hates iowa

Maybe not the right thread lol

sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 01:53 PM   #852
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
The other good thing for the Mets (and Phillies) is that the Braves lost out on the shortstop musical chairs.
But, but but....I got nothing.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 01:58 PM   #853
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

They avoided overpaying badly for a guy who never met a strikeout he couldn't manage.
Old 12-21-2022, 02:16 PM   #854
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I think Correa basically seems like a slightly better, younger Lindor and Lindor is one of the 5 or 6 best shortstops in the league. The other good thing for the Mets (and Phillies) is that the Braves lost out on the shortstop musical chairs.

Yep

Their career numbers are very comparable, but a year younger as you said. Both are excellent defenders so his transition to 3rd should be relatively easy.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 02:37 PM   #855
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
They avoided overpaying badly for a guy who never met a strikeout he couldn't manage.
No doubt most fans seemed relieved they didn't over pay for Swanson. Love to have him back, but he is no where near the value of that deal. I don't think Grissom is a serviceable replacement though. The reason the SS are getting such crazy numbers is how important that position is, and having a defensive liability there is hard to overcome unless the player has a big bat. I don't think Grissom is going to be good enough at the plate or on the field.
Old 12-21-2022, 03:05 PM   #856
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Grissom is at least a 3WAR player and an above average hitter. He’s basically a sure thing.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 03:09 PM   #857
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Grissom is at least a 3WAR player and an above average hitter. He’s basically a sure thing.

The question is really his defense. He's working with Ron Washington on that already, and Washington has reportedly raved about him but can he get his fielding percentage up to something closer to what you'd like to see? Remains to be seen.
Old 12-21-2022, 03:48 PM   #858
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I grew up listening to WFAN. The average caller is about as smart as a rock. I knew 3 seconds in that guy was a Yankee fan. It really pisses them off the Mets are getting all the headlines and the players.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 04:15 PM   #859
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

I think the bright side for the Braves will be down the road, when guys like Freeman and Swanson are still being paid like they are premium players in their late 30s and early 40s, they will be able to afford to keep their actual useful players. There are 5-10 teams in MLB that can afford to make mistakes and then the rest of the teams are largely supporting cast.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 04:22 PM   #860
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The Mets projected luxury tax is larger than the entire payroll of 15 teams currently
Old 12-21-2022, 07:27 PM   #861
GrantDawg

I don't see Grissom being a 3 war player at Short. Idk if he would have been a 3war player at 2nd. His bat had started cooling toward the end of the season as ML pitchers started catching on to him. His defense wasn't great, and as much as I love Wash, I don't think he is going to make him a plus defender in one off season. I wish they had found a SS, and moved him to LF like many expected. I think he would have worked out to be a more valuable player there. His bat might work out to be OK, but will it make up for the runs he will cost of a lack of range at SS? I'm not so sure.
The Braves can't afford to pay the crazy money going, so I understand why they weren't in play for the big named guys. They still haven't made any major improvements this off season, where other teams have made big steps. I hope they make some kind of move before we go into next season. AA has done a good job. Hopefully he has something up his sleeve.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 12-21-2022 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-21-2022, 08:14 PM   #862
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
The Mets projected luxury tax is larger than the entire payroll of 15 teams currently

I knew the Marlins would be on there but I was curious about who the other teams were.

Red Sox-$104,095,000
Tigers- $102,325,000
Mariners- $93,235,714
Diamondbacks- $64,383,333
Nationals- $62,463,095
Twins- $60,217,857
Reds- $46,500,000
Marlins- $45,200,000
Brewers- $43,784,960
Guardians- $41,300,000
Royals- $36,400,000
Pirates- $35,650,000
Rays- $31,054,545
Orioles- $29,641,666
A's- $22,500,000
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 08:48 PM   #863
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't see Grissom being a 3 war player at Short. Idk if he would have been a 3war player at 2nd. His bat had started cooling toward the end of the season as ML pitchers started catching on to him. His defense wasn't great, and as much as I love Wash, I don't think he is going to make him a plus defender in one off season. I wish they had found a SS, and moved him to LF like many expected. I think he would have worked out to be a more valuable player there. His bat might work out to be OK, but will it make up for the runs he will cost of a lack of range at SS? I'm not so sure.
The Braves can't afford to pay the crazy money going, so I understand why they weren't in play for the big named guys. They still haven't made any major improvements this off season, where other teams have made big steps. I hope they make some kind of move before we go into next season. AA has done a good job. Hopefully he has something up his sleeve.

His RF in 3 seasons at SS in the minors is basically the same as Swanson's RF. More errors, but same range.
Old 12-22-2022, 11:51 AM   #864
Swaggs
Coordinator

Would anyone trade Grissom for Swanson (including their current contracts/service years) straight up right now?
Old 12-22-2022, 12:57 PM   #865
miked
College Starter

I would not do that trade, but if you told me to choose Dansby for $25M/year or Grissom cost controlled for 5-6, it would be a no-brainer. Dansby is good, but not that good. He was basically a 2 WAR player with slightly above average defense until this last season. Is this last season a guarantee of things to come? Maybe, but he has shown us who is he is and it is not a $25M player (basically a top 50 player in the league).
Old 12-22-2022, 07:06 PM   #866
Atocep
Coordinator

Tevor Bauer reinstated.
Old 12-22-2022, 08:20 PM   #867
MrBug708
Head Coach

MLB did the Dodgers a solid and made his salary for this year come at 3 million under the luxury tax threshold
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 04:22 PM   #868
Atocep
Coordinator

It's always fun to see the guys my son played with pop up on prospect lists.

Kopp is the Dodgers system. He was looked at as a potential top 2 round guy coming out of high school as lefties with his size and arm talent are incredibly rare. The problem was he came out the year the draft was shortened to 5 rounds so no one was taking chances and the comment about imploding at any given time is 100% accurate. His last big summer start that year he failed to get an out. That team had 2 catchers (my son and another kid) and they would trade off catching him because both hated it. Apparently catching upper 90s with movement and absolutely no control isn't fun (they say average velo below, but the last time I saw him he was 96-98)

He was committed to ASU, but decided to go Juco for a year for another shot at the draft and dropped to the Dodgers in the 12th round. He's a fun one to follow. Unless he suddenly discovers command he's probably a late innings guy, but as far as overall stuff goes he's the best my son played with or against.

18. Ronan Kopp, P (Low-A Great Lakes)

Kopp was a 12th-round JuCo pick in 2021 and only got slot, but this is not typical Day 3 stuff. The 6-foot-7 southpaw has a funky, two-stage delivery including a series of glove flutters, and consequently he can struggle to finish his pitches, especially the fastball. When he’s not missing arm-side and up, the heater has average velocity and it’s a rough angle/release point, especially for his fellow lefties. If Kopp can get ahead in the count, he unleashes two potential plus breakers. He’s much more consistent finishing the curve and slider, both of which show 1-7 shape with the mid-80s slider showing a bit more depth and sharpness. The curve is 10 mph slower, but just keep running glove-side for what seems like hours. The command and control here is a real problem, as Kopp can just completely implode at any time, but the breaking stuff is good enough to keep him on our radar for a while. Hopefully long enough for him to get those BB/9 more in the 4 to 5 range like his compatriots in the Top 10.
Old 12-23-2022, 10:45 PM   #869
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

First trade of the Atkins era that i'm actually kind of happy with. Hope it makes the team better, because the Blue Jays are pretty much blowing their window if they lose another Wild Card Series. (Though at least they're not the Angels...)
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 10:56 AM   #870
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Well, I guess the Giants should be off the hook with their fans because now the Mets are raising questions about Correa's medicals.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 02:42 PM   #871
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Pete Rose places Ohio's first legal sports bet on Reds to win 2023 World Series - CBSSports.com

Good for him.
Old 01-06-2023, 09:15 AM   #872
Swaggs
Coordinator

I just read that the Pirates only have 7 players remaining (in the organization) from the 28-man 2022 opening day roster. 15 were DFA'ed.

The 7 remaining are Ke'Bryan Hayes, Bryan Reynolds, Mitch Keller, JT Brubaker, David Bednar, Duane Underwood Jr., and Will Crowe. It wouldn't be too surprising if one or both of Underwood Jr. and/or Crowe don't make the team this year or if Reynolds and/or Brubaker get traded.

Pretty crazy for a team in perpetual rebuild to only have a 3B, one OF, two back of the rotation SP, and some relief arms (Bednar is at least pretty good) going into year 4 of a rebuild with a chance of having more than a year of service with the team.
Old 01-06-2023, 12:30 PM   #873
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Underwood def has compromising photos of someone. I bet they keep Crowe. He had some good stretches in middle relief.

Now them only offering 6/75 for Reynolds is a sick joke tho.
Old 01-06-2023, 07:36 PM   #874
miami_fan
Coordinator

Do the Browns needs a righty?

Los Angeles Dodgers cut ties with embattled pitcher Trevor Bauer
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 01-07-2023, 12:07 PM   #875
BYU 14
Coordinator

It will be curious to see who puts wins over backlash, my early guess is Astro's
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 01:41 PM   #876
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Padres seem like an obvious Bauer fit.
Old 01-10-2023, 11:27 AM   #877
Atocep
Coordinator

Looks like Correa is back to the Twins for something in the neighborhood of 6 years and 200 mil.
Old 01-10-2023, 12:55 PM   #878
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Old 01-10-2023, 01:17 PM   #879
bronconick
College Starter

What the heck is wrong with his knees?

Last edited by bronconick : 01-10-2023 at 01:18 PM.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 02:20 PM   #880
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
What the heck is wrong with his knees?

It's the ankle he messed up in the minors. He ended up having surgery on the fibula and a ligament in the ankle. I'm guessing it didn't heal properly or there's a degenerative condition that has him red flagged in the long term.
Old 01-13-2023, 08:12 PM   #881
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Happy to see Cutch back for a year. I’ll def go if they have another bobble head
Old 01-13-2023, 08:44 PM   #882
miami_fan
Coordinator

Sources - All AAA parks to use electronic strike zone in '23

I don't want to cost the umpires union jobs but I don't see the need for the challenges. I would prefer the robots to handle it all. This part here is interesting from a team building POV.

Quote:
t the winter meetings, MLB general managers were also briefed on the ongoing efforts to shape the strike zone in a way that is more conducive for action. In the season ahead, there will be more focus on lowering the top of the strike zone -- an area in which many pitchers have contributed to the record rate of strikeouts -- and calling strikes within the 17-inch horizontal plane above home plate.
Old 01-20-2023, 02:54 PM   #883
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Luis Arreaz seemed like the type of dude that would be a twin for life. The type of no power high contact guy they’ve had as franchise stalwarts for as long as I can remember.
Old 01-20-2023, 04:17 PM   #884
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

They need pitching and don't have many assets to get something decent in return.
Old 01-20-2023, 04:20 PM   #885
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If you want to stay in Minnesota, don't win a batting title I guess

Quote:
According to ESPN Stats & Information, Arraez is the first player to win a batting championship and then be traded in the offseason since Rod Carew won the AL batting title in 1978 with the Twins and then was traded to the Angels ahead of the 1979 season.

edit to add: humor aside, it's only fair to note that Carew wanted out

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-20-2023 at 04:22 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 07:35 PM   #886
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Good trade for the Twins. Love Arraez but he's extremely limited defensively and has bad knees. Definitely selling high.
Old 01-21-2023, 12:37 AM   #887
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I do think one of Kirilloff or Larnach could possibly break out I guess. Also pretty weird how far Austin Martin has fallen as a prospect because he would have been the type of guy that should be ready to step in right now.
Old 01-23-2023, 08:49 PM   #888
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Chip Caray reportedly taking the Cardinals PBP job
Old 01-23-2023, 09:20 PM   #889
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I do think one of Kirilloff or Larnach could possibly break out I guess. Also pretty weird how far Austin Martin has fallen as a prospect because he would have been the type of guy that should be ready to step in right now.

Kiriloff is heading into season 3 now, isn't he? That's usually the year that it clicks into place.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 05:19 AM   #890
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Chip Caray reportedly taking the Cardinals PBP job

I got a notification about this yesterday and searched "Chip Caray Cardinals" and clicked on the first story about it. I did not even realize it was a Cubs SB Nation page until I get to the end where there was this note.

Quote:
EDITOR’S NOTE: While the Cardinals and their fans are the Cubs’ biggest rivals, they’re also human beings. Please keep your comments respectful.

I chuckled.
Old 01-24-2023, 05:34 AM   #891
GrantDawg

"Swing and a long drive, deep to left field. It's going back, to the wall! And caught." Chip Caray a couple of times a gane.

Old 01-24-2023, 05:35 AM   #892
miami_fan
Coordinator

It's Baseball Hall of Fame Announcement Day!

Who if anyone is getting in? Here are the holdovers from last year's ballot.

Scott Rolen
63.2%
6th year

Todd Helton
52.0%
5th year

Billy Wagner
51.0%
8th year

Andruw Jones
41.4%
6th year

Gary Sheffield
40.6%
9th year

Álex Rodríguez
34.3%
2nd year

Jeff Kent
32.7%
10th year

Manny Ramírez
28.9%
6th year

Omar Vizquel
23.9%
6th year

Andy Pettitte
10.7%
5th year

Jimmy Rollins
9.4%
2nd year

Bobby Abreu
8.6%
4th year

Mark Buehrle
5.8%
3rd year

Torii Hunter
5.3%
3rd year

And here are the first timers.

Bronson Arroyo, Carlos Beltrán, Matt Cain, R.A. Dickey, Jacoby Ellsbury, Andre Ethier, J.J. Hardy, John Lackey, Mike Napoli, Jhonny Peralta, Francisco Rodríguez, Huston Street, Jered Weaver and Jayson Werth.

Who ya got, if any?
Old 01-24-2023, 05:51 AM   #893
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Beltran. Wagner. Arod. Kent.
Old 01-24-2023, 05:17 PM   #894
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Scott Rolen. Huh.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 07:06 PM   #895
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I never did a deep dive on Kent before but it seems like he should have made it eventually. Wasn’t he a colossal dickhead to reporters?
Old 01-30-2023, 07:13 PM   #896
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Zack Greinke’s 2022 Royals teammates share stories: ‘There are so many good ones’ - The Athletic