Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #51
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Free Run

I took a break from the zombies for the Sunday morning run. I mapped out the course where I will be running my first 5K in June and decided to give it a trial run. It's a very flat route, around the local park, out to the creek for 3/4 mile and back, and finish back at the park.

Without the 5K training app, I was free to run my own pace and not have to worry about run/walk intervals. Still took walking breaks whenever my body begged for them, but at the end of my run, past the 5K mark, I continued on for another 1/4 mile and I felt much stronger and faster. I probably could have gone a little further but I reached my wife and daughter playing in the playground and they were ready to go home by then.

I made a new PR on a 5K distance with a 50:33 time.

Strava Stats:
5/5: 3.4mi - 55:22min - 16:08/mi

I have completed the "Run 10 miles in a week (Mo-Su)" achievement with a total of 12.9 miles.

One final note: Because my RunKeeper .gpx file does wonky things when importing to Strava, I decided to ditch RunKeeper and use the Strava app to record my run. Because of this, I'm also freezing my GymPact account.

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 05-06-2013 at 12:01 PM.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:26 PM   #52
AnalBumCover
College Starter

ZR5K: Week 4, Workout 1

This was a tough day. I'll explain below after going in-character for Zombies, Run!.
Today's workout was quite different from those of the previous weeks. There seems to be a bit more walking in this one. But it does conclude with a long, 15 minute free form run.

Sam is back from suffering from depression due to the death of the prior Runner 5. He had been in the hospital for the past few weeks. I'm also joined by Runner 4 and we ran inside Abel on this run.

5 min walking
5 min running
---
10 sec knee lifts
1 min slow walk
1 min fast walk
(repeat 5 times)
---
1 min walking
30 sec running
(repeat 5 times)
---
15 min free form run

Following this workout I was given a Runner 5 t-shirt. I suppose this is for easy identification on the base cameras.

Story: Sam returns to the comms shack for your fourth week of training

"Sam seems a bit better, and the runners with pneumonia are also improving. The workouts are getting more challenging - 15 minute free-form run today."
As I said, this was a tough workout for me. I was not in the right frame of mind when I started. And it made me curse every little thing that happened during my run.

All morning long, I was looking forward to this run. It was a new week, a new set of workouts, and I would be putting in my miles for May Massive. But when I was coming home from work, I was delayed by a major traffic accident on the freeway. Keep in mind, I give myself about an hour to run before I have to pick up my daughter from day care, so every minute counts when I run. Of course, being only a few minutes late from picking her up will not hurt, but I ignored that fact and cursed the traffic.

I started off my run too quickly, trying to "catch up" due to starting late. This resulted in not properly warming up, and I would suffer later on. I figured, the walking segments of my workout will help in warming up. Nope.

Moving along the Coyote Creek, I spotted a couple of Doberman Pinschers roaming freely along the bottom. Great. I'm running alone along the creek, and there's really no exit except at the street crossings which were 1/4 mile each direction. I fear the dogs spotting me and approaching. There's no way I'd outrun them. These were not slow walking zombies. I do find the dogs' owner nearby, and seeing the dogs playfully jumping into the water, I feel more at ease. But it still disrupted my workout, and I cursed the dogs.

I decided to take a different, unknown, route this time. There was a part of this route where the street crosses the creek, but also narrows and the sidewalk on my side ends. I had to cross a busy street, and there is no crosswalk nearby. At this point, the workout called for 1 minute walking and 30 seconds of running. I missed two of these segments standing around waiting for traffic to ease. I cursed my route.

Finally the last 15 minute free form run came. I was ill-prepared for the final run, and my legs were screaming for me to slow down every 10-20 steps. The sun was beating down on my freshly buzzcut head. The headwind was pushing back at me. My bottle of water was down to its last few sips.

I cursed every little obstacle. Every freaking step.

But then I finished.

Strava Stats:
5/7: 3.3mi - 56:36min - 17:02/mi

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 05-08-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #53
AnalBumCover
College Starter

ZR5K: Week 4, Workout 2

It was a cloudy afternoon. Low-mid 70s.
Sam will join me on my run today, giving me my workout instructions.

5 min walking
5 min running
---
10 sec knee lifts
1 min slow walk
1 min fast walk
(repeat 5 times)
---
1 min walking
30 sec running
(repeat 5 times)
---
15 min free form run

During our run, Sam confides in me that the prior Runner 5, Alice, had been searching for her missing sister before she died. Sam wants to continue the search, asking me to visit nearby settlements for clues.

Story: Sam joins you for a chat while you train.

"Sam needs my help. Which is cool. But if he thinks the knee-lifts are so damn funny he can go and run away from zombies himself."
What a difference a day makes. Last Tuesday I was miserable throughout my entire workout. Today I felt great.

For the first time I was not concentrating on the task at hand. I was not wondering when my next walking break was. For the first time I opened my eyes and noticed my surroundings. I saw new things around me and I just took in the scenery.

I got a PR on a mile distance. I got a PR on the "Balls to Lincoln" segment. The end of the route didn't seem like it was stretching further away with every step.

This must be what it's like to fall in love with running.

Strava Stats:
5/9: 3.3mi - 54:36min - 16:23/mi

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 05-09-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #54
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I seem to remember the week 4 was the worst week for me when I did Couch to 5k. I'm not sure if the zombie c25k is similar, but there was a huge ramp up in how long you had to run without stopping and it was pretty tough for me the first two-three times. I ended up doing that week over again just to feel comfortable with it.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #55
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Actually ZR5K is very different from C25K.

ZR5K incorporates a short set of leg exercises with run/walk drills, followed by an extended "free-form run" in the end in which the instructor tells you to run, but allows you to slow to a walk as necessary. By week 4, however, the instructer encourages you to "push yourself a little this time" while still saying to slow down if you need to. As the weeks pass, the free-form runs get a little bit longer.

C25K is strictly Run/Walk drills, with the Run segments getting longer each week. It's easy to see why people feel the need to rerun some weeks because it creates some sort of pass/fail mentality if they can't run during the run segments.

I've put together a pdf of the ZR5K workouts if anyone wishes to use it without having to use the app. But just know the app is more than half the experience. I definitely recommend buying it if you were going to do this workout. Download

And for comparison, here's the link to the C25K workout schedule.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:51 PM   #56
AnalBumCover
College Starter

ZR5K: Week 4, Workout 3

Went out for a Saturday evening run out to and around the park and back.
I was sent out for an emergency task for this workout. Runner 6 is injured in the field and my job was to go out and distract three zombies away from the injured runner.

Doctor Myers will instruct me on the comm.

5 min walking
5 min running
---
10 sec knee lifts
1 min slow walk
1 min fast walk
(repeat 5 times)
---
1 min walking
30 sec running
(repeat 5 times)
---
15 min free form run

Once I reached the zombies, they had little interest in me. I slowly approached them and did my knee lifts (we learned previously the knee lifts drive the zombies crazy). Several attempts at this, and I finally attracted the zombies and lured them away.

Following this rescue mission, I was given a Red Scarf, a symbol of a Runner who has saved another's life.

Story: Doctor Myers needs your help - Runner Six has been injured!

"Saved Runner Six's life today."
With the end of the Week 4 workouts in the books, this marks the halfway point in my 5K training!

It was a beautiful evening at the park, and as the sun began setting, there were still many people out enjoying a Mother's Day BBQ.

I tried to maintain a steady run during my last 15 minute free-form run, but I only lasted 5 minutes, and I finished the rest with run/walks. I hope to extend this time in the remaining weeks.

Strava Stats:
5/11: 3.4mi - 56:14min - 16:24/mi
Old 05-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #57
AnalBumCover
College Starter

ZR5K: Week 5, Workout 1

With the heat wave coming, I've moved my running sessions to the evening time after putting my daughter to bed.
Doc Myers joined me on today's run. We're remaining inside Abel Township so no danger of zombies today.

5 min walking
5 min free-form run
---
30 sec walk
1 min slow run
6 heel lifts
(repeat 8 times)
---
10 min free-form run
5 min stretching
10 min free-form run

Midway through our run we were joined by Janine. She was quite interested in what Sam was planning on doing regarding the nearby settlements and that she had some information that Sam might need. Doc was hesitant in disclosing anything to Janine, but ensured that Sam would be grateful for the help.

After the run, Janine rewarded me with a bar of soap.

Story: Take on the first session in the second half of your training schedule.

"An offer of help from Janine today. Seems like she cares about Sam more than she lets on."
The start of the second half of my 5K training ended on a sour note. At the closing stretch of this run, I suffered what I later learned to be Runner's Knee. I just couldn't put any more high impact on my left leg, so I just walked the remaining distance.

When I got home, I immediately put on a cold pack and a knee strap. Luckily I had one from back in my more active, basketball playing days.

Anyways, I'll be taking some time off from running and will be looking for alternative forms of exercise. Unfortunately I don't have access to a swimming pool or a bicycle. When I return, I'll have to cut down on my mileage and ease myself back to form and to not overwork the knee. It's a shame too - I was on track to hit the 80K May Massive badge by the end of the month.

I did 4 miles on this run, but I'm not sure whether I should count this toward my list of achievements.

Strava Stats:
5/14: 4.0mi - 1:11:22 - 17:38/mi
Old 05-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #58
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Sorry to hear about your knee. Hope you get feeling better soon!

Old 05-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #59
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Thanks. Now I know the importance of the various leg strengthening exercises, like squats and lunges. Definitely going to start incorporating those into my workouts.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #60
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
Thanks. Now I know the importance of the various leg strengthening exercises, like squats and lunges. Definitely going to start incorporating those into my workouts.

Yes, I constantly am slacking on doing those and my ITB pains continuously remind me why slacking on them is a bad idea. Definitely the area that I need to work the most on myself.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #61
AnalBumCover
College Starter

So almost one week after injuring my knee during a run, I decided to go out last night for a "feeler" run to test out the knee. I could put full weight on it while walking, but not much of high impact activity.

I went out with low impact (one foot on the ground at all times) and a very slow pace (19:00 min/mi), and just paid attention to my knee. It still felt a little tender, but no pain. But being afraid the knee could give out at any time, I've decided to give it another week for a full recovery.

Strava Stats:
5/21: 1.5mi - 28:05min - 19:03/mi

I did accomplish a couple of achievements with this short run:

I ran 25 miles in a month.

I completed 40K in the Strava May Massive Challenge.

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 05-21-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #62
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I haven't posted on this thread in a while since most of you are already following me on Strava. Since my last post I've been steadily progressing in my training. I've made a few achievements along the way and have updated the first post of this thread.

Now that the 8-week training program has completed I can confidently say that I can run a 5K without stopping. Up next I will be focusing on building my base and slowly increasing my mileage over the next several months. My goal is to increase to 20 miles per week by the end of the year.

Last weekend (June 22) I ran my first 5K (without stopping!!!) and wrote about it on reddit.

Quote:
Wow, what a rush! This morning was my final exam after eight weeks (plus two weeks downtime for injury) of training. I was so anxious I woke up a 4am and couldn't go back to sleep.

So I finally got out of bed at 530 and applied the KT tape for my knee and just read for the next hour before I need to dress and head out to the race. My wife and two year old daughter came for support.

At the race, I saw plenty of different types of runners and walkers. Singles, couples, families (even some with jogging strollers), and large costumed groups! The race director reported over 800 registered runners!

It was a really fun atmosphere. I'm glad I didn't turn on my ZR5K app. It would've been too much of a distraction.

So at the beginning I had to maneuver around the other runners and walkers. By the first 1/2 mile the field finally thinned out and I could establish my pace. My app chimed in at the 1/2 mile report with a faster than usual pace. So I slowed down a bit and settled at a comfortable pace.

I could feel some pain in my legs, but nothing was screaming for me to stop, so I kept going. My lungs felt good. Mouth was a bit dry. I kept going.
At the turnaround I knew I was halfway done. At this point I noticed some familiar runners around me. None of us ran in a pack, but I had my eye on one particular man in green shorts who I mentally designated at my main target to pass.

This helped me keep trucking along because every time I saw Man in Green slow to a walk, I knew I was getting closer. Except his runs were a bit faster than my pace. It was a quite a battle in my head. But I maintained pace.

With less than a mile to go I felt really good. My legs warmed up and the pain disappeared. The KT tape kept my knee supported and pain free.

Strangers were cheering me on. And I picked up my pace. My wife and daughter waited for me about 10 meters from the finish line.

Here, I must confess. I lied. I did STOP right before I completed the 5k. I stopped to give my daughter a hug and kiss, then I walked through the finish line with arms up in victory.

The clock at the finish showed 44:05. My Strava app reported 43:47. Official chipped time was 42:59. My goal was to do it in under 45 minutes. I can't be any happier with my results.

Here I am at the finish line. http://imgur.com/Vn669H7

{Edit} I never did pass the Man in Green.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #63
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Awesome job! You should be proud of the hard work that you have done! It only gets easier from here (and more fun!)

Do you have a plan for how you are going to increase your mileage base between now and the end of the year?

Going to run any more races or use anything as motivation in the mean time?

Old 06-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #64
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Awesome job! You should be proud of the hard work that you have done! It only gets easier from here (and more fun!)

Do you have a plan for how you are going to increase your mileage base between now and the end of the year?

Going to run any more races or use anything as motivation in the mean time?

Thanks Alan.

Yeah, I have prepared a spreadsheet scheduling my next phase in my training. Basically it goes as follows:

- For the first couple of months 3-4 runs per week at 3 miles each.
- Slowly incorporate a short 2 mile 5th run.
- Then increase by 0.5-1 mile every 2-3 weeks on my long run day (Saturday)
- Every 4-5 weeks, pare back the mileage and possibly schedule a 5K race during that week.
- My long run will be on average under 30% of the rest of the weeks mileage, and no longer than 35%.

I am going to start this program in late July/early August since I'll be out of the country for most of July. While away I will try to sneak out for a short run, but the high humidity of the Philippines will likely keep me grounded.

My next race will be a nice flat course along the shores of Long Beach in September.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #65
AnalBumCover
College Starter

In the three months since my last post in this thread, I have run a second 5K race, breaking previous PRs in all but one of the distance markers.

The current phase of my training is to build up my weekly mileage to 20. Originally my plan was to reach that goal by the end of the year. Looks like I may reach it about two months sooner than that, by the beginning of November. Right now I'm at 15 miles/week, with my long run at 5.5 miles.

I've got a couple of races in the pipeline, The 'Stache Dash 5K in November, and possibly a Renegade series 10K in December.

Once I reach my 20 mi/wk goal, I'll start my third phase of my training, the half marathon, with a target HM race in February. This race is part of a three-race series (Beach Cities Challenge), where if I complete the three races in succession, I will receive an additional completion medal.

I don't have any time goals for these races, except for maybe my 5K. I'm just looking to complete them and establish a time to beat for any future runs.

I've got a more ambitious goal, with may or may not be realized depending on my training, for the third leg of the Beach Cities Challenge in October 2014, is to run their Full Marathon. If that doesn't pan out, then I'll just run the Half, and still satisfy the challenge requirements.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #66
AnalBumCover
College Starter

On the last night of September I ran 5.3 miles so I can earn two achievements for the month: The 80K strava badge, and 50 miles.

I moved up my recovery week earlier because I had been feeling a bit weak in the legs, but when it came to calculating my mileage for the month, I realized how close I was to these milestones. So I laced up last night and got the necessary miles. Now I can update my OP with these achievements.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #67
Kodos
Resident Alien

Nice job! You're making very good progress.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #68
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
On the last night of September I ran 5.3 miles so I can earn two achievements for the month: The 80K strava badge, and 50 miles.

I moved up my recovery week earlier because I had been feeling a bit weak in the legs, but when it came to calculating my mileage for the month, I realized how close I was to these milestones. So I laced up last night and got the necessary miles. Now I can update my OP with these achievements.

Great job! I thought about doing that myself but realized I had to run 30k on the last day for the last achievement and decided that wasn't going to happen

Old 10-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #69
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

woot woot!
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #70
hoopsguy
General Manager

Great work getting those achievements last month!
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #71
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I just registered for my first half on Feb 2... Super Bowl Sunday.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #72
AnalBumCover
College Starter

My pace is atrocious. A snail's pace. Speed walkers are faster than me (I found this out the hard way at a local track when a speed walker in his 70s was passing me... from the outside lane!). I've plateaued at about 15:00/mi. Any faster, and I'm begging to slow to a walk after a few minutes.

But I'm not one to complain. I love that I am running (yes, running, even at this pace). I know my pace will come with hard work and a long term commitment. I'm up to 15+ miles per week, eventually working my way up to 20 mi/wk by the end of the month and a 10 mile long run by the end of the year.

I've slowly and carefully incorporated track intervals and tempo runs in my workout routines. But the flat lands of my immediate neighborhood can only do so much.

I'm craving a hill.

I asked around for alternatives to hills. Some say stairs. Others say a parking garage tower or a bridge. I've looked. Still, there's nothing close by.

Then I went to Strava.com and went to the new Routes feature and searched the map using the topography/terrain view. Found one! A 1/2 mile piece of road, under the shade of trees and free from heavy traffic.

I went there yesterday and ran hill repeats for the first time. I had no idea what to expect, and I tired out after just two reps. But after looking at the workout report on Strava, I was quite pleased with my results. Next time, I will probably run a shorter portion up the hill, and try to do more reps.

One thing I noticed from this workout... there are a whole new set of muscles that are sore.

I'm so glad I found this hill. Yet another tool to add to my list of workouts. And one day soon, I'll be able to break and maintain sub-14:00/mi.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #73
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

One thing that most people seem to state is until you get past 20-25 miles per week regularly every week, adding in speed work won't be as good of a bang for your buck. Doing intervals and hills and such will help, and can be fun, but until you up your base mileage, there are two proven ways for the quicker improvements:

1) Lose weight
2) Run more miles

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to discourage you from doing the speed work. Just trying to say that in some cases, such as this one might be, running slower but more miles might help more than the speed work right now. The key thing to adding the miles is that you just want to do it responsibly. Don't add too many at once, and make sure to take it easy to keep your energy levels up enough to finish the miles that you want.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #74
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Totally agree. I've been very careful in slowly creeping up my miles each week, maintaining the "10% rule", the long run around 1/3 of my weekly mileage, and paring back every 3rd or 4th week to recover...

But I would prefer to spend one day a week with some sort of workout to give some variety to the otherwise steady runs of the remainder of the week. I think you're right about these workouts being more 'fun' if not a yet a quality speed work tool at this point.