Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-26-2023, 05:54 PM   #701
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Weird end to the statement by McBride - how dysfunctional is US Soccer if they don't even know what positions they want to have after the World Cup and entering the 4 year cycle? At least Earnie is out now as well, looking less likely Gregg comes back. https://twitter.com/usmntonly/status...38336167645184

I read that more as "filling the position" was put on hold as opposed to the existence of the position.

Now it could be an issue with how duties are divided though.
Old 01-29-2023, 12:37 PM   #702
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Wrexham *sigh*
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 01:21 PM   #703
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I watched the first half while running on the treadmill, and while it was fairly entertaining, of course I missed all of the fireworks in the second half.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 06:50 PM   #704
Edward64
Head Coach

And here we are, overweight & eating Cheetos while hunched over a keyboard

Kazuyoshi Miura, 55, signs for Portuguese second-division side Oliveirense on loan - BBC Sport
Quote:
His 56th birthday is just around the corner but Japanese striker Kazuyoshi Miura is still making moves in football - literally.

Miura, in his fifth decade as a professional footballer, has joined Portuguese second-division side Oliveirense on loan from J-League outfit Yokohama FC.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 12:59 PM   #705
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Honestly, I have no idea.

Chelsea is currently on one of the biggest spending sprees ever. Which in theory could be fine, but it makes absolutely no sense for any one club to be able or allowed to spend over €600M in a single season (almost €540M more than they received) on transfers while their highest annual revenue on record is €513M.
Fixed that for ya.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 07:08 PM   #706
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

The Athletic had a good article on it. Basically since they've signed those players to long term deals (like 8-10 years, when 5 is normally the maximum) they can amortize the transfer cost across the full contract length, which keeps the figures down for FFP.

Apparently FIFA or UEFA plans to cap the amortization at 5 years in an upcoming rule.

Anyway, it's just creative accountancy. Though the Athletic article points out that it does not come without risks. If some of those players don't perform, you're stuck with some pretty albatross contracts.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 07:08 PM   #707
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

But, and I want to be clear, I agree with you, now especially, MIJB, that it's fucking ridiculous.
Old 02-02-2023, 07:39 PM   #708
miami_fan
Coordinator

Anyone else notice how tepid most of the criticism about Chelsea's soending spree has been. I am not talking about anyone on this board. I am talking about journalists, supporters, etc. Where is the derogatory name based on the owner's national origin? Where is the speculation over the owner's ethics and morals based on how much money is being spent? Where is all the yelling and screaming about bringing in all those foreigners for big money instead of giving the youths who have come through the ranks an opportunity? The most damming criticism I have seen is that it is a risky strategy.

Maybe everyone is waiting until this weekend to start but I have not seen it yet. I am not trying to be all whatabout-ism. Just something I have noticed. I think we have to be honest and say if other clubs both in and out of the EPL had went on a similar spree they would have been CRUSHED!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 07:51 AM   #709
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

American money good
Old 02-03-2023, 09:07 AM   #710
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Eh, Boehly made his money as an investor & financier. I'm sure some of his money is shady or ethically compromised, but Abramovich and the sovereign funds behind MCFC, Newcastle, PSG, etc... are on another level.

Also, I feel the argument about money meaning that academy products don't get chances has kind of run its course because a) there are some high-profile academy products doing well in the EPL and b) everyone kind of understands that once you're in the EPL you're in "win now" mode, to use a US sports-ism.
Old 02-03-2023, 03:54 PM   #711
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Chelsea are going to completely dominate Europa Conference League next year. I have a lot of faith in their next manager, whoever that is.
Old 02-03-2023, 03:55 PM   #712
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Huh, knew about the TST but thought it was going to be all not currently pro like the TBT, didn't realize teams were even allowed to put official entries in. Ryan Reynolds' Wrexham to enter new U.S. summer tournament

They're lining up a USWNT alumni team too - idk, 7v7 helps a little as it encourages technical ability but unless it's reffed a lot differently than the 7v7 games I've played that field size also encourages strength and physicality.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 04:44 PM   #713
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Chelsea are going to completely dominate Europa Conference League next year. I have a lot of faith in their next manager, whoever that is.

I can't tell if this post is exceptionally salty or is throwing a catastrophic amount of shade, but I enjoyed it either way.
Old 02-04-2023, 03:08 AM   #714
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Also, I feel the argument about money meaning that academy products don't get chances has kind of run its course because a) there are some high-profile academy products doing well in the EPL and b) everyone kind of understands that once you're in the EPL you're in "win now" mode, to use a US sports-ism.

Brexit has actually spun this completely the other way… it’s now almost impossible to sign young players from outside the UK, so the big teams are snapping up as many young British players for their academies as they can. Cardiff have lost highly rated 16 year olds to City, United and Leeds this season for basically no compensation.

Whether it is a good thing for these kids and gives them a pathway to play at that level and leads to more British kids in the Prem is a bit more controversial, but it is a notable trend and probably a great thing for the rest of Europe too.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 05:32 AM   #715
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
But, and I want to be clear, I agree with you, now especially, MIJB, that it's fucking ridiculous.
Oh, I never doubted that you would find it ridiculous. The only people in the world who can be okay with this is the handful that accommodated this spending spree, those that threw away said money and the ignorant bandwagon fans of Chelsea. Maybe similar people from similar villainous clubs, although even they may think Chelsea this season has raised the bar of insanity.
Old 02-04-2023, 12:37 PM   #716
Ksyrup

That Leicester win over AV was massive given Wolves and Everton beating top teams. Relegation battle is going to be interesting.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-06-2023, 05:02 AM   #717
miami_fan
Coordinator

Manchester City accused of breaking financial rules by Premier League - BBC Sport

Quote:
The Premier League has accused Manchester City of breaking its financial rules following a long-running investigation.

It has referred the club to a commission over alleged breaches between the 2009-10 and 2017-18 seasons.

In 2020 City had a two-year ban from European club competitions overturned by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas), after Uefa ruled that City committed "serious breaches" of Financial Fair Play (FFP) regulations between 2012 and 2016.

In a statement the Premier League said City breached rules requiring them to provide "accurate financial information that gives a true and fair view of the club's financial position".

This information included the club's revenue, including sponsorship revenue and operating costs.

Further breaches related to rules requiring full details of "manager remuneration".

These were related to the 2009-10 to 2012-13 seasons, when Roberto Mancini was in charge.

Last season City won their sixth Premier League title since the 2008 takeover by the Abu Dhabi United Group.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 02-06-2023, 08:08 AM   #718
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

lol

bring it
Old 02-06-2023, 08:33 AM   #719
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

They got referred to a commission?!

Wow. Gotta be quaking in their cleats over that one.

If things go really badly, the commission might end up issuing a report. Or even (gasp!) making non-binding recommendations!

Sports oversight is a joke wrapped inside of a giant eyeroll
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 12:01 PM   #720
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Can't wait until the EFL puts Cleveland State on probation for this.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 01:27 PM   #721
MIJB#19
Coordinator

UEFA's case got overturned by CAS, it's against knowing better the Premier League finding something to find Manchester City guilty. Maybe the Premier League should focus their investigations on the here and now of Chelsea and all the teams currently ranked ahead of them as well, to not jump onto things too little too late 5 to 14 years after the fact?
Old 02-06-2023, 03:18 PM   #722
miami_fan
Coordinator

I will never understand clubs that fire their manager after the transfer window closes. I have no issues with Jesse Marsch being removed. My issue is if he deserved to be fired after the game against Nottingham Forrest, he probably deserved to be fired after the loss in the Aston Villa game in the middle of January.
Old 02-06-2023, 04:07 PM   #723
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Same. I won't even pretend I know Leeds depth chart, but looks like they brought in 3 big signings Marsch presumably had a hand in (or at least McKennie & the one from RB Salzburg) a week ago and now could hire a manager with a different vision? Really hope it doesn't screw up the USMNT trio's playing time.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 02-06-2023 at 04:12 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 11:36 AM   #724
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Pep, you bald beauty! He just put the English press in his pocket.
Old 02-10-2023, 12:24 PM   #725
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I'm kind of impressed he knew who Paul Dickov and Mike Summerbee were.
Old 02-10-2023, 06:48 PM   #726
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Uh, they are both icons and quite involved with the club still.
Old 02-10-2023, 06:55 PM   #727
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Fair enough. I don't really pay attention to the noisy neighbors anyway.
Old 02-11-2023, 06:44 AM   #728
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Fair enough. I don't really pay attention to the noisy neighbors anyway.
They're legends from before Manchester City was sold to the UAE. I recognized Paul Dickov's name from SWOS96/97.
Old 02-11-2023, 10:49 AM   #729
Ksyrup

Nice performance from Leicester. And wow Wolves, down 1-0 and a red card in the 27th minute now lead 2-1.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:00 AM   #730
bhlloy
Coordinator

2 major errors in VAR in one day, nothing to see here. One having potentially a major impact on the title race, even though I don't think Arsenal were going to hold out anyway how do you just "miss" the player who assisted the goal being offside.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 12:14 PM   #731
miami_fan
Coordinator

I have mentioned before how much I listen to the matches on Sirius XM when I am away from the TV. The Talksport commentators were absolutely losing their shit at the suggestion that the goal should be chalked off. They even mentioned Norgaard but immediately swerved to say how ridiculous it was to take such a brilliant goal off the board. To be fair, I have not seen the goal but the idea that the matches should be officiated by vibes instead of the laws of the game is wild.
Old 02-12-2023, 03:36 PM   #732
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Trying to get my head around the idea of Manchester United being sold to Qatar. Like, the Glazers are bad owners, to be sure, but they're not actually evil. Winning titles and the UCL with Qatari money seems like a pointless victory.
Old 02-12-2023, 03:37 PM   #733
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
They're legends from before Manchester City was sold to the UAE.

