Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-29-2009, 05:52 PM   #1101
AlexB
Pro Starter

Interesting insight into another side of Dan Hardy other than the wind-up merchant maybe most UFC fans may assume he is after the Marcus Davis fight...

UFC: Dan Hardy, the intellectual welterweight warrior - Telegraph Blogs

The blog is worth checking out in general as well - as you would expect from a Telegraph source it is a little English fighter focused, escpecially with the MMA sections, but still a good read
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:12 PM   #1102
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

commenting on the last TUF, I truly really thought that the big ass guy on rampage's team got screwed out of a win last weak, gassed or not, he won that fight in my eyes.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:57 PM   #1103
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Fight went pretty much as expected I'd say.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:02 PM   #1104
muns
Pro Starter

That fight was lame as hell
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:03 PM   #1105
PilotMan
Head Coach

And that was? For those of us that didn't see it.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:04 PM   #1106
muns
Pro Starter

Kimbo Slice vs. Roy Nelson on TUF
Old 09-30-2009, 10:06 PM   #1107
PilotMan
Head Coach

No, gimme a fight report, what happened?

Like Steam?

Old 09-30-2009, 10:06 PM   #1108
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
And that was? For those of us that didn't see it.

Nelson put Kimbo in a crucifix and threw some weak punches, like 15 in a row, and Herb Dean stopped it in the 2nd round. He did the same thing in the 1st round but in the 2nd Kimbo hit some big shots, but obviously was exploited on the ground. He looked okay though, all things considered.

Previews seem to indicate he's back next week. I know in one preview for the season it shows him hitting a big Superman punch and I didn't see one thrown in the Nelson fight.

Also, Dana railed on Nelson for acting like he impressed him by doing nothing. He said Roy won by doing enough to not get hit.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:11 PM   #1109
PilotMan
Head Coach

One of Nelson's biggest problems is that he looks like a big tub of shit. And who wants to see a big tub of shit fight like a big tub of shit? Skilled shit, but still a tub of skilled shit.

Like Steam?

Old 09-30-2009, 10:14 PM   #1110
DeToxRox
Head Coach

What irks me most about TUF so far is the lack of Wes Simms. Dude is hilarious.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:15 PM   #1111
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
One of Nelson's biggest problems is that he looks like a big tub of shit. And who wants to see a big tub of shit fight like a big tub of shit? Skilled shit, but still a tub of skilled shit.

well put, because he just seemed to lay on kimbos head and won the fight. Granted Kimbo didnt exactly do anything to get him off, it was just a bad fight IMO.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:21 PM   #1112
Flasch186
Coordinator

If Roy got more Southern Charactery with talent, think Heath Herring, perhaps he could garner some of that support to embrace the look as opposed to laughing at it.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:46 PM   #1113
Schmidty
Coordinator

That stoppage was bullshit,

I like Kimbo because he seems like a really good guy who is humble and wants to get better. Hopefully he gets another chance.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:55 PM   #1114
JS19
College Prospect

Kimbo definitely seems like a legit kind of guy. Dana said it best, he still has an opportunity, and he's given the opportunity to sit back, train, and learn as much as he can to develop his skills.

The fight was lame, but I was none too impressed with the big boys performance. Obviously, he exploited Kimbo's lack of ground skill, I'm thinking if he tries that crucifix gig on a more experienced ground fighter, I'm guessing it won't work out all too well.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:58 PM   #1115
Schmidty
Coordinator

That fat fuck is a piece of shit, and I hope he gets his arm broken or something.

Harsh? I don't care. I'm grumpy.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:10 AM   #1116
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I wanted Kimbo to pull through too, but he was doing absolutely NOTHING under there. I honestly felt like it could have been stopped before the bell in the first round. Kimbo wasn't really getting hurt but he wasn't showing anything.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:34 AM   #1117
Ramzavail
College Starter

Right, I was surprised Kimbo couldn't squirm out of that, but I guess a big fat belly on your face is hard to squirm out of. Crap fight and I thought I saw Roy talking shit afterwards, I don't know why.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:01 AM   #1118
Calis
College Starter

Quote:

This is pretty much dead-on. If Nelson had a physique more fitting of the Typical UFC HW he wouldn't even be on TUF. He has the pedigree to skip that and go straight in otherwise.

Terrible fight all around though. You could tell Nelson was holding back. I think he was being extra careful not to injure himself and just take it easy in general. It worked but sure as hell didn't build him up any.

I'm guessing if there is an injury or episode where someone gets booted they will be bringing Kimbo back.

This season is further proof that they shouldn't do HW TUF's. Terrible fights. The HW competition they had where Rashad won was absolutely painful to watch also.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:18 AM   #1119
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

From the looks of next week's preview I think Dana White poisons Marcus Jones so Kimbo can get another shot at getting tooled.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:30 AM   #1120
Travis
Pro Rookie

Whether or not Kimbo fights next week, we're going to get that flash every week to help them keep up ratings.

"Will this be the week Kimbo gets back into action?!"

"It wasn't this week, but will next week be the week? Tune in and find out!"

Now I'm impressed by Kimbo's attitude towards his training and trying to earn his way into the UFC and am under no illusions that he has basically a snowballs chance in ever amounting to much in the UFC proper even if he sponges his instruction as much as possible (given his age and the growing depth of the HW division), but they sure seem to be planning to get every bit of PR out of him for this season of TUF as they can.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #1121
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I'm a very, very, very casual MMA viewer (a PPV once a year maybe?)... but I'm finding the series mildly enjoyable.

Could have used more background on the fighters pre "draft"... giving us their background, relative strengths/weaknesses, etc.

The fights have been pretty meh so far though. But geez did that guy get his head split open in the first one.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:07 PM   #1122
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Well, if you wanna know if Kimbo's back, here's spoilers:

Spoiler

Last edited by DeToxRox : 10-01-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #1123
PilotMan
Head Coach

So Dream 11, was this morning. I didnt' get to see it but from reading it, it sounded entertaining. I'm sure that the Minowaman/Man Choi fight was interesting and I can reiterate that Bob Sapp sucks as an MMA fighter. Would have liked to have seen Hellboy and Aoki.

Like Steam?

Old 10-06-2009, 08:12 PM   #1124
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
So Dream 11, was this morning. I didnt' get to see it but from reading it, it sounded entertaining. I'm sure that the Minowaman/Man Choi fight was interesting and I can reiterate that Bob Sapp sucks as an MMA fighter. Would have liked to have seen Hellboy and Aoki.

I was disappointed Joe Warren lost the way he did. Not the fact he lost without tapping, because he wasn't getting out of that sub, but mainly because I think Warren will be legit in MMA. He's still very young and learning though.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:40 PM   #1125
Calis
College Starter

I like Warren and am impressed with how far he's come in a short time, but I never thought he had a prayer of beating Fernandes. If Kid had any sort of skill or interest in using a sub he could have had Warren on several occasions in their fight, and obviously Bibiano is worlds better at jiu-jitsu than Kid. I was glad to see him win the tourney.

I didn't get to see the Aoki/Hansen fight yet.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #1126
PilotMan
Head Coach

Is it just me? Or is Strikeforce completely blowing their wad on their Nov 7th show?

Fedor, Mousasi, Mayhem and Shields? That's like every star on their roster. How are they going to top that?

Like Steam?

Old 10-07-2009, 08:05 PM   #1127
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Is it just me? Or is Strikeforce completely blowing their wad on their Nov 7th show?

Fedor, Mousasi, Mayhem and Shields? That's like every star on their roster. How are they going to top that?

By folding directly after and signing a CO Deal with UFC.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:09 PM   #1128
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
By folding directly after and signing a CO Deal with UFC.

Yeah right, M1 would NEVER tri-promote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #1129
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:

Well because it's on main TV I can kind of see the idea that this is an introduction to the world and here are our stars. Now they have to hope that the favorites win and then they can spread them out across some future cards. Now if they get Petruzellied it could change dramatically.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 10-09-2009, 12:54 AM   #1130
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Forrest Griffin is replacing Mark Coleman vs Tito Ortiz at 106. Hard to believe how loaded 106 is. I think it's stacking up better then 100.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:16 AM   #1131
DeToxRox
Head Coach

And in lame news, it was rumored for Strikeforce that it'd be Mousasi vs King Mo, which would be, in my opinion, the two best 205's not in UFC battling it out. Now it's coming out it won't be King Mo. If Mo was fighting Mousasi it'd make this Strikeforce show 100x better and it's already good.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:28 PM   #1132
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Looks like Mousasi vs Sokoudjou now. Not quite Mousasi vs Mo but this is a good fight on short notice.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:37 PM   #1133
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

That still is a fantastic fight!
Old 10-12-2009, 09:24 PM   #1134
Flasch186
Coordinator

Just watched the WEC event from the weekend and wow....

Cerrone v Henderson had to be a candidate for fight of the year and also succeeded in making Jamie Varner look like a schmuck and he didnt even fight.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 10-12-2009, 09:31 PM   #1135
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
Just watched the WEC event from the weekend and wow....

Cerrone v Henderson had to be a candidate for fight of the year and also succeeded in making Jamie Varner look like a schmuck and he didnt even fight.

That was an awesome fight. Very technical on the ground, but also very quickly paced. Henderson's ability to withstand submissions was incredible.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:04 PM   #1136
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Gonzaga vs Dos Santos added to 108, which now brings that show to:

Anderson vs Vitor
Rashad vs Thiago Silva
Gonzaga vs dos Santos
Wanderlei vs Sexyama

I have read though that Wandy is probably going to not fight on 108 now and wait until February or March.

Regardless, that's a sick, sick show.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:11 AM   #1137
Calis
College Starter

The Cerrone vs. Henderson match was fantastic. WEC is really delivering on great matches. The fight in the near future I'm most excited about is there also, I can't wait to see Brown vs. Aldo next month. Aldo has just walked through people, but obviously no one the level of Brown. Should be a classic.

Nice looking Strikeforce card on CBS which I can't wait to see.

I'm excited to see Machida vs. Shogun also even though it is such an odd match. Obviously Shogun is a huge underdog, but I think he has an odd enough style he has a good of chance as anyone to win, and I will be rooting for him just to shake things up. Machida is phenomenal of course, but the guy hasn't even defended his title yet so I think people are jumping the gun. I also wonder how quick people will turn on him if he turns in another "boring" performance. This won't be it though.

That 106 card is looking great.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:59 AM   #1138
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Gonzaga vs Dos Santos added to 108, which now brings that show to:

Anderson vs Vitor
Rashad vs Thiago Silva
Gonzaga vs dos Santos
Wanderlei vs Sexyama

I have read though that Wandy is probably going to not fight on 108 now and wait until February or March.

Regardless, that's a sick, sick show.

I thought Rashad was supposed to fight Rampage following this season's TUF?
Old 10-14-2009, 10:02 AM   #1139
Flasch186
Coordinator

Rampage is going to be Mr. T in the A Team and I guess had a falling out with Dana (for now) so he is 'retired'...

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 10-14-2009, 09:49 PM   #1140
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I have a horrible feeling on TUF tonight that Wes Sims is going to get murdered. Sure hope not as he is my favorite person in the house, the dude just has that personality about him.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:56 PM   #1141
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Spoiler
Old 10-14-2009, 10:51 PM   #1142
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Rampage is going to be Mr. T in the A Team and I guess had a falling out with Dana (for now) so he is 'retired'...

Yea, knew about the whole falling out, I thought he was still going through with the Rashad fight though, was actually looking forward to that one, oh well. Find it hard to believe he's just gonna walk away from what I assume is a pretty nice payday, but then again, he's got his whole "movie career" going, so maybe he can afford to do so.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:17 AM   #1143
Flasch186
Coordinator

...and this season of TUF has turned him into 'the bad guy' and Rashad into the 'hero'.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 10-15-2009, 11:55 AM   #1144
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
...and this season of TUF has turned him into 'the bad guy' and Rashad into the 'hero'.

I think it's just emphasizing how poor of a coach Rampage is. His first go around on TUF certainly suggested strongly that he wasn't very good in that role and this time around, well, now I'm beyond questioning him and wondering why he has the assistants there that he does and if they're his main training coaches, just how much they've held him back. They're still giving Rampage ample face time and certainly give him a lot of tv time for his one liners, jokes, etc.

I think Rampage is a very good fighter, but the more and more I see of him, the more I believe a lot of it is just instinctual for him. I'd love to see how much film work he puts in for a fight and see if I'm wrong, but I really think he just works on what he wants to work on and goes at it.

I have however gained a lot of respect for Evans since his days on TUF as he always seems to go in with a great game plan and has really shown that even at a young age/early in his career that he takes the welfare/future of his fighters very seriously. It's been a lot of fun watching his side of the show and seeing how he prepares his fighters and his strategy.

I could do without all the Rampage/Evans face to face stuff, but nothing Evans said last night wasn't something I'm sure most people watching the show weren't thinking. Which is too bad as I find myself really wanting to like Rampage, but for every funny moment I'm seeing 2-3 other moments that just make me wonder why he even took the gig. Would have been very interesting to see the season with one change, and that'd be having Kimbo on Rashad's team both for the improved training and them being able to control when he'd fight and who he would face.

One mistake Evans may have made though is pissing off Big Baby. I feel bad for whoever has to get in the cage with him. He might go Chewbacca on them.

Last edited by Travis : 10-15-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:01 PM   #1145
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Big Baby had no reason to be pissed off at all. Evans said "What makes you think you aren't fighting?" Which Big Baby immediately took to mean "You're fighting next". I like the guy too but his crybaby act is wearing thin.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:06 PM   #1146
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I want to see Marcus Jones wunderlic score, because in no way did Shad come out and emphatically state he was going to fight. Christ he annoyed me with his boo hooing.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:12 PM   #1147
DeToxRox
Head Coach

As far as Rampage as a coach, to me it seems obvious that Dana wanted to put his biggest personality on the show again, and probably made a lot of promises to Rampage in the process to get him to sign on. Dana had to have known Rampage loved Kimbo, so of course he'd make sure he was on Team Rampage. I honestly believe that if Kimbo wasn't on this season, then neither would Rampage.

Let's put it this way, Dana had to know Kimbo would go out early, but he had to have hoped Rampage's personality kept people who might turn the show off when Kmbo went out would keep them in. I think it has worked as ratings seem to be holding steady.

I think Dana did a disservice to the other fighters but putting Rampage on the show when it's obvious he was there for one guy, but in the flipside, there is no way any of these guys, save Schuab and maybe Nelson or McSweeney amount to anything in the UFC.

I think Schuab will be a beast, but after that it's a bunch of mostly one dimensional guys who if they make it will go the way of Bonnar.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:27 PM   #1148
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
Big Baby had no reason to be pissed off at all. Evans said "What makes you think you aren't fighting?" Which Big Baby immediately took to mean "You're fighting next". I like the guy too but his crybaby act is wearing thin.

Sorry, I should have clarified, I'm not saying I agree with Big Baby, but that said, just because he might not be all that swift, I think Evans is smart enough to know that.

So the question is now, do you appease the giant by picking him next or walk the tight rope and try to play head games with him now and not pick him until late.

If you do that then he just gets angrier and angrier that he's not getting picked (I'm assuming) and then when he does finally get in there he either rips the arms off of whoever he's fighting or he makes a mistake early and is done before he knows what's happened.

Given that he's still likely set to be matched up with the black sheep of Team Evans, maybe they're trying to stoke the big man's fire and they may not mind going 7-1 rather than 8-0
Old 10-18-2009, 12:44 PM   #1149
PilotMan
Head Coach

I gotta say, looking at the card that Srikeforce has put out there for this free fight on CBS, as well as the caliber of fighters who are on the card and it looks like Strikeforce really has a much better plan than EXC ever did.

This could be the show of the year, better than UFC 100 basically because it's free, but still is looks to be something that plays out before a national audience where they can actually see the sport as it should be, not with all that Kimbo mumbojumbo.

Can Strikeforce spend the kind of money that they need to in order to be a viable alternative to UFC in terms of landing the big name talent?

Henderson vs the winner of the Mayhem/Shields fight would be another must see fight.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 10-18-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:04 PM   #1150
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
but still is looks to be something that plays out before a national audience where they can actually see the sport as it should be, not with all that Kimbo mumbojumbo.

The question is how many people in the general public will actually watch minus the Kimbo hype.