Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-19-2022, 12:56 PM   #601
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

My last few posts are why cable-cutting just seems impossible and subject to so many variables that can change at any moment. One change can cause a cascading effect that ruins the entire ecosystem you've created.

Someone mentioned Philo above. So I checked it out, and it would help fill in some of the holes. So I thought - well, if I pair YTTV with Philo, I should get everything I want. But guess what? Philo is not available for Samsung TV and I've got 3 of them.

This shit is stupid complicated. It's like trying to complete a puzzle where 1/3 of the pieces change as you put it together.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-19-2022 at 12:56 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 01:33 PM   #602
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
My last few posts are why cable-cutting just seems impossible and subject to so many variables that can change at any moment. One change can cause a cascading effect that ruins the entire ecosystem you've created.

Someone mentioned Philo above. So I checked it out, and it would help fill in some of the holes. So I thought - well, if I pair YTTV with Philo, I should get everything I want. But guess what? Philo is not available for Samsung TV and I've got 3 of them.

This shit is stupid complicated. It's like trying to complete a puzzle where 1/3 of the pieces change as you put it together.

A Roku device makes this a lot easier to manage than the built-in menus from a "smart" tv.

At first, it looked like everything would run through televisions, much like a tuner, a dvr or a cable input. But the tv companies aren't good at dealing with apps and the companies creating apps aren't good at dealing with all the different tv companies and the all the levels of "smart" operating systems.

Roku has gone in and (along with Amazon and Apple - Roku's main benefit is that it isn't really trying to market its own content, yet) taken over what Tivo had started. And the apps, now that the cloud dvr concept is taking hold, are starting to provide that end.

Think of a tv as just another computer monitor - simply one designed for ideal viewing a few feet further away. I just don't see the smart tv concept lasting much longer.

Yes, it is stupid complicated and it changes monthly and you know you're going to have reorganize things about once a year. But you save a lot of money.

No one quite knows where all of this is headed. Sports is the big reason. Cable would be on life support if not for live sports. But there are signs of a transition anyway. This record-setting Big Ten deal indicates that CBS is pushing Paramount+ and NBC is pushing Peacock+. There's now some pressure to force us sports-junkies to pay more of what our fix really costs.

For now, that means more commercial loads, I guess. I would even expect the networks to push the NCAA to lower the number of plays in a game, like the NFL has. But eventually, these apps might be all that matters for live sports, and then there will be more pressure to create a better product again. Or there will be another shift. Who knows - I wouldn't want to be in charge of marketing cable to people under 30 these days - and yet it's still number one. That can't continue too much longer.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 01:40 PM   #603
Ksyrup

Gotcha. So Roku becomes the TV interface through which I would watch the services I subscribe to, rather than directly from the TV.

Ah, and it looks like they have some free live channels through Roku directly as well. I think this was the set-up we had at a place we stayed on Hawaii for one night. Now it's kinda making some sense.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-19-2022 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-19-2022, 02:12 PM   #604
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Gotcha. So Roku becomes the TV interface through which I would watch the services I subscribe to, rather than directly from the TV.

Ah, and it looks like they have some free live channels through Roku directly as well. I think this was the set-up we had at a place we stayed on Hawaii for one night. Now it's kinda making some sense.

There are quite a few free apps out there (and pay apps, like Netflix), a handful are bundled on to every Roku, but you can search for more online. After years of this, I keep four apps on mine.

Tablo - interfacing with my Tablo device, which has a DVR and is connected to my antenna for broadcast TV.

The Roku Channel - cobbles together quite a few free sources of content. The ad load isn't too bad and you can always back out of a show and reload if it randomly gives you too many ads (there's a timer on ads).

Tubi - cobbles together more free sources of content, a good amount of overlap with Roku. The ad load is a bit higher and the interface not quite as smooth, but you can back out of an ad segment, clear the show, restart it with one ad, then fast-forward to where you were.

Pluto - lots of free channels - they just added a 24-hour Jeopardy! channel. It seems modeled from cable, with 30-minute time blocks and an on-demand section. Of course, that comes with a long, unavoidable commercial blocks without a timer, including the on-demand movies. I find I hardly ever load this app.

You'd then add in Fubo or YTTV or Philo as another app. The app makers periodically update their Roku apps because this is a huge chunk of their business. You pay for the service on your computer or phone, then load the app in the Roku. It will pop up a code, which you then type in on your computer or phone, and that connects your payment account to your Roku device. Each app has a set number of streams, limiting the number of active codes you can have connected to your account at any time.

So it's a little bit of work to understand and set up the accounts. But no customer service calls, like you'd have with cable. It's all automated and you can start/stop service exactly when you want. That alone, I think, makes it less trouble in the long run.
Old 08-19-2022, 02:21 PM   #605
Ksyrup

Got it. Even if I ended up with 2 services to cobble together most of what we want, it would cut my bill by $100 a month. That would even free me up to perhaps hold my nose and pay for Peacock+, say, to watch soccer, where now I'm like no way, $225 (not including Netflix and ESPN+, which I'd keep in either situation) is already too much for TV.
Old 08-19-2022, 02:27 PM   #606
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I recommend Roku to my dad and other senior citizens. Apple TV is a better overall experience. If you want to go hardcore (don't advise), then you get a Shield TV.

Edit: I have two Shields and two Apple TV 4k's.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 08-19-2022 at 02:28 PM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 03:14 PM   #607
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
I recommend Roku to my dad and other senior citizens. Apple TV is a better overall experience. If you want to go hardcore (don't advise), then you get a Shield TV.

Edit: I have two Shields and two Apple TV 4k's.

Ouch. I guess I am approaching senior citizen status. I've been ignoring those AARP invitations for ages now.

For me, there's a value in avoiding Apple products. When I was in college, they made it very, very difficult to write code for one of their machines - the mandatory "kit" with compiler, etc, was far outside the budget of a student. This, I think, is why so few products are written natively for Macs. I don't trust platform companies that hide the special sauce for their platforms. Privacy concerns, safety concerns. Plus you pay a lot of money for that logo.

I tried Fire TV a while back and the quality seemed awful. Maybe they've improved, but at least they had a good return policy.

There's always a temptation to go hard-core. Would I then have a temptation to enter the world of pirate streams? Maybe. Part of why I keep it as simple as possible is simply to avoid that temptation - I know I would spend more time watching television. Same reason I don't have Netflix.
Old 08-19-2022, 03:28 PM   #608
Kodos
Resident Alien

Rokus are great for delivering a simple experience that even my dad mostly gets. I prefer my Apple 4K streamer, but everyone else in my home hates the remote for it and thus prefers the Roku.

Last edited by Kodos : 08-19-2022 at 03:28 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 03:38 PM   #609
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post

For me, there's a value in avoiding Apple products.

Yes, I detest Apple devices (at least phones/tablets - never touched an Apple computer). I've never seen so many problems my wife, kids and parents have with stuff that is so simple on an Android, like copying docs or MP3s onto the device from another device. My phone operates like a thumb drive, theirs can't do shit. No way I would ever support Apple.
Old 08-19-2022, 03:54 PM   #610
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I definitely get the apple hate. I could never get an iPhone for example. But I do like their iPad and ATV. I'm not a huge fan of the Roku UI and the ATV is buttery smooth and still easy to use. I use the Shield because it offers better codec support and complete audio pass-through. That is important for someone that backs up blu-rays to a NAS, for example.

I was mainly joking about Roku being for old people. It's only based off of how my dad has been using them for many years. The YTTV app on Roku just doesn't compare to ATV. ATV is snappier and you can preview the stations while you browse the channel list. It niiiiiice.
Old 08-19-2022, 04:27 PM   #611
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

I feel this basically sums it up:

Spoiler
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 04:29 PM   #612
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

There's a lot of value to Rokus being stupid simple (plus, you can configure the home page to remove apps you know folks will never use, to make it even simpler), specifically time I don't have to spend explaining to my kids, my wife, and my parents how to use their TVs.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 04:35 PM   #613
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Rokus are great for delivering a simple experience that even my dad mostly gets. I prefer my Apple 4K streamer, but everyone else in my home hates the remote for it and thus prefers the Roku.

My daughter has Apple and yes, the remote is a deal breaker for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Ouch. I guess I am approaching senior citizen status. I've been ignoring those AARP invitations for ages now.

For me, there's a value in avoiding Apple products. When I was in college, they made it very, very difficult to write code for one of their machines - the mandatory "kit" with compiler, etc, was far outside the budget of a student. This, I think, is why so few products are written natively for Macs. I don't trust platform companies that hide the special sauce for their platforms. Privacy concerns, safety concerns. Plus you pay a lot of money for that logo.

I tried Fire TV a while back and the quality seemed awful. Maybe they've improved, but at least they had a good return policy.

There's always a temptation to go hard-core. Would I then have a temptation to enter the world of pirate streams? Maybe. Part of why I keep it as simple as possible is simply to avoid that temptation - I know I would spend more time watching television. Same reason I don't have Netflix.

I have a fire tv cube. With alexa built in I like it. Like any gui it has it's faults but, overall I'm happy with it.

I also bought a roku as Amazon couldn't get an agreement with Peacock (need my premiere league matches on the big tv) and the rouge Peacock app would load but never did run right. Of course a week or two after getting the roku an agreement was made with Amazon and Peacock was officially supported. Wasn't a waste of money as the roku is now connected to the tv next to my computer. I like it too.

I was an early adopter of streaming with PS-Vue because of a tree finally growing big enough to block my DISH. Dish wouldn't move the dish for free so I could keep the service. I told them if I moved you'd do it for free, why not do it on my current house and just count it as my "one move"? No, can't do it. Quit DISH and, of course, within a few months they were offering me $400 gift cards to come back. Not happening, you blew it.

I currently have YTTV, Prime, and rotate other services.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 04:50 PM   #614
Silver Owl
High School JV

Quote:
I feel like I need one of Jim's spreadsheets to figure out which services will work in combination with which add-on services, plus DVR options, # of screens/streams, etc.

I guess it gives me something to do between now and the end of the NFL season.

There is a site that will do exactly what you are asking. You input the channels you want and it spits out the streaming services that will include those channels. I will try to find the site again.
Silver Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 04:52 PM   #615
Silver Owl
High School JV

Suppose | Compare Cable, Satellite & Streaming TV Services
Old 08-19-2022, 04:54 PM   #616
Ksyrup

Very cool, thanks!

I say after I built myself a small chart to manually figure all this out...

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-19-2022 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-19-2022, 05:38 PM   #617
Ksyrup

One of the supplementary services it suggests I consider pairing with a primary is Frndly. Anyone had any experience with that one? Never heard of it until just now.
Old 08-19-2022, 07:12 PM   #618
Silver Owl
High School JV

Quote:
One of the supplementary services it suggests I consider pairing with a primary is Frndly. Anyone had any experience with that one? Never heard of it until just now.

I looked at Frndly to pair with Fubo to get History channel but decided on Discovery+ as it had a lot more channels I would watch.
Old 08-19-2022, 08:07 PM   #619
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I used to just use Blu-Ray players for streaming but they started building in obsolescence into those so the cheapies would no longer be supported by apps after a couple of years. So I just use a PS4 and XBox One for streaming devices now. They have such large user that app support will continue for a long time because no one wants to cut off a 50 million user base from their app.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 09:21 AM   #620
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

@sweed the older apple TV devices did have bad remotes, but the newer one is pretty nice in my opinion. Does hers have the black glass remote (which is the old one)?

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 08-20-2022 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-20-2022, 12:49 PM   #621
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
@sweed the older apple TV devices did have bad remotes, but the newer one is pretty nice in my opinion. Does hers have the black glass remote (which is the old one)?

I did a google image search and I think it's this one..
https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Siri-Re...98815816&psc=1

but honestly I only tried to use it once so could be wrong. Too frustrating. As I recall the "disk" was so touchy I couldn't get it to do anything I wanted it to. She agreed that it's not the greatest but she's able to get it to work after getting used to it.
Old 08-20-2022, 12:57 PM   #622
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

That is the newer one. There is a way to turn the track pad off, which is what I do. That way it works more like a standard remote. I also add a silicone case around it to add some bulk and make it grippier.
Old 08-20-2022, 04:26 PM   #623
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
That is the newer one. There is a way to turn the track pad off, which is what I do. That way it works more like a standard remote. I also add a silicone case around it to add some bulk and make it grippier.

Yeah, when I found the pic I kind of thought it had more buttons then hers.

I'll pass along the info on the pad. Maybe she'll check it out, maybe she won't :shrug" who knows?
Old 08-20-2022, 09:37 PM   #624
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, question for the YouTubeTV people here:

I see where it lists SECN+ among its channels (as well as ACC Network and B1G Network also)

On Dish, when I go to the SEC Network channel number, it's followed by a bunch of alternate feeds; i.e. there's a main SECN game airing but there are other games airing simultaneously on additional SEC Network channel numbers (I just think of them as SEC-Alt, the same way ESPN-Alt used to work before they rolled out ESPN+)

Are all those SEC Network games included with the YouTube subscription? Or do you only get the primary game?
Old 08-21-2022, 07:51 AM   #625
Kodos
Resident Alien

If it were works like Hulu, you get them all.
Old 08-21-2022, 08:37 AM   #626
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Hey Jon, I tried to do some research and it looks like YTTV won't have the alternate channels in its app, but you can view the games in the ESPN app if you sign into it with your YTTV credentials. This info was a bit dated, so I can verify if that's still the case. It does have the Big Ten alternate matches currently, so kind of surprised it wouldn't be the same for the SEC.
Old 08-21-2022, 10:16 AM   #627
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Okay, question for the YouTubeTV people here:

I see where it lists SECN+ among its channels (as well as ACC Network and B1G Network also)

On Dish, when I go to the SEC Network channel number, it's followed by a bunch of alternate feeds; i.e. there's a main SECN game airing but there are other games airing simultaneously on additional SEC Network channel numbers (I just think of them as SEC-Alt, the same way ESPN-Alt used to work before they rolled out ESPN+)

Are all those SEC Network games included with the YouTube subscription? Or do you only get the primary game?

You get access to all of the SEC+ overflow games. The biggest difference is that YTTV and the other streaming services typically don't have dedicated channels in their guide for the overflow games (like DIRECTV for instance with their 611-1, 611-2, 611-3 etc. designations for the alternate feeds). In that case, you need to access the overflow games in the ESPN app (either built in to your smart TV or as a separate app through your Apple TV, Roku, Firestick, etc.)

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 08-21-2022 at 10:20 AM.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 12:59 PM   #628
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
In that case, you need to access the overflow games in the ESPN app (either built in to your smart TV or as a separate app through your Apple TV, Roku, Firestick, etc.)

Thanks much.

And oof :/

Just when I was about 98-99 percent ready to ship Dish back their equipment and switch, that gives me considerable pause again. Dealing with menus & app and shit on TVs is a primary reason I don't ever use shit I'm already paying for as it is.
Old 08-21-2022, 01:46 PM   #629
Ksyrup

I'm on that fence as well.

I rarely think to use Netflix for the same reason, and that's just a single app where my mind is so set on being within the DTV universe, I don't think about it being an option most times.
Old 08-24-2022, 08:36 AM   #630
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I dropped DirecTV b/c it was just too expensive and the only thing I had it for was Sunday Ticket.

And so I am going to get through this season without Sunday Ticket until they move it to streaming.

One thing I will do is get an HD antenna. Any recommendations? Features to look for? From what I can tell with a quick Amazon search, there seem to be a lot of them out there for around $30 or so. Should I just pick one with 4.5+ stars? Or is there something more to it?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:11 AM   #631
Ksyrup

I'm pretty sure we're dumping DTV after the NFL regular season ends because they have given me Sunday Ticket Max for free 3 or 4 years in a row now. So I'm not going to pass that up.
Old 08-24-2022, 01:02 PM   #632
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I dropped DirecTV b/c it was just too expensive and the only thing I had it for was Sunday Ticket.

And so I am going to get through this season without Sunday Ticket until they move it to streaming.

One thing I will do is get an HD antenna. Any recommendations? Features to look for? From what I can tell with a quick Amazon search, there seem to be a lot of them out there for around $30 or so. Should I just pick one with 4.5+ stars? Or is there something more to it?

That's a difficult question.

Use a tool like this one: RabbitEars.Info

Enter your address. The resulting chart will tell you the distance you are from the stations you want. Trees, elevations, other obstacles can make stations harder to pick up, but this chart provides all the basics.

The field strength column is the most important. That gives you a general idea of signal strength for a given channel. If it's Good, you don't need much of an antenna. If it's Fair, a decent indoor antenna with a good sightline will probably work. If it's Poor or Bad, you're now looking at a professional roof installation, if anything. I've never managed to pick up a Poor signal.

A channel number is something like 22-1. That's what your tuner will show. The number in parenthesis is the actual broadcast number. Knowing this can be helpful if you're watching the scan process.

There's no such thing as an HD antenna. That's just marketing. All antennas can pick up HD signals. Some antennas are directional and others aren't. Some have built-in signal-boosters you plug in and some don't. Some work better than others, and sometimes it's hard to tell from reviews which are better for your house.

I use a directional antenna with a booster, which means I need to point it at the stations I want to pick up at that time (the chart shows you where to point). They usually get better range (I am more than 40 miles from the network broadcasts). In my experience, VHF stations are much, much harder than UHF. They require a different antenna configuration (more the typical rabbit ears) and I've never figured out how to align that.

Now that TV signals are digital, they either come in, or they don't. If they're pixellating a lot, the signal isn't quite strong enough and they won't reliably come in. Always scan at night, when the signal travels better.

Each station has substations. You can click on an entry in that chart and see the related substations. That also gives you the video format for each substation. Most have one primary signal in 720p or 1080i and the substations go out in 480i. A good tuner will help you sort all of this out.
Old 08-24-2022, 11:01 PM   #633
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

If you have decent reception in your area, I concur with Jim's recommendation of Tablo TV. When we lived on the west side of the Las Vegas valley, we had a direct line of sight to Black Mountain, where all of the local channels had their towers. We got signal strengths of close to 100 on all of our locals, plus we got a bunch of other independent channels. The resolution of native HD is stunning compared to cable or satellite, because it's uncompressed.

Unfortunately, we're located in a "dead zone" for OTA channels down here in Palm Coast, FL, with the Jacksonville locals out of range to the north and the Orlando locals out of range to the southwest. So we get our locals on YouTube TV now. I really miss the Tablo.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 10:36 PM   #634
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, the YouTube TV situation with SEC+ is a PITA.

Basically, can't get any of those games except by switching to the ESPN app and using your access there. Makes flipping between games obnoxious a.f.

And with the exception of the national championship game I don't think I've only watched on game at a time in decades.
Old 09-03-2022, 10:40 PM   #635
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm using Hulu with their $70 package (just got it yesterday). Has worked so far with college football.

The thing I do not like so far is the games on ESPN don't look that great on my 4K. Kinda blocky.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 11:05 PM   #636
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I'm using Hulu with their $70 package (just got it yesterday). Has worked so far with college football

Does it have those extra networks (i.e. the SEC+ sub-channels) without leaving the Hulu app?

Best I've been able to tell, ESPN pretty much forces everybody to watch those on their app (using the login credentials from whatever you subscribe to). They only become available through YT as on-demand after they're over
Old 09-03-2022, 11:11 PM   #637
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Does it have those extra networks (i.e. the SEC+ sub-channels) without leaving the Hulu app?

Best I've been able to tell, ESPN pretty much forces everybody to watch those on their app (using the login credentials from whatever you subscribe to). They only become available through YT as on-demand after they're over

I have Hulu+ bundled with ESPN and Disney+ and I couldn't tell you the last time I've had to use the ESPN app to watch something I wanted to watch.

Don't take that as definitive proof of anything because I haven't look for exactly what you're asking about, but I know the only apps I've used to watch sports this year are Hulu and MLB.tv.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 11:18 PM   #638
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I have Hulu+ bundled with ESPN and Disney+ and I couldn't tell you the last time I've had to use the ESPN app to watch something I wanted to watch.

Don't take that as definitive proof of anything because I haven't look for exactly what you're asking about, but I know the only apps I've used to watch sports this year are Hulu and MLB.tv.

Yeah, it's a pretty specific situation I deal with but it's also pretty realistic.

Rarely is there a week where at least one of Ole Miss or UT aren't relegated to "the plus channels". And even if they aren't, still have to visit those to check in on stuff like Auburn/Mercer.

Looking, either the Vols or the Rebs are on Plus for both of the next 2 weeks, which is as far out as things have been announced, and Ole Miss/Tulsa seems likely for it in week 4.
Old 09-04-2022, 05:43 AM   #639
Ksyrup

Agreed. It's things like this that makes me question making the move. We didn't watch a second of UK because it was streaming only and that would have prevented flipping back and forth to 2-3 other games (plus I was keeping an eye on tennis).
Old 09-04-2022, 07:01 AM   #640
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Using Google SmartTV, I do not need to leave the Hulu app.

In Hulu, there is a "tab" for Live Channels where you scroll down a grid with shows/time. There are other "tabs" for more focused stuff like sports etc.

The AR-Cincy game was on ESPN but it was pushed to ESPN News (temporarily) because of the other game was running long. I just went into the sports tab, did some scrolling and found it.

With that said, I'm not sure what other plus channels there are (there is definitely SEC). Go look at the list at Hulu. But no, did not need to use a different app, it was all Hulu.
Old 09-04-2022, 07:32 AM   #641
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

In Hulu, there is a "tab" for Live Channels where you scroll down a grid with shows/time. There are other "tabs" for more focused stuff like sports etc.

The AR-Cincy game was on ESPN but it was pushed to ESPN News (temporarily) because of the other game was running long. I just went into the sports tab, did some scrolling and found it.

With that said, I'm not sure what other plus channels there are (there is definitely SEC). Go look at the list at Hulu. But no, did not need to use a different app, it was all Hulu.

Now this, THIS, is the sort of info I'll definitely explore.

Thanks much (even if I hit a snag somewhere, you damned sure tried)
Old 09-04-2022, 05:13 PM   #642
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

That's what I thought, but I didn't have specific examples. I know there's always a large number of college sports on Hulu live at any given time and I've been able to watch just about any WVU baseball game I've wanted.

As I said, I haven't used the ESPN app to watch anything in ages so I had a good feeling that it covered what Jon was looking for but couldn't say for certain.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 05:49 PM   #643
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Thanks much.

And oof :/

Just when I was about 98-99 percent ready to ship Dish back their equipment and switch, that gives me considerable pause again. Dealing with menus & app and shit on TVs is a primary reason I don't ever use shit I'm already paying for as it is.
I had Dish for 20+ years and it was always a good value for me if I could keep it under $100/month. As prices crept up and their goddamn ridiculous "equipment rental fees" got bigger as well, it became a struggle. I called them 2 years ago when the bill was going to go to $160+ for everything I already subscribed to plus equipment and told them I was going to cancel if they couldn't bring the price down. The offered me an upgrade on all my equipment (new hopper, joeys, etc.) plus all my usual programming for $100 even. I signed on for 2 more years and this summer the bill was going up again, this time to $180. I called and told them we needed to work something out again because I wasn't going to pay nearly $200 for what they offer to new subscribers at half of that. The CustServ person wasn't moved and I asked them what 20+ years of loyalty was worth to them. Dude said, "I don't know, what's it worth to you?". So I cancelled immediately and never gave it a second thought. YTTV is plenty good for me and the price is right.

On Friday Dish called me and asked if I was interested in re-subscribing with them for a very special price. I told them I'd consider it if they gave me the set up I had before for $64.99, same as YT. "The lowest we can go is our basic package..."

I hung up.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 06:23 PM   #644
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
I had Dish for 20+ years and it was always a good value for me if I could keep it under $100/month. As prices crept up and their goddamn ridiculous "equipment rental fees" got bigger as well, it became a struggle. I called them 2 years ago when the bill was going to go to $160+ for everything I already subscribed to plus equipment and told them I was going to cancel if they couldn't bring the price down. The offered me an upgrade on all my equipment (new hopper, joeys, etc.) plus all my usual programming for $100 even. I signed on for 2 more years and this summer the bill was going up again, this time to $180. I called and told them we needed to work something out again because I wasn't going to pay nearly $200 for what they offer to new subscribers at half of that. The CustServ person wasn't moved and I asked them what 20+ years of loyalty was worth to them. Dude said, "I don't know, what's it worth to you?". So I cancelled immediately and never gave it a second thought. YTTV is plenty good for me and the price is right.

On Friday Dish called me and asked if I was interested in re-subscribing with them for a very special price. I told them I'd consider it if they gave me the set up I had before for $64.99, same as YT. "The lowest we can go is our basic package..."

I hung up.

I also had DISH for years and it was a good value. Same as you, less that a $100 and IIRC that included HBO. Over the years a tree grew enough it blocked the signal. I called told them how long I'd been with them and was happy with the product. I noted that their policy was if I moved they would do a free installation (one time only). I told them I'd either have to cancel or they could move my Dish to another location where it could get reception and, if they did that, it could be my "one time moving free install". Nope, they couldn't do it. I cancelled and moved onto Playstation Vue which had been out less than a year.

A month later they are sending me offers and called once. The offer was a $400 gift card and the same cost (IMHO still a good value). So I said 'you are going to give me $400 now but couldn't move the dish a month ago?"
No thanks, PS-vue is doing fine.

PS-Vue just coming out should tell you how long ago that was. I still get an offer from Dish at least every other month.
Old 09-04-2022, 07:55 PM   #645
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

fwiw, Hulu's own documentation online AND several sites that review this sort of stuff all say that SEC Network Plus games are only available through the ESPN app.

I think I'm just giving up. We'll probably ditch dish (since equipment glitches leave anything in the 400s and above (where SECN resides) a crap shoot to watch at best anymore, kid can navigate YouTube TV short term to get through football season and then I'll just drop TV access entirely once he heads back to Miami.
Old 09-04-2022, 07:57 PM   #646
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
I had Dish for 20+ years and it was always a good value for me if I could keep it under $100/month. As prices crept up and their goddamn ridiculous "equipment rental fees" got bigger as well, it became a struggle. I called them 2 years ago when the bill was going to go to $160+ for everything I already subscribed to plus equipment and told them I was going to cancel if they couldn't bring the price down. The offered me an upgrade on all my equipment (new hopper, joeys, etc.) plus all my usual programming for $100 even.

Yeah, pretty similar here.

The various equipment charges are almost half my cost and, with just me to concern myself with here soon, it's not even worth half the price anymore.
Old 09-05-2022, 11:35 AM   #647
Silver Owl
High School JV

Quote:
fwiw, Hulu's own documentation online AND several sites that review this sort of stuff all say that SEC Network Plus games are only available through the ESPN app.

I think I'm just giving up. We'll probably ditch dish (since equipment glitches leave anything in the 400s and above (where SECN resides) a crap shoot to watch at best anymore, kid can navigate YouTube TV short term to get through football season and then I'll just drop TV access entirely once he heads back to Miami.

Looks like Fubo has SEC channels.
Old 09-05-2022, 12:40 PM   #648
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Owl View Post
Looks like Fubo has SEC channels.

Same deal though, to watch the games on the Plus portion of the network (i.e. the alternate feeds aside from the primary game) then you have to log into the ESPN app and leave Fubo to see 'em

They spell it out in their support FAQ

Security check

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-05-2022 at 12:40 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 09:33 AM   #649
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

FWIW for Hulu, I scrolled through the Live grid, found an ESPN+ for India-Sri Lanka cricket match, and am watching it without going outside of Hulu (maybe it happens behind the scenes but I did not have to click on a separate ESPN app).

I see an SEC/ESPN network channel in the live grid but do not see a specific SEC+ channel (but do see other ESPN+ channels). Don't know if this helps
Old 09-06-2022, 11:59 AM   #650
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
FWIW for Hulu, I scrolled through the Live grid, found an ESPN+ for India-Sri Lanka cricket match, and am watching it without going outside of Hulu (maybe it happens behind the scenes but I did not have to click on a separate ESPN app).

I see an SEC/ESPN network channel in the live grid but do not see a specific SEC+ channel (but do see other ESPN+ channels). Don't know if this helps

Yep, that's as they describe it.

ESPN+ doesn't solve my problem (and that of many SEC fans in particular, based on the comments on my social media). Several noted to me that they've had to go to three-TV setups just to get through football season without pulling all their hair out.