Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-06-2007, 10:19 PM   #1
MJ4H
Coordinator

The Official Nintendo Wii Games Thread

Alright, I'm tired of wondering which thread I should post stuff regarding games for the Wii in. I have created this thread for that purpose.

So anyway, Super Paper Mario, which has been getting lots of good preview press and hype, will be released on Monday and probably in stores on Tuesday. I will be picking it up on the way home from work on Tuesday. I'm excited about this game. I think it is going to be a big bridge in the gap between the launch titles and the heavy-hitters that are getting pushed back further and further like Metroid, Galaxy, and Brawl.

I will post impressions of Super Paper Mario in this thread. In the meantime, what Wii games have you been getting the most mileage out of? At this point, I'm 25 hours into Twilight Princess and have unlocked almost everything in Wario Ware. These are the only two games for Wii I own at this point (besides Wii Sports). I've rented Trauma Center, Super Monkey Ball BB, Elebits, and Rayman Raving Rabbids. I found Elebits to be the most fun of any of those. I would consider picking that one up for $30 or so but don't really want to pay full price for it.

MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:29 PM   #2
hoosierdude
High School Varsity

What did you think of Trauma Center? I almost rented that for a weekend of trying it out. That and SMonkey Ball BB..

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud - Sophocles"
hoosierdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:19 AM   #3
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I rented Trauma Center and thought it was quite fun, very different from the kinds of games I usually play. If I were to see it cheap somewhere I'd be tempted to pick it up.

I have Super Monkey Ball BB and don't play it very often. I've beaten most of the game but the remaining levels are very difficult. I haven't played any of the older Gamecube editions so I can't really compare them.

Like the thread starter, I am eagerly anticipating Super Paper Mario and will be getting it ASAP. If that game weren't about to be released I'd have probably bought the Godfather (never played the PS2/Xbox versions) because I hear the Wii controls are great, reaching up to grab a shopkeeper by the collar to shake him down, pointing at the screen to shoot a guy in the kneecap, etc. I'll at least rent that one at some point but probably not until I'm done with SPM and sick of Tiger Woods.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 08:34 AM   #4
MJ4H
Coordinator

Trauma Center was actually very cool. I don't think it would be my kind of game in the long run, but I did enjoy the few "missions" (surgeries) that I performed. I am normally not at ALL the kind of person that would enjoy a surgery game since any gore at all really grosses me out. However, there isn't really any gore in this game at all and all the graphics are actually fairly tasteful and sterile.

At least, that's what I thought. I played this before my wife got home for awhile, and when she got home I was telling her about it. Then, she was in the room while I was doing a mission and something started bleeding (which was represented by just a red cloudy blob that just kind of expanded in pulses) and she said ok, I would NEVER play this game. Maybe that turned her off, I'm not sure. I barely even noticed it because when you are in a mission you are pretty focussed on getting the job done.

Overall, I would say if it's cheap, pick it up. If you think you might be interested enough for full price, rent first, but you would probably be happy if you just impulsed it, too, because it is a pretty cool game.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:34 AM   #5
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

I picked up SSX tricky for my girlfriend and it was pretty good but you need to be pretty patient. I had played SSX tricky on the PS2 before, so I had an idea of what was going on, but for her even with doing the tutorials it was fun, but seemed to be a huge learning curve. I found the controls just weren't as tight as you would want them to be, you would flick the mote to jump, nothing happens, it was especially noticable with trying to turn using the nunchuck, where it seemed very hard to go where you wanted to go. After a while you kinda get use to it, and the game is lots of fun but in every event there is pretty much one or two instances where you're like WTF and you wonder if you're acctually controlling your character.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:37 AM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I preordered Mario, so I can't wait for that.

So far I have Godfather:Blackhand Edition and Sonic. I played sonic for like 5 minutes, I didn't really want it but it was part of a package deal when I bought the Wii. Chances are that I'll give it another shot sometime soon, and then look to trade it in perhaps. My 8 year old likes sonic, so she messes around with some of the mini games.

Godfather is fun as hell if you haven't played GTA, or if you like the Godfather movies. Sometimes the controls are a bit wacky though, and the cities could be laid out a lot easier. It'll get dissapointing when you just want to save, but can't find a phone to call your ride to take you back to the safehouse. The controls are pretty fun, and the game is pretty immersive. I'd recommend it now at 50, and whenever it ends up price dropping I'd say it's pretty much a must buy. Looking forward to the Scarface game which is supposed to be out later this summer, as well.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:39 AM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

dola-I'm really interested in getting Cooking Mama, but will probably wait until that one drops in price a bit. 50 bucks gets pretty steep.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:54 AM   #8
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Has anyone played Tiger Woods' Golf for the Wii yet?
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 01:56 PM   #9
hukarez
College Starter

I'm considering picking up Warioware for the Wii. Most of the playtime has pretty much been Rayman Raving Rabbids as of late.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 02:05 PM   #10
fjvieane
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
Has anyone played Tiger Woods' Golf for the Wii yet?

Yes I 2nd this, anyone??
fjvieane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:30 PM   #11
Huckleberry
College Starter

I own Super Monkey Ball and Tiger Woods.

Super Monkey Ball was a disappointment for my daughter because she bought it with her Christmas money but it is way too difficult for a 6-year-old. However she and her 3-year-old sister have fun watching me play it. I've beaten 7 out of the 8 worlds so far but it has been hard. The wiimote is extremely sensitive to any movement in this game and it can get frustrating at times. If I ever see a YouTube clip of someone beating this game straight through with no fallouts or time outs I will bow in that person's direction. It's fun, though, and has 50 different mini-games you can play (exactly 2 players required).

Tiger Woods has been in my collection for 2 days. I can't give a full report until I adjust difficulty settings, etc. After a getting used to the swing period I won the Nissan Open in the PGA Tour Season mode with a four round total of 253, good for 35 under par. I won by two strokes. However, the game is very fun with multiple players even if we had to use house rules because we didn't know of good difficulty settings. Our main house rule was no practice swings except for one practice swing on the green. We were using standard swing, though, not advanced.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:46 PM   #12
hukarez
College Starter

Has anyone tried Marble Mania?
tweet tweet twitter
Old 04-09-2007, 03:54 PM   #13
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Tiger Woods is fun, I enjoy this version more than the older versions with an analog stick. I've only broken 60 one time in 40-50 and I find the scoring to be more realistic than in years past. It does have some flaws though, the menus weren't thought out too well (especially for creating a golfer), I can't seem to change what clubs I put in my bag during career mode, and the graphics are poor. Despite the faults I play it more often than any of the other games I have on Wii.

Huckleberry, that house rule sounds pretty tough. How much do you think it affects your scoring? When you all play, are you allowed to use the A button to read the green or do you eliminate that as well?

Called three places, nobody happened to get Super Paper Mario a day early, will have to hope for better luck tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to that game.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:06 PM   #14
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
I can't seem to change what clubs I put in my bag during career mode...

Crap. I was hoping that was just my lack of menu checking. I guess you just equip yourself with a driver, fairway wood, irons set, wedge set, and putter from the pro shop. Nothing more specific than that. Looks like we only get 5 seasons on the Wii , also, versus the 30 that I've seen written about for the other versions.

Quote:
Huckleberry, that house rule sounds pretty tough. How much do you think it affects your scoring? When you all play, are you allowed to use the A button to read the green or do you eliminate that as well?

We used the A button. The difference was pretty severe. Played with my dad and brother and the winning score was a 73 at St. Andrew's. We played with Daly, Goosen, and Leonard. I'm going to move to the advanced swing soon, though. The manual that comes with the game leaves a lot to be desired.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:45 PM   #15
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post

Called three places, nobody happened to get Super Paper Mario a day early, will have to hope for better luck tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to that game.

I stopped at Game Stop on my way home and no dice, but I went ahead and reserved my copy for tomorrow. Can't wait!
Old 04-09-2007, 05:24 PM   #16
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Can't wait for paper Mario tomorrow!
Old 04-09-2007, 09:54 PM   #17
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
Super Monkey Ball was a disappointment for my daughter because she bought it with her Christmas money but it is way too difficult for a 6-year-old. However she and her 3-year-old sister have fun watching me play it. I've beaten 7 out of the 8 worlds so far but it has been hard. The wiimote is extremely sensitive to any movement in this game and it can get frustrating at times. If I ever see a YouTube clip of someone beating this game straight through with no fallouts or time outs I will bow in that person's direction. It's fun, though, and has 50 different mini-games you can play (exactly 2 players required).

To be fair, the first couple SMB games were pretty darn tough. Anyone who played SMB2 knows which level I'm talking about when I say "Launchers". There were a lot of piles of dead monkeys at a bottom of a lot of pits in those worlds.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:08 AM   #18
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
To be fair, the first couple SMB games were pretty darn tough. Anyone who played SMB2 knows which level I'm talking about when I say "Launchers". There were a lot of piles of dead monkeys at a bottom of a lot of pits in those worlds.

SI

Could be. She had played it on the X-Box her friend has and they had managed to beat some levels on that version. I'll probably try and get her to make an attempt on this one.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:20 AM   #19
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Hated Wariowarez, just not a fun game. Even as a party game I think the minigames would be too short
Old 04-10-2007, 09:24 AM   #20
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
Hated Wariowarez, just not a fun game. Even as a party game I think the minigames would be too short

This is our favorite game to play with Wii newbies. We give them a taste of single player mode, then toss them in the multiplayer game called lifeline. Lots of fun. I don't play the game much by myself anymore, but it is a lot of fun when we have people over.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:58 AM   #21
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post

i thought this game was god-awful...i returned it after 2 days of trying to figure out what was supposed to be fun about it.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:12 PM   #22
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I like the Wario Ware game. I think it's a riot when watching other people play a new minigame and try to figure out what the hell to do. I loved the Wario Ware games on the DS, and the Wii game is just a "bigger" version of it. It obviously doesn't appeal to everybody, but I've had a lot of fun with it.

I didn't know that Wario Ware had a multiplayer mode, though. How do you access that?
Old 04-10-2007, 12:19 PM   #23
Huckleberry
College Starter

I played Tiger Woods on Advanced swing and Hard difficulty last night. It's a more challenging experience. I didn't like the Expert difficulty setting because you can't aim yourself with the overhead cam. This wouldn't be as bad if I had the time to watch the pre-hole animation every time to come up with a plan of attack. On the Hard setting you can aim your shots normally but you don't get the Ideal Putt Camera on the green. Seems like the best of both worlds.

edit - Almost forgot, the wind speed isn't shown on Hard.

I got punked in match play by Luke Donald but then shot a 65 in the first round of a tournament. Putted out of my mind, though, so this may be the setting I needed. Still had three three-putt greens.

Last edited by Huckleberry : 04-10-2007 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:20 PM   #24
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I like the Wario Ware game. I think it's a riot when watching other people play a new minigame and try to figure out what the hell to do. I loved the Wario Ware games on the DS, and the Wii game is just a "bigger" version of it. It obviously doesn't appeal to everybody, but I've had a lot of fun with it.

I didn't know that Wario Ware had a multiplayer mode, though. How do you access that?

Get through all the single player stories to access multiplayer mode. It's worth it, they are fun.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:03 PM   #25
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Don't know how much longer it will work, but supposedly GS is running a trade in 2 wii games, get one free promo. If you go to best buy, and buy open season and Far Cry(both 20 dollar games), and use their $5 gamers gift card on both, you can get any wii game for right around 30 bucks. Not a bad deal, even if it's outdated and they won't accept it anymore, it's worth a try. Just make sure you don't open the BB games if they won't take them for trade.

Last edited by stevew : 04-10-2007 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:34 PM   #26
MJ4H
Coordinator

Just played through the first couple of chapters of Super Paper Mario. So far I'm having a lot of fun. This game has a lot of quirky comedy and some real style. It also has words. LOTS of them. It probably took 20 minutes of reading before you even get to start the game. Much more tolerable after that, but that is one of my pet peeves. Hopefully it stays tolerable like it is now.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the game as all the coolness far outweighs my little text gripe.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:29 PM   #27
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
Just played through the first couple of chapters of Super Paper Mario. So far I'm having a lot of fun. This game has a lot of quirky comedy and some real style. It also has words. LOTS of them. It probably took 20 minutes of reading before you even get to start the game. Much more tolerable after that, but that is one of my pet peeves. Hopefully it stays tolerable like it is now.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the game as all the coolness far outweighs my little text gripe.

fuck, i hate a lot of text. Oh well, I picked mine up, and will hopefully get into it tomorrow.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:29 PM   #28
MJ4H
Coordinator

Yeah its not that bad anymore. The beginning was annoying, but it is no longer offensive. I just dropped another hour and a half playing it and I like it more the further I get into it.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:47 PM   #29
MJ4H
Coordinator

Dola: The more I play this game the more I like it. I'm over halfway through the second chapter now and I am having a blast. This is one of the most unique games I've ever played. Very quirky style and very cool gameplay.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:31 PM   #30
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm so caught up in the Godfather game that I haven't played yet. I have to work like 50 hours in the next 4 days, so I doubt I'll get into it at all before next week. I'm glad you like it though, sounds like a blast.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:04 PM   #31
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm guessing Super Paper Mario is going to be a lot like the Mario and Luigi series on the GBA/DS- where it's a funny/quirky RPG.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:21 PM   #32
SackAttack
Head Coach

It's not much of an RPG though, SI. There are elements, but it's much more a classic platformer than an RPG.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:17 AM   #33
MJ4H
Coordinator

Funny/quirky is right on, though.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:29 PM   #34
MJ4H
Coordinator

I am up to level 3-2 now. Just stopped playing because I got a little lost and don't want to make myself frustrated. For those that have made it this far, I'm in the water level.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:52 PM   #35
SackAttack
Head Coach

I'm in chapter 2. Took me a while to figure out how to use Peach.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:22 AM   #36
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I usually play sports or strategy games and those seem to require a different kind of thinking compared to what is needed to figure out parts of SPM. It was a blow to my self-esteem that I had to onto the gamefaqs.com boards to figure out how to get past 1-2. I'm doing better now though, midway through the fourth world, this game is really fun.

SackAttack and MattJones4Heisman are about to encounter one of the coolest bosses in gaming history.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:10 PM   #37
MJ4H
Coordinator

Dewy's Adventure is starting to look like a game I might need to pick up.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3158945
Old 05-04-2007, 01:13 PM   #38
MJ4H
Coordinator

The big guns now have release dates for UK according to IGN. Hopefully that means release dates for US soon.

Super Mario Galaxy June 1st 2007
Metroid Prime 3 Corruption September 27th 2007
Super Smash Brothers Brawl September 30th 2007

The US side of this list still shows TBA 2007 for those games.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/index/release.html
Old 05-04-2007, 03:20 PM   #39
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Anybody got Spiderman3 yet?
Old 05-04-2007, 05:47 PM   #40
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Europe doesn't normally get games before the US, so if it's true this is great news. The "Big 3" are expected this year, but damn that'd be awesome if Galaxy were to come out so soon. But I'm pretty sure it won't.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:54 PM   #41
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Between Metroid, Smash, and Galaxy, I expect only 1 to make it stateside before the end of 2007. It's Nintendo...
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:05 AM   #42
MJ4H
Coordinator

Official release date for Metroid Prime 3 in the US:

August 20th

http://kotaku.com/gaming/nintendo-su...lly-262071.php

Also, the Smash Bros website will be relaunching sometime today. Some sort of new info is widely expected on the new site.

http://www.smashbros.com

WOOHOO
Old 05-21-2007, 12:03 PM   #43
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Dewy's Adventure is starting to look like a game I might need to pick up.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3158945

Admittedly, when I first clicked on this link, I had initially thought that this was going to be a spin-off of the Duck Tales NES game for the Wii...
tweet tweet twitter
Old 05-22-2007, 09:37 AM   #44
MJ4H
Coordinator

Smash Bros website relaunched. Nothing earth-shattering revealed, but they do promise daily updates in a blog style section. There are some screens and a list of composers that have contributed to the game (probably the most for any single game ever, it is quite impressive). People are of course pouring over the list trying to work out what new characters might be in the game.

http://www.smashbros.com
Old 05-22-2007, 04:07 PM   #45
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Under the menubar on the left it says "planned for 2007 release" but if you click that you're viewing the page from PAL-land it says no such thing. Hopefully that means it's all but assured to come out this year.

With this and the Metroid announcement yesterday it means we can all start pining for Galaxy news.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:43 PM   #46
MJ4H
Coordinator

Reggie says all 3 of the big Wii titles and The Phantom Hourglass (Zelda) on DS are for sure out this year.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers has its first trailer out. Looks very reminiscent of Skies of Arcadia. To me, that's a good thing. I could be persuaded to pick this up even though I'm not a Final Fantasy fan. Don't know if this series (or game) is supposed to be RPG like FF? Anyone have more info on it?

TRAILER: http://www.ffccnews.jp/2007/05/85.html
Old 06-13-2007, 02:44 PM   #47
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Well my wife found a Wii last week and we got to play it for a day before heading out to San Diego. Along with the system she got Cooking Momma...it's a fun multi-player mode game, but it does lack any type of good instructions which seems to be the M.O. for Wii games thus far.

Yesterday, I picked up Big Brain Academy....a very fun game either single player or multi player from the hour we played last night. It does have a mode where up to 8 people (2 teams of four) can play where you pass the stick to the next person. Think we'll be giving this mode a try over the 4th of July with my family at the Cabin. Overall a fun "learning" game.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:28 PM   #48
MJ4H
Coordinator

I wanted so badly to like Cooking Mama. I rented it and hated it. The reviews for BBA sound like there isn't enough content, but what is there is pretty good. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I will probably give it a rent.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:50 PM   #49
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
The big guns now have release dates for UK according to IGN. Hopefully that means release dates for US soon.

Super Mario Galaxy June 1st 2007
Metroid Prime 3 Corruption September 27th 2007
Super Smash Brothers Brawl September 30th 2007

The US side of this list still shows TBA 2007 for those games.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/index/release.html

Games that come out on the first of anything are usually 'code' placeholders.

January 1, 20xx would mean sometime in 20xx, for example.

June 1, 2007 usually means summer 2007. October 1 would mean fall. Stuff like that.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:59 PM   #50
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Games that come out on the first of anything are usually 'code' placeholders.

January 1, 20xx would mean sometime in 20xx, for example.

June 1, 2007 usually means summer 2007. October 1 would mean fall. Stuff like that.

True, but we now know the release date for Metroid Prime 3 is August 20th on this side of the pond. Nintendo also reasserted that the other two will be out this year. Can't wait. These are the big ones for the system.