Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

PING: JiMGA (re ESPNews and Classic)

Saw this on Sports Media Watch. Any info on what they might do? I'm not surprised about Classic, but I would have thought ESPNews would be doing better based on the number of people who bitch and moan (me included) about how schlocky Sportscenter has become. But I guess when you run a ticker on every channel with scores and can get highlights on your phone, maybe you don't need either one...?

Quote:
Changes Coming To ESPNews and ESPN Classic?

ESPN's John Skipper did not exactly speak in glowing terms about ESPNews and ESPN Classic in a recent interview.

Skipper was blunt in discussing the shortcomings of both networks in an interview with the Houston Chronicle, noting that the classic games on ESPN Classic do not attract a "big enough audience" and that ESPNews is "becoming less useful" due to live SportsCenters and ESPN3.com.

"It turns out that while the idea of showing old games seems neat, no one watches," Skipper said of ESPN Classic. "You put on an old game, the only people who watch are fans of the team that won."

The troubles of ESPN Classic are nothing new. In September 2009, MediaPost reported that the network's advertising revenue had declined 38% from 2006, and its viewership in the key adults 18-49 demographic was lower than "at least 70 other cable networks."

Meanwhile, ESPNews is apparently having its own troubles. Skipper told the Chronicle that "[w]e know how many people are watching [ESPNews], and it's in decline."

According to Skipper, ESPN is "working" on ESPNews and ESPN Classic, and should have "something to announce" in the next two months.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.net/2010...-and-espn.html
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
cuervo72
Head Coach

The problem with ESPN Classic (besides being moved from free into a tier on DirecTV?) is that they're lacking for content. With NHL, MLB, NBA, NFL all running their own networks it seems like they're keeping their old libraries pretty much to themselves. That leaves what, boxing and American Gladiators?

The problem with ESPNews is that they loop the same thing over and over. There's no real point in watching for more than 15-30 minutes.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
rowech
Pro Starter

ESPN news died a slow death as the internet developed.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:40 PM   #4
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

I really like espnews for the press conferences, especially during football season.
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
The problem with ESPNews is that they loop the same thing over and over. There's no real point in watching for more than 15-30 minutes.

True, but hasn't that always been the case? I thought the whole point was to give you all the sports info you needed in about 20-30 minutes - and of course, when I might be able to watch is different from when you can watch.

I assume if this is attributable to the internet, channels like CNN Headline News are suffering the same way?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
Butter
Coordinator

Yeah, CNN Headline News is not that any more, that's for sure.

ESPN should just change ESPN Classic to ESPN3 (or 4 if they insist on keeping the name 3 online), and start showing more international sports. Guarantee their viewership would increase over old college basketball games, American Gladiators, and Stump the Schwab.

Let Classic Sports TV reform and do what they were doing before, and stay out of it this time.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Saw this on Sports Media Watch. Any info on what they might do?

Somewhere around here there's a thread with me predicting the demise of Classic months ago (maybe a year ago or more). Systems carrying Classic were encouