Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-29-2022, 10:50 AM   #451
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I think he trusted his agent and got burned. Chipper tried to warn him.

Saying he got burned does not match with the person Freeman is described to be. To me, Freeman getting burnt by his agent is the agent telling him he could get $180-$190 million from the Braves or someone else, or if the agent did not give him all the information. I can't believe a 32 year old Freeman would trust his agent that much to believe or allow either of those scenarios to happen. If the story is accurate, he wanted more than $140 mil. Especially for a vet like Freeman, he is the guy that can go to the organization and see if $141 million is possible. If it is not then he gets to decide that staying in Atlanta for $140 million is better than go somewhere else for more. At 25 years old, I get it blaming the agent. Not at 32 with 11 years in the league.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 05:27 PM   #452
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Doug Gotlieb reported that Freddie's agent didn't tell him of the last offer the Braves made. He didn't know till this weekend. That is why he fired him, and he probably should sue him.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 05:58 PM   #453
MrBug708
Head Coach

Braves wanted Olson. It’s OK that they wanted Olson. But they also wanted it to be Freeman’s “fault” they wanted Olson. The Braves don’t like paying $25M+ for one player if they can avoid it.

And I don’t think they expected their final offer to be accepted - they expected Freeman would have better offers.

But this is a nice narrative where the fans can be "appeased" that neither one of the parties was the bad guy.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:12 PM   #454
GrantDawg

BS. If you think Freddie fired his agent for no reason, or that he did it for appearances, you don't know Freddie Freeman.

Old 06-29-2022, 06:43 PM   #455
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
BS. If you think Freddie fired his agent for no reason, or that he did it for appearances, you don't know Freddie Freeman.

Im sure there were some issues there. I'm also sure that the weekend was filled with tears and emotions and both parties were gifted with an opportunity to make "amends" and by amends, I feel like a way to bring the fans back into the fold.

Apparently the Braves didn't know Freddie either, since instead of calling him up and letting him know about the offer, they traded a bunch of prospects for a guy they had spent months trying to acquire in Matt Olson.

Last edited by MrBug708 : 06-29-2022 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-29-2022, 07:24 PM   #456
GrantDawg

They trusted the agent. This is not the first time an agent pulled something like this banking on a bigger commission.

Old 06-29-2022, 08:22 PM   #457
JPhillips
General Manager

My guess is there's nothing that can lead to legal action. I'd be very surprised if agents aren't protected in the union agreed contract.
Old 07-07-2022, 12:35 PM   #458
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They need to stop with position players pitching in blowouts. It’s becoming a disgrace.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 11:21 AM   #459
miami_fan
Coordinator

No matter how many times I am reminded that baseball need more than just two players to be successful, the idea having both Trout and Ohtani on their team and still being so bad is jarring.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 07-08-2022, 11:24 AM   #460
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Also Ward is a top 40 player even though he’s missed quite a few games to injury.
Old 07-08-2022, 11:46 AM   #461
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
They need to stop with position players pitching in blowouts. It’s becoming a disgrace.

It's one of my biggest pet peeves in baseball right now.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:51 PM   #462
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Interesting article on the AJC this afternoon (seems to be an AP piece they tweaked for localization).

Of the 16 players who signed $100m+ contracts in the off-season, 0-of-16 made the all-star teams.

Scherzer probably comes closest, if you project him not missing 7 weeks due to injury.

*The timeframe does not include Alvarez who signed a $100m+ deal after the season began
Old 07-12-2022, 05:27 PM   #463
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I think we may have reached the point where somebody else is actually as bad at their job as Angel Hernandez is at his job.

He should send Tony LaRussa a thank you card or something.
Old 07-12-2022, 05:53 PM   #464
miami_fan
Coordinator

Didn't he do that or something similar before this season? I remember he sniping at a reporter who asked about it with something like "Do you know what the batter hitter with 2 strikes against a lefty on second Tuesday after a month that ends with the letter L?"

Any criticism of LaRussa is always welcome.
Old 07-12-2022, 06:15 PM   #465
miami_fan
Coordinator

This is what I remembered.

Tony La Russa doubles down, defends intentional walk decision | Sox On 35th
Old 07-13-2022, 08:17 PM   #466
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Royals making news for all the wrong reasons

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 08:24 PM   #467
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Royals making news for all the wrong reasons

Because, God forbid, any sports team have players that aren't fucking sheep.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:28 PM   #468
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sure I'd hold up a team or franchise that's 18 games under .500 as some bastion of good judgement.

SI

Old 07-13-2022, 08:31 PM   #469
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm not sure I'd hold up a team or franchise that's 18 games under .500 as some bastion of good judgement.

AFAIK, those 10 players aren't making franchise decisions.

I mean, this ain't the NBA (yet)
Old 07-13-2022, 08:33 PM   #470
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
AFAIK, those 10 players aren't making franchise decisions.

I mean, this ain't the NBA (yet)

True, true - they didn't build the crappy product on the field. They're just a part of it and the culture

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-13-2022 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:37 PM   #471
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
True, true - they didn't build the crappy product on the field. They're just a part of it and the culture

A "culture" that I suddenly have an exponentially higher respect for than I had before this story broke.

Fair is fair I think. You can shit on 'em for their choices, I can suddenly find a few players I respect. As rare as that is for me across virtually all of sports these days, I sure ain't gonna be disappointed about it.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:51 PM   #472
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

For most of us, if Jon respects someone, that's a pretty much a red X in the judgement column
Old 07-14-2022, 12:05 AM   #473
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Must have been why Merrifield broke his consecutive game streak the other day.
Old 07-14-2022, 09:35 AM   #474
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Must have been why Merrifield broke his consecutive game streak the other day.

There's been a lot of chatter around that and whether the injury was manufactured. That said, I think it's a legit injury - maybe if if were a September pennant race, he'd limp his way out there. But for this time of year for this team, probably legit.

Then again, he went and said this yesterday, too, so he's not endearing himself to much of anyone:

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/ml...pdigest_latest
Quote:
“I understand what Canada has in place right now. That’s the only reason that I would think about getting it at this point is to go to Canada,” Merrifield said. “That might change down the road. Something happens, and I happen to get on a team that has a chance to go play in Canada in the postseason, maybe that changes.”

Basically, "if I were on a better team, I might do it" so he ticked off the crowd who wants to see everyone try 110% even on bad teams crowd while also pointing out that his convictions are not deeply held ones, just mercenary ones.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-14-2022 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-14-2022, 08:21 PM   #475
MrBug708
Head Coach

I am going to enjoy Casey Close humiliating Doug Gottlieb in what promises to be a wild libel lawsuit, regardless of outcome. Maybe Braves owner Liberty Media will give Dougie a show on Sirius for carrying its water?

In a court filing, Close explicitly maintains the Braves made their final offer to Freddie Freeman on August 4, 2021: 5/$135M.

Lying in a court filing is bad, so I doubt Close is lying. But pissing off a rich guy with good lawyers by falsely claiming in writing that he breached fiduciary duty of a client is perhaps much worse.
Old 07-16-2022, 12:23 PM   #476
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Soto turned down 15/440. I assume he’s getting traded to the dodgers at some point this year.
Old 07-16-2022, 12:32 PM   #477
JPhillips
General Manager

I know that sounds like a huge deal, but 29.3 average for 14 years is almost certainly going to be an underpay.
Old 07-16-2022, 12:43 PM   #478
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Bets I am looking to make. I know there is a sports betting thread but we have some sharp baseball minds so I would love some opinions

Cy Young-

NL
Alcantra- 25-1
DeGrom- 4-1

AL
Shane McClanahan- 16-1

Lead the league in Home Runs
Schwarber- 28-1
Tyler ONeil- 25-1
C Bellinger- 80-1
J soler- 33-1

Lead the league in runs scored
W Merrifield- 35-1
S Marte- 40-1

ROY
AL- Torkelson- +525
NL-Suzuki +400

Most Wins
DeGrom- 10-1

Most Steals
Miles Straw- 15-1

Most Hits
Lindor- 35-1

AL MVP
Buxton- 40-1
Gallo- 80-1

NL MVP
Lindor- 33-1
Bellinger 66-1

Team Wins
Red Sox over 84.5
Oakland under 70.5

Revisiting some of these at the all star break. The Gallo stuff, lol, no one could have predicted he would be THIS bad. DeGrom I probably get what I deserve given his history.

Alcantra is having a fantastic year but I think being on an average team hurts him. I'll be on him next year again for sure.

McClanahan is VERY live as is Schwarber for HR lead. Need Judge to miss some time.

If Lindor has a great second half and the Mets win the division I could see some steam, but likely not.

Miles Straw can't get on base.

Red Sox team total is the biggest bet I have. They need to go 37-34 rest of the way. I like my chances. Looks like my Oakland under will cruise.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 03:52 PM   #479
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I know that sounds like a huge deal, but 29.3 average for 14 years is almost certainly going to be an underpay.
Haha yeah... imagine being in a place where you can turn down $440 million and it's almost unquestionably the right decision. (Albeit a risky one because I'm sure he's not insured for injury to anything close to 9 figures). The other part that's unspoken even compared to normal times is how questionable it would be to sign a 15 year deal before figuring out where this inflation is going - there's a non zero chance it stays up there for a couple years and that deal would be very under market by the time Soto hits FA.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 07:39 AM   #480
JPhillips
General Manager

Mychal Givens took both losses in the Cubs/Mets doubleheader but didn't allow any earned runs.
Old 07-17-2022, 12:18 PM   #481
tarcone
Coordinator

I figure 750 is the number Soto gets from the Yankees.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 12:34 PM   #482
Atocep
Coordinator

In today's episode of I feel old:

The draft is today and here are the son's of players that are going to go within the top dozen or so picks:

Druw Jones (son of Andruw), Cam Collier (son of Lou), Elijah Green (son of former NFL TE Eric), Justin Crawford (son of Carl)

Oh and I just found out today that Edgerrin James Jr. is a top 50 HS basketball player out of the 2023 class.
Old 07-17-2022, 02:19 PM   #483
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
In today's episode of I feel old:

The draft is today and here are the son's of players that are going to go within the top dozen or so picks:

Druw Jones (son of Andruw), Cam Collier (son of Lou), Elijah Green (son of former NFL TE Eric), Justin Crawford (son of Carl)

Oh and I just found out today that Edgerrin James Jr. is a top 50 HS basketball player out of the 2023 class.

You left out Jackson Holiday (son of Matt) who is figured to be a 1st rounder out of HS (IF he'll forego college), Kumar Rocker (son of NFL'er Tracy).

Others likely to be lower in the draft include the sons of Marquis Grissom, Edgar Renteria, Cal Eldred and Jeff Blauser.

In all, close to three dozen possible draftees with famous fathers as mlb.com details at length

https://www.mlb.com/news/2022-mlb-dr...us-family-ties
Old 07-17-2022, 03:24 PM   #484
tarcone
Coordinator

Where is Cal Eldreds son from? Cal is an Iowa alum. And I believe he pitched for the Cardinals for a spell as well.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 04:05 PM   #485
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Where is Cal Eldreds son from? Cal is an Iowa alum. And I believe he pitched for the Cardinals for a spell as well.

Righty pitcher from Dallas Baptist, by way of Mount Vernon (IA) High School
Old 07-17-2022, 04:12 PM   #486
RainMaker
General Manager

Saw somewhere online talking about how a player like Rey Ordonez could never make it in the game today. Incredibly fielder but this has to be the worst hitter I've ever seen get considerable playing time for years.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/re...ts?position=SS
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 04:30 PM   #487
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Saw somewhere online talking about how a player like Rey Ordonez could never make it in the game today. Incredibly fielder but this has to be the worst hitter I've ever seen get considerable playing time for years.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/re...ts?position=SS

To this day he's one of my favorite Met players. If you were to make a highlight reel of craziest plays by a major league shortstop he probably gets half of them.

That '99 infield for the Mets was one of the best defensive infields ever.
Old 07-17-2022, 04:54 PM   #488
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'd love to have a strat-o-matic card of 2022 Matt Carpenter. .933 slugging percentage and 13 homers in 75 at bats.
Old 07-17-2022, 06:55 PM   #489
Atocep
Coordinator

Kumar Rocker going 3rd overall is...weird...
Old 07-17-2022, 08:48 PM   #490
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm glad that I wasn't crazy for telling my brother the Pirates should at least think about Rocker at #4 IF he had a reasonable agreed upon number and was revealing his medicals.

Also watched Dru Jones just murder baseballs on the Baseball Bat Bros and that swing is just so sweet.
Old 07-17-2022, 08:58 PM   #491
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm glad that I wasn't crazy for telling my brother the Pirates should at least think about Rocker at #4 IF he had a reasonable agreed upon number and was revealing his medicals.

Also watched Dru Jones just murder baseballs on the Baseball Bat Bros and that swing is just so sweet.

I'm guessing Texas got him well below slot. The Pirates had to be ecstatic to get Temarr Johnson at 4.

I'm very happy with the Mets getting Parada and Jett Williams. The only other guys I would have considered at 14 would have been Collier and Lesko.

My most overrated guy is Justin Crawford. Other than being 6'3" with 70/80 speed I'm not sure what he does well.
Old 07-17-2022, 09:34 PM   #492
JPhillips
General Manager

The baseball draft is such a crap shoot, but Collier at 18 for the Reds was a nice surprise.
Old 07-17-2022, 10:07 PM   #493
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Goddamn. What a weekend.

COVID
the USMNT losing in a couple of sports
Red Sox Losing games
One of my favorite science fiction authors (who I had talked with a couple times on FB) passing away
And Chris Sale taking a comebacker off the pinky and likely out till 2023.

Other than that, how was your weekend Mrs Lincoln/Mr.Fozzie?
Old 07-18-2022, 01:29 PM   #494
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Texas just picks the best HS pitcher with the savings from Rocker at #3.

PS I realize the MLB draft isn't the NFL or NBA one, but why does MLB.com have their draft set up in the middle of a mall food court?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 03:04 PM   #495
miami_fan
Coordinator

A tweet worth a thousand words.

Old 07-18-2022, 07:23 PM   #496
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Home run derby got rid of the rule where you have to wait until the pitch lands to hit another one, right? I don't see it in the rules anymore and it's a good change.

SI

Old 07-18-2022, 07:58 PM   #497
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

That Rodriguez dude hit so many HR that looked like they were pulled foul it wasn't funny. I mean, they all looked like they were balls in on his hands and he was just trying to fight them off, and nearly every one of them was lined over the LF fence.

Maybe it was the angle I was watching, but it looked impressive from here.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 07:55 PM   #498
miami_fan
Coordinator

I now realize that I would pay good money for a stream of authentic interactions throughout a game in all team sports like the one between Jose Trevino and Nestor Cortes had during the All Star game last night.

Last edited by miami_fan : 07-20-2022 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-20-2022, 09:46 PM   #499
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I now realize that I would pay good money for a stream of authentic interactions throughout a game in all team sports like the one between Jose Trevino and Nestor Cortes had during the All Star game last night.

I initially wasn't sure how I felt about giving pitchers the microphone, but Manoah was great, and the Trevino/Cortes pair was awesome.

Trevino wearing the mic for his base hit was the highlight of the ASG for me...and I don't usually bother to watch the ASG.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 10:30 PM   #500
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I initially wasn't sure how I felt about giving pitchers the microphone, but Manoah was great, and the Trevino/Cortes pair was awesome.

Trevino wearing the mic for his base hit was the highlight of the ASG for me...and I don't usually bother to watch the ASG.

Completely agree, MLB Network would do huge numbers doing a game a week where the battery was miced up. The Cortez / Trevino inning was awesome.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote