Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-01-2005, 06:16 AM   #1
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Will other countries give us aid?

Just a conversation the wife and I had yesterday. Since the United States gave quite a bit of aid to the tsunami victims, do you think other countries will do the same for us? We doubted it. Maybe some of our allies during the war will give us aid, but that's doubtful, too. Thoughts?

Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 06:35 AM   #2
Joe
Pro Starter

nope, and it doesnt surprise me. Even as a country we aren't even doing much to help out our own, compared to the tsunami of 2004.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 06:38 AM   #3
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
nope, and it doesnt surprise me. Even as a country we aren't even doing much to help out our own, compared to the tsunami of 2004.

Its been what? 3 days?!
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 06:40 AM   #4
Yossarian
High School Varsity

I'm not sure what other countries will do (note I'm from UK).

I guess part of the donation in other cases is due to the victim country being unable to deal with the tragedy as well as a 'you got screwed, hope this helps' element.

With you guys, I guess being the world's major power means you are *able* to deal with the tragedy without outside help, but that doesn't cover the second empathetic part.
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 06:42 AM   #5
Galaril
Pro Starter

Yeah, I look forward to helping anyone who has fallen on hard times on Wall Street or Beverly Hills. I think we should be realistic. Having lived overseas for the last 11 years I think a vast majority of people in most countries think even in crisiis we are so rich here(compared to them) that we have no needs.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 06:48 AM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I believe there was an offer from Israel of any military help we wanted, basically just tell us who/what you need & we'll send it. (I've only heard it mentioned briefly, I gathered that it was in reference to people trained in S&R and such.)
Old 09-01-2005, 06:50 AM   #7
Antmeister
Pro Starter

I recall reading that there are some that wanted to help. Switzerland and Venezuela seemed to be our best best according to this post in another thread, but that seems to be it....for now.

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/foru...&postcount=629

Last edited by Antmeister : 09-01-2005 at 06:52 AM.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 06:59 AM   #8
KeyserSoze
H.S. Freshman Team

I think that in an international level all countries will help if the US ask for help. If they don't ask, itīs considered very unpolitely offer help.
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:10 AM   #9
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Even as a country we aren't even doing much to help out our own, compared to the tsunami of 2004.
I'm not sure what you're basing this comment on, but I disagree.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:22 AM   #10
korme
Go Reds

Yes, it has been proven that AIDS was not originated in the USA.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:32 AM   #11
Alf
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze
I think that in an international level all countries will help if the US ask for help. If they don't ask, itīs considered very unpolitely offer help.
yep, basically, that's the international custom.

It is usually considered rude to just say "We want to help you" as it is often heard as "Hey, let us help you as you can't seem to be doing it yourself"

So basically, once the USA call for help from other countries, my bet is that all countries will respond (and stop that nonsense about allies-non allies during Irak invasion, that has nothing to do with that particular situation), including France of course.

Last edited by Alf : 09-01-2005 at 07:51 AM.
Alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:58 AM   #12
Yossarian
High School Varsity

yeah, im sure that as soon as the us asks, many countries would offer at least military personnel to assist with manual work.
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 08:02 AM   #13
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian
yeah, im sure that as soon as the us asks, many countries would offer at least military personnel to assist with manual work.

I agree, but I would say there is next to zero chance of that happening. Maybe a few specialized units (cadaver finders and the like), but I doubt that there will be a need for more manpower than the US miltary can provide.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 08:04 AM   #14
Subby
lolzcat

A number of countries have already stepped forward to offer aid, including, of all countires, Venezuela.

Germany: http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=116&sid=560022

Quote:
In Berlin Thursday, German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder offered aid and assistance, saying he had called on several ministries to come up with a detailed list of what kind of aid they could provide. "There is a lot possible for us in this sector," he said.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 09-01-2005 at 08:07 AM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 08:40 AM   #15
moriarty
College Starter

I'm sure some countries will make good faith offers, but I wouldn't expect too much.

If a poor family suffered a crisis, we would expect well to do families to offer some charity, but if a well to do family suffered a crisis, we wouldn't necessarily expect poorer families to kick in to help them out. Its' the nature of the beast, and the expectations with being wealthy.

I don't see it being too much diffent at the national level, and I really don't have an issue with it.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 08:43 AM   #16
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
A number of countries have already stepped forward to offer aid, including, of all countires, Venezuela.

Germany: http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=116&sid=560022

Germany then went on to blame this on Bush and his stance on global warming.

Douche.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 08:44 AM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In Berlin Thursday, German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder offered aid and assistance, saying he had called on several ministries to come up with a detailed list of what kind of aid they could provide. "There is a lot possible for us in this sector," he said.

Quote:

Quote:
yep, basically, that's the international custom.

It is usually considered rude to just say "We want to help you" as it is often heard as "Hey, let us help you as you can't seem to be doing it yourself"

So if I'm following this, Schroeder just intentionally insulted us.

edit to add: I see Jeff posted what I already knew while I was posting. I just wondered how long it would take for people to start defending the Germans.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-01-2005 at 08:45 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:27 AM   #18
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
So if I'm following this, Schroeder just intentionally insulted us.

edit to add: I see Jeff posted what I already knew while I was posting. I just wondered how long it would take for people to start defending the Germans.

I heard a report that based on Schroeder's statement, the French surrendered to Germany again but maybe that was just a rumor...
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:30 AM   #19
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
Just a conversation the wife and I had yesterday. Since the United States gave quite a bit of aid to the tsunami victims, do you think other countries will do the same for us? We doubted it. Maybe some of our allies during the war will give us aid, but that's doubtful, too. Thoughts?

Do you need aid ? Its the richest country in the world, by far. Its a cute statement, but a rather pointless one.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:37 AM   #20
cody8200
High School Varsity

I have no idea if we need aid to tell you the truth. I'm in Indiana over 1000 miles away from the areas destroyed by katrina. To tell you the truth I know we dont need financial aid and we probably dont need food or water aid since we should be able to import it from some other nearby state. However, having more people helping to look for survivors or the dead would be nice.
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:42 AM   #21
andy m
High School Varsity

just get bill gates and the other rich buggers to cough up a few bux. or sell broken bits of new orleans on ebay to fund the rebuild. $$$$$$$.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:48 AM   #22
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy m
just get bill gates and the other rich buggers to cough up a few bux. or sell broken bits of new orleans on ebay to fund the rebuild. $$$$$$$.

I think the looters have dibs on the broken pieces...
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:50 AM   #23
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Totally sidebar, but ... salvaged pieces from New Orleans homes have been pretty big business for at least the past decade.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:00 AM   #24
MIJB#19
Coordinator

I'm wondering how long it will take until Dutch water management experts are asked to or will volunteer to help with the whole battle against the water. Afterall, 'we' are the experts on solving problems with water.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:11 AM   #25
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19
... or will volunteer to help with the whole battle against the water.

IIRC, they've already volunteered.

I think there's a reference to that in the large Katrina thread, but I may be mistaken & saw it somewhere else.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:24 AM   #26
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
IIRC, they've already volunteered.

I think there's a reference to that in the large Katrina thread, but I may be mistaken & saw it somewhere else.
I haven't taken the time to read all the news and/or that entire thread, but I wouldn't be surprised if that already happened.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:26 PM   #27
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
I believe there was an offer from Israel of any military help we wanted, basically just tell us who/what you need & we'll send it. (I've only heard it mentioned briefly, I gathered that it was in reference to people trained in S&R and such.)

Probably S&R. Israeli S&R units are considered the best in the world, for obvious reasons.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 12:44 PM   #28
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
Probably S&R. Israeli S&R units are considered the best in the world, for obvious reasons.

Yeah, that was pretty much my reason for interpreting it that way. Sadly, practice often makes for higher skill in that sort of thing.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:13 PM   #29
bronconick
College Starter

I read something where Putin offered any help that was asked for, because I commented to a friend that you knew it was bad if the Russians were offering assistance.

I don't know if we even need help, except for perhaps specialized assistance from foreign experts (the Dutch, as mentioned above, etc.) but it wouldn't hurt other countries to at least say, "you need it, you got it", as opposed to the German enviromental minister, who basically blamed our shunning of the Kyoto treaty.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 01:23 PM   #30
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I think it's past the point where this Dutchman can help...

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 01:24 PM   #31
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Dola,

I'm sure that we are going to get a lot of help from countries world wide. When things like this happen, people and governments put politics aside.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 01:35 PM   #32
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

France announced earlier today it was ready to mobilize civil and military means to come and help victims of Katrina. Help will likely be staged from the French Carribeans (sp?) islands.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:06 PM   #33
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

AP:
Quote:
Barry Schweid / Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- In a dramatic turnabout, the United States is now on the receiving end of help from around the world as some two dozen countries offer post-hurricane assistance.

Venezuela, a target of frequent criticism by the Bush administration, offered humanitarian aid and fuel. Venezuela's Citgo Petroleum Corp. pledged a $1 million donation for hurricane aid.

The United Nations informed U.S. Ambassador John R. Bolton it was prepared to support the relief effort "in any way possible."

Under Secretary-General Jan Egeland said his office had offered the services of the U.N.'s disaster assistance and coordination teams to the U.S. Agency for International Development.

Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon sent a letter to President Bush offering hundreds of doctors, nurses, technicians and other experts in trauma, natural disasters and public health.

"We also offer field hospitals, medical kits and equipment for temporary housing, reinforcement for hospitals, or any assistance that you may require," Sharon wrote.

He said the teams and equipment could be ready in 24 hours.

With offers from the four corners of the globe pouring in, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has decided "no offer that can help alleviate the suffering of the people in the afflicted area will be refused," State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said Thursday.

However, in Moscow, a Russian official said the U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency had rejected a Russian offer to dispatch rescue teams and other aid.

On Tuesday, President Vladimir Putin sent condolences to Bush and said Russia was prepared to help if asked.

Boats, aircraft, tents, blankets, generators, cash assistance and medical teams have been offered to the U.S. government in Washington or in embassies overseas.

Offers have been received from Russia, Japan, Canada, France, Honduras, Germany, Venezuela, Jamaica, Australia, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Greece, Hungary, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Mexico, China, South Korea, Israel, the United Arab Emirates, NATO and the Organization of American States, the spokesman said.

Still, Bush told ABC-TV: "I'm not expecting much from foreign nations because we hadn't asked for it. I do expect a lot of sympathy and perhaps some will send cash dollars. But this country's going to rise up and take care of it."

"You know," he said, "we would love help, but we're going to take care of our own business as well, and there's no doubt in my mind we'll succeed. And there's no doubt in my mind, as I sit here talking to you, that New Orleans is going to rise up again as a great city."

Historically, the United States provides assistance to other countries experiencing earthquakes, floods and other disasters.

Germany, which was rebuilt after World War II largely by the U.S. Marshall Plan, offered its help in a telephone call to Rice.

"The German Government is prepared to do all that is humanly possible," the German embassy said. In his call, German Foreign Minister Joschka Fischer assured Rice of Germany's solidarity with its American friends in a difficult time, the embassy said.

Israeli Ambassador Daniel Ayalon called Wednesday at the State Department to offer condolences and assistance. Israel is the largest recipient of U.S. aid, about $2.2 billion a year.

"The hearts and prayers of Israel's people are with the people of the United States and the many millions who are suffering in the regional devastation resulting from hurricane Katrina," the Israeli embassy said in a statement.

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Old 09-01-2005, 05:21 PM   #34
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I can't wait for the inevitable criticism of the declined offer of manpower, but it's pretty clear at this point, we don't have places yet to even house & maintain our own people much less anyone else's. If, 3 weeks from now, we turn down an offer of, say, morgue experts, then I'll criticize that (unless we've got it fully covered with ease) but for now, I believe its understandable & at least appears to be fully justifiable.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:26 PM   #35
cody8200
High School Varsity

Im happy to see that so many countries have offered assistance. Its nice to know that despite many of those same country's being polar opposites to us politically, that when we need assistance, it is offered. I believe the US has done the same in the past and if it hasn't, I hope it does in the future. No matter the politics of a country, natural disasters effect the common people much more than the governments.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:56 PM   #36
Raiders Army
Coordinator

It's great that other countries not only offered, but are helping out. I agree with cody about natural disasters.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 06:33 PM   #37
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody8200
Im happy to see that so many countries have offered assistance. Its nice to know that despite many of those same country's being polar opposites to us politically, that when we need assistance, it is offered. I believe the US has done the same in the past and if it hasn't, I hope it does in the future. No matter the politics of a country, natural disasters effect the common people much more than the governments.

Peculiar comments about "country's being polar opposites to use politically". The assumes that any country, including ours, have a single point in which you can define its opposite. In reality, most western nations are very close to each other politically and where you would find "opposites" would countries like North Korea.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:13 PM   #38
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
I can't wait for the inevitable criticism of the declined offer of manpower, but it's pretty clear at this point, we don't have places yet to even house & maintain our own people much less anyone else's. If, 3 weeks from now, we turn down an offer of, say, morgue experts, then I'll criticize that (unless we've got it fully covered with ease) but for now, I believe its understandable & at least appears to be fully justifiable.

Kinda like our "lack of aid" to the Tsaumani? (yet, our private donations were extremely large) We can't do anything without criticism.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:14 PM   #39
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

This is a ludicrous post. Quite literally, every single person I know has donated charitably to some relief fund in the last few days.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:38 PM   #40
cody8200
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Peculiar comments about "country's being polar opposites to use politically". The assumes that any country, including ours, have a single point in which you can define its opposite. In reality, most western nations are very close to each other politically and where you would find "opposites" would countries like North Korea.

Nice quibble. I should have said "some" countries...such as Venezuela who I think anyone would agree has a quite different political position than the US.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:46 AM   #41
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Can we get CNN off the air and cable, please?
Today they claimed not a single country want to help.