Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-27-2020, 09:42 PM   #851
Danny
Head Coach

Wow I was happy when they took Snell out. He was owning the whole team. He could have gone 8 shutout innings
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:44 PM   #852
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
The Rays are down 3-2. Might have cost them the game but certainly not the world series

When you're down 3-2 and the manager makes a dumbass move to cost you game 6, then yes said dumbass move costs you the WS.

Anderson has allowed at least 1 run in 7 straight postseason appearances. This is the guy brought in for Snell. Idiotic.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:52 PM   #853
Danny
Head Coach

And turner almost had that home run
Old 10-27-2020, 10:00 PM   #854
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Dola
When Snell demands a trade, the Dodgers should listen

Which post-game interview will be more awkward, Cole from 2018 or Snell after tonight?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:18 PM   #855
bhlloy
Coordinator

I would absolutely demand a trade or at least not play for that manager again. What on earth was that.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:31 PM   #856
Ksyrup

Analytics. Avoiding the 3rd time through the lineup.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-27-2020, 10:40 PM   #857
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Happy for Kershaw.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:41 PM   #858
Danny
Head Coach

So happy! Such a great team that deserves a world series
Old 10-27-2020, 10:44 PM   #859
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I was rooting for the Rays, but well done Dodgers
Old 10-27-2020, 10:50 PM   #860
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Apparently Justin Turner had a positive COVID case?
Old 10-27-2020, 10:52 PM   #861
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Apparently Justin Turner had a positive COVID case?

Link please
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:52 PM   #862
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Link please

They just said it on Fox

https://twitter.com/billshaikin/stat...627784192?s=21

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 10-27-2020 at 10:54 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:52 PM   #863
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
So happy! Such a great team that deserves a world series

Great team, great organization, city is lucky to have this moment. Go Dodgers!
Old 10-27-2020, 10:52 PM   #864
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Lol, Manfred getting loudly booed
Old 10-27-2020, 10:55 PM   #865
Danny
Head Coach

His numbers were not as good as some others but I think Mookie is the MVO here unless they give it to Kershaw for sentimental reasons
Old 10-27-2020, 10:55 PM   #866
PilotMan
Head Coach

I cannot express how that feels. It's been so very long. I never thought it would happen again. I sobbed. I can't believe we finally won. FINALLY!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:04 PM   #867
PilotMan
Head Coach

Pretty sure that Rob Manfred is hammered OR he's got a very obvious vocal tic, which he could have.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 10-27-2020 at 11:12 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:08 PM   #868
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Great series. I couldnt be more impressed what the Rays get out of their talent(especially offensively). As was previously mentioned, I dont understand why they took out Snell when they did. Mookie had K'd twice against him and is weaker against left handed pitching. Snell wasnt showing any signs or tiring IMO.

I guess with analytics you live by the sword and you die by the sword. I am sure it was an analytical decision.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:34 PM   #869
MrBug708
Head Coach

Manfred reminds me of a guy who got hammered at the thought of having to postpone game 7
Old 10-28-2020, 12:40 AM   #870
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Ugh. I could have gone the rest of my life without seeing something like this.

Congrats Dodger fans, much as it pains me to say. That's a hell of a team.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:57 AM   #871
spleen1015
Coordinator

I mostly believe in the 'third time through the lineup theory', but you always feel pretty good when a pitcher has been dominating your team and they get taken out. It gives you hope.

The fact that Snell had struck out the first 3 hitters in the Dodgers lineup should have been a clue to leave him in there.

Grats to the Dodgers.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 10-28-2020 at 05:57 AM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:25 AM   #872
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I guess with analytics you live by the sword and you die by the sword. I am sure it was an analytical decision.

This is what I was thinking as well. They did the same thing in both of Charlie Morton's starts in the ALCS. This is who they are.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:22 AM   #873
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I mostly believe in the 'third time through the lineup theory', but you always feel pretty good when a pitcher has been dominating your team and they get taken out. It gives you hope.

The fact that Snell had struck out the first 3 hitters in the Dodgers lineup should have been a clue to leave him in there.

Grats to the Dodgers.

I went through this with our travel softball team, believe it or not. I mostly buy into it too, but our coach is a phD in neuroscience who often over-thought this stuff. Especially when dealing with 15-16 year olds, ya know? And as the dad of a pitcher, this almost always worked against Caitlin - either she'd be cruising and the next girl would blow it, or Caitlin would be the one to come in and not pitch as well as the 1st girl. I came to the opinion that you leave well enough alone when the pitcher is doing well. Anticipating problems based solely on the numbers is a fool's game - especially in MLB when you are expecting 3-4 pitchers to ALL perform like you expect them to. For me, that's just too many variables you have no control over, at the expense of being a slave to the numbers.

And in this case, top of the order had done nothing against Snell. Again, different story if he got to a part of the lineup that had hit him. He was pitching well enough that he should have at least been given enough rope to pitch through it until he got into real trouble.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:38 AM   #874
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

While I personally wouldn't have pulled Snell, I think people are being pretty results oriented. Had the bullpen dome it's job people would have been talking about how the analytics worked.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:51 AM   #875
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

So why wasn't Turner pulled way earlier in the game and why was he celebrating with the team?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:53 AM   #876
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
While I personally wouldn't have pulled Snell, I think people are being pretty results oriented. Had the bullpen dome it's job people would have been talking about how the analytics worked.

Not true. That move was being "second-guessed" during the commercial break. It might have worked, but that doesn't mean it was a good move.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:54 AM   #877
JPhillips
General Manager

The problem with Snell is that multiple times this postseason he was dominant and then all of the sudden started to fall apart, including his last start against the Dodgers. In that game he went 4.2 with nine Ks and no runs, then he gave up BB, HR, BB, 1B, and got pulled.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:54 AM   #878
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
So why wasn't Turner pulled way earlier in the game and why was he celebrating with the team?

He had an inconclusive test prior to the game, from what I read. That's supposed to be treated like a presumptive positive. Better question is why was he playing at all.

I mean, we know WHY, but it will be interesting to see MLB twist themselves into pretzels and/or blame Turner for a break in protocol. Which takes us full circle back to the Marlins' Covid outbreak where they let the players decide to play instead of follow protocol.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-28-2020 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:58 AM   #879
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Rosenthal says they got the results from yesterday's test in the 2nd inning and it was positive.

Old 10-28-2020, 07:59 AM   #880
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The problem with Snell is that multiple times this postseason he was dominant and then all of the sudden started to fall apart, including his last start against the Dodgers. In that game he went 4.2 with nine Ks and no runs, then he gave up BB, HR, BB, 1B, and got pulled.

Fair point, except (a) all he gave up was a single and (b) they brought in a pitcher who had given up a run in 6 straight games. So if past performance dictated removing Snell, it sure as hell didn't dictate bringing in Anderson.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-28-2020 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:01 AM   #881
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

And, apparently went back out on the field to celebrate with the team after the positive test and takes off his mask for the team picture

Justin Turner exits Dodgers' World Series-clinching win after positive COVID-19 test; celebrates on field - CBSSports.com

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:02 AM   #882
Ksyrup

Quote:
Rosenthal says they got the results from yesterday's test in the 2nd inning and it was positive.

Now the story is it was inconclusive, but results didn't come until the 2nd inning (from a test the day before - huh?). They ran Tuesday's sample immediately and got the positive and pulled him.

How do you not have results from a test the day before? I thought they were testing the day of, this was a day late AND after the next day's game started.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-28-2020 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:13 AM   #883
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:

He's shouldn't have been pulled then either. The walk preceding the HR, he was screwed by a bad umpire.

Also, the 2 hits were the only 2 balls that had left the infield last night.

Oh well. It's NFL season now.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:28 AM   #884
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Fair point, except (a) all he gave up was a single and (b) they brought in a pitcher who had given up a run in 6 straight games. So if past performance dictated removing Snell, it sure as hell didn't dictate bringing in Anderson.

I'm not sure it was the right decision, but I recognize it was made with his past playoff performances in mind. More than once this postseason he was cruising and then started to fall apart very quickly. I'm sure the idea was to get him out at the first sign of trouble to avoid what had happened before.

It just didn't work.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:40 AM   #885
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

He also hadn't pitched 6 innings all year and it was about to be the third time around the bullpen. That was less of an issue than WHO he brought in.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:02 PM   #886
MrBug708
Head Coach

Turner is going to be hit with a fine and a suspension. It was probably worth it in his mind, so hopefully nothing serious comes from this.

