Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #201
Ryan S
Quarterback

One hour of skating practice and then my first 10k for almost a decade this afternoon. I am going to feel this in the morning.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #202
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
I want to claw my eyes out right now. 70 degrees here and I can't do anything but suck meds and watch Breaking Bad. GAHHH.

I can't even imagine, I think I would go crazy. It is bad enough on my rest days that I always feel like going out and doing -something- and completely ignoring my rest day.. if I was forced to break for a while due to injury I would probably find many bad habits.

In other news... every time I get within striking distance of Northwood_DK, He pulls off some huge run and buries me again I was within 17k or so and was contemplating running a little further than I should to try to catch up and then he runs an awesome 14 mile run. Well on good news, he probably saved me from hurting myself trying to run 13 miles myself a little too soon before I was ready

Last edited by Alan T : 05-20-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #203
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Dola...

Sometimes I love Strava. Went for a lunch time bike ride today, and ended up riding a 5 mile segment that was pretty heavily ridden (for my area at least since it is not a city or anything). I look at the list and see my Doctor is on the list from last year. Turns out he's a pretty decent cyclist

Old 05-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #204
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Dola...

Sometimes I love Strava. Went for a lunch time bike ride today, and ended up riding a 5 mile segment that was pretty heavily ridden (for my area at least since it is not a city or anything). I look at the list and see my Doctor is on the list from last year. Turns out he's a pretty decent cyclist
This is why I love Strava. The segment component is genius.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #205
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
In other news... every time I get within striking distance of Northwood_DK, He pulls off some huge run and buries me again I was within 17k or so and was contemplating running a little further than I should to try to catch up and then he runs an awesome 14 mile run. Well on good news, he probably saved me from hurting myself trying to run 13 miles myself a little too soon before I was ready

Glad to keep you on your toes.

I spend the weekend in Copenhagen with the family and it turned out this was the weekend of the Copenhagen Marathon. The start and finish was literally on the other side of the road from the hotel and my wife almost talked me inn to register the day before the race. In the end I could not get my head around it but I did get a nice 10km done around the lakes in the center of Copenhagen.

Watching the race did inspire me for today’s run. The pace I ran today will give me a finish time at 3:45.
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #206
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Fucking studs up in here.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:27 AM   #207
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Well I have to go out of town again this weekend, so my long-shot pipe dream of hitting 120 by the end of the month is officially over. I will probably end up at about 90.

You guys that have already hit numbers like 160 are amazing, hats off to you.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #208
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Well I have to go out of town again this weekend, so my long-shot pipe dream of hitting 120 by the end of the month is officially over. I will probably end up at about 90.

You guys that have already hit numbers like 160 are amazing, hats off to you.

I am going camping this weekend and next week is my taper week before my Race on June 1st. So I'm likely going to find time in between thunderstorms today and tomorrow to run, and then only easy stuff all next week for me. I'm 3k from my goal though so pretty happy with what I was able to do this month.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:01 AM   #209
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I was hoping to get 80 miles running in this month and I hit that number yesterday. Shooting for 100 now.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #210
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
Fucking studs up in here.

Maybe we need a less intimidating C25K thread for us beginning runners.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #211
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
Maybe we need a less intimidating C25K thread for us beginning runners.
No shame in going shorter distances and/or more slowly. The slowest runner/walker in this thread is lapping well over half the population, 'cause they're on the couch.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #212
Icy
Pro Starter

I have purchased a mountain bike today, want to ride it a couple of days per week for some cross training/active recovery, so i'll run 3 times per week, ride the bike two, and rest the other two days.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #213
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

My wife woke up at 5am this morning to go run. She has been suffering with the sudden 80 degrees with 80+% humidity we have had lately. With her bad lung condition, I guess it is hitting her harder than me.. she had to walk a good percentage of her run yesterday afternoon and she is feeling very frustrated and discouraged right now because of it.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #214
Ben E Lou

Still want to improve, but hit a fun milestone a few minutes ago: first time doing 10K in under an hour.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #215
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
The slowest runner/walker in this thread is lapping well over half the population, 'cause they're on the couch.

{waves}
Old 05-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #216
cuervo72
Head Coach

Dang, nice, Ben. When is your half marathon?

Need to get back to running here - been riding my bike a lot with my son (did today), but need to get out there w/o it.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #217
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Dang, nice, Ben. When is your half marathon?

Need to get back to running here - been riding my bike a lot with my son (did today), but need to get out there w/o it.
Hehehe. No, I don't see me ever having interest in doing anything much longer than a 10K. My best guess is that 8 miles is as far as I'll ever run. (My longest run so far is 7 miles.)
Old 05-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #218
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
{waves}
I suspect that if I could weigh in the range of what I suspect you weigh without doing much/any meaningful exercise, I'd be spending a lot more time on the couch too.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 05-25-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #219
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Still want to improve, but hit a fun milestone a few minutes ago: first time doing 10K in under an hour.

I saw that run, nice job!

Old 05-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #220
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Next month's Strava Challenge is the Junedoggle. Similar to the May Massive, it awards badges for 40K/80K/120K/160K run for the month of June.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #221
Ben E Lou

Quote:
So is there a way to get a GPS device that connects to the iPhone that makes apps like RunKeeper actually accurate? For today's run I used multiple apps to measure as a test and got these results:

RunKeeper: 4.36 miles in 44:50
MapMyFitness: 4.44 miles in 44:49
Strava: 4.5 miles in 45:15
Polar Beat: 4.46 miles in 44:50

I also hooked up my Polar GPS watch that uses satellites, so totally independent of the iPhone. It said 4.11 miles in 44:43. I then took our new-ish (bought brand spanking new 6 months ago) car on the same route and it measured 4.1 by the odometer. That car also has a Garmin GPS that came up with 4.1, so I'm feeling pretty confident that the 4.11 from the Polar GPS is correct. But is there a device similar to it that uses satellite triangulation (and doesn't cost me a small fortune) that will, for example, make the Runkeeper chick tell me the *correct* time and speed??? I guess I'm saying I want something will override the iPhone's internal GPS in one of the apps. Does that make sense, and does such a thing exist? If not, I guess I can just use the watch and look down at it, but I'd prefer not to have to do that...
Update on this: after further experimentation and observation, I'm fairly certain that this issue was caused by my armband not holding the phone snugly enough to my arm. I tested with the phone in the car, as mentioned in this thread, and it was perfect. Later on I noticed that when I put it in the cupholder of the jogging stroller, the mileage was also perfect. But in my pocket or an armband and it was always reporting the run as longer than it really was. For the past 3-4 weeks I've just been running with it in my hand with a firm grip. Now when I overlay my runs onto Google Maps, they're extremely close. Today I got 3.16 miles on the phone, 3.16 miles on Google Maps. I'm coming in within .03ish miles of Google Maps on every single run since I started just holding it.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:13 PM   #222
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Hehehe. No, I don't see me ever having interest in doing anything much longer than a 10K. My best guess is that 8 miles is as far as I'll ever run. (My longest run so far is 7 miles.)

Well, I didn't run farther than that that many times before mine, really. My training plan basically had me adding a mile to each weekly long run. I had some extra weeks in there, but there were some long runs that I missed too (one weekend we were in OC MD and I just ran 4.5 consecutive mornings). Maybe 6-8 times at 7+? I really don't think you'd be very far off.

Me, I've been sitting on my couch too much and feel good finishing 3mi (and today, did not).
Old 05-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #223
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Looks like a few of you have already joined, but there's an additional Strava Challenge for the 10K runners out there.

Any Way 10K

Run a 10K between June 15 and 16. Rankings are sorted by fasted time.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #224
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Looks like a few of you have already joined, but there's an additional Strava Challenge for the 10K runners out there.

Any Way 10K

need to find a good all-downhill 10k stretch.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #225
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Here are my proposed realigned teams for June, based on preliminary May Massive results. This can also be used for the Any Way 10K Challenge as well.

Team Trout
Thomas Nordskov (Northwood_DK)
Stephen Venable (digamma)
Dave Harris (Fidatelo)
Ivan Carillo (Icy)
Doug Timms (lighthousekeeper)
Daniel Schoonover (DanGarion)
Jason Wood (sabotai)
David Driscoll-Carignan (Draft Dodger)

Team Colossal Squid
Alan Baker (Alan T)
Ben Lewis (Ben E Lou)
Richard Dixon (Radii)
David Gonzalez (kingfc22)
Rob Ordona (AnalBumCover)
Ryan Stevenson (Ryan S)
Chris Shue (Subby)
Lorena Marks (Dodgerchick)
Old 05-29-2013, 11:09 AM   #226
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Just a warning, I'm finishing up a training cycle and have two races in June. I don't start my next training cycle till the end of the month, so will primarily just be base building in between the races during June. I don't nearly expect to run as much next month as this month. My best guess is that I'll put in right around 100 miles.

Now if there is one of these things in August, watch out! My half marathon training plan will likely have me around 200 miles in that month

Old 05-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #227
Kodos
Resident Alien

Having ignored this thread for a while, I finally peeked in today. Just signed up for Runkeeper and Strava. I have been doing a lot of walking lately thanks to my new pedometer (averaging over 10,000 steps a day), but I've been thinking I should give running a try again. Maybe this will help push me into doing that. Anyhow, I joined the FOFC group.

Last edited by Kodos : 05-29-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #228
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Having ignored this thread for a while, I finally peeked in today. Just signed up for Runkeeper and Strava. I have been doing a lot of walking lately thanks to my new pedometer (averaging over 10,000 steps a day), but I've been thinking I should give running a try again. Maybe this will help push me into doing that. Anyhow, I joined the FOFC group.

Cool, welcome!

Old 05-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #229
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:

Any Way 10K

I lucked out, I'm running a half-marathon on the 16th so I will complete this challenge without any extra effort on my part
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 05-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #230
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I lucked out, I'm running a half-marathon on the 16th so I will complete this challenge without any extra effort on my part

Which half-marathon are you running?

Old 05-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #231
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Which half-marathon are you running?

The Manitoba Marathon: Home - Manitoba Marathon

Last year I set a PB of 1:35:35. I'd like to beat that time this year, but I think the odds are against me. Weather will play a major role, as always, and last years weather was about as perfectly suited to me as I could hope for.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:02 AM   #232
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

So I'm done running for the month. Today and tomorrow I am taking off to rest for a 10k race on Saturday. My goal for the month was to run 110 miles, and I ended up running 123 miles (198 km) [Strava only shows 192k, not sure why the difference, but no big deal].

Either way, I'm pretty happy with the month and the training I put in and I think I am very ready for the 10k race. My training went as I hoped, and my legs will be fresh and I don't have any injuries so all things considered pretty much everything in my control is good.

My goal for this year was to finish a 10k race in under an hour, and during my training I came close so the adrenaline boost from the race should hopefully be sufficient to get me to my goal. According to my VO2 score of 33 (which is not great at all), I should be able to run it around a 58 minute and I'm actually hopeful that I could beat that even, but 1 hour is my main goal.

My big concern is going to be the weather though.. considering 60 degrees is the ideal max temperature, this weekend is going to be hot here, 80+% humidity with temperature in the high 90s (Saturday high of 96 degrees). At race time of 9am, it should be around 77 degrees I am thinking and a 70-80% humidity.. which is not ideal at all.

Based on Daniels table for projected adverse impact of high temperature for 5k times, the difference between 60 degrees and 80 degrees is almost a minute. If that is expanded out to a 10k race, my guess is that would remove my 2 minute buffer and put me dangerously close to the 1 hour time I am trying to beat... So I guess we will see how it goes..

Old 05-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #233
HerRealName
College Prospect

Good luck, I don't participate in a lot of organized races but I usually do better than I expect. You've prepared well so you should do fine. Just taking a couple days off will help a lot.

One thing with the humidity - protect those nips. I've done two organized runs this month, one in high humidity and last weekend just a 10K in a steady drizzle. Both races had a lot of guys suffering from the red streaks. Looks like pure torture.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #234
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

The days off will help a lot, as well the adrenaline. The other thing I've found that makes races so much different is the 'chase' mindset. I find I'm always trying to hunt down the person in front of me (assuming they aren't pulling away from me) which leads me to run just that little bit faster than I probably would if I was alone.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #235
Subby
lolzcat

Alan - good luck in your 10k!

I am supposed to be in a sling for another week and a half. Once it is off I am going to give running a try. Ribs are pretty good for the most part (I can laugh and sneeze without pain). Doc says no bike until September, but we'll see about that.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #236
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

just signed up for both Strava and Runkeeper after doing mission #1 of Zombies, Run! Did it part walking part jogging for 38 minutes. In fact, I went out and ran for my own pleasure for the first time IN MY LIFE, really. Always hated running and only have done it when I was forced to in the past. But it felt nice out there tonight, enjoyed the music while walking and running intervals...

Don't know how often I'll be doing this but my schedule with the dojo should clear up some with the Summer schedule and I've been wanting to go out there and at least walk more...

Which of these two has an FOFC group I can join?

FM
Old 05-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #237
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Strava has the FOFC group. Look earlier in this thread for the link. (I'm on my phone, don't know how to link)
Old 05-30-2013, 10:11 PM   #238
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Awesome FrogMan, welcome to the club!
Old 05-30-2013, 10:13 PM   #239
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Strava has the FOFC group. Look earlier in this thread for the link. (I'm on my phone, don't know how to link)

thanks, found the link. Couldn't find it via search as it always tried to find something in my local area...

FM
Old 05-30-2013, 10:13 PM   #240
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

oh, and I'm probably showing up as Steve Gougeon in both places. Don't remember entering a username at either place...

FM
Old 05-30-2013, 10:14 PM   #241
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Dola, anyone else using GarminSync to push stuff to Strava? I've been finding it has massive delays lately. For instance I uploaded todays commute home to Garmin Connect right when I got home. Over 5 hours later and it still hasn't shown up on Strava.

I did do the 'sign up for Strava again to make sure it works after May 30th' thing after my last run, so maybe that's the issue? But this isn't the first time it's taken hours and hours to upload, either.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:07 AM   #242
Icy
Pro Starter

Welcome Kodos and Frogman!

Since I have started to do cross training, one day run and one day mountain bike, i feel i'm improving a lot while feeling fresh and not tired the next day.

Running is way more demanding than biking (also harder on the joints) so the biking days are like semi rest days, even when i'm also starting to push myself more with the bike.

I have lost 3 pounds in the past 3 weeks, and by the runkeeper goal set, i'm in good pace to my 20 pounds loss goal until the end of the year, but the last days i'm having a hard time controlling my hunger, probably due to the extra calories burned so i excuse myself saying "i burned a good amount today so i can afford this" and i really do... if i wanted to keep my weight, not to keep losing.

Last edited by Icy : 05-31-2013 at 02:08 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:24 AM   #243
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
just signed up for both Strava and Runkeeper after doing mission #1 of Zombies, Run! Did it part walking part jogging for 38 minutes. In fact, I went out and ran for my own pleasure for the first time IN MY LIFE, really. Always hated running and only have done it when I was forced to in the past. But it felt nice out there tonight, enjoyed the music while walking and running intervals...

Welcome to the club FM!

Quote:
Dola, anyone else using GarminSync to push stuff to Strava? I've been finding it has massive delays lately. For instance I uploaded todays commute home to Garmin Connect right when I got home. Over 5 hours later and it still hasn't shown up on Strava.

I did do the 'sign up for Strava again to make sure it works after May 30th' thing after my last run, so maybe that's the issue? But this isn't the first time it's taken hours and hours to upload, either.

Garminsync has been having delays alot lately. Best guess I can see is that there has been more users than originally anticipated, and it has been causing them more resources and thus the slowness. I've been seeing the same as you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post

I have lost 3 pounds in the past 3 weeks, and by the runkeeper goal set, i'm in good pace to my 20 pounds loss goal until the end of the year, but the last days i'm having a hard time controlling my hunger, probably due to the extra calories burned so i excuse myself saying "i burned a good amount today so i can afford this" and i really do... if i wanted to keep my weight, not to keep losing.

I have had something similar happen the past month or two, where my fast weight loss has slowed down to roughly 1/2 pound a week. I've read alot on it and what I have found is the more you push yourself physically, the more that you'll need to refuel. Intense training on a calorie deficit is just as unhealthy as overeating, or perhaps even more so. From what I have read, many people who train hard for marathons (80+ miles run a week) actually gain a little weight during their training cycle. Your hunger is just your body letting you know that it does need more.

There is still much that I don't understand about nutrition combined with exercise, and there are some great books that have been recommended to me that I haven't read yet on the subject, but the initial summary that I have come to understand is that you can work on weight loss as your primary goal and keep a base level of exercise to retain fitness (often marathoners or the like will try to lose weight in base-building pre-training plan stage), but once you start back in on the intense training schedule, you really need to keep the number of calories your body needs or you'll end up suffering from poor workouts, lack of energy during your exercise, etc.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:27 PM   #244
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

FOFC May Massive Results (final, unless someone is late in uploading results):

Team A
Chris Shue
160 Ben Lewis
80 Richard Dixon
80 Stephen Venable
Jason Wood
160 Northwood_DK
-----------------------
480 pts

Team B
40 Rob Ordona
160 Alan Baker
40 Ryan Stevenson
80 Dave Harris
40 David Gonzalez
40 Doug Timms
40 Icy
-----------------------
440 pts

Wow - was a lot closer than I expected!
Old 06-01-2013, 04:11 AM   #245
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Great job everyone. I enjoy seeing everyone's stuff each upload too.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #246
Kodos
Resident Alien

Did my first run this morning. Just a 20 minute run to get started and not get too ambitious. Last summer, I ran for 3 miles on my first run, which was a little too much. Wanted to be a little more conservative this time.

Anyhow, I ran 2.15 miles in 20 minutes for a 9:19 pace, with mile splits of 9:26 & 9:19. Not a bad start. I think all the walking I've been doing recently helped me a bit. I walked 3 miles afterward to cool down.

Can't get my info from RunKeeper to Strava. Must be a step I am missing...

Last edited by Kodos : 06-01-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #247
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Did my first run this morning. Just a 20 minute run to get started and not get too ambitious. Last summer, I ran for 3 miles on my first run, which was a little too much. Wanted to be a little more conservative this time.

Anyhow, I ran 2.15 miles in 20 minutes for a 9:19 pace, with mile splits of 9:26 & 9:19. Not a bad start. I think all the walking I've been doing recently helped me a bit. I walked 3 miles afterward to cool down.

Can't get my info from RunKeeper to Strava. Must be a step I am missing...

Good job on the run. I'm not sure if there is a way that I know of to sync directly from runkeeper to strava. There are a few tools that people use to sync to both runkeeper and strava at the same time. If you are using the runkeeper app on your phone, the most common that I know of is people switch to using ismoothrun app instead and that then can save to both strava and runkeeper I believe.

Now that your run is already on runkeeper, you can manually go to your run in runkeeper and at the bottom of the page viewing that run there is an option to export to GPX. If you export that you can then import that file in to strava manually.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #248
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
Good luck, I don't participate in a lot of organized races but I usually do better than I expect. You've prepared well so you should do fine. Just taking a couple days off will help a lot.

One thing with the humidity - protect those nips. I've done two organized runs this month, one in high humidity and last weekend just a 10K in a steady drizzle. Both races had a lot of guys suffering from the red streaks. Looks like pure torture.

Quote:
The days off will help a lot, as well the adrenaline. The other thing I've found that makes races so much different is the 'chase' mindset. I find I'm always trying to hunt down the person in front of me (assuming they aren't pulling away from me) which leads me to run just that little bit faster than I probably would if I was alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Alan - good luck in your 10k!

I am supposed to be in a sling for another week and a half. Once it is off I am going to give running a try. Ribs are pretty good for the most part (I can laugh and sneeze without pain). Doc says no bike until September, but we'll see about that.

Well.. today sucked. my worst race ever probably. It was just way too hot out there. It affected everyone, so my overall place wasn't affected, but my goal for a personal best time was shattered by it. I think I ended up finishing 28th overall and 4th in my age group (out of 5.. heh) I made too many mistakes though...

My goal was to start out at my pace of 9:20, but I ran the first mile at 9:10 instead. The second mile was better, at a 9:17 pace, but I literally ran into a wall on the third mile, not even halfway through the race. The third mile I ended up slowing to a 10:10 pace and it was all downhill from there.

A little after the third mile, I had a horrible side stitch that forced me to have to stop and walk at times.. eventually it worked itself out by about mile 5, but I saw that I had only 5 minutes to go the last mile for my goal and decided to not even bother and ran the last mile in a comfortable 11:30 pace.

I couldn't believe how badly I blew up and wasn't sure exactly why.. it couldn't be just from the weather even though it was so hot, everyone suffered. Even when I had to walk, I had hardly anyone pass me at all.. and even by the end when I was struggling, I still passed tons of people.. so I think everyone just had a rough day of it.

I finally saw once I uploaded my run, my average heart rate for the entire run was 171.. that is crazy. When I hit the wall at mile 3, my heart rate had hit 183 which is pretty much my max limit ever.. No wonder I crashed and burned badly. I love Strava's suffer score.... it told me the following:

Extreme sufferfest.. heh

My highest suffer score ever was when I ran 11 miles and only had a 193.. When I had my best 10k time a few weeks ago, my suffer score was 147..

So I guess this is what the effect heat plays on the body when running ...

I will try again in another 10k run in 2 weeks and hopefully the weather will be better. So dissapointed.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #249
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I'm not all that far from you and I can't imagine running in this weather. it's brutal out there. no reason to be bummed about that effort at all
Old 06-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #250
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
If you are using the runkeeper app on your phone, the most common that I know of is people switch to using ismoothrun app instead and that then can save to both strava and runkeeper I believe.

Unfortunately, it seems like iSmoothRun isn't available for Android phones yet. I was able to manually import my activities to Strava. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Kodos : 06-01-2013 at 09:03 PM.