Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

C'mon you Cardinals! (FBCB)

So using one of my saves of my Omnibus NCAA league with all of the divisions, I'm taking over Plattsburgh State of the SUNY Athletic Conference. The team has not made the postseason of any kind since 1944 and we just finished the 1994 season in this league, it's the longest drought in that conference.

My goal is obviously to make the post-season, but I'm going to try to do it through scouting without ratings. I'm going to use stats + national rankings only. I'm also going to attempt to implement some kind of system, even though I realize people have already basically figured out the ways to win with this game, but I'd like to feel like I'm playing with some sense of purpose since in the past I've just sort of monkeyed around with it marginally and little else.

The team's current Prestige rating is a 45. The last winning season was three years ago.

Spoiler

Last edited by Young Drachma : 10-02-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Head Coach is 35-year old Adam Lancaster, whose pro experience is two years as an assistant at Dayton, a program that's higher on the totem pole than Plattsburgh and he's a guy in need of a head coaching job. The hope is his high level experience will help the team break through. But recruiting at this level is not an easy feat. With nearly 1000 teams in this universe, post-season berths are hard to come by for the lowest level programs.

Plus D3 programs were set to have hard academics, so I'll probably have to filter for players who have solid grades, as well as the other things we'll be looking for. I'm just curious if a roster of 1-star talent with good stats out of HS can field a competitive team.

I'll be focusing more on that initially, rather than trying to implement a system of any kind, mostly because I'll want to start by fast-simming after recruiting.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
britrock88
Pro Starter

Did teams' academics category become more than a placeholder at some point?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Did teams' academics category become more than a placeholder at some point?

I always thought they had some nebulous effect, but maybe I was always mistaken. Never had anything to back up my assertion, after all.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
Izulde
Head Coach

I still need to download that Omnibus file. ...I *think* you put it up for download, no?

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #6
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I still need to download that Omnibus file. ...I *think* you put it up for download, no?

FBCB/FBPB3 Mods

Here ya go: alldivisions_ncaa
Old 10-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Since the first year is me recruiting and playing with whoever the team started with, I scheduled the easiest schedule I could muster. I tried to find low-win teams from auto-bid leagues in the hopes that if we could win -- not likely -- that we could steal our way into a D4 (CBI) bid or something like that, but really, I just want to stay afloat and build some momentum into the first year of playing with my own guys.

I will cut any non-red shirts too, because I want to play with my own players.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

With seniors leaving and the players I "dismissed for non-basketball reasons" we will have 9 scholarships for next year. What I'm noticing is a lot of these D3 teams in this omnibus league end up with a lot of walkons because the teams simply go after top players, strike out and then find themselves having to fill with a bunch of non-schollie year after year who they won't cut.

I like it as a sim model, but as a player obviously I'd like to fix it and be more involved. We'll target players who we can get. But I'm not looking at ratings, only at HS stats (post-scouting) and rankings.

As a result, I'll have to stay closer to home for recruiting. I'm normally one of those who likes to go far and wide to find talent, but we simply won't be able to do that with this team because we won't have the resources to spread the field like that.

The other thing is, I will always burn at least one scholarship on a local kid if there is one. It's a ploy most state schools at this level would do. Here's the one local kid from Plattsburgh currently in the DB this off-season.

Spoiler

I can't imagine he'll be especially useful, but...I like this rule anyway.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

With a recruiting pool boasting over 5000 players every year, getting players in the top 5-10% nationally will probably be the target. So we want to get those Top 500 kids to consider us and land Top 1000 kids, because if we're issuing out a scholarship, you want someone who is at least going to be able to boost the program rather than just hoping for magic when they get here.

My other trick is to seek out Mr. Basketballs of small states or all-state players, because I'd suspect that'd indicate they've been vetted by a wider authority who might have some sense of whether they can play or not.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:23 AM   #10
Jeff W
n00b

What kind of system are you planning to use?
Jeff W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #11
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I dunno. I think I want to retrofit this idea a bit...because well I don't have the time to be as detailed and would like to get through more seasons.