Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-24-2022, 10:41 PM   #7551
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Top Gun 2 - 8/10

Re-watched it now that it's streaming on Paramount.

I am still annoyed at some of the cheesy elements (e.g. 80's based graphics) and some breakdown in logic that defies basic common sense ... but still, what a movie.

I'll change my rating to 8.5/10 since I've watched it 5+ times and still enjoy it.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 08:56 PM   #7552
Edward64
Head Coach

Northmen - 6/10

Somewhat disappointing, I was expecting more.

Action was good but plot & believability is somewhat lacking. It tossed in a draugr which I appreciated, fond memories of Skyrim.
Old 12-29-2022, 02:40 PM   #7553
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Black Adam is really dumb.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 03:11 PM   #7554
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Black Adam is really dumb.

Yeah, not sure what they were going for here. Part of the problem is The Rock is the same character in every movie.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 06:44 PM   #7555
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Confess, Fletch- 7/10
Fletch was one my favorite movies as a teenager. I haven't watched it in years, and I doubt it has aged well. This version with John Hamm has a different feel, but it was still quite fun. Great to see him and John Slattery on the screen together again. Absolutely adored Detective Gris.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 03:25 AM   #7556
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Yeah, not sure what they were going for here. Part of the problem is The Rock is the same character in every movie.

It was one of those movies where I had no idea whether I was in the beginning or middle when I turned it on. Just some incredibly bad writing and acting. Every character was a worse rip off of some existing on screen marvel character. Like I don’t know or care if the DC guys came first actually but literally I was referring to them as “not Ant Man”, “not falcon” and “not Dr Strange” in my head.
Old 01-02-2023, 03:15 PM   #7557
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Indiana Jones looks interesting. Really hope it turns out well and gives Harrison Ford and fans a nice closure.

Nice.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-02-2023 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-22-2023, 02:17 PM   #7558
Edward64
Head Coach

Really fun movie. Love the new environment, the action was pretty good, ‘nuff said about special effects etc. The kids were annoying but can see how they were integral to the plot. A couple times I remember thinking, that’s not realistic, and then realizing yup, that how kids could (re)act.

I look forward to Avatar 3 but let’s not make us wait 10+ years.
Old 01-26-2023, 09:18 PM   #7559
PilotMan
Head Coach

Everything, Everywhere, All at Once - 8.5/10

One of the rare new movies that's come out with some creativity and new ideas and concepts. Just so much in there that made it entertaining. This was not one of those movies you could just partially pay attention to and still keep up with it, and it's a movie you don't want to do that to.

The end really hit home for the Mrs and I right now, and our son who wants to rebel against everything. You can really see why it was so well received. One of those movies like Scott Pilgrim that has so much going on over and over again, but is fully entertaining all along the way, and you can watch it many times and not get bored. Really enjoyed it.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 06:21 AM   #7560
GrantDawg

Quote:

Really fun movie. Love the new environment, the action was pretty good, ‘nuff said about special effects etc. The kids were annoying but can see how they were integral to the plot. A couple times I remember thinking, that’s not realistic, and then realizing yup, that how kids could (re)act.

I look forward to Avatar 3 but let’s not make us wait 10+ years.
Cameron is shooting the next two together, and they will be released two years apart. He says it takes the full two years just for post-production on those movies. My guess is the first one is 4 years out.
Old 01-31-2023, 05:46 PM   #7561
Edward64
Head Coach

Babylon - 5/10

I was bored. It was interesting to get an insight on the shift from silent screen to sound, something I’ve not thought about before. And I get the orgies are to reflect the gilded age but some scenes were too gratuitous (did we need the peeing).

But like reading The Great Gatsby in HS, I was bored.
Old 02-01-2023, 05:57 PM   #7562
Edward64
Head Coach

Plane - 6.5/10

Gerard Butler is always entertaining (who doesn’t like a lot of shooting the bad guys) but doesn’t always pick the best script. Plane is one of them.

Not much character depth at all, some unbelievable situations etc. action was good but wish there was more. Cost me about $3 so can’t complain much.
Old 02-02-2023, 12:32 PM   #7563
Edward64
Head Coach

Puss in Boots - 7/10

Pretty fun following same formula. If kids were young, I’d add this to the blu-ray collection during BF.

The ending hinted at a reunion with Shrek. I’d like that.
Old 02-02-2023, 01:18 PM   #7564
GrantDawg

Did you know the original Shrek was Chris Farley? They had the whole movie almost completely done when he died. I would love to hear some of that.
Old 02-02-2023, 01:53 PM   #7565
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Did you know the original Shrek was Chris Farley? They had the whole movie almost completely done when he died. I would love to hear some of that.

Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 06:17 PM   #7566
Edward64
Head Coach

Did not know that!

He was great. That Chippendales SNL scene with Patrick Swayze …
Old 02-02-2023, 09:34 PM   #7567
Critch
lolzcat

The Banshees of Inisherin - 9/10

Thought it was great. Strange story, great dialogue, great acting, Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, Kerry Condon and Barry Keoghan all deserve their Oscar best actor/supporting actor/supporting actress nominations.

Easily the best of the three nominated movies I've seen.

On that topic All Quiet on the Western Front 7/10 (too much action, not enough character development) and Everything, Everywhere, All at Once 3/10 (pish).
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 12:12 AM   #7568
Edward64
Head Coach

The Fablemans - 7/10

It’s a little boring but still found myself interested in how some situations played out. It’s a ‘charming’ movie.
Old 02-04-2023, 09:16 PM   #7569
Critch
lolzcat

Tar - either 7/10 or 8/10. Cant make up my mind, would go for 7.5/10 but decimals are for indecisive people.

Enjoyed it a lot more than I expected after the first 20 mins anyway. Well made, good acting. Story of the female conductor of a Berlin orchestra who gets herself #metoo-ed.

Wasnt til I wiki-ed afterwards that I realized it wasnt a true story. A solid second place in my list of Best Picture nominees.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 08:12 PM   #7570
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

This should go over well:

AMC Theatres to Price Movie Tickets Based on Seat Location - Variety
Old 02-06-2023, 09:56 PM   #7571
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

I assume this means you actually reserve actual seats and not just an area where first come first serve.

Pretty standard in Asia and Australia. I don’t mind it.
Old 02-06-2023, 10:11 PM   #7572
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I have attempted to go to all of two movies in the year or so since they switched over to assigned seating near me & both times it resulted in us saying 'fuck this' and walking away. Both instances the theater was both smaller and fuller than we would have liked & in hindsight I guess I wouldn't have known that unless I was going through the assigned seating process, but it didn't real feel like any kind of favor at the time.

I guess the real issue is those tiny theaters that they are jamming into the megaplexes these days. When the display showed me there was only like 4 rows in the whole theater, it's like why even bother?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 05:32 AM   #7573
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I assume this means you actually reserve actual seats and not just an area where first come first serve.

Pretty standard in Asia and Australia. I don’t mind it.

I don’t think so. I think most major theater chains, if not all, now have assigned seating. First come first serve likely only exists in independent movie theaters. I think they are saying that AMC is looking to charge more for seats in the middle of the theater - those central to the screen and not too far back or too close - than others.

Currently, all seats cost the same - the crappy ones right up front and the good ones. They’re looking to change that.

Reserved seating is the best. I do not miss the days of having to stand in line or show up super early to get good seats or to ensure you get seats together. Nowadays I can buy tickets days, if not weeks in advance, and just roll in right when the trailers are about to begin and know I got prime seats.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 06:13 AM   #7574
GrantDawg

The last time I went an AMC theater was such a horrible experience that this just makes it easier for me to keep my vow to never go back.
Old 02-07-2023, 06:28 AM   #7575
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Reserved seating is the best. We always sit on the aisle and I buy the seat next to me to make sure I don’t have to sit next to anyone.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 07:19 AM   #7576
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I agree, reserved seating is amazing. Also love the recliner-style seats that accompany it at a couple of the theaters in my city.

Variable pricing, though? Screw that. Leave those shenanigans to the airlines, please.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 07:23 AM   #7577
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Dola

I saw Puss in Boots on the weekend with the kids. I hadn't seen the first, and went in with no knowledge of the movie, aside from it being 'the cat from Shrek'. I was not expecting much, tbh.

I was pleasantly surprised! The story was solid and the visuals were amazing! The use of painted-style art for the action sequences was really great and won me over instantly.

I really love the direction animated movies have been going since Into the Spider-verse. After years of relatively generic 3d animation we now have visual treats like it, Arcane, and now Puss in Boots. I look forward to the Spider-Verse sequel and to see where this trend goes over the next few years.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:25 AM   #7578
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Reserved seating is the best. We always sit on the aisle and I buy the seat next to me to make sure I don’t have to sit next to anyone.

Wow! That extra seat play is a Big Time move! I like it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-07-2023, 09:51 AM   #7579
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Reserved seating is the best. I do not miss the days of having to stand in line or show up super early to get good seats or to ensure you get seats together. Nowadays I can buy tickets days, if not weeks in advance, and just roll in right when the trailers are about to begin and know I got prime seats.

It's also great to see exactly how crowded a showing is in real-time.

My Regal Unlimited subscription is my very best value entertainment product I purchase. It ends up costing us $4 or $5 a movie, almost always in a row to ourselves, a row that nobody else ever wants for some reason. The first row in the main section, which is still far enough back to be comfortable. Nothing in front of us except unlimited legroom, the big entryway space, and then the random empty front 2-row section. I love our Regal. I sweat a little every time they announce closures, but, our location seems to do well and it's the only one for hundreds of miles.

Last edited by molson : 02-07-2023 at 09:59 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 10:10 AM   #7580
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Wow! That extra seat play is a Big Time move! I like it.

It’s a game changer. Totally worth the $9 to make sure not only do I not have to sit next to some rando, but it gives us a place to put our coats, etc.
Old 02-07-2023, 10:57 AM   #7581
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
It’s a game changer. Totally worth the $9 to make sure not only do I not have to sit next to some rando, but it gives us a place to put our coats, etc.

Not a bad way to spend your gambling largess!
Old 02-07-2023, 10:43 PM   #7582
PilotMan
Head Coach

Knock At the Cabin - 7/10

Enjoyable. Tight, small cast. Focused on the 7 main characters. Interesting plot. Reminds me a bit of an adapted short story. Loved Dave Bautista. Not earth shattering. Better than some of the shitty reviews I've seen. Moved quickly.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 07:24 PM   #7583
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I think it is an adapted short story?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 07:24 PM   #7584
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Yeah, The Cabin at the End of the World: The Cabin at the End of the World - Wikipedia
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 05:37 AM   #7585
Edward64
Head Coach

Nope - 4/10 (?) but will try again later

I stopped watching after 20+ min of complete boredom. I googled to see if I was alone and this seems to be one of those love it or hate it movies.
Old 02-23-2023, 06:29 AM   #7586
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Saw the new Any Man movie with the family the other day. I am not a superhero fan but I enjoyed it. I full well went in planning on having a nice 2 hour nap and ended up watching the whole thing.
Old 02-23-2023, 06:34 AM   #7587
Edward64
Head Coach

Black Adam - 6/10

Not sure who the Rock is using to get him movie roles but he should fire that person.

Dragged on, minimally entertaining. Rated a 6 because of the special effects, and far below par of what you'd think the Rock could get.
Old 02-28-2023, 01:07 PM   #7588
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Cocaine Bear - 7/10

Utterly preposterous but it's a movie that I find myself smiling about days later.

The pacing drags a bit after a wildly fun opening 10-15 minutes as they introduce the main characters. That said, once things get going, there is some really good tension, a lot of laughs and some pretty good gore and violence sprinkled in as well. It was a blast watching with a full theatre.

I'm guessing this will be a polarizing movie where some think it's terrible and some go back and watch multiple times. I'm kind of in the middle but ultimately, I enjoyed it and found it to be a lot of fun.

I won't be surprised if they make this into a franchise, assuming it benefits from positive word of mouth.

Last edited by NoSkillz : 02-28-2023 at 01:08 PM.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 10:41 PM   #7589
Atocep
Coordinator

I've been waiting 20 years for an attractive place to properly discuss Movie Pirates of the Caribbean with a very large number of people.

Last edited by Atocep : 02-28-2023 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-01-2023, 06:28 AM   #7590
Edward64
Head Coach

Devotion - 7/10

Watched it last night, it is free on Paramount. I went in expecting a war movie and lots of action but it was more about Jesse Brown, his relationship with his wingman, his relationship with his wife, and what they/he had to go through to become the first black naval aviator circa Korean War.

Some nice action scenes especially with the Corsairs (prop) vs Mig jet which I've never seen in movies before. Also some scenes of Marines in Chosin.

At the end, it showed a pic of Jesse's granddaughter and Wingman's grandson and stated how they are still friends today.

Good pic. Not one that I'd rewatch anytime soon but definitely worth your while to check out.
Old 03-01-2023, 07:14 AM   #7591
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
Cocaine Bear - 7/10
I won't be surprised if they make this into a franchise, assuming it benefits from positive word of mouth.

The studio that made Sharknado has already announced "Meth Gator"
Old 03-01-2023, 07:52 AM   #7592
Kodos
Resident Alien

I thought Cocaine Bear was fun, but it needed a higher body count.
Old 03-01-2023, 09:07 AM   #7593
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I've been waiting 20 years for an attractive place to properly discuss Movie Pirates of the Caribbean with a very large number of people.

Did you turn into a bot account?
Old 03-01-2023, 09:34 AM   #7594
Kodos
Resident Alien

I don't know that FOFC has a very large number of people.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 09:37 AM   #7595
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I guess ChatGPT got ahold of Atocep's account.

That said, if we want to talk PotC

PotC 1 is amazing. One of the most fun movies of this young century. Depp is amazing and creates a new character archetype, the type of acting performance that should be nominated or win for awards even if in an unconventional role. He absolutely deserved his Oscar nod for it.

PotC 2 is a bit of a stumble back, even when grading on the sequel curve. Not awful but has some holes and a goofy tone that doesn't quite fit.

PotC 3 is terribly underrated. It has great set pieces, good resolutions to most of our character arcs, and a much better tone. It's overlong and there are some odd (Jack's crab scene) and cringey (the Singapore stuff) scenes. It's a quality epic to end the trilogy, even if the last two movies didn't really set out to be.

PotC 4 falls off a cliff. Badly. Dumpster fire.

PotC 5 is a decent start on what PotC 4 should have been if the world had been begging for a PotC 4. It was not.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-01-2023 at 09:37 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 09:39 AM   #7596
stevew
Hall Of Famer

There was some bot account he was responding to.

I don’t remember anything about the POTC movies. They’re like the Transformers series. Not sure when I even stopped watching.
Old 03-01-2023, 10:28 AM   #7597
Kodos
Resident Alien

I didn't enjoy the first PotC movie, and basically avoided the rest of them.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 10:29 AM   #7598
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Apparently the bot I responded to lost posts.

Last edited by Atocep : 03-01-2023 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-04-2023, 05:06 AM   #7599
Edward64
Head Coach

New Alien movie on the way.

It doesn't seem to movie #3 in the Prometheus/Covenant world (really want to find out what's the deal with those Engineers). Short on details but looks to be underway.

https://collider.com/new-alien-movie-cast/
Quote:
Plot details are also scarce, with only a very vague description of the plot of the film. In the film, which has previously gone under the working title Alien: Romulus, a group of young people find themselves facing down the most horrifying life forms in the known universe, presumably the Xenomorphs, on a foreign planet. It represents a bit of a departure from the more adult, militaristic settings of the previous films, instead seemingly putting the focus on the less-experienced, younger survivors as they try to fend off the Xenomorphs and their vicious facehuggers.
Also, a TV series from FX

Quote:
Things are getting exciting for the Alien franchise with this project getting underway. There's also a TV series in the works from Noah Hawley at FX
Old 03-08-2023, 10:15 AM   #7600
Edward64
Head Coach

Watching some John Wick 4 trailers. Looks great

March 24