Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-16-2023, 04:08 PM   #4001
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Any answer that isn't Porky's is probably wrong.

I still choose Porky's!
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 04:39 PM   #4002
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Porky's is all land-mines.

THIS!!!!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 08:45 PM   #4003
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

New Mandalorian 3/1
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 11:30 AM   #4004
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Would the Last of Us be good for an almost 13 year old who loves Stranger Things, Wednesday, Umbrella Academy?
Old 01-18-2023, 11:36 AM   #4005
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Would the Last of Us be good for an almost 13 year old who loves Stranger Things, Wednesday, Umbrella Academy?

yes
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 11:37 AM   #4006
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
yes

oh wait you mean the series. i was talking of the game
heck if i know. it's probably awful like all video game movies
Old 01-18-2023, 11:43 AM   #4007
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

If I was talking about the video game I would have posted in the video games thread.
Old 01-18-2023, 12:30 PM   #4008
whomario
Pro Starter

The Pilot episode is terrific imo. It being made into a series vs a movie was a great call by the creators i think.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 01-18-2023 at 12:32 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 12:32 PM   #4009
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
If I was talking about the video game I would have posted in the video games thread.

I would say not. It covers much more mature themes, is violent, and the game was tough to play through at times. Not for the feint of heart.

There are likeable characters but not real heroes. It's a realistic take on a post apocalyptic event where everyone has a bad side and will do what it takes to look after themselves and their own.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 04:32 PM   #4010
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I would say not. It covers much more mature themes, is violent, and the game was tough to play through at times. Not for the feint of heart.

There are likeable characters but not real heroes. It's a realistic take on a post apocalyptic event where everyone has a bad side and will do what it takes to look after themselves and their own.

Wait. Are you saying the show wouldn't be appropriate or the game?

There is a reason I posted this in the Netflix thread. I just learned it even was a video game
Old 01-18-2023, 04:59 PM   #4011
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Wait. Are you saying the show wouldn't be appropriate or the game?

There is a reason I posted this in the Netflix thread. I just learned it even was a video game

Both? The show only has 1 episode released, but knowing the content of the game and that this is a direct adaptation I can make an educated guess. The first episode has some brutally tough moments and it won't get better from there.

It's just a completely different tone than umbrella academy, stranger things, ect.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 05:07 PM   #4012
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I feel like the show is a little more adult than Stranger Things or Umbrella Academy. I would say it’s probably not appropriate for a 13 year old, but all kids are kind of different.

The tone of the show is pretty rough and adult oriented. I think I’d have to watch a few more episodes to be sure.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 05:39 PM   #4013
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I would say it’s probably not appropriate for a 13 year old, but all kids are kind of different.

And that's really the key here. Mine wouldn't have blinked at this at 13, but he was pretty well versed in both gaming & movie content by that point.

I mean, the Walking Dead debuted when he was 12 and that was never once a hesitation nor an issue. That was also around the time he got caught up on Sons of Anarchy as well as Breaking Bad.
Old 01-19-2023, 06:35 AM   #4014
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

This isn't really streaming, but the new Nightcourt debut as NBC highest comedy show in a decade. What was the number? A 1-share. That number back in the day would have likely meant the show would have been pulled off the air. Now, it means it is a hit. How times have changed.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-19-2023 at 06:36 AM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 07:53 AM   #4015
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Decision on 'Rust' shooting charges to be made Thursday

I'm no lawyer but I can't imagine they charge him.
Old 01-19-2023, 10:22 AM   #4016
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Decision on 'Rust' shooting charges to be made Thursday

I'm no lawyer but I can't imagine they charge him.

I didn't think they would either.

Alec Baldwin to be charged with involuntary manslaughter in 'Rust’ film shooting
Old 01-19-2023, 10:28 AM   #4017
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

Couple of thoughts: Seems like the DA is just trying to make sure he's not seen as letting Baldwin off the hook rather than seeking justice. It should be pretty easy to verify Baldwin's claims that you can fan the hammer back to a point where a gun like this can fire without pulling the trigger BUT, I don't really think that should matter. WHY is there a live round in that gun or anywhere near that set? That seems to me like the only question.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 10:39 AM   #4018
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
This isn't really streaming, but the new Nightcourt debut as NBC highest comedy show in a decade. What was the number? A 1-share. That number back in the day would have likely meant the show would have been pulled off the air. Now, it means it is a hit. How times have changed.

I miss the old Night Court. I can’t believe they’re all gone save for a small few.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 10:42 AM   #4019
molson
General Manager

I'm sad that there's so many dead Night Court alum that can't make cameos....
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 10:51 AM   #4020
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Couple of thoughts: Seems like the DA is just trying to make sure he's not seen as letting Baldwin off the hook rather than seeking justice. It should be pretty easy to verify Baldwin's claims that you can fan the hammer back to a point where a gun like this can fire without pulling the trigger BUT, I don't really think that should matter. WHY is there a live round in that gun or anywhere near that set? That seems to me like the only question.

I don't know the state statutes there, or what conduct the charging document is alleging constitutes this crime, but I'd be concerned if I was an actor that I have some responsibility to perform safety checks on dangerous props I'm working with, that I might not no knowledge of at all, whether that be guns, cars, the construction of sets, whatever.

Unless it's related to the armorer hiring decision under New Mexico law.
Old 01-19-2023, 11:45 AM   #4021
bob
College Starter

Quote:

I enjoyed the original. I could not get through half of the pilot episode of this reboot.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 02:00 PM   #4022
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I'm sad that there's so many dead Night Court alum that can't make cameos....

I didn't realize Harry Anderson had died. He was so good on that show.

Is night court a real thing? If it is, I'd watch the real thing if someone put a camera up in one.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 04:54 PM   #4023
molson
General Manager

I don't know if night court is a real thing. Maybe in New York. But I vaguely remember Googling it late one night in law school 20 years ago to figure out if it was something I should try to apply to do.
Old 01-19-2023, 05:37 PM   #4024
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Is night court a real thing? If it is, I'd watch the real thing if someone put a camera up in one.

It is indeed a real thing, though it does seem to be a particularly NYC institution.

Started back in 1907, it now appears in some tourist recommendations as something to see which really isn't new since reportedly John D. Rockefeller used to attend for entertainment.
Old 01-20-2023, 09:16 AM   #4025
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The internet seems united in that they all want to stand behind Alec Baldwin.
Old 01-20-2023, 09:26 AM   #4026
Edward64
Head Coach

I don’t think actors should be responsible for the guns they are given on set.

If he shot a blank against someone’s head (see Brandon Lee) then yeah. But no way he would have known there was live ammo in there.

The armorer, weapons person gets most of the fault.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 11:13 AM   #4027
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah, it seems like that is on the armorer, not that actor. How's an actor going to be able to tell the difference between a real bullet and a blank?

Last edited by Kodos : 01-20-2023 at 11:20 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 11:18 AM   #4028
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
The internet seems united in that they all want to stand behind Alec Baldwin.

Doesn't matter if it is Alec Baldwin or Tim Allen. The actor should have no blame in this type of matter.
Old 01-20-2023, 11:57 AM   #4029
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I haven't read the specifics on this or how they are defining what his reckless disregard of life was, but isn't it complicated by the fact that he was a producer? I swear I remember hearing way back in the aftermath of the shooting that there were corners cut and laws not strictly followed.

I don't know if that's true, but I'm assuming that when you put his obligations/responsibilities as a producer into this, that he on some level knew they were cutting costs or corners with the laws, and that as the actor he was holding the gun - and they can show that he was lying when he said he never pulled the trigger, presumably from an analysis of the gun showing it would be impossible for it to go off without someone pulling the trigger - that all of that adds up to criminal culpability.

I don't know if it's enough to convict him, but I think his expanded role is part of it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 01:03 PM   #4030
Edward64
Head Coach

Okay I can see as producer, making sure he hired competent people, didn’t cut corners etc. that makes more sense vs him as actor pulling the trigger. Even then, if the armorer was certified/credentialized/union member I’d still say armorer has majority fault.

Yeah, him lying gets him some points deducted also.
Old 01-20-2023, 01:21 PM   #4031
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Okay I can see as producer, making sure he hired competent people, didn’t cut corners etc. that makes more sense vs him as actor pulling the trigger. Even then, if the armorer was certified/credentialized/union member I’d still say armorer has majority fault.

Yeah, him lying gets him some points deducted also.
My understanding he also knew there was some people on set using live ammo in those guns. That should have never happened on set, and as a producer adds to his culpability. I think involuntary manslaughter is probably about right. I can see him taking a plea and possibly not spending any reaL time in jail as well.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 10:32 PM   #4032
Edward64
Head Coach

Cobra Kai s6 is the last one.

It was fun seeing the old group but prob should have ended at s4. All the whiny teenage angst got real old. Much of the fighting moves were for real so appreciated that. But Macchio should be ashamed he did not prepare better.
Old 01-22-2023, 08:28 PM   #4033
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Anyone seen That 90s Show yet? This one was a surprise. As much as I liked the original 5 seasons of That 70s show (and just pretend the last 3 never existed) I"m thinking it will probably be lame. Just glad most of the original cast will be making appearances. I hope there is a lot of those appearances.

And Kitty and Red being regulars it has a better chance to survive and at least have a nice nostalgia arc.
Fez is a hairstylist in town, Jackie and Kelso are married with a son and Kelso's daughter from Brooke also there and the main character is Eric and Donna's daughter.
Old 01-23-2023, 06:58 AM   #4034
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I've tried to model my parenting style as a combination of Red's and Calvin's father from Calvin & Hobbes.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 09:19 AM   #4035
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I've tried to model my parenting style as a combination of Red's and Calvin's father from Calvin & Hobbes.

For the most part, you're not alone.

Also, saw The Menu, on HBO this week. Might be the best movie I've seen for storytelling and interest. Better than Glass Onion for sure. If you've ever worked on food service you'll get it. Great movie.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 09:35 AM   #4036
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Bad Batch season 2 started and I feel like they’ve done a better job of making Omega less annoying. Still a fun watch regardless.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 08:00 AM   #4037
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Watched the second episode of The Last of Us. All I really have to eat for breakfast at the moment is toast, but I'm really not feeling it right now.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:10 AM   #4038
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Watched the second episode of The Last of Us. All I really have to eat for breakfast at the moment is toast, but I'm really not feeling it right now.

That was one hot kiss!
Old 01-26-2023, 06:30 PM   #4039
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I don't watch new scripted shows/movies at all, but I'll probably make an exception for this show coming to Peacock in January. I don't know anything about Rian Johnson or Natasha Lyonne other than they are both huge Columbo fans, and this show is supposed to basically be the Columbo reboot that would have been too difficult to do under the Columbo name.

That may be way too promising an intro, but I'll definitely be giving it a shot seeing as though Columbo is my favorite show of all time.

This dropped today on Peacock. I'm breaking a nearly 20 year drought of watching new scripted shows for this (I don't count Mindhunter since it was based on a true story), so it better live up to expectations. It's kinda funny though that I recognize maybe one or two of the "guest stars." Might as well be a 20 year old watching Columbo today and trying to figure out why the guest stars were so famous way back when.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-26-2023, 07:14 PM   #4040
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post

I endorse at least the former part of this. My recollection is too fuzzy to have a strong opinion on the latter half.
Old 01-26-2023, 07:39 PM   #4041
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Decided to rewatch Friday Night Lights.

First episode, good Lord, I forgot how amazing TV can be. It is insane how good the first episode of this show is.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 08:15 PM   #4042
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I endorse at least the former part of this. My recollection is too fuzzy to have a strong opinion on the latter half.

The part of Calvin's Dad's parenting style I have mainly adopted is the practice of just making shit up, regardless of whether you know the answer or not.

"Why is the sky blue?"
"All the cobalt dust in the upper atmosphere."

"What happens if I kick this soccer ball and hit the front of your car?"
"Pretty good chance it'll explode, given that's where the gas tank is."

Etc....

It's harder now that they're 11 and 14, as opposed to 5 and 8, but not impossible.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 09:26 PM   #4043
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Anyone seen That 90s Show yet? This one was a surprise. As much as I liked the original 5 seasons of That 70s show (and just pretend the last 3 never existed) I"m thinking it will probably be lame. Just glad most of the original cast will be making appearances. I hope there is a lot of those appearances.

And Kitty and Red being regulars it has a better chance to survive and at least have a nice nostalgia arc.
Fez is a hairstylist in town, Jackie and Kelso are married with a son and Kelso's daughter from Brooke also there and the main character is Eric and Donna's daughter.

When you love the old one as much as I do, it's going to take some time to get the characters into the right feel. Red and Kitty have so much chemistry still and the writing is still on point. It just feels a little forced, but you know, it probably has to in order to have a shot of getting the right momentum to keep going.

We're 3 episodes in and while it takes a bit, it's got about as much in common with the 90's as that 70s show had with the 70s. Having grown up in the 90s I think that does make it harder to connect with. However, there's still the joy of just enjoying the show.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 07:47 PM   #4044
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Night Court reboot is pretty decent.
Old 02-01-2023, 12:47 PM   #4045
stevew
Hall Of Famer

“You People” was an ok movie. Some of it was hilarious. And some was unfunny cringe. Guessing a lesser known director would have done better. Kenya Barris shoots for the middle too much and needed to be told no a lot more.
Old 02-01-2023, 02:39 PM   #4046
Ksyrup

If this is true, Netflix can suck it. Does this mean that every single device I may watch Netflix on has to be signed in and "watched" at least once a month so that it is a trusted device? Give me a fucking break.

Also, the "workaround" for traveling to be able to use your Netflix account is horseshit as well. Ask the company for a temporary code that is good for only 7 days? What the hell? I suppose if people travel too much Netflix is going to decide that too many requests for a temporary code is suspicious and start denying requests.

Confirmed: Netflix Unveils First Details of New Anti-Password Sharing Measures – The Streamable
Old 02-01-2023, 02:57 PM   #4047
Ksyrup

Dola.

I just can't believe that is the system they've set up after this much deliberation. What about college kids? They are part of the household, but if they don't come home every month, they can't watch - and even then, it would basically only be mobile devices since they aren't bringing 40 inch smart TVs home every month to sign in. Just idiotic.

Honestly, this will probably make me cancel Netflix if true. I don't use it that much, it's mostly for the kids. I can wait until there are 3 or 4 things I want to watch, subscribe for a month, and then shut it off again.
Old 02-01-2023, 03:53 PM   #4048
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Wow. That does seem pretty onerous.

I could easily go more than 31 days without firing up Netflix depending on what I'm watching at the time.

So, now I have to make sure that I watch something on Netflix (once a month) on my Roku, Roku TV, Smart TV, my iPad and my wife's iPad to avoid getting locked out.

Great!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 04:10 PM   #4049
Ksyrup

That's how I read it, but that's not the official policy from Netflix so I'm hoping it's at least partially wrong. At best, I fire up Netflix once a month on one device - and sometimes it's longer than that.
Old 02-01-2023, 05:08 PM   #4050
RainMaker
General Manager

That seems really weird. What if you aren't on a static IP? What if you use multiple devices?

Feels like the easier fix is to just not allow simultaneous streams.

Honestly, I use it when I travel and if it becomes a pain to get temporary passwords and such, I'll just cancel outright.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote