Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-09-2023, 05:03 PM   #6151
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Edit-oops

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-09-2023 at 05:50 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 08:15 PM   #6152
GrantDawg

If you want to know why I am against the death penalty: https://twitter.com/breathtkinan/sta...7Mnv30YRg&s=19
There are certain states and people that have a blood lust. They want to kill, and they don't care about whether the person is innocent or not.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-09-2023 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-11-2023, 09:16 AM   #6153
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

IMO, there are minimally two solid reasons to think we should have an indefinite moratorium on the death penalty:

1. As many organizations have shown, including Northwestern University's Center on Wrongful Convictions, a lot of innocent people are wrongfully convicted on capital charges. It is patently ridiculous to have an irreversible process with this many errors.

2. Due to appeals and our justice system in general, it costs a lot more to go through with a death penalty as opposed to just life imprisonment.

I have no problem with putting someone to death who has genuinely committed a capital offense, so I'm not coming at this from a moral/ethical standpoint (that, to me, is a different conversation). Just from a nuts-and-bolts, cut-and-dry perspective, we shouldn't be doing it.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 09:47 AM   #6154
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

This is only tangentially related, but for some reason I always get NYC PBA tweets in my feed. This popped up yesterday and I don't understand it.

Is the argument that he had an aneurysm to sacrifice himself for public safety? If he'd died during a bathroom break would his death have had less meaning?

Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 03:24 PM   #6155
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Houston crime: 1 dead, 4 shot outside club on Cypress Creek Pkwy | khou.com
https://abc13.com/houston-club-mass-...rime/12705051/

Another club shooting

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 01-15-2023 at 03:25 PM.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 09:00 AM   #6156
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Tyre Nichols had the exact same birthdate as ... Breonna Taylor.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 05:25 PM   #6157
RainMaker
General Manager

FBI Paid a Violent Felon to Infiltrate Racial Justice Movement
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 07:43 AM   #6158
cuervo72
Head Coach

Colorado deputy shot and killed unarmed man outside middle school
Old 02-24-2023, 07:53 AM   #6159
GrantDawg

No surprise. They have long done the same thing to White Nationalist.
Old 04-12-2023, 12:08 AM   #6160
RainMaker
General Manager

Probably should be getting more attention that Abbott is going to pardon a guy just convicted of murder because the person he murdered was a left-wing protestor. The case is pretty damning against the murderer. He posted online and texted about he was going to kill protestors, drove a long ways to them, drove into a crowd of them, then shot one without provocation according to over a dozen witnesses.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-gov-...ry?id=98472082
Old 04-12-2023, 08:24 AM   #6161
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

We are seeing the will of the people overturned everywhere by the GOP. Something has to stop it. Abbot overturning a ruling by a jury, the state taking over the Harris county school district ousting the elected school board, Tenn lawmakers removing elected reps, etc....they are openly trying to destroy democracy.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 09:57 AM   #6162
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Yeah, but that trans person drank a bud light and had to pee after... so both sides I guess.
Old 04-13-2023, 09:59 PM   #6163
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 04-15-2023, 02:31 PM   #6164
Edward64
Head Coach

What a mess.

If the first bolded section is correct (supposedly based on the video footage), then guess the shooting was tragic but justified. Question is why did Dotson appear "raising a gun". And I'd like to see the additional footage & audio after the publicly disclosed on ends.

Footage shows moment New Mexico cops shoot dead innocent Robert Dotson after knocking WRONG house | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
When officers knocked on the door and announced themselves no one answered the door.
:
The footage shows an officer knocking three times, but between the second and third knocks, the three cops discuss whether they were at the wrong address.

The officer at the door asks: 'Is this not 5308? That's what it said right there, right?'

His partner responds: 'No, it said 5305 didn't it?'

The first officer then requests confirmation of the address they have been called out to over his intercom, and the dispatch confirms 5308.

In a chilling moment of levity seconds before their fatal encounter, the officer then appears to say: 'So they told me the wrong…'

The audio then cuts out and a third officer, standing a few feet away from the front door, is heard laughing.

The cops then begin to back away from the door as they prepare to leave, but seconds later Dotson appears opens the door and raises a gun.

Panicked officers are heard shouting: 'Hey! Hey! What the…?!' before shooting Dotson dead instantly.

Officers confirm: 'One down, move out.'

About a minute later, a woman's screams can be heard coming from the house. The woman, later identified as Dotson's widow, Kimberly Jones-Dotson, then appears at the door with a firearm.

One traumatized officer, seemingly fearing another deadly shootout, says under his breath: 'Please, don't.'

The woman fires her weapon at the officers, who return fire. The footage ends after the conclusion of shots being exchanged.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-15-2023 at 02:32 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 07:48 PM   #6165
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
What a mess.

If the first bolded section is correct (supposedly based on the video footage), then guess the shooting was tragic but justified. Question is why did Dotson appear "raising a gun". And I'd like to see the additional footage & audio after the publicly disclosed on ends.

Because he lives in the United States of America in 2023 and three unknown men knocked on the front door of the house he lives in with his family at 11:30pm unannounced. I don't mean that in a crass way either. Showing up at anyone's house after dark unannounced is risky nowadays. We have had more than a few close calls with Amazon drivers almost getting shot when they making deliveries after 9pm in the winter months locally. The fact that they were in police uniforms probably made them more suspicious not less. In his mind, why the hell would three police officers be at his house at 11:30pm unannounced? Presumably, he is a law-biding citizen. He is probably thinking that this has all the hallmarks of a setup

I am curious how this plays out. I assume he has a right to defend himself, his family and his property against people he can reasonably assume are threats. On the other hand, the police absolutely have the right to blow him away if he is raising a gun towards them. Which right is more prevalent?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 08:50 PM   #6166
Edward64
Head Coach

The article quote above did say below and supposedly they knocked 3 times. I assume they said it loud enough.

Quote:
When officers knocked on the door and announced themselves no one answered the door.

If that happened to me and I was concerned about criminal elements faking it, I would have yelled out behind my closed door and ask what this was about etc. and then call 911 to confirm ...

(Probably wouldn't have my gun as its upstairs in a gun cabinet)

Maybe the guy was drunk, hard of hearing, high on drugs, busy with his wife and didn't hear the cops announce themselves etc.

Quote:
I am curious how this plays out. I assume he has a right to defend himself, his family and his property against people he can reasonably assume are threats. On the other hand, the police absolutely have the right to blow him away if he is raising a gun towards them. Which right is more prevalent?

Yeah, weird story. I'd like to know how it plays out too and/or if there is more to the story.

If I was in the jury, I'd say he does have a right to defend himself but not raise a gun towards cops (assume this has been vetted by the video). So justified shooting.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-15-2023 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-15-2023, 09:01 PM   #6167
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

They had no legal basis for being there. I think it comes down to what the body cameras show. If the homeowner came out guns blazing, he's in the wrong. If not, the officers should be tried for manslaughter.
Old 04-15-2023, 10:37 PM   #6168
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
The article quote above did say below and supposedly they knocked 3 times. I assume they said it loud enough.

They could have knocked ten times loud enough for the whole neighborhood to hear it. No one is required to believe them. The police don't just stop by to visit at 11:30pm if you did not call for them to come and you have done nothing wrong. We have trained people to be threatened by strange people coming to their houses in the middle of the night.

Quote:
If that happened to me and I was concerned about criminal elements faking it, I would have yelled out behind my closed door and ask what this was about etc. and then call 911 to confirm ...

(Probably wouldn't have my gun as its upstairs in a gun cabinet)

Maybe the guy was drunk, hard of hearing, high on drugs, busy with his wife and didn't hear the cops announce themselves etc.

You would be trying to avoid a confrontation and also accept that the cops have a reason to be knocking on your door at that time of the night. I would probably do something similar. I may be profiling but based on that daytime photo in the article of the street the victim lived on I don't think he or any of his neighbors are calling 911 to defend their families or their property against the criminal elements. They are taking care of that themselves.

Quote:
If I was in the jury, I'd say he does have a right to defend himself but not raise a gun towards cops (assume this has been vetted by the video). So justified shooting.

He did not raise his gun towards cops, he raised his gun towards strangers on his property for no apparent reason at 11:30pm. His wife did the same thing. Once she realized they were cops, she put down her gun and complied with commands. If she did not know they were cops, it is reasonable to assume that he did not know either. The body camera footage embedded in the article does not do much in making me believe that he knew the strangers were cops.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 04-16-2023, 05:01 AM   #6169
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Same thing happened in a suburb nearby but the guy didn't die. Police showed up due to a medical alert alarm. Homeowner came to the door with a gun. Cop saw him through the glass and shot him.

Cop was cleared of any wrongdoing and no charges.
Old 04-16-2023, 10:49 AM   #6170
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They could have knocked ten times loud enough for the whole neighborhood to hear it. No one is required to believe them. The police don't just stop by to visit at 11:30pm if you did not call for them to come and you have done nothing wrong. We have trained people to be threatened by strange people coming to their houses in the middle of the night.

I think, as a society, we badly overdo "stranger danger" where we're just expected to fear anyone for any reason. But I think if some crazy is knocking on my door at 11:30 at night, I'm going to get real fearful real quick

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 10:57 AM   #6171
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Part of the problem is I get the sense too many people have this Rambo fantasy where they want to use their guns to take a bad guy down.
Old 04-16-2023, 11:20 AM   #6172
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Part of the problem is I get the sense too many people have this Rambo fantasy where they want to use their guns to take a bad guy down.

those movies were so ass
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 11:24 AM   #6173
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

Well that's the thing...he came to the door with a gun and didn't stand a chance against cops. Would your chances of success go up if you came to the door against armed non-cops? I'm going to say probably not.
Old 04-16-2023, 12:01 PM   #6174
Edward64
Head Coach

In below clip, see around 2:20+.

The video isn't that clear to me, grainy and bright lights. Still willing to give the LEO's the benefit of doubt but my thoughts ...

(1) I did hear the cops announced themselves at least once (2) It didn't seem that the guy had the gun in a firing position, I didn't see an outstretched hand with weapon. Maybe he was raising it? and (3) I'm surprised at how quick the cops' reaction were to shoot. I assume they did not have their guns out already and had to draw them & shoot in a split second

I would like to see the body cam footage from the other 2 cops. Maybe better viewing angle of position of gun.

Chilling footage shows police shooting innocent man dead after knocking on wrong door - Daily Star
Old 04-16-2023, 12:26 PM   #6175
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

First Blood was a great movie. That is all.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 12:41 PM   #6176
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post

Super anti-cop, too.
Old 04-16-2023, 01:12 PM   #6177
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

That NM deal is a tough one.

I'm not sure anybody did anything wrong except go to the wrong door. THAT mistake set everything else in motion :/
Old 04-16-2023, 02:05 PM   #6178
cuervo72
Head Coach

How about this one?

Black Family Demands Justice After White Man Shoots Black Boy Twice for Ringing Doorbell of Wrong Home
Old 04-16-2023, 02:19 PM   #6179
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That NM deal is a tough one.

I'm not sure anybody did anything wrong except go to the wrong door. THAT mistake set everything else in motion :/

This.

I disagree with the approach of both sides in general and in this situation beginning with the original mistake. But that is what we as a society have said is the proper approach for both sides to have. Once the original mistake happened, both sides reacted in the exact manner we have told them to react. I put more responsibility on the cops because they made the original mistake and I think it is their responsibility to let the homeowners know what was going on. Obviously, that last part comes with deadly risks to the officers as we have seen but that is the danger that comes with the job. However, they can't just cause the owner that sort of understandable anxiety and walk away like it is no big deal. That makes it look more like they were up to no good.
Old 04-16-2023, 05:11 PM   #6180
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post

I watched it for the first time a few years ago and I did not expect it to be a portrait about PTSD, abuse of power, and societal response to the Vietnam War. I was more expecting what you get after that, the stuff that gets spoofed all the time

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-16-2023 at 05:11 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 12:15 PM   #6181
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Because he lives in the United States of America in 2023 and three unknown men knocked on the front door of the house he lives in with his family at 11:30pm unannounced. I don't mean that in a crass way either. Showing up at anyone's house after dark unannounced is risky nowadays.

Kansas City: Accused shooter in shooting of Black teen who went to the wrong house is White man in his 80s | CNN
Old 04-17-2023, 12:41 PM   #6182
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Absolutely inexcusable to release him.

He will eventually be charged, the right will claim the DA was influenced by the radical left mob, it will become politicized as fuck, and the jury will look at this 80 year old dude who will have the best defense the NRA can pay for and he will get off. Blacks will riot and be vilified. Rinse and repeat.
Old 04-17-2023, 01:56 PM   #6183
BYU 14
Coordinator

This incident has really made me think about something that happened in 2018/19 to us.

My doorbell rang at like 1:30. I was groggy and didn't look at the ring cam, got to the door and saw it was police through the peephole. I opened the door rather quickly, because you assume the worst about a family member when police show up at that time of the morning, so yeah I panicked a bit.

One of the officers was half concealed by the wall in my entryway, with his hand on gun, still in holster. He half jerked it out, I guess because I opened the door fast and his partner stepped back and dipped his hands near his holster as well, before relaxing when they saw I was unarmed and in shorts.

Turns out there was a report of gunfire from in front of my house, which I doubt as my neighborhood is really quiet, so possibly fireworks, but it was definitely not me in either case. I did not take my gun with me, thankfully, but what if, in a stupor from being woken at that hour I had? What is I didn't check the peephole and just opened the door with my gun in my hand. Because the reason they were there in the first place was 'reported gunfire' I can see how it could have ended really bad for me.

It is not unreasonable for someone to go to the door with a gun that scenario and depending on what the call was (I don't think I have seen why they were called to that area) things could escalated really quickly. Again, it in no way excuses the fact they did not fully confirm the address, that's negligent, but if they were there for a potentially dangerous person, it would explain why they were so quick to fire.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 01:58 PM   #6184
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Absolutely inexcusable to release him.

He will eventually be charged, the right will claim the DA was influenced by the radical left mob, it will become politicized as fuck, and the jury will look at this 80 year old dude who will have the best defense the NRA can pay for and he will get off. Blacks will riot and be vilified. Rinse and repeat.

Agree with all of this and it is a sad commentary on our country and how we apply justice and who gets the benefit of the system.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 03:16 PM   #6185
GrantDawg

I didn't know the kid was still alive. Thank God for that at least.
Old 04-17-2023, 03:21 PM   #6186
RainMaker
General Manager

I'd be more fearful of a stranger ringing my doorbell during the day then the middle of the night. I assume if someone wants to do harm to me at night, they aren't ringing the doorbell. During the day it's at least a rouse to get into the house without alerting the neighbors.
Old 04-17-2023, 03:23 PM   #6187
GrantDawg

From the article: "Asked whether the shooting may have been racially motivated, the police chief said, “the information that we have now, it does not say that that is racially motivated. That’s still an active investigation. But as a chief of police, I do recognize the racial components of this case.”

I don't really know how you can prove "racial motivation" even though it is most likely that race of the kid was why the guy shot him. Can we definitively prove this guy wouldn't have shot a white teenage boy that knocked at his door late at night? No. He could be afraid of teenagers in general. Unless that man says it out loud, how do you prove that beyond a reasonable doubt?
Old 04-17-2023, 03:27 PM   #6188
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I'd be more fearful of a stranger ringing my doorbell during the day then the middle of the night. I assume if someone wants to do harm to me at night, they aren't ringing the doorbell. During the day it's at least a rouse to get into the house without alerting the neighbors.
Not me. I get doorbell rings during the day all the time. When someone rings my bell after dark, then I get suspicious. We had the across the street neighbor ring out bell at 9 one night. I didn't answer the door till I talked to him through the camera. He was wearing a hoody and I didn't know who he was.
Old 04-17-2023, 05:42 PM   #6189
GrantDawg

They are charging the old man with two felony accounts. The DA said there is a racial element to this without commenting further. Following my previous post, I would have to guess the old man's statement was he was afraid because he was black.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2023, 05:57 PM   #6190
RainMaker
General Manager

It could also be communication before or after the shooting. The guy in Texas who murdered a protestor had texts talking about how he was going to go and murder a protestor.
Old 04-17-2023, 06:38 PM   #6191
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
It could also be communication before or after the shooting. The guy in Texas who murdered a protestor had texts talking about how he was going to go and murder a protestor.

Yet he is going to be pardoned.
Old 04-17-2023, 07:01 PM   #6192
GrantDawg

Another one:
Upstate NY woman fatally shot after turning down wrong driveway https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ouu-story.html

Old 04-17-2023, 07:28 PM   #6193
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

It's almost as if more guns isn't the solution...
Old 04-17-2023, 07:35 PM   #6194
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Another one:
Upstate NY woman fatally shot after turning down wrong driveway Upstate NY woman, 20, fatally shot after turning down wrong driveway – New York Daily News

Good lord.
Old 04-17-2023, 07:59 PM   #6195
GrantDawg

These old guys sit and watch Fox News all day and are convinced "they" are going to come and get them at any time. Just shoot first to be safe.

Old 04-17-2023, 08:08 PM   #6196
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
These old guys sit and watch Fox News all day and are convinced "they" are going to come and get them at any time. Just shoot first to be safe.

Literally my exact thought. Can almost guarantee every one of these guys binge watches FOX or similar
Old 04-17-2023, 08:22 PM   #6197
GrantDawg

Laws always fascinates me. The old man in Missouri is being charged with first degree assault. Why not attempted murder you ask? Because there is no attempted murder charge in Missouri. First degree assault is the equivalent.

Old 04-17-2023, 08:25 PM   #6198
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Laws always fascinates me. The old man in Missouri is being charged with first degree assault. Why not attempted murder you ask? Because there is no attempted murder charge in Missouri. First degree assault is the equivalent.

As you might imagine, this is a semi-regular discussion between me & Will. There's all manner of state by state quirks like that.
Old 04-17-2023, 08:28 PM   #6199
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just shoot first to be safe.

I'm reminded of some sage wisdom I learned at a very early age.

"Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six"
Old 04-17-2023, 08:39 PM   #6200
GrantDawg

Was that the same Sage that said, "It is better a thousand innocent men are imprisoned than one guilty man is set free?"