I know that. I remember them from FM back in the day. I just didn't realize they were still heavily involved in the club.
Old 02-12-2023, 07:18 PM   #734
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
I know that. I remember them from FM back in the day. I just didn't realize they were still heavily involved in the club.
Neither was I.
Old 02-14-2023, 08:52 AM   #735
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Damn

edit: Headline understates it. Saved a PK and collapsed moments later.

Belgian goalkeeper Arne Espeel dies aged 25

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-14-2023 at 08:53 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 03:15 PM   #736
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

LFG
Old 02-15-2023, 05:18 PM   #737
Critch
lolzcat

I cant believe I ever thought Arsenal actually had a chance of winning the league.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 07:21 PM   #738
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

The shot of Arteta's body language when Haaland's goal went in to make it 3-1 really says it all. I actually feel bad for him - Arsenal put together a good season so far with an interesting & dynamic team, but Manchester City are just inevitable like Thanos, though with better long-term decision-making.
Old 02-17-2023, 08:07 AM   #739
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Lots and lots of smoke that Manchester United's new owners will be the Qatari Sovereign Wealth Fund. If so, I guess I'm going to find out what it's like trying to not support a club I've spent the better part of 3 decades supporting.
Old 02-18-2023, 02:48 PM   #740
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

All of those Newcastle players waving their fingers in the referees face after Nick Pope got the world's most obvious and non-controversial red card for handball needed to get yellow cards for dissent. Leagues really need to start clamping down on this bullshit.
Old 02-18-2023, 04:08 PM   #741
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Manchester City just got totally FMed by Nottingham Forest today. 17 shots to 3, 6 on target to 1, final score 1-1. Everybody should be on finishing training the next week.
Old 02-18-2023, 05:18 PM   #742
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Lots and lots of smoke that Manchester United's new owners will be the Qatari Sovereign Wealth Fund. If so, I guess I'm going to find out what it's like trying to not support a club I've spent the better part of 3 decades supporting.

Are you, a Manchester United supporter, suggesting that the Glazers should do the decent thing, hang on to the club and maintain their current trajectory? Glazers In?!

Just giving you shit. I get where you are coming from.
Old 02-18-2023, 07:31 PM   #743
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

You can go die in a fire, miami_fan.

It's a good question, though. Given the choice between Qatar and the Glazers, I'd actually pick the Glazers. But let's hope it doesn't come to that and somehow Ratcliffe's bid is the winning one (though I suppose there's plenty not to like about money from a massive chemical company).
Old 02-19-2023, 09:20 AM   #744
Ksyrup

Leicester has to end the Wout Faes experience. He's been directly responsible for both goals today. He had 2 own goals in like 7 minutes against Liverpool. He's just not consistently good. And for a team on the margins, he's a difference maker in all the wrong ways.
Old 02-19-2023, 09:28 AM   #745
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Wrexham craziness again!

Ahead 3-2 in the 89th minute, they give up an own goal to tie it. Then they score on a corner in the 96th minute to win 4-3.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 05:05 PM   #746
miami_fan
Coordinator

MLS fans- if you have T-Mobile, check the T-Mobile Tuesday app. 2023 MLS Season Pass on Apple TV is free similar to what they have done with MLB TV in the past. Of course you have to have an Apple TV subscription as well.

Note to T-Mobile, the rest of my family will not be happy if you switched out MLB Tv for the MLS.
Old 02-23-2023, 10:47 PM   #747
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I was just looking at this today and it's very possible MLB.tv is out this year for T-Mobile. That's... annoying

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 08:39 AM   #748
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I know it's just the Europa League, but that was a hell of a win for Manchester United over Barcelona yesterday. In the spirit of fandom overreactions I'm declaring myself 150% in on Erik ten Hag.
Old 02-24-2023, 08:55 AM   #749
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I was just looking at this today and it's very possible MLB.tv is out this year for T-Mobile. That's... annoying

SI

It's gone from YTTV as well (I know since I'm about to switch). I think this is a wider issue based on the Bally sports thing.

However, if I want it, I don't think it's a huge deal because I think I can just get it through my Samsung TV. It's just a pain in the ass to switch apps, I guess.
Old 02-26-2023, 08:22 AM   #750
miami_fan
Coordinator

It is going to be really interesting to hear why that is not a red card.