MLB to investigate Justin Turner over World Series celebration
Old 10-28-2020, 03:06 PM   #887
Ksyrup

Predictably, they are focusing on the celebration and not on why the test came back so late and he was allowed to play at all, or why he wasn't pulled in the 2nd inning because an inconclusive test is a presumptive positive under the protocol.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:08 PM   #888
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

It's a fitting conclusion to the first CBL season and Covid World Series.

Old 10-28-2020, 03:31 PM   #889
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It's going to be great when Manfred declares it to be a forfeit due to violation of COVID protocols and orders a Game 7 to be played .
Old 10-28-2020, 03:54 PM   #890
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Turner is going to be hit with a fine and a suspension. It was probably worth it in his mind, so hopefully nothing serious comes from this.

When the game ended, the season ended. Not unreasonable to figure that so did MLB's protocol.

This is one time when I hope the union tells the league to go fuck themselves
Old 10-28-2020, 03:59 PM   #891
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

MLB's hands were tied and once Turner stepped on the field there was nothing they could reasonably do. They couldn't postpone the game 14 days while everyone quarantines and they couldn't play the game tomorrow and isolate the 20 guys on each side who will now test positive because of that jackass Turner. No-win situation for almost everyone involved, the Dodgers played it perfectly.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 04:04 PM   #892
spleen1015
Coordinator

Celebrating with your teammates is totally worth giving your cancer surviving manager COVID.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:22 PM   #893
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
When the game ended, the season ended. Not unreasonable to figure that so did MLB's protocol.

This is one time when I hope the union tells the league to go fuck themselves

Nothing you have typed in the five years of Rob Manfred's tenure expresses your dislike for the man quite like this support for union action.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:38 PM   #894
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
MLB's hands were tied and once Turner stepped on the field there was nothing they could reasonably do. They couldn't postpone the game 14 days while everyone quarantines and they couldn't play the game tomorrow and isolate the 20 guys on each side who will now test positive because of that jackass Turner. No-win situation for almost everyone involved, the Dodgers played it perfectly.

Speaing neutrally and not as a dodgers fan who is thrilled to win the world series. Turner made a poor and selfish decision but this is on baseball. He should have been pulled and removed from the stadium when the inconclusive test came back. Very poorly handed by MLB who is now trying to deflect it on Turner (who had already played 7 innings closely to teammates evne if he never stepped back on the field.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:43 PM   #895
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Speaing neutrally and not as a dodgers fan who is thrilled to win the world series. Turner made a poor and selfish decision but this is on baseball. He should have been pulled and removed from the stadium when the inconclusive test came back. Very poorly handed by MLB who is now trying to deflect it on Turner (who had already played 7 innings closely to teammates evne if he never stepped back on the field.

Speaking not at all neutrally as a Dodgers hater, I think the onus should absolutely be on MLB about why the game went on before test results were in. The stories I've read mention that an inconclusive result is not uncommon with MLB's protocol, and standard practice is to just expedite the next test, so that's not necessarily an unexpected/bad outcome. But for Turner to be active and playing without a negative test seems exceedingly irresponsible.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:51 PM   #896
Danny
Head Coach

Looks like all other dodgers tested negative today and were allowed to return home. Good for them and their families
Old 10-28-2020, 11:10 PM   #897
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Nothing you have typed in the five years of Rob Manfred's tenure expresses your dislike for the man quite like this support for union action.

Now that you mention it, he is pretty much on the same level of contempt I have for Todd Howard.
Old 10-29-2020, 01:08 PM   #898
Ksyrup

Jeez, Tony La Russa just won't go away.

I made a joke on either FB or Twitter the other day about how La Russa even thinks managers these day over-manage... and now he's going to prove me 100% wrong. La Russa's back to out-La Russa all of you, baby!

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-29-2020 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-29-2020, 06:42 PM   #899
Ksyrup

HA!

Old 10-29-2020, 11:07 PM   #900
stevew
Hall Of Famer

What happens if the manager dies in the middle of the season. Does the bench coach get elevated or is it the pitching coach?

(hiring LaRussa is a braindead move)
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote