Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-04-2013, 05:17 AM   #751
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I've not been depressed per say, but the inability to run has been getting to me a bit. Went to the doctor yesterday, now that I am back in town from the camping trip and he said the wound looks clean, doesn't seem like there is any signs of infection. He gave me anti-biotic to take for 5 days just to be safe though.

The soreness that keeps me from running though is likely the bruising of the foot pad area where the hole is. He says that it likely won't get worse but it might still linger through when my half marathon is scheduled for. Going to try to stay off of it as much as possible for a bit and then figure out how it is feeling next week. He said worst case, if it is still sore, I can take two advil before the race to help with the tissue pain some.

Bleh.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #752
Kodos
Resident Alien

I guess at least it's not infected. Still sucks though. Heal up quick!
Old 09-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #753
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I've not been depressed per say, but the inability to run has been getting to me a bit. Went to the doctor yesterday, now that I am back in town from the camping trip and he said the wound looks clean, doesn't seem like there is any signs of infection. He gave me anti-biotic to take for 5 days just to be safe though.

The soreness that keeps me from running though is likely the bruising of the foot pad area where the hole is. He says that it likely won't get worse but it might still linger through when my half marathon is scheduled for. Going to try to stay off of it as much as possible for a bit and then figure out how it is feeling next week. He said worst case, if it is still sore, I can take two advil before the race to help with the tissue pain some.

Bleh.

I know how you feel. While I am more into lifting, tearing my wrist ligaments 18 months ago and my ankle 4 months ago has been frustrating and I tend to stil try and lift anyway and re injure my wrist or ankle
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #754
HerRealName
College Prospect

Sorry to hear about that Alan. Hopefully with some rest it will heal quickly.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #755
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

Bleh.
that really sucks, hope it gets better soon, at least so you can enjoy your half marathon!

FM
Old 09-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #756
Subby
lolzcat

Bummer. Freak injuries are the. worst.

Hang in there.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #757
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

So since we started doing this in May, three freak accidents have occurred (bike accident to founder within 1st week, followed by HWMBA*'s guts spilling out, and then lovable character Alan gets screwed). This is clearly the start of a horror film. And now that I am wising up to the plot and trying to warn the others, I am in danger of being next.

(Note to self: get health insurance, dummy)

* he who must be admired

Last edited by lighthousekeeper : 09-05-2013 at 10:00 AM.
lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #758
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
So since we started doing this in May, three freak accidents have occurred (bike accident to founder within 1st week, followed by HWMBA*'s guts spilling out, and then lovable character Alan gets screwed). This is clearly the start of a horror film. And now that I am wising up to the plot and trying to warn the others, I am in danger of being next.

(Note to self: get health insurance, dummy)

* he who must be admired

While not a freak accident, per se, I did manage to injure my knee back in June while attempting the longest run (4 miles) in my brief running career, keeping me off the pavement for over two weeks.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #759
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I didn't know this, but according to my doctor there is a hereditary component to propensity for hernias. I'm the third Lewis brother to get at least one hernia, and my dad had one. Go figure. I just assumed it had to do with our activity levels at various times in our lives.

Tonight will be my last run before the surgery. I'm not 100% sure what it's going to be, but right now I'm thinking something like 1 mile warmup, then go for a 10K PR, then 2.8 slow miles to make it 10 even. We'll see. I've also never tried to see the best I can do for a 5K, so that's a possibility...
Old 09-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #760
Ben E Lou

Out of surgery and feeling pretty ok. Not groggy at all. Surgery went well. Thanks for the concerns. Discharge in 15-20 minutes apparently.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #761
Ben E Lou

Update on the surgery/recovery here: From Fat To Fit At 44: Post-Surgery Update

Short version: getting better, and if all goes well, I may be able to resume running after 9/24.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #762
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Race Report: Aquarium of the Pacific 5K, Sept 8, 2013

So I ran my second 5K race on Sunday. Was a beautiful, cool morning along the scenic seaside village and marina of Downtown Long Beach, California.

There were 486 runners. I expected a whole lot more, but I'm glad there wasn't because there were some narrow passages along the seaside village where only 3-4 wide could pass through.

Because of my expected pace, I started near the middle of the pack. Here's the scene at the starting line.

I took off faster then I had planned, because I was trying to maneuver between a lot of walkers, not to mention the race day adrenalin. Strava reported at 1/2 mile a full minute faster pace than I wanted. Oh well.

About 3/4 miles in, I got a beautiful view of the Queen Mary. I just had to stop and take a pic.

So a mile in, I finally settled in on a pace, but had to take a few walking breaks every once in a while. I kept on seeing a husband and wife pushing their jogging stroller, so I decided that they're the right pace for me for the middle part of the race, so I chatted with them for a while. The wife had actually recently completed the C25K herself, so that was nice to hear another C25K success story.

At 2 3/4 miles, I wanted to pick it up at the end. Turned out at that exact moment, a really cute asian girl had just passed me so she became my unintentional pacer. I followed her while admiring her... er... running form... to keep me distracted while pushing my body faster than I have ever before.

It didn't last very long because she stopped to walk with about 200 m to go. I tried to encourage her and help to pace her, but she declined. So I had to take the finish line on my own. Luckily the crowd pushed me to the finish.

I got my medal and high-fived the Aquarium of the Pacific shark mascot and headed straight for the banana and Gatorade station.

Official race results: I finished at 42:40, placed 295 out of 486, and 35 out of 43 in my division (40-49 Male).

Unofficially, Strava reported a 5K distance time of 42:15. And PRs on all distances up to 5K except 400m where I ran my 2nd fastest. Overall a very good run.

And here's my obligatory Finish Line photo:

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 09-09-2013 at 01:53 PM.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #763
Kodos
Resident Alien

Sounds like you had fun. Good job!
Old 09-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #764
HerRealName
College Prospect

To recap:

My last race:
Scenery was mostly corn fields with the occasional excitement of a bean field.
My pacer was a dude with a horrendous running shorts issue

Your race:
Palm trees, marina, water front
Cute asian girl

I may be a little jealous. Great job!
Old 09-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #765
Ben E Lou

Well, the doc SAID I was allowed to do incline treadmill work.

Seriously, I am beyond thrilled right now. I went to the gym and walked for 50 minutes on the treadmill. 5-minute warmup, then 40 minutes at 3.0 to 3.6mph with a 15% incline, then a 5-minute cooldown. I was able to get the heart rate up above 160, averaged 140, and burned over 500 calories per my HRM. To compare that with a recent pre-surgery workout, on 8/31 I did a 45-minute run at recovery pace for me (9:44 per mile). Average HR was 137 and I burned 482 calories. So it looks like I can get very similar aerobic benefits as recovery-paced runs--maybe a little better if I stay on the high end of that speed range. Next time I go, I'll just stay at 3.5 or 3.6mph the whole time, I think. It's not the same as being able to work in speed work and long runs, but it's a ton better than what I thought I'd be able to do.

polarpersonaltrainer.com

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 09-09-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #766
Radii
Head Coach

Congrats ABC! And Ben, glad to hear recovery is going along nicely and you aren't totally held back!

I just made an appointment with my doctor for next week. Lower back pain, neck pain, upper back pain, and a "tingling" sensation in my middle back that comes and goes, all of this is new within the last few weeks. I never pulled anything or had one instant where I felt like I'd hurt myself. None of it is really holding me back right now, all of it is intermittant and *most* of the time is fairly mild, but obviously something is up. I am worried that there is a change in my mechanics (wrong term?) from the orthotics that is causing problems, but I spend most of my time sitting so I've been looking at my bed/desk/computer chair/posture as things to improve upon first.

I dropped back to just walking a couple weeks ago and will continue to do that, I'd been feeling real out of sorts when trying to run here and there, wasn't feeling like I was improving or gaining fitness back, and decided that maybe it was best for me to try to go for a nice brisk walk every day, at least for now.

Its been a pretty frustrating summer at times! But I know I'm trying to reverse like 15 years of bad eating and non-existent exercise habits, so I know its not going to be easy or just happen overnight, etc, etc.

Last edited by Radii : 09-09-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #767
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Grats ABC, and Ben glad your recovery is going well so far. Sorry to hear about your struggles Radii, keep strong though, I am sure you will turn the corner and it will all be worth it.

As for me, my half marathon race is this Sunday, and every possible thing that could go unplanned has been. I had to travel this week for work, which was not ideal right before the race. I'll make the most of it though as best I can around everything in the work schedule.

For my foot, my prescribed antibiotics are done with, so pretty sure now all that is left is the healing of the injured foot pad where the hole is. It only really hurts when I walk on hard wood floors barefoot, so been trying to wear shoes or at least socks as much as possible.

When running in my running shoes, it is not a stabbing pain, but more just a dull throbbing the entire time that gets worse the longer I go on. On my 8 mile run, by the end it was aching a bit, but on my shorter runs its been tolerable. At this point I'm just going to suck it up and run with the throbbing this week and then for the race. The doctor said it wouldn't injure it further, it basically acts like a bruise at this point. He said if it is bad I can take an advil, but going to try to avoid that.

In Spoilers, a bonus picture for anyone that wants to see the actual wound It no longer is bloody, and the surface has healed to scab over and become a black looking spot where the hole was made. Fun fun!

Spoiler

Edit: Oh.. and after running 4 miles here in Long Island, I went for all you can eat sushi.. which was either the best thing ever or a really bad idea. I'm not sure which

Last edited by Alan T : 09-09-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #768
HerRealName
College Prospect

Alan, the picture of your sexy foot brought up a memory. I cut the bottom of my foot one summer just before a big summer basketball camp. The doctor also gave me a pad to use but cut out a section in the pad where the cut was. It had to be taped to stay in place but it kept me from putting pressure on the wound itself. Just a thought...
Old 09-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #769
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Just like they would do for runners with blisters.

Edit: you can probably find such blister pads at your local drugstore.

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 09-09-2013 at 09:27 PM.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #770
Kodos
Resident Alien

Run Of The Dead - A Zombie 5K to benefit the YMCA | ACTIVE

Has anyone done one of these?
Old 09-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #771
Ben E Lou

55 minutes with a 147 average heart rate on the incline treadmill today. The numbers for calorie burn and heart rate compare very closely to a 6-mile run that I did a week before the surgery at a 9:16 pace. Here's that run:

polarpersonaltrainer.com

Here's today's treadmill walk:

polarpersonaltrainer.com

Very happy to get that kind of heart rate elevation for an extended period of time without doing any running.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #772
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Getting a little nervous as the 5k approaches. The past two runs have been of the 2 mile variety since I was pinched on time. Today's run was 3.3 miles but was way off on pace.

11 more days.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:07 AM   #773
Ben E Lou

Woot! iSmoothRun released an update with support for my Polar Bluetooth stride sensor. Very timely, given that I'm doing treadmill walks right now. They also added an auto-export to MyFitnessPal in this update.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #774
Ben E Lou

Comparison of some runs of similar heart rate to my incline treadmill work the last three days:

(The "load" column is the "Training Load" that Polar calculates to estimate how hard you worked and how ready you are to train again the next day.)

So, a few questions/observations here:

1. Has anyone had any experience doing this sort of high-incline walking for a time and transitioning back to running? (Or using high-incline walking as part of your ongoing training program.) If so, what should expect?
2. I weigh a bit less than I did prior to the surgery. (I'm 181.6 today, was around 184-186 for the three runs.) With weight change factored in, the calories per minute numbers are extremely similar, and the heart rates on the walks are actually a hair higher overall than the three runs. Does this really mean that I'm getting as good (or better) cardio benefits per minute with the incline walking?
3. It feels like my legs are working much harder to do the incline walking than the running. (duh) Am I correct in thinking that these sorts of workouts will end up strengthening my lower body better than running?
4. Of course it could be that the surgery has taken some out of me, but I definitely feel like I'm working harder in these walks than I was in the runs, even though I'm indoors with cooler temperatures. The Polar Training Load numbers per minute would seem to agree with that assessment? Am I correct in assuming that's because the leg muscles are having to work harder, even though the heart rate isn't significantly higher?

Anyway, interesting stuff, and I'd appreciate any input anyone might have. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #775
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Finally started running again this week after a 3 week hiatus, but my Garmin seems to have bit the dust. So that blows.

Also, I took a new job that I started this week, and my new run-commute is much shorter (3 miles vs 4.5). So that's not as great either. And I may have to give up run-commuting because we may need a second car so I can help take the kids to or from school. So that's not so great either.

So basically, my running life has had a seismic upheaval this month. Hopefully I can work out some kind of new routine before the snow hits.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:40 AM   #776
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Ugh, this week has been rough. My foot and lack of time from business travel demotivated my running a little bit, and my mother was in a car accident while visiting my sister in Canada and is having some issues with the hospital and her insurance back in the United States (as well as the surgery she needs).. and that has led me to a little stress eating for the first time in a long time.

End result, I'm up about 6-7 pounds and in no good shape for the race on Sunday. Drove home last night in the flash floods and time to turn this ship around before I really get worse.. Ugh what a miserable week.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:55 PM   #777
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Well the race went far better than I imagined it would. Still on the way home so have not had a chance to sync my run yet, but I believe the half marathon time was possibly just under 1 hour 55 minutes.

Felt great most of the race. Completely just ignored my sore foot and pretended it was not there and cruised the first 8 miles -- pretty sure I have a new 10k PR in there somewhere too when I sync.

The weather was beautiful, didn't even need to drink anything the entire run. Only issue I ran into was a stupid side stitch around mile 9-10 which hampered me for about 15 minutes, but worked it out and finished strong. Most of the laps were in the 8:45 range, some as fast as 8:23-8:30 I seem to recall from my watch while running. Only slow laps was a 9:04 for the first lap as I was trying to dodge all the slow runners and then I think 9:20-9:25 when working out the side stitch for two miles.

Over all totally ecstatic as I made my big goal for the summer of a sub two hour half marathon as well as other various goals such as a new 10k PR mixed in. I don't think I ran any 5k segments fast enough for a new PR there, but will see when I sync.

Time to enjoy a few easy down weeks of running and biking while I figure out what my main winter goal will be. I am so pumped right now. Completely opposite of where I was earlier this week mentally.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #778
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Alan, this is awesome! Well done! I'd missed your previous update or else I'd have tried to cheer you up a bit. But working through that side stitch, and not caring about the foot, you went into beast mode for that race, very impressive!

For me, I had my longest run EVER this morning. Plan was for a 10 miler at a fairly easy pace but around the 7th mile or so, I felt so good I starteda adding some tempo work to it, even some hills reps and ended up stretching out the run to 18 km, or about 11.3 miles. This was a distance I was aiming for since there's a local race that is a loop around a local lake that you can sign up to do once for 6k, twice for 12k or three times for 18k. I was thinking about the 18k but had never ran that long in any of my runs. Now with it done, I'll just have to work on the pacing a but, but I'm signing up in a few minutes...

FM
Old 09-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #779
hoopsguy
General Manager

Awesome to hear that you had a half marathon where you were proud of effort and results. Will be interested to hear about next round of goals.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #780
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Thanks guys! Here is the list of achievements for me this morning:

So excited! All of the summer's hard work in stupid high humidity paid off!!

Old 09-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #781
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Dola...

Not sure if you all have seen. on Strava, the FOFC club has a club leaderboard in there now. Not sure when that was added!

Old 09-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #782
HerRealName
College Prospect

I just saw the upload - great job, Alan. I was thinking you shattered your goal and it looks like you did. It's great to see all of your hard work pay off.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:35 PM   #783
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Great Job, Alan!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:55 PM   #784
kingfc22
Head Coach

Awesome Alan!
Old 09-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #785
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Very impressive run, Alan!
Old 09-16-2013, 02:51 AM   #786
Icy
Pro Starter

Awesome job Alan, and just the week you were feeling bad, way to turn things around!

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:02 AM   #787
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Thanks guys, definitely one of my happier moments!

Old 09-16-2013, 07:27 AM   #788
Ben E Lou

Congrats and great job, Alan!

Just got back from the most encouraging inclined treadmill walk yet:

Walk Profile | Incline treadmill one hour at mostly 3.6/15% | Times and Records | Strava

It's not showing on the site, but my phone is showing a Suffer Score of 185. I've only gotten a SS higher than that on a run of around an hour once--way back in May when I weighed 45 more pounds than I do now and did my first sub-one-hour 10K, it was 196.

Average heart rate of 162 today. I could only find one other run with a heart rate that high: my 10K PR run on 8/20: Run Profile | 10K Self-Race For Training Pace Recalc | Times and Records | Strava

So basically I'm inclined (heh) to treat today's cardio like a very hard run and do a "recovery walk" tomorrow, keeping the heart rate around 140-145, then do another "hard walk" on Thursday. Boredom probably won't allow me to do a 2-hour long walk this weekend, but I might try finding a movie I want to watch on Netflix and giving it a go.

All in all, I'm very encouraged about what is seeming to be the inevitability of losing very little aerobic fitness during my no-running time.

And y'all can start yelling at me now, but the wife even agrees with me that with the way these treadmill walks have gone, the 10/20 Myrtle Beach HM is back on the table as a possibility. If I am cleared to run at my 9/24 Dr. appointment, I'm thinking that I'll do easy runs that rest of that week, and if they go well, do a typical-for-me 5-run week the week of 9/30, then a 2-week taper down to race day.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 09-16-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:51 AM   #789
Kodos
Resident Alien

You guys are inspirational!
Old 09-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #790
cuervo72
Head Coach

Kickass, Alan!
Old 09-16-2013, 08:53 AM   #791
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post

And y'all can start yelling at me now, but the wife even agrees with me that with the way these treadmill walks have gone, the 10/20 Myrtle Beach HM is back on the table as a possibility. If I am cleared to run at my 9/24 Dr. appointment, I'm thinking that I'll do easy runs that rest of that week, and if they go well, do a typical-for-me 5-run week the week of 9/30, then a 2-week taper down to race day.

Any aerobic fitness that you did lose from a few weeks off will come back quicker this time around anyways. I don't honestly think you'll have to worry too much about the aerobic fitness lost aspect here. The one thing that I personally would worry about for you is the physical difference between running and walking on your legs/feet/lower body.

Walking and running uses different muscle groups and it could be easy if rushed back in to encounter some weird leg pains such as shin splints, etc that you wouldn't have normally expected. So I think ramping back up miles even at an easy pace, just to get the miles under your legs after cleared to run will help reduce any risk there of injury. I don't think you would want to ramp that up quickly from 0 to 40 miles per week obviously.

Also since you have already been forced to taper due to surgery, you won't have 12+ weeks of build up fatigue in your legs. I don't know if you necessarily need a full two week taper before a half marathon. It might be more important in my opinion to get those miles built back up comfortably at this point. You probably want to back off the intensity of the workouts two weeks prior (partially because any aerobic gains from high intensity workouts is not going to even apply any longer within a two week window), but I would likely only start backing off on miles the week of the race myself.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #792
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Any aerobic fitness that you did lose from a few weeks off will come back quicker this time around anyways. I don't honestly think you'll have to worry too much about the aerobic fitness lost aspect here. The one thing that I personally would worry about for you is the physical difference between running and walking on your legs/feet/lower body.

Walking and running uses different muscle groups and it could be easy if rushed back in to encounter some weird leg pains such as shin splints, etc that you wouldn't have normally expected. So I think ramping back up miles even at an easy pace, just to get the miles under your legs after cleared to run will help reduce any risk there of injury. I don't think you would want to ramp that up quickly from 0 to 40 miles per week obviously.

Also since you have already been forced to taper due to surgery, you won't have 12+ weeks of build up fatigue in your legs. I don't know if you necessarily need a full two week taper before a half marathon. It might be more important in my opinion to get those miles built back up comfortably at this point. You probably want to back off the intensity of the workouts two weeks prior (partially because any aerobic gains from high intensity workouts is not going to even apply any longer within a two week window), but I would likely only start backing off on miles the week of the race myself.
I could see that. Given that I ran hard 12 hours before the surgery and started pushing the heart rate again 3 days afterward, I'm assuming the taper you're speaking of is mainly leg tiredness.

There are so many wild cards involved here that I really don't know what to expect. As you said, the different muscles being used are a wild card. I'm really working *some* of the running muscles by doing this stuff, but not all of them. And then there's the fact that I weigh 10 pounds less than the last time I did a "self-race" to recalc training paces and whatnot. Oh yeah, and it has been 8-12 degrees cooler in the mornings the last week or so here than it has been for months. And knowing me, this week and a half coming up of mirroring run heart rates will yield higher heart rates than I was doing when I was running, thus likely pushing aerobic fitness up another notch and probably dropping a little more weight. And my running form may suffer a bit because I'm unintentionally trying to protect my right side from jostling too much.

All that taken into consideration, I figure that if I return to running next week, I'll either not run in the HM at all because of post-surgery pain/injury, or crush my HM goal time.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #793
AnalBumCover
College Starter

DC Rainmaker just posted a First Look preview of the Garmin Forerunner 220 and 620.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #794
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
DC Rainmaker just posted a First Look preview of the Garmin Forerunner 220 and 620.

I saw those earlier.. the 220 looks pretty nice compared to the 210, but I'm thinking my next watch is going to probably let me connect a bike speed/cadence sensor which the 210 doesn't (and it doesn't look like the 220 will either).

Old 09-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #795
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Hey guys, this is the last thread I thought I would ever be posting in because I have hated running ever since I can remember.

I can't say I'm particularly fond of it just yet but in an effort to slim down and improve my overall physical fitness (for whatever reason, the post highlighting Ben's transformation was the spark I needed) I started eating better and trying to exercise regularly.

So far, so good...down from 235 to 220 since mid-August and am enjoying the fact that my clothes are too big and that, eventually, I'll get to go out and buy some new stuff!

Anyway, I spent the morning scanning through this thread and probably have a half dozen or so new tabs waiting to be read because there seems to be a lot of valuable advice/info spouting out of you guys...who knew?!

I've been using RunKeeper to track my activities thus far but decided to join you guys on Strava and the Fitleagues for the added social aspect of it all. So, if you notice "John Hunter" or "jryhunter" pinging you, that's me.

Being a noob at the running business I probably overdid it despite spending 3 weeks walking regularly to try and get my body ready for running because the last few runs have not been fun on my knees. My last attempt was Saturday morning and my knees were fine for the first KM but started to hurt towards the end of that so I started to walk. I tried running again a little while later but they hurt quite a bit so I decided it would be best to just to finish the rest of my run by walking as quickly and as comfortably as I could. Oh well.

My knees aren't aching nearly as much as they have been the last few days so hopefully that means I can get back out there and continue my assault on the sidewalks of Sherwood Park again soon. :P
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #796
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Johnny, great to have you join us!

When I first started, I had a ton of knee pain myself. If you were like me and mostly non-active, it takes a while for the body to get used to the wear and tear. It looks like you've been doing great so far just by starting. I would highly encourage you to try out a couch to 5k program even though it looks like you started off with 3 mile runs anyways. You don't have to start on day 1 necessarily, but those programs help you get started and gradually ramp you up in intensity in an effort to try to not kill you at the start.

Almost all of us started where you are, so feel free to join in the conversations and let us root you on in your progress too!

Old 09-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #797
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Thanks for the welcome, Alan...much appreciated.

I appreciate the advice about trying out a couch to 5k program and I had checked one out before I started down this path but decided to alter it a bit based on how I felt. The first few walks were a breeze so I upped the distance and tried to push the pace whenever possible. When it suggested running I didn't feel like I was ready so I just continued to walk until I felt like I could handle it.

Well, guess my knees didn't think I was ready afterall.

Another factor I didn't really consider until last week was the terrain. I've been running in my neighbourhood on the sidewalk and unfortunately, there are plenty of dips (every driveway) so I finally found a route that is about 75% flat and hope that helps out with the knee issues.

So, the question is, do I try to run through the pain or just keep walking until there is no pain? I suspect walking, or nothing at all, would be the best answer, right?
Old 09-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #798
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post

So, the question is, do I try to run through the pain or just keep walking until there is no pain? I suspect walking, or nothing at all, would be the best answer, right?

Regarding the sidewalks.. if your sidewalks are cement, you might find it more comfortable to run on the asphalt road instead since asphalt is a softer running surface than concrete is. (As long as it is a safe or low traffic place to be able to run on the road). I tend to run in the road myself when it is safe for that reason.

As for what to do with the pain... There will be various forms of pain that come up from time to time, but generally if it is muscle soreness, that can be run through easier than joint pains. I would take it easy when dealing with knees or other joints because you don't want to introduce injury. It is pretty rough on the body to go from no running at all to running 3+ miles or multiple days in a row. Especially starting out, getting in rest days and ramping up is important.

One thing that sometimes helps with some pains such as knee pains or shin pains or such could simply be a case of needing better running shoes or different running shoes support wise. Or it might be a case where your running mechanics are more prone to heavier impact on your joints (ie: a shorter stride and quicker cadence tends to put less impact on knees/legs than a longer stride does, and landing mid-foot or mid-front foot tends to put less impact on your leg than landing on your heel would.)

I guess my belief is that any exercise is better than no exercise and you don't want to push yourself so hard where you just don't want to do it anymore. So take it easy with the knees, walk some or if you can mix in other forms of less impact cardio like elliptical or biking that might help too. In the end though, you'll have to do the running to train your legs to do more running. Just take it easy as you start and ramp up gradually in both distance and intensity.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #799
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Yes, the sidewalks are concrete but running on the road in the neighbourhood would be tough because there are just too many cars parked on the street to make it safe. But, the long stretch of my latest run is on an asphalt path so maybe I need to walk the first km of concrete sidewalks and then run on the asphalt path...there's an idea.

When I started down this road I did buy myself some Saucony Ride 5 runners...by no means high end but better than the old Nikes I was sporting. They feel comfortable and seem to be very supportive. So, hopefully shoes isn't the issue with my knees and more about just my body adjusting to something new.

I think I'll ice my knees again tonight and see how they feel in the morning or tomorrow evening and hopefully I'll be back at it soon.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #800
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Oh, to the guys who use both RunKeeper and Strava on your smartphones, do you run both apps during your activity or just one of them? Having just installed Stava today, are there any benefits to using it instead of RunKeeper during my activity?