Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-26-2023, 08:29 AM   #24351
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I ha e In-N-Out but I hwve had Shake Shack and those were really good burgers. Are they that level?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 08:40 AM   #24352
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, I don't know that I get one burger place over another necessarily, assuming they are frying their burgers basically the same way from fresh meat. McDonalds is obviously different. But Steak and Shake, Culver's, In-N-Out, Freddy's (didn't know about these but ate at one in IN) are all basically good, right? Or like when Five Guys came around. People rave over them because they realize holy shit, McDonalds is total crap!
Old 01-26-2023, 08:54 AM   #24353
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Yeah, I don't know that I get one burger place over another necessarily, assuming they are frying their burgers basically the same way from fresh meat. McDonalds is obviously different. But Steak and Shake, Culver's, In-N-Out, Freddy's (didn't know about these but ate at one in IN) are all basically good, right? Or like when Five Guys came around. People rave over them because they realize holy shit, McDonalds is total crap!

Steak n Shake and Freddy's are pretty much the same burger. Decent enough meat, smashed flat to the point of being see through and often overcooked unless the grill is manned by someone actually paying attention.

In n Out and Whattaburger are often compared I think, but the former is a thicker patty than the latter. You probably get more argument about who has superior fries, often the difference maker in someone's allegiance I think.

Culver's is a recent entry into the local market here, I think I've had maybe once years ago while traveling somewhere. Almost a hybrid between SnS and Freddy's sharing traits of each, but with the whole "butter burger" twist (bun is buttered and lightly toasted).

And 5 Guys is probably more it's own thing than any of the others mentioned, more closer to a chain version of the "premium burger" category than actual fast food.

As for similar vs different, I'd probably place these into at least 3 distinct categories. Which you prefer just comes down to what your priorities are, but to your question, no I don't think they're just one big category. There's enough differences among the sub-groups that you should notice some differences.
Old 01-26-2023, 08:58 AM   #24354
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Speaking of food, we are getting a Whataburger soon. They opened one north of Atlanta, and it made the news by causing huge traffic issues. Are they really that good?

They are in Woodstock and Kennesaw, may as well be Tennessee.
Old 01-26-2023, 09:25 AM   #24355
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
They are in Woodstock and Kennesaw, may as well be Tennessee.

10 more due by the end of this year, including Woodstock, Buford, Snellville, Athens, Dawsonville, and Commerce.
Old 01-26-2023, 10:32 AM   #24356
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, Five Guys is more upscale, but I figured I'd throw them in as an example of something that is not McD/BK that we actually have in the area. There are a couple of Steak&Shakes in DC/Baltimore, but nothing nearby. We had an Elevation Burger for a time, but that closed and was replaced by another place similar to but not Elevation Burger (same strip mall location), but that closed too. Other than that, nada. Culver's starts popping up in Ohio and has two locations in West Lafayette/Lafayette, so my wife presses to go there whenever we go out to Purdue because, well, ice cream.

(oh, Culver's is also down in Daytona thanks to snowbirds, I suppose)

Last edited by cuervo72 : 01-26-2023 at 10:33 AM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 10:48 AM   #24357
stevew
Hall Of Famer

McDonald’s Quarter Pounder is a good burger. I’d rather have Five Guys but it’s still good.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 11:01 AM   #24358
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

For regional chain wars (not so much the "is it the same" issue tho) let's not overlook the White Castle or Krystal debate that occurs now and then.

I think those only overlap in like Kentucky and Nashville, so they're mostly a "one or the other" division.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:11 AM   #24359
GrantDawg

I would say Krystal, but I really didn't see that big a difference between the two. I think there is generally more mustard on a Krystal burger.
Fries do make a difference to most people, but I can take fries or leave them. Shake Shack fries were disappointing, but those burgers were top notch.

Old 01-26-2023, 11:14 AM   #24360
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I would say Krystal, but I really didn't see that big a difference between the two. I think there is generally more mustard on a Krystal burger.
Fries do make a difference to most people, but I can take fries or leave them. Shake Shack fries were disappointing, but those burgers were top notch.

Krystal ruined their fries some time back, so that's a strike against but I'll take their burger as the winner there. Probably nothing more than it having set the category standard for me so it's what they're "supposed" to be like.

There's actually a local joint where I grew up who does their own version of those little squares & I might take those over either tbh.
Old 01-26-2023, 12:23 PM   #24361
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

This is accurate for me as well. I don't think we have ever sought out a burger place outside of a preference for some version of a Big Mac, a Whopper, or a Wendy's burger unless we are on vacation. They just built a Culver's within a mile of the house and my son has asked to go there on multiple occasions but I think that has more to do with how much he enjoys onion rings as opposed to the quality of burger there. I am not saying that I have not tasted a difference from a White Castle(from what I remember since it has been at least fifteen years since I tasted one) and a Five Guys burger for example. It is more a case of it's just a burger in my mind. I just need it to take up space in my stomach and not give me food poisoning.

Now fries on the other hand... let's just say I have gone through one drive thru to get a burger, chicken. etc and driven someplace else just to get an order of fries to go with it.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 12:37 PM   #24362
cuervo72
Head Coach

The only time we go to White Castle is, again, when we are in Lafayette. There's one right by the two hotels we typically stay at and have gone there when other things are closed. Again there is scant meat on those, but I do like them; probably because my reaction is mmm, sallllttttt.

Culver's is good for o-rings, which we get sometimes, but we almost always get cheese curds. Love cheese curds (though I'd say I like the ones at Sheetz better -- less breading/crunch and again, probably more salt. Sheetz though basically stops being an option once we're past Columbus.)
Old 01-26-2023, 02:14 PM   #24363
GrantDawg

Quote:
The only time we go to White Castle is, again, when we are in Lafayette. There's one right by the two hotels we typically stay at and have gone there when other things are closed. Again there is scant meat on those, but I do like them; probably because my reaction is mmm, sallllttttt.

Culver's is good for o-rings, which we get sometimes, but we almost always get cheese curds. Love cheese curds (though I'd say I like the ones at Sheetz better -- less breading/crunch and again, probably more salt. Sheetz though basically stops being an option once we're past Columbus.)
I still haven't tried Culver's. There is one in the nest town over, but I hardly ever get out that way anymore.
Krystals is just one of those taste that you crave sometimes. Also, cheap to buy a bag, and have some for several days. It was our go to on long drives when the kids were little. Buy a bag, and just snack on them as we go.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-27-2023 at 06:25 AM.
Old 01-26-2023, 03:57 PM   #24364
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

They closed our Krystal's 2 years ago... I assume it's because my mom is getting older and makes us come visit her, so no one went to the Krystal's any more. She also loves Steak and Shake, which is pretty much the same burger as Culver's. No idea how S&S is still open here, although their chili and a coke is great if you're out late at night.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 04:10 PM   #24365
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
They closed our Krystal's 2 years ago... I assume it's because my mom is getting older and makes us come visit her, so no one went to the Krystal's any more. She also loves Steak and Shake, which is pretty much the same burger as Culver's. No idea how S&S is still open here, although their chili and a coke is great if you're out late at night.
Speaking of not knowing how they stay open, has anyone seen a busy Hardess in the last few years? They always seem empty. If you ever go to the drivethrough, they act like they are surprised you are ordering. Makes me think they are just a front of some kind.
Old 01-26-2023, 04:17 PM   #24366
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

It must be nice to be able to afford fast food.
Old 01-26-2023, 04:21 PM   #24367
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
It must be nice to be able to afford fast food.
Somebody please buy this man a cheeseburger.
Old 01-26-2023, 05:03 PM   #24368
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Speaking of not knowing how they stay open, has anyone seen a busy Hardess in the last few years? They always seem empty. If you ever go to the drivethrough, they act like they are surprised you are ordering. Makes me think they are just a front of some kind.

That's because they ARE surprised anyone is there past breakfast hours. Why they don't go to full-time breakfast eludes me, though I imagine it's employee scarcity related.

Regular pricing is absurd, service is sketchy a.f. at pretty much all of 'em, order accuracy is an issue for 40 years running, ... which is a shame because their food, when prepared properly, is actually pretty decent as the category goes
Old 01-26-2023, 05:17 PM   #24369
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Middle school math refresher. My son's getting into shit I'm second guessing if I remember. Bear with me as I try and draw this in text.

Where x = 4:

Code:
( x + 3 ) 8 ( ----- ) ( 4 )

Note the ()'s encompass the entire fraction section. Just one set. There's just no good way to draw that. ie - There's no singular ()'s set around the x + 3, it's "x + 3 over 4".

I'm pretty sure that becomes 8(7/4) in this instance. Am I insane? Just second guessing my order of operations with no ()'s around the x+3.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 01-26-2023 at 05:53 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 06:23 PM   #24370
21C
College Prospect

Which becomes 56/4 = 14. (If I'm reading the questions right).
Old 01-26-2023, 06:39 PM   #24371
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Yeah, I got 14 out of that mess as well. As did my son.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 01-26-2023 at 06:39 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 06:43 PM   #24372
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

How are the Limu Emu commercials still being made? It's what "trying too hard to be funny and failing miserably" looks like as a commercial campaign.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 08:21 PM   #24373
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Culver's is a recent entry into the local market here, I think I've had maybe once years ago while traveling somewhere. Almost a hybrid between SnS and Freddy's sharing traits of each, but with the whole "butter burger" twist (bun is buttered and lightly toasted).

Culver's originated in Wisconsin. They've been infiltrating the Chicago market for a while now. But since we semi-routinely drive up to visit friends & family in Minnesota, I think we're at the point where we've hit every Culver's off of 90 & 94 between here and there.

What I'm saying is that my boys really like Culver's.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 08:28 PM   #24374
Ksyrup

Never heard of Culver's until we moved to KY but we've got several. We go there for the custard more than anything, but when we eat the food, the one thing I like is that it's made to order. So you wait longer - even the drive thru, they have spots to pull-up and wait and people bring it out - but it's always hot. And hot goes a long way to making the meal good in fast food.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-26-2023 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-26-2023, 08:53 PM   #24375
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
That's because they ARE surprised anyone is there past breakfast hours. Why they don't go to full-time breakfast eludes me, though I imagine it's employee scarcity related.

Regular pricing is absurd, service is sketchy a.f. at pretty much all of 'em, order accuracy is an issue for 40 years running, ... which is a shame because their food, when prepared properly, is actually pretty decent as the category goes

I miss the Hardee's fried chicken from the 90s. Ordering fried chicken and biscuits from Bojangles these days is just an expensive knockoff.
Old 01-26-2023, 09:11 PM   #24376
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
I miss the Hardee's fried chicken from the 90s. Ordering fried chicken and biscuits from Bojangles these days is just an expensive knockoff.

But I ain't at all sure that Mrs. Winner's didn't have em both beat for chicken if you take each at their poultry peak.

Plus, best fast food sweet tea EVER.
Old 01-26-2023, 10:52 PM   #24377
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Somebody please buy this man a cheeseburger.

I’ve got a couple cans of collard greens that I can send him?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 01:49 AM   #24378
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Everyone around here is getting decimated with garbage fee increases and it’s going predictably insane in the comment section.

(Like 100-150% increase)

To me what’s more concerning is that they could only find 1 bidder.

Last edited by stevew : 01-27-2023 at 01:53 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 06:27 AM   #24379
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Everyone around here is getting decimated with garbage fee increases and it’s going predictably insane in the comment section.

(Like 100-150% increase)

To me what’s more concerning is that they could only find 1 bidder.
Was it Tony Soprano's company that won?
Old 01-27-2023, 06:28 AM   #24380
GrantDawg

Quote:
But I ain't at all sure that Mrs. Winner's didn't have em both beat for chicken if you take each at their poultry peak.

Plus, best fast food sweet tea EVER.
Excellent biscuits as well.
Old 01-27-2023, 07:35 AM   #24381
Edward64
Head Coach

I’m not educated on everything that’s happened with Australia’s First People but it’s refreshing to see there seems to be more Australian public support to making it right than in the US & native Americans.

It seems we only read about Native Americans stuck in their reservations and casinos helping them. I know there’s more but that’s what the media feeds us.
Old 01-27-2023, 05:13 PM   #24382
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Keith Olbermann, Cris Collinsworth, Mozart, Patton Oswald, Mike Patton, Mimi Rogers, Frank Miller, Danny Aeiello, Brian Downey, Nick Mason, Troy Donohue, Donna Reed, David Seville (and the chipmunks), Jerome Kern, Wilhelm II, Titanic captain Edward Smith, Lewis Carroll, Schubert and Albert of Sacony also have the same birthday as me today

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 01-27-2023 at 05:14 PM.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 05:29 PM   #24383
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

At the casino and they let me in but checked my wife's ID. I mean, it says if you look over 40 they won't check, and I am 40 and she's 39... but come on man.
Old 01-28-2023, 06:29 PM   #24384
RainMaker
General Manager

I have realized that the restaurants with the worst service sometimes make the best food. Definitely when ordering Chinese food.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 09:50 AM   #24385
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
TIL that of the six highest grossing movies of all time that Ive seen only one.

That was back in the 90s and the only reason for watching it was because it got me laid.
Old 01-29-2023, 06:57 PM   #24386
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
TIL that of the six highest grossing movies of all time that Ive seen only one.

That was back in the 90s and the only reason for watching it was because it got me laid.
Jurassic Park?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 07:05 PM   #24387
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm guessing Titanic.
Old 01-29-2023, 07:15 PM   #24388
JPhillips
General Manager

Non-profit companies shouldn't be dropping millions on stadium naming rights.
Old 01-29-2023, 08:42 PM   #24389
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Non-profit companies shouldn't be dropping millions on stadium naming rights.

Eh, plenty of millions spent by non-profits on marketing that's potentially less effective.
Old 01-29-2023, 08:57 PM   #24390
cuervo72
Head Coach

To revisit the truck thing:

Old 01-29-2023, 09:21 PM   #24391
Ksyrup

I'm assuming you can't extend the bed into the cab the way you can fold or remove seats in a van or SUV so in reality, aside from the height advantage, vans and SUVs are probably more versatile.
Old 01-30-2023, 03:25 AM   #24392
bhlloy
Coordinator

I think if I had a sketch comedy show, the very first thing I’d parody is truck adverts with the lumberjack saving the day somewhere in the wilds of Montana vs the rich suburban soccer mom and their adolescent kids who actually probably are their target audience.

Funnily enough that thought came to me again yesterday as I was watching all the ads during football.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 09:21 AM   #24393
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

New Jersey banned plastic grocery bags a while bag and after a short period of adjustment no big deal. One thing I have noticed though is cashiers no longer bag your groceries. 9/10 times they finish scanning then stand there and watch you bag your own.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 12:35 PM   #24394
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Funnily enough that thought came to me again yesterday as I was watching all the ads during football.
The one that got me during football was the Bud Light? one where the girl is carrying 5 glasses back through a crowd. As someone who bartended/barbacked/bounced at different points I can guarantee you my reaction would not be an appreciative head nod, it would be "oh shit please stop or let me help you so I don't need to clean up broken glass."
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 04:11 PM   #24395
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I was randomly browsing reddit today and I came across a screen name of a former FOFC poster.
Old 01-30-2023, 04:18 PM   #24396
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
To revisit the truck thing:

I was actually looking at trucks because it would be helpful with moving pinball machines. Then I realized they probably wouldn't even fit.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 04:19 PM   #24397
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
New Jersey banned plastic grocery bags a while bag and after a short period of adjustment no big deal.

That would pretty much be the end of my grocery shopping entirely.

Zero point zero percent chance that I'm going to a) carry around & keep track of a bunch of f'n bags, b) make a multitude of trips upstairs lugging paper bags when plastic would have allowed it to be done in one or two

I can't think of much that could happen in the niche that would be a bigger deal to me.
Old 01-30-2023, 05:00 PM   #24398
Ksyrup

When we went to Hawaii, we had to pay for using bags. So we bought a couple reusables but of course forgot them, then forgot we had to pay every time we went to the register... good times.
Old 01-30-2023, 05:53 PM   #24399
GrantDawg

I remember in the late 70's early 80's some stores started doing "warehouse" style. They didn't bag, and you had to either bring your own bags and boxes or pay a fee. Mom used to go because there was a considerable discount. Didn't last.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-30-2023 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-30-2023, 06:40 PM   #24400
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

It's coming everywhere so be ready for it. Once you get into a routine it really isn't any different. The bags are reusable so you just keep them in the car.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote