09:44 AM   #1102
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa replaced their QB last week because of a "shoulder injury" Thank goodness.

Iowa wins 27-22. It was a slog fest with a few big plays. Minny ran the shit out of the ball. But Iowa scored 27 points in 20 minutes of TOP.

We have beaten Minny 7 times in a row and Floyd is starting to feel at home in Iowa City.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 03:47 PM   #1103
Atocep
Coordinator

Jimmy Lake out at UW. Looked like a bad hire at the time and he only lasted 14 games.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 08:44 AM   #1104
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yeesh

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 10:35 AM   #1105
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Yeesh

But there's probably more to this story that meets the eye.

FIU Football: Butch Davis is telling the truth — and the truth hurts - Underdog Dynasty

To my surprise, that article (posted less than 24 hours ago) is NOT about Davis' allegations today but rather about the issues with his recent recruiting classes.

Quote:
During his postgame press conference following the Old Dominion game, Davis provided an answer that most FIU fans seemed unhappy with, in the aftermath.

“The issues that we have, there’s no fix for, we’re playing 15-18 kids who shouldn’t even be suiting up.”

Why is that the case?
2018 class rated #1 in C-USA ... "Of the 22 enrollees, 10 aren’t on the roster and seven are reserves who have played in 50% or less of snaps this season."

2019 class? "The 2019 class was signed after a program-record nine wins and a Bahamas Bowl victory. That class has fared better, but not by much. Five players (Stone Norton, Nate White, DeShaun Davis, Ni’Kendrick Carter, Kendre Gant) are not on the roster. A sixth, Brian Dillard, did not qualify and is at Division II West Georgia. Gant, Norton and Carter were rated among the top-five signees in that class by 247. Six other signees are reserves who have played in 50% or less of snaps this year.

8 players entered via the transfer portal in 2019 as well ... only 2 of those remain at FIU. Of the six that came & went, only 1 starts at their third destination (Fresno)

'2020’s class has seen three players: Xavier McGriff, Jose Mirabal and Maljon Joor choose to depart, with McGriff and Mirabal being rated among the top-five signees. Texas transfer D’Andre Christmas-Giles arrived but played in only three games before choosing to leave football."

In all, they're playing "guys who shouldn't be suiting up" in large part because 27 players have left in the past three years.

And all of this seems likely to stem from Davis' outrage at the HC job being listed as available by the university before mid-season.
Old 11-15-2021, 11:53 AM   #1106
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Dislocated elbow = the hits just keep on coming for the Longhorns

Steve Sarkisian announces season-ending injury for Texas star RB Bijan Robinson
Old 11-15-2021, 12:02 PM   #1107
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Dislocated elbow = the hits just keep on coming for the Longhorns

Steve Sarkisian announces season-ending injury for Texas star RB Bijan Robinson

That really sucks. But I guess be thankful it is not a leg injury because he is a ton of fun to watch.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 12:05 PM   #1108
RainMaker
General Manager

Can't think of too many coaches who have had as hard a fall as Davis. Lost 16 of his last 17 games.
Old 11-15-2021, 12:28 PM   #1109
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I like it for my Huskies

Quote:
BYU’s Kalani Sitake has done an excellent job in Provo, Utah. The 46-year-old knows the Pac-12 well from a decade at Utah and some time at Oregon State. Sitake’s teams are physical, tough and smart, and he’s got very strong West Coast recruiting ties. Sitake is 19-3 in the past two seasons and 4-0 against Pac-12 teams this season.

Last edited by Lathum : 11-15-2021 at 12:28 PM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 12:35 PM   #1110
BYU 14
Coordinator

That might of been a long shot before the BYU big 12 invite, but I can say with a fair amount of certainty there is no chance of that now.

Coach has developed something special there, both culture and on the field, bigger recruits are now committing/flipping or considering coming to Provo now and KS absolutely lives and breathes BYU football.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 05:32 PM   #1111
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

New AD will now almost certainly be selecting the new HC

CFB hot seat watch: Miami parts with AD
Old 11-15-2021, 05:45 PM   #1112
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
That might of been a long shot before the BYU big 12 invite, but I can say with a fair amount of certainty there is no chance of that now.

Coach has developed something special there, both culture and on the field, bigger recruits are now committing/flipping or considering coming to Provo now and KS absolutely lives and breathes BYU football.

I don't know what the pay difference would be but BYU seems like a better job than Washington at the moment. USC is another story.
Old 11-15-2021, 11:12 PM   #1113
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I don't know what the pay difference would be but BYU seems like a better job than Washington at the moment. USC is another story.

Both jobs are better, but BYU is humming at the moment.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 08:15 AM   #1114
bronconick
College Starter

Fuente fired at Virginia Tech
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 08:28 AM   #1115
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Fuente fired at Virginia Tech

Mullen's landing spot perhaps?
Old 11-16-2021, 03:17 PM   #1116
Swaggs
Coordinator

It doesn't seem like the list of "up and coming" coaching candidates is as strong this season, as in season's past. It seems like Jamey Chadwell and Billy Napier make some sense with some of these openings, but it feels like Virginia Tech (and even more so LSU and USC should be able to do better).

It will be interesting to see if anyone gives Gary Patterson a look (or if he is even interested in getting back into it this soon). I'm not so sure he's built for the modern world of dealing with the transfer portal or NLI's, but I feel like I'd trust him a lot more than some of the names I'm seeing thrown around for these jobs (Sonny Dykes, BOB, Freeze).

Maybe this will be the year that Fickell jumps, but he sure seems to have things running well to do it now (very similar to Sitake). I feel like he could hold out for the next big midwestern job that opens and have it be a better fit (maybe PSU opens this year or Notre Dame or Ohio State in the next few).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 03:38 PM   #1117
Swaggs
Coordinator

I know I'm way more into the coaching carousel than most, but I wonder if Doug Pederson might get a look somewhere. He coached high school and went to college in Louisiana and was born and raised in Washington. He's only 53 and Super Bowl winning head coach. Might be a little outside-the-box for either LSU or Washington.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 05:49 PM   #1118
tarcone
Coordinator

It seems to me that pro HCs struggle in college.

Old 11-16-2021, 07:11 PM   #1119
Edward64
Head Coach

Hogs went from #25 to #21 in the CFP rankings after beating LSU. Hopefully they won't lose too badly to AL next week but either way, if they win our last game with Mizzou, they should end regular season in the top 25.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 05:49 PM   #1120
RainMaker
General Manager

This seems like an odd move if it happens. Would imagine the SEC has deeper pockets to pay a head coach. But Miami likely provides a more realistic path to competing for a national title than Ole Miss does.

Old 11-17-2021, 05:55 PM   #1121
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

He could do a "great job" at Ole Miss and never win the SEC West, much less a title. The question is can anyone really make Miami a contender again?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 06:00 PM   #1122
RainMaker
General Manager

Fertile recruiting and a really nice location help. Most importantly, playing in a bad conference that is still for some reason treated with respect by the committee.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:10 PM   #1123
GrantDawg

I hear that Rainmaker, but then I see where they are. And were FSU is. Heck, and were UF is. What is going on in the state of Florida? It is one of the best, if not the best, states for producing talent. Of those three, Miami has had the longest stay at the bottom. Is it facilities? Campus size? I have heard several reasons, but there does seem to be something holding the Hurricanes down.

Old 11-17-2021, 06:10 PM   #1124
miami_fan
Coordinator

From the article

Quote:
"I texted my best Miami source, or certainly the most interesting Miami source, in Nevin Shapiro

This led me back to the wiki article about the 2011 scandal and whew we were so innocent in our anger back then.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-17-2021, 07:55 PM   #1125
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

From what little I've read, the administration at Miami U hasn't made the football program a big priority for a while. It might just be that simple, as you really need all your ducks in a row so to speak for high-level competition. Or there might be more to it *shrug*
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:10 PM   #1126
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I hear that Rainmaker, but then I see where they are. And were FSU is. Heck, and were UF is. What is going on in the state of Florida? It is one of the best, if not the best, states for producing talent. Of those three, Miami has had the longest stay at the bottom. Is it facilities? Campus size? I have heard several reasons, but there does seem to be something holding the Hurricanes down.

Facilities are bad to mediocre and their donor base pales in comparison to UF and FSU. FSU is down because of poor coaching hires and Miami has their share of bad coaches, but they also haven't been able to afford better coaches. Miami is still capable of some great years simply because of the amount of talent in the area, but I don't see them becoming the 80's and 90's Miami again and I've been saying that for years.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:58 PM   #1127
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Plenty of talent. It's coaching.

What Petrino was able to do with Arkansas talent (that's always been the excuse for not being more competitive) tells me its coaching first, above all else.

Talent and stars definitely plays a role but more coaching.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:02 PM   #1128
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

How much time do you have?

The simple answer is that the school administration has made the call that they are less interested in having a successful athletic department than other schools are. It is not just the football team, check out what has happened to the baseball and basketball teams on the men's side and all the women's sports. They would prefer to be known for their medical and business schools. Fair enough but all of its branding and advertising is based on the football program.

I think they are terrified of having the athletic department in general and the football program specifically be the face of the university. Until very recently, the university has shown a lack of investment in its facilities. Miami was the last team in the ACC to have an indoor football facility. They just started a fund dedicated to upgrading all of the athletic facilities this year. All of which is much harder because they are playing home games 45 minutes to an hour drive away from campus. They also have been cheap when it come to coaching. Manny Diaz is reportedly being paid $3.1 million annually and no head coach has ever been paid more than $4 million. If that is your price range, you can't miss on 3 of your last four hires since 2007.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:17 PM   #1129
tarcone
Coordinator

You need a coach that can develop talent if you cant recruit it. See Iowa and there pipeline to the NFL with 2 and 3 star players.
OR
You recruit a bunch of 5 star kids and coach them to wins.

Old 11-17-2021, 09:39 PM   #1130
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Miami has an awfully small enrollment to play with the big boys of college football.
Old 11-17-2021, 11:38 PM   #1131
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Detroit Free Press is reporting Michigan State will offer Mel Tucker a $95 million, 10-year extension. That's a lot of cashola. Suffice to say they're all-in on Tucker and want to keep him around.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 05:47 AM   #1132
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Miami has an awfully small enrollment to play with the big boys of college football.

Enrollment and a small alumni base are limiting factors for the program. There is no doubt about that. The question of competing and who with is more interesting to me.

There is a very loud segment of the Hurricane fanbase who believe that the program can get back to where it was from 1983 to the mid 90's. Those people are delusional. I would say that 99% of the programs in America are not never getting to those heights again. They are not battling with the Alabamas, LSUs, Texas's, and Ohio States of the world if those programs have competent leadership. They can not compete with them.

I think they can be the program they were under Butch Davis and early Larry Coker once they got past the Pell Grant punishments. They should still be able to keep some of their top local talent at home. I am sure it is like this everywhere but everything I read about high school football talent in South Florida says it would not take a lot to keep them at home. At a minimum, they should be able to be consistent title contenders in the Coastal division of the freaking ACC. Mark Richt got the team to #2 in the nation 4 years ago in spite of the administration.
Old 11-18-2021, 06:12 AM   #1133
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Detroit Free Press is reporting Michigan State will offer Mel Tucker a $95 million, 10-year extension. That's a lot of cashola. Suffice to say they're all-in on Tucker and want to keep him around.
It really is. I get why as well, because he has done a great job in a short amount of time. They also know if they hadn't, he would have gotten a bigger job offer. It is still a tremendous risk. He is far from a completely proven commodity yet. We have seen coaches that do well early, but once they get to the 4-5 season with only their recruits, they flounder. I am absolutely not saying this will happen, but if he goes 3 wins season 4 or 5, that is a big contract to buy out.
Old 11-18-2021, 06:36 AM   #1134
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

If you are a Michigan State level school, you have to overpay/take risks. There's enough schools above you in the pecking order that you have to offer something more to keep/attract the best coaching talent.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 12:13 PM   #1135
bob
College Starter

Maybe too much focus on contract and not enough on football for MSU this week.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 12:24 PM   #1136
tarcone
Coordinator

Wow. If tOSU played Oregon today, tOSU would win by 35.

Old 11-20-2021, 12:25 PM   #1137
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Maybe too much focus on contract and not enough on football for MSU this week.

Or maybe MSU hadn't really played but one team particularly worth a damn all season and Sparty overreacted and overvalued their HC.

It happens.
Old 11-20-2021, 12:26 PM   #1138
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
If you are a Michigan State level school, you have to overpay/take risks. There's enough schools above you in the pecking order that you have to offer something more to keep/attract the best coaching talent.

Iowa has hd 2 coaches in 42 seasons. Isnt that just crazy in todays world.

Old 11-20-2021, 12:28 PM   #1139
tarcone
Coordinator

If Tucker can develop players it will be a great contract in 7 years when 30 other teams are paying more

Old 11-20-2021, 12:30 PM   #1140
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
If Tucker can develop players it will be a great contract in 7 years when 30 other teams are paying more

Good luck with that.
Old 11-20-2021, 12:45 PM   #1141
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Good luck with that.

Did it at Iowa. Ferentz got a sweet 10 year deal. He was one of the highest paid coaches in football. Pissed me off. Now it is an average contract. And he last extension wasnt a huge contract, because of loyalty.

Old 11-20-2021, 12:45 PM   #1142
cuervo72
Head Coach

Well, I feel a little better about Purdue's performance last week now.

(Not thrilled about their performance so far today so far.)
Old 11-20-2021, 12:48 PM   #1143
bronconick
College Starter

29-31, 393 yds, 6tds for Straud
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 12:51 PM   #1144
Edward64
Head Coach

A good smack down once in a while is good. Builds character and humility
Old 11-20-2021, 12:52 PM   #1145
tarcone
Coordinator

6 TDs in first 6 drives in b2b weeks

Old 11-20-2021, 12:53 PM   #1146
cuervo72
Head Coach

Oh, and this Wrigley field is crap.
Old 11-20-2021, 12:55 PM   #1147
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Did it at Iowa. Ferentz got a sweet 10 year deal. He was one of the highest paid coaches in football. Pissed me off. Now it is an average contract. And he last extension wasnt a huge contract, because of loyalty.

I guess it comes down to how much is it worth to have a major bowl 1-2 a decade, and a conference title every 10-15 years.
Old 11-20-2021, 12:58 PM   #1148
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I guess it comes down to how much is it worth to have a major bowl 1-2 a decade, and a conference title every 10-15 years.

See this kind of thinking is why we have these damn playoffs Jon! It should not be a bad thing for some program to be in this place.

Just kidding.
Old 11-20-2021, 01:01 PM   #1149
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:

More like 15-20.

KF is a master fund raiser. The donors love him. And Iowa is in a warm weather bowl gme 4out of 5 years. A recipe for success at a MSU or Iowa.

Old 11-20-2021, 01:11 PM   #1150
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
More like 15-20.

KF is a master fund raiser. The donors love him. And Iowa is in a warm weather bowl gme 4out of 5 years. A recipe for success at a MSU or Iowa.

Like I said, comes down to what that's worth to a program.

Not my program, not my money, not my call.