Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-26-2022, 08:58 AM   #851
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I've just started this myself. I asked for the first couple books for Xmas last year and I just got around to reading it. I'm on page 80 or so.

Nearly a year later and I finally finished the Color of Magic. The series has 41 books in it. So at this pace I will have finished the series around the time the Lions win their next playoff game.
Old 08-26-2022, 10:43 AM   #852
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Nearly a year later and I finally finished the Color of Magic. The series has 41 books in it. So at this pace I will have finished the series around the time the Lions win their next playoff game.

I still haven't made it through The Wheel of Time series, so I feel you here. Middle of Book 12(?) right now where Sanderson takes over.
Old 08-26-2022, 10:52 AM   #853
cuervo72
Head Coach

I am reading The Devil in Velvet by John Dickson Carr, Medieval and Early Modern Times: The Age of Justinian to the Eighteenth Century ('60s textbook I found at Goodwill), and Fourteen Great Detective Stories, a compilation from the late '40s. A bit halfway through each, more or less. (There are also some long-term or stalled reads on my list which I may or may not eventually return to.)

Last completed book was Drew Magary's The Night the Lights Went Out. Finally picked it up at the library. Need to get started on Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead (Tokarczuk), also from the library and due in a week. (Suppose I may have to renew that.)
Old 08-26-2022, 03:14 PM   #854
sabotai
General Manager

I was pretty underwhelmed by The Color of Magic. I did recently hear Brandon Sanderson and Dan Wells say on one of their recent podcasts to not start with it. I still liked it well enough that I plan to read more.

I've been reading mostly non-fiction recently.

1491 - Charles C. Mann - About what life was like in the Americas right before Columbus (~25% through it)

Pacific Crucible - Ian W. Toll - Book 1 of a 3 book series on the Pacific War. Book 1 covers 1941-1942. (~40% through it)

Liar, Temptress, Soldier, Spy - Karen Abbott - The story of four women (2 union, 2 confederate) during the civil war who worked as spies for their side. (~40% through it)

Recently Finished:

Why Nations Fail - Daron Acemoğlu, James A. Robinson - An examination of economic success or failure of states, arguing that above all other factors, "inclusive" economic and political systems/institutions lead to prosperity while "excusive" institutions lead to poverty.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 03:59 PM   #855
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Looking over the last few months. I tend to alternate between a run of older literature and one of modern literature.

Older:

Anthony Trollope: The Way We Live Now, moving on into the Barsetshire series. Trollope holds up well - great sense of satire, skewers everyone. Another writer from that time period who holds up is Wilkie Collins, who is a little more hopeful, but a great advocate of standing up to injustice.

Laura Z. Hobson: Gentlemen's Agreement. The movie won plenty of awards. It's a very close adaptation of Hobson's novel. The levels of internal conflict, something the movie couldn't completely relate, make this a great read. I went on to read First Papers, which is somewhat autobiographical about Hobson's childhood. Long, but very solid and a lot less preachy than you'd expect.

David Guterson: Snow Falling on Cedars. A very, very slow-placed novel, but if you can get past that, a novel that explicitly addresses treatment of Japanese Americans during WWII, but is far more ranging.

Arthur Golden: Memoirs of a Geisha. I didn't really like it. Kudos for a long look at a culture we'd never otherwise understand, but it could have been a lot deeper.

Agatha Christie: And Then There Were None. Renamed a couple of times for obvious reasons. I don't get the Christie love at all. Every time I try, I end up disappointed. This one, at least, doesn't have Poirot, who is a poor imitation of Sherlock Holmes. Same ludicrous plotting, though. "You just don't understand the classic detective novel." Yeah, classic this, buddy. Go read Wilkie Collins' The Moonstone and tell me about classics. That one I'll read again some day.

Umberto Eco: The Name of the Rose. I almost never give up on a novel. This one had me so painfully bored I only made it 10% through. For those who don't mind, this seems to end up on a lot of "best novel ever" lists.

Newer:

Kate Quinn: The Huntress and The Rose Code. Quinn has moved on from Roman times and Henry VIII times to WWII. I haven't read any of the older stuff, but The Rose Code (about Bletchley Park/cracking the Engima) and The Huntress (bringing Nazi war criminals to justice) were fantastic reads. Quinn's formula is telling the stories about exceptional women during the most difficult of times. Great writer, somewhat repetitive, but the formula works.

Jonathan Franzen: Crossroads. I'd read anything Franzen writes the minute it becomes available. This is the first of what promises to be a series about a family connected to the clergy, but also post-Vietnam sentiment. Not his best novel, but still among the best of what's out there today.

Cloud Cuckoo Land: Anthony Doerr. A huge disappointment after the incredible All the Light We Cannot See. But worth reading. Very intricately crafted plot across multiple timelines, moving in different directions and let's not forget the mandonkeycrowowleaglething.

Richard Russo: Straight Man. I've read a lot of Russo's work. Fun, light, imperfect heroes in a world no one can take seriously. This one pokes academia quite effectively. It's about an English professor written about the time my dad (who was an English professor for 40 years) died, so it had more meaning for me.

Blake Crouch: Upgrade. I appreciate that Crouch tries to write somewhat serious non-scientific science fiction. But it's a hard genre if you want to go deeper than Asimov or Heinlein. Which Crouch tries, and I think fails. I like turning the pages on his novels, but when I'm done, I'm frustrated.

Fredrik Backman: Anxious People. Backman (translated) has this style that pokes fun at the unreliable narrator, but he's on your side. Nothing like it out there today. If you've read the Beartown books (a third is coming out in English next month), it's like that, but more urban. One of my favorite modern authors.

Peng Shepherd: The Cartographers. Currently in the middle of this one - seems to be a standard fantasy fiction, set in the world of map-making. I'm not really enjoying it. Coming right off of Quinn, Shepherd's writing seems awkward - it's sometimes difficult to see what her narrators are seeing.

Last edited by Solecismic : 08-26-2022 at 04:02 PM.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 05:21 PM   #856
cuervo72
Head Coach

I read Trollope's The Warden after picking up a copy of Barchester Towers from my local used bookstore's dollar shelf. Enjoyed it, but have gotten sidetracked and haven't actually gotten back to the series.

The Woman in White was one of the early books from my reintroduction to reading. Also enjoyable, but long. Have a copy of The Moonstone somewhere. But I have bought a lot of used books during the pandemic, so we'll see when I get to it (same goes for Geisha).
Old 08-26-2022, 08:42 PM   #857
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Fredrik Backman: Anxious People. Backman (translated) has this style that pokes fun at the unreliable narrator, but he's on your side. Nothing like it out there today. If you've read the Beartown books (a third is coming out in English next month), it's like that, but more urban. One of my favorite modern authors.
+1 for Fredrik Backman. The Beartown series and A Man Called Ove have been some of my favorite reads.
Old 09-12-2022, 11:23 PM   #858
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

For a new take on the age-old impossibility of time travel problem, Emily St. John Mandel's Sea of Tranquility. I really enjoyed this one, and it's relatively short if length is an issue.

I'm hoping to get Backman's The Winners as soon as it's out in a couple of weeks. Got a good place in the library queue, but only so many available state-wide. I tried to get a review copy on Netgalley a couple of months ago, but I haven't done enough reviews yet to attract their attention for the big releases.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 07:33 PM   #859
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
11/22/63, Stephen King.

Fits the pattern of a lot of King novels - great build-up and a 'what just happened?' ending. In this case, having the ending be so abrupt kind of made sense in the context of what was going on, unlike some of his other works where he gets about 600 pages in and says "and they all lived happily ever after...or not."

I'm actually surprised, between this and Under the Dome. I thought he was in semi-retirement, but he keeps cranking out these fairly hefty books.

Just saw this book landing on a "banned book" list and... I'm at a loss. It has time travel, some gambling, and... idano... a bit of violence? What am I missing?

Nary a transsexual or critical rale theorist insight, that I can recall...
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 07:58 PM   #860
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Well, it is about trying to PREVENT the assassination of a Democratic President. They don't want kids to get the idea that is a good thing.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-16-2023 at 07:59 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 01:10 PM   #861
cuervo72
Head Coach

Man, do they hate Toni Morrison.

Just finished Becoming (M. Obama - younger child's coworker offered it up, figured what the heck), then The Ides of March (Wilder), then A Bell for Adano (Hersey). Figured I'd stay in Italy with Corelli's Mandolin (Bernieres).

Also (partly for trivia purposes), I am thinking of tackling the Narnia series. I assume I should start with Lion/Witch/Wardrobe (i.e. go chronological by release)?
Old 01-24-2023, 01:52 PM   #862
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

I'm reading Shakespeare for Squirrels, by Christopher Moore. I love his stuff. And Just finished Spitfire by M.L. Huie... A good spy story by someone I went to school with. There' a Sequel called Nightshade that's on my reading list.
Old 01-24-2023, 02:07 PM   #863
cuervo72
Head Coach

I read Moore's Lamb; I liked it overall but man, some of the gags seemed pretty sophomoric/crude/dated. (Granted, it is 20 years old now and "different time" and all that.)
Old 01-24-2023, 04:07 PM   #864
bronconick
College Starter

Thought the first part of the Handmaid's Tale would be required reading.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 11:02 AM   #865
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I only needed 5 months to read the sequel. I'm getting better at this reading thing. Now onto the next one!
Old 02-15-2023, 11:21 AM   #866
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I don't know what this "book" is, but given the author I want it.

'Calvin and Hobbes' creator Bill Watterson making a comeback, but not for a kids comic strip
Old 02-15-2023, 02:20 PM   #867
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
I only needed 5 months to read the sequel. I'm getting better at this reading thing. Now onto the next one!

I might tackle part of Discworld; I was a little leery given the number of books but I guess there is a pretty good reading order for the different story lines. Thinking Witches, right now.

Currently reading The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man. It's short. Finished On Beauty the other day, fun homage to Howard's End. How to Be an Antiracist probably up next, Nervous Conditions after that.
Old 03-24-2023, 01:14 PM   #868
Edward64
Head Coach

Struggling to finish book #4 Rhythm of War.

I finished the 4 book Alloy Series earlier this year. I had read the first 2 books in the Stormlight Archive years ago and just finished #3 Oathbringer after the Alloy books.

But book #4 is really dragging for me.

Somewhat concerning as Sanderson was always one of those comfort reads and he's the most consistent in churning out books. Maybe my tastes are changing and have to find someone else while waiting on Doors of Stone.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 02:09 PM   #869
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Currently reading The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man. It's short. Finished On Beauty the other day, fun homage to Howard's End. How to Be an Antiracist probably up next, Nervous Conditions after that.

4*, 5*, 5* were my Goodreads ratings for those. Insightful, and provided a bit of a comparison between racism in Zimbabwe and here (hint: not terribly different).

After that:
To Be Young, Gifted, and Black: An Informal Autobiography (Hansberry)
A very non-traditional format (it was presented on-stage and with audio/video), but tremendous. 5*

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Smith)
Considered a modern classic; 4* here. Set in the 1910s but still applies.

The Guns of August (Tuchman)
Atlas of World War 2 (Natkiel)
First had a lot of words, second a lot of pictures. Both served to further my knowledge on two big wars a bit. (4*, NR)

Titus Groan (Peake)
Pseudo-medieval fantasy which I rated at 3*; story a bit weird but the characters were pretty memorable. Would go to 3.5 if GR could do that. The first of a three-part series, will get to Part II sometime.

House Made of Dawn (Momaday)
Pulitzer-winner. A bit trippy in parts. May have been one of the eariler novels to provide a Native American perspective, but I feel like I enjoyed Ceremony (Silko) and The Plague of Doves (Erdrich) more. 3*.

The Friend: A Novel (Nunez)
A book about death (suicide) and writing (and pets, I guess). Short, but concise can be good. 5*. Referenced multiple books/authors sitting on my shelf which I will queue up: O'Connor (Wise Blood), Coetzee (Disgrace, which Nunez specifically mentioned), Alexievich (Secondhand Time: The Last of the Soviets).

Last edited by cuervo72 : 04-07-2023 at 02:10 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 07:15 AM   #870
cuervo72
Head Coach

I had to slip Julian Barnes's The History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters before getting to Alexievich. Wise Blood and Disgrace were just so damned bleak, needed a palate cleanser.
Old 05-31-2023, 10:26 AM   #871
Thomkal
Head Coach

A heads up to fans of fantasy/sci-fi writer Will Wight. Today only (its an anniversary of some sort), on Amazon/Kindle you can get most/all of his ebooks for free. His now 12 or 13 book Cradle series are all free except latest, and has long been praised by litrpg readers. I've been trying to get through Book 1 for a while now, and its a bit slow in getting my interest perked, but you can't beat the price if you are a fan of his
Old 07-15-2023, 09:59 AM   #872
Edward64
Head Coach

Patrick Rothfuss new book confirmed out in Nov 2023.

... but no, it's not #3.

Sorry! Something went wrong!
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote