Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-17-2021, 02:52 PM   #551
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

And in the latest round of "chicken", YouTube TV and Disney have reached an impasse on their renewal, so as it stands now, all of the Disney Channels (including ESPN channels) are scheduled to go dark at 11:59 PM tonight.

This comes at a bad time, with bowl season just starting.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 03:14 PM   #552
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

This is why I continue to stick with DTV. The streaming services are basically the same as old cable. I'd still need 3 different streaming services, all with different rules and some with no or little DVR capability, to match what I get with DTV, at about a $25 savings. And every time I call DTV for any reason, they throw free stuff and discounts at me. Just not worth it yet.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 03:22 PM   #553
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
And in the latest round of "chicken", YouTube TV and Disney have reached an impasse on their renewal, so as it stands now, all of the Disney Channels (including ESPN channels) are scheduled to go dark at 11:59 PM tonight.

This comes at a bad time, with bowl season just starting.

Well crap. Outback bowl is on ESPN2 and I have YT.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 04:03 PM   #554
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
This is why I continue to stick with DTV. The streaming services are basically the same as old cable. I'd still need 3 different streaming services, all with different rules and some with no or little DVR capability, to match what I get with DTV, at about a $25 savings. And every time I call DTV for any reason, they throw free stuff and discounts at me. Just not worth it yet.

It's still worth it to me. I used to have the DTV Choice Extra package, and regularly got credits to defray the cost. A couple of years after AT&T bought them out, the credits all but dried up. So instead of paying $125 per month, we go with YTTV or Hulu and save about $65 per month. It's easy to switch back and forth because there's no contract. We'll switch back to Hulu if YTTV doesn't resolve their dispute with Disney in a timely manner.
Old 12-18-2021, 08:33 AM   #555
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

JFC

I will probably bite the bullet and get Sling Orange for a month to make sure I can watch bowl games. I will never go back to cable or satellite as long as I am forced to use their POS hardware and pay their POS fees.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 08:34 AM   #556
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

And sign their POS contracts.
Old 12-18-2021, 09:26 AM   #557
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Old 12-18-2021, 09:29 AM   #558
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is why I continue to stick with DTV. The streaming services are basically the same as old cable. I'd still need 3 different streaming services, all with different rules and some with no or little DVR capability, to match what I get with DTV, at about a $25 savings.

This.
Old 12-19-2021, 05:43 AM   #559
Edward64
Head Coach

Okay, was going to unsubscribe to Youtube TV after the SuperBowl but will do it now and hop over to Disney bundle with ESPN.

I wonder how much subscribers YT will lose over this.
Old 12-19-2021, 07:29 AM   #560
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

The Disney bundle would include ESPN+, which will not have the content that is on ESPN or ESPN2. I actually just signed up for Sling Orange, which is $10 for new subscribers. After a month I'll decide if it's time to cancel YTTV again. I'd probably go to DirectTV Stream so I can get Bally's again and watch the Minnesota Wild.
Old 12-19-2021, 02:57 PM   #561
kingfc22
Head Coach

The drama is over. Disney owned content back on YouTubeTV
Old 12-19-2021, 03:43 PM   #562
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
The drama is over. Disney owned content back on YouTubeTV

Pretty good deal. Channels off for one day = $15 discount. I'll take it.
Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 05:28 AM   #563
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
The Disney bundle would include ESPN+, which will not have the content that is on ESPN or ESPN2. I actually just signed up for Sling Orange, which is $10 for new subscribers. After a month I'll decide if it's time to cancel YTTV again. I'd probably go to DirectTV Stream so I can get Bally's again and watch the Minnesota Wild.

Thanks for the heads up, I assumed ESPN+ would have regular ESPN channels. I was researching other options when Youtube announced ESPN was back on so I'm set for the bowl games.
Old 12-20-2021, 03:33 PM   #564
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Thanks for the heads up, I assumed ESPN+ would have regular ESPN channels. I was researching other options when Youtube announced ESPN was back on so I'm set for the bowl games.

I thought that too. It's annoying that they don't carry the ESPN network content on ESPN+.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 03:57 PM   #565
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Having completely cut the cord, I sometimes wish networks like ESPN and Big Ten Network would offer a la carte.

I doubt they will any time soon, because they get so much revenue off of requiring basic tier placement from cable and the major streamers.

That carriage fee is very high because the cable companies know massive numbers of people would drop cable and go a la carte if they could. And ESPN knows that once it's done, they will have to continually justify what they charge.

Neither one has any desire to lead this break, which would probably wind up breaking the cable system. And there's no incentive for ESPN to stop raising its fees. YTTV tried and I doubt ESPN even blinked. YTTV would have been out of business within months if they had stuck to their guns here.

We're getting closer to having the opportunity for NFL's Sunday Ticket a la carte (you can now, but it requires not being able to get Direct TV). That retails for about $25/month - which gets you out-of-market NFL games you can't already get over the air. That has me thinking something like ESPN, if it were available a la carte, would start even higher.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 12:15 PM   #566
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Having completely cut the cord, I sometimes wish networks like ESPN and Big Ten Network would offer a la carte.

It's going to be completely cost prohibitive. People kind of laughed at Bally's wanting their RSN product to be over $20 a month, but that's how much these would cost divorced from bundles. ESPN properties would likely be $30 a month.
Old 12-21-2021, 02:18 PM   #567
Ksyrup

Even though I have been with DTV for 20 years, I had long wished Sunday Ticket wasn't tied to them because without it, there's no NFL Red Zone-type channel on DTV. But since they've been giving me Sunday Ticket for free for 3 years running, I'm kinda pissed they are going to lose it!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 12-21-2021, 03:08 PM   #568
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
It's going to be completely cost prohibitive. People kind of laughed at Bally's wanting their RSN product to be over $20 a month, but that's how much these would cost divorced from bundles. ESPN properties would likely be $30 a month.

Isn't that exactly what I just wrote? Since we agree, isn't the question really more about how far ESPN will push carriage before worrying that each push removes so many people from the cable bundle that the system finally topples?

YTTV probably blinked. But they fired a very important shot before they did. They offered $15/month off for the duration of the outage. Now more people - people who don't watch sports - understand just how much ESPN drives the entire bundlewagon. That was dangerous, but it also indicates that they know how close this is to toppling and they're willing to risk that danger because they don't think ESPN understands.

Let's say ESPN costs $30/month - twice Netflix, right (I've never been a Netflix subscriber). How many sports fans will pay that? Will that generate the same total revenue that forcing everyone to pay $15/month generates? Not to mention the additional cost of marketing and putting together a secure and useful app.
Old 12-22-2021, 06:34 AM   #569
Butter
Coordinator

Counterpoint, ESPN wanted YouTube TV to take the channels away for a day to drive people to subscribe to ESPN+
Old 12-22-2021, 07:40 AM   #570
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Except ESPN+ doesn't give you access to ESPN - just their mediocre extra content and excess inventory. Otherwise, half the country would have switched to ESPN+ years ago.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 07:49 AM   #571
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Let's say ESPN costs $30/month - twice Netflix, right (I've never been a Netflix subscriber). How many sports fans will pay that? Will that generate the same total revenue that forcing everyone to pay $15/month generates? Not to mention the additional cost of marketing and putting together a secure and useful app.

Best I could tell, at least a huge chunk of the Southeast. My feed had a number of people downright frantic when they woke up & it wasn't there (I was surprised by how many were YTTV subs tbh).

And of the ones I saw a resolution of, 4 out of 5 had changed providers before the lockout was even resolved.

If ESPN ever loses their near monopoly on college football, they'll be in serious trouble I think. But until then, they can get away with just about anything.
Old 12-22-2021, 08:05 AM   #572
cuervo72
Head Coach

Makes sense. Other than the usual crappy MNF game, there's really not much I tune into ESPN for these days outside of college football. Though even then I probably consume just as much of that on CBS/BTN/Fox.
Old 08-17-2022, 02:11 PM   #573
Ksyrup

Since we're recently (as in, about a week ago) empty-nesters, it has me re-evaluating a lot of what we spend money on. My DirecTV bill is over $200 a month, and that's before I add in the MLB package.

I haven't looked at streaming plans in over a year, but in looking at YTTV now, I think we could make that work. I'd have to make sure we can get every channel we use, but I think it hits nearly every one. No doubt, we'd add several packages so the true cost would be at least $100+, but that's still half the cost of DTV. And it looks like the DVR options are greatly expanded from what they used to be.

I think there would be a few minor issues (like no local sports network - Bally's OH is not on their plan I don't think), but it has me considering it early next year. I'm definitely sticking with DTV through the NFL season - they gave me Sunday Ticket Max for free again this year. But this is their last year with that monopoly, so I figure year is a good time to switch. Or... I suppose I can try to get them to come massively down off their price with some decent credits? I may try that route before cutting cord, but I don't think it's going to be too much longer.

For those who have YTTV, are you happy with it? One thing that scares me is losing content all of a sudden. It seems like streaming services have less of a set programming lineup, and the loss of one or two key channels would make this a bad move for me.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-17-2022 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-17-2022, 03:05 PM   #574
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

YTTV is the best of all the streaming services, hands down. It's App/UI and DVR are really good. The biggest downside for me is the lack of Bally's. You're right that channels can come and go, but that's the case with just about every other option as well (other than cable). I cut the cord over six years and I've tried them all. The 2nd best option no longer exists (Playstation Vue). I gave the DirecTV streaming option a chance since they had Bally's, but the app was hot garbage. Maybe it's gotten better, but I doubt it tops YTTV.

Edit: Oh, and you probably know that there is no contract, so you can pause your subscription and give one of the other ones a try. I don't think there is a single service that isn't month to month.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 08-17-2022 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-17-2022, 03:13 PM   #575
Ksyrup

I like that there's no contract, but the idea of possibly needing to constantly switch/pause and having to adjust to new services is a net minus for me. I'd prefer stability if you offered me that or no contract.
Old 08-17-2022, 04:35 PM   #576
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
I like that there's no contract, but the idea of possibly needing to constantly switch/pause and having to adjust to new services is a net minus for me. I'd prefer stability if you offered me that or no contract.

Makes sense, but like I said I think only cable is the least impacted by carriage disputes. Both satellite companies and all the streaming services can be affected AFAIK.
Old 08-17-2022, 04:42 PM   #577
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Looks like Bally Sports' standalone app is set to launch in a bit over a month. $19.99 a month or $189.99 per year. That price is a spicy meatball, but I will probably give in.
Old 08-17-2022, 04:55 PM   #578
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

The stability of cable was nice, and prevented movement, but three years post-cable now, and we just don't miss it.

I've used a Tablo and an antenna for almost a year now. We still have the issue of being 40 miles from the Cleveland broadcasts and 40 miles from the Youngstown broadcasts, so OTA (over-the-air) requires moving the antenna, especially during football season since the Cleveland's FOX affiliate is local broadcast only. Some of the sub-channels only come in at night.

I guess it's preference. I would have liked to have seen the last season of Better Call Saul, but that's what, 8-10 hours out of having to make sure we have AMC in some expensive package. Better just to wait and buy the Blu-Ray if it's that important. So it's all about the sports, and what's on the networks seems like it's enough.
Old 08-17-2022, 08:40 PM   #579
rjolley
College Starter

We dumped DirecTV a couple of years ago and replaced it with a few services and still come out cheaper.

YouTube TV mainly for my father in law to watch "regular" TV, but I use it for football and the kids watch it depending on what they want to watch. With everything we have, we're paying less than half for streaming services over DirecTV and don't miss it at all.
Old 08-17-2022, 09:20 PM   #580
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I watch all my sports illegally these days & don't lose any sleep over it. Fuck 'em.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 11:22 PM   #581
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:

I've switched back and forth a few times over the past five years from Hulu to YouTube TV to Sling and to Fubo, and it's not that big of a deal. It only takes a few minutes, and you really don't need to switch very often.

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 08-17-2022 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-18-2022, 06:39 AM   #582
Silver Owl
High School JV

We tried them all at one point, the issue with youtube tv was the DVR. At the time we tried them there was no way to delete watched recordings. If you recorded a couple seasons of a show you always had to go through the recordings to find where you left off. That may have changed in the last year or so. Finally settled on Fubo and get all the channels we want except Bally OH for less than $100 a month..
Silver Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 07:36 AM   #583
Ksyrup

I'll have to check out Fubo's lineup. I haven't looked at that one.

Between my wife and me, we have a few specialty channels each of us must have, or it's a no-go. For my wife, it's the Hallmark channels. So, Hulu is not an option (at this point, anyway).
Old 08-18-2022, 08:41 AM   #584
Silver Owl
High School JV

Quote:
I'll have to check out Fubo's lineup. I haven't looked at that one.

Between my wife and me, we have a few specialty channels each of us must have, or it's a no-go. For my wife, it's the Hallmark channels. So, Hulu is not an option (at this point, anyway).

Hallmark is on Fubo.
Old 08-18-2022, 09:32 AM   #585
Ksyrup

So I just did a deep dive on FuboTV and YTTV and there are channels missing from each that would make it a difficult sell to switch.

Neither of them have History channel (losing Alone and Oak Island is a no go). Fubo doesn't have TBS/TNT/Tru or CNN channels. YTTV doesn't have Tennis channel (which I'm watching right now and watch every day I work from home since they show live matches all day long). And there are probably more I'm not even thinking about right now.

Fubo appears to be the best option (assuming UI and actual execution of deliverables, of course), but having to find solutions for X number of holes in the programming is where I think it all breaks down. I think I could adapt better than my wife, which means I'm screwed!

The real question is whether any currently airing content on particular channels is available immediately for streaming on other add-on apps (like, for History channel, can I buy Peacock+ or Discovery+ and get new episodes of Oak Island as they air available to stream, or is it one of those "wait until the season is over and maybe it'll be available for a limited time" things?).

How does everyone who streams deal with particular shows you want to watch on channels you don't get?
Old 08-18-2022, 09:35 AM   #586
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
How does everyone who streams deal with particular shows you want to watch on channels you don't get?

Usenet (shiver me timbers). @thesloppy
Old 08-18-2022, 09:59 AM   #587
Ksyrup

Yeah...no. If I wanted a flashback to my college years, I'd find some retro AirBnb that had dial-up internet access and wax nostalgic.

My main question is, do add-on streaming apps give you access to current on-air programming (even if you have to wait a day or week for it to appear after it airs), or is it more of an inventory of past offerings you have access to?
Old 08-18-2022, 10:07 AM   #588
rjolley
College Starter

We got a subscription to Philo for my wife to watch Hallmark, the HGTV/Food Network group, and some other channels. It's been a good add-on subscription for us.

Philo has live tv for it's channels as well as past offerings. Disney+, on the other hand, doesn't show any of the Disney Channels' live content. So, it will vary by service.
Old 08-18-2022, 10:12 AM   #589
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Yeah...no. If I wanted a flashback to my college years, I'd find some retro AirBnb that had dial-up internet access and wax nostalgic.

lol. It's pretty amazing how usenet can be used to transfer binaries. My setup is pretty sophisticated and automated. It's great, because I really only have YTTV for sports.

Quote:
My main question is, do add-on streaming apps give you access to current on-air programming (even if you have to wait a day or week for it to appear after it airs), or is it more of an inventory of past offerings you have access to?

I'm not an expert on this, but I believe it's more the former. And it seems like some networks are are starting to put their best content only on the apps. I suppose it's something you will need to investigate on a case-by-case basis.
Old 08-19-2022, 06:08 AM   #590
Silver Owl
High School JV

Quote:

We have Discovery+ and Paramount+ and the current on air shows are put up within a day or so.

Last edited by Silver Owl : 08-19-2022 at 06:11 AM.
Old 08-19-2022, 06:51 AM   #591
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
The stability of cable was nice, and prevented movement, but three years post-cable now, and we just don't miss it.

Coming up on 10 years for us, and don't miss much, either.

We've settled on Disney+, Netflix, and Prime (which we already had, back in the day), and it seems to work out well. There are some show on other streaming sites (e.g. For All Mankind on Apple TV) that I'd like to see, but can't, but the fact of the matter is that there's so much good content these days, and comparatively so little time (at least for me), I don't feel I'm missing much.

Live sports continues to be the big drawback. Although we did make an HDTV antenna work for the Super Bowl and the NBA Finals. I got all excited when NBC/Peacock rolled out the EPL a few years ago, and paid for a subscription to Peacock, but routinely found the games I wanted to watch were going to be on NBC or NBCSN, or another cable channel they own, none of which I could reliably watch so:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I watch all my sports illegally these days & don't lose any sleep over it. Fuck 'em.

It'll be interesting to see as TV contracts for major leagues turn over if the traditional broadcast companies can continue to offer enough money to keep the leagues from going streaming, or if there's enough potential streaming revenue out there for them to go in that direction.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 08:10 AM   #592
Ksyrup

I'm in a much different place, viewing-wise, than pretty much anyone, ever, I'm quite sure. So my channel needs are quite specific and sporadic.

Live sports is #1. Fubo definitely seems to be the best option. But, no TBS/TNT/Tru is a huge hole. That's March Madness, baseball playoffs, NHL playoffs, NBA, etc., not to mention Impractical Jokers. That's a gaping hole.

Also, most of these plans don't appear to have the regional sports networks, but I can live without that. I don't care much about watching the Reds, Bengals are on broadcast TV, and maybe I lose out on Pacers and Cavs games? We seem to be tagged with 2-3 NBA teams, but not a huge loss.

I believe the only way to supplement the loss of Turner networks would be to get a second service like Sling. And then you get into the "switch to this app for these channels, but this app for these channels, and then don't forget we have History+ for these channels, and ESPN+ for this," etc.

This is always where my plan to switch goes awry. It's a lot to get used to/learn when for 45 years, you've been used to everything all in one place. I rarely use Netflix because it requires me to switch to an app, even though my My List is piled up with stuff I'd be interested in watching.

I have time to think it through. Like I said, I'm not giving up Sunday Ticket Max since they're giving it to me for free, so I won't switch at least until early next year.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-19-2022 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-19-2022, 08:54 AM   #593
Kodos
Resident Alien

Hulu has live TV. Don't know if it fits your needs, but it's how we get our live TV.
Old 08-19-2022, 09:13 AM   #594
Ksyrup

I feel like I need one of Jim's spreadsheets to figure out which services will work in combination with which add-on services, plus DVR options, # of screens/streams, etc.

I guess it gives me something to do between now and the end of the NFL season.
Old 08-19-2022, 09:24 AM   #595
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

This topic makes me wonder what the last non-sports thing I actually watched on "tv" was. (a term used to cover all forms of stuff that isn't streaming-only).

I gave up on TWD a couple seasons back, so that ain't it.

In all honesty, under the ... new situation (how's that for a euphemism?) ... in my home life I almost certainly SHOULD "cut the cord". But I have no desire to try to figure out all the permutations I'd need for live sports stuff.
Old 08-19-2022, 11:08 AM   #596
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Interesting discussion.

Our situation was similar to Ksyrup's, with a DirecTV bill of about $200 per month. Right now, with YouTube TV it's $65 per month. There are a few channels we don't get now that we would watch, but we determined it was better to save the $135 per month than to pay $200 to get those few channels (plus about 150 more that we NEVER watched).
Old 08-19-2022, 12:27 PM   #597
Ksyrup

Yep, that's the question. On paper, it certainly seems like a no-brainer, but we don't watch a bunch of scripted/fictional series. So the reality/doc stuff we do watch, we definitely want to watch and would miss.

Fubo seems like the no-brainer easy choice for a sports-first lineup. If I could trade in 33% of their channels I'll never watch for TBS/TNT/Tru, I would do it for sure. Looks like they lost those channels in 2020.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-19-2022 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-19-2022, 12:32 PM   #598
Ksyrup

Another thing that is an interesting dynamic is that Turner and Discovery are now under the same umbrella. So, does that mean it is more or less likely they add the Turner channels back, or lose Discovery if Warner attempts to increase carriage fees for all of the combined properties?

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-19-2022 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-19-2022, 12:38 PM   #599
Ksyrup

Gah! Fubo and YTTY also don't have A&E.

See, the more I dig, the better the chance that I'll be bumping this thread in 18 months!

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-19-2022 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-19-2022, 12:45 PM   #600
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
This topic makes me wonder what the last non-sports thing I actually watched on "tv" was. (a term used to cover all forms of stuff that isn't streaming-only).

I gave up on TWD a couple seasons back, so that ain't it.

In all honesty, under the ... new situation (how's that for a euphemism?) ... in my home life I almost certainly SHOULD "cut the cord". But I have no desire to try to figure out all the permutations I'd need for live sports stuff.

If your TV viewing is pretty much only sports, I'd say you're one of the few demographic left for whom a cable package is the best choice.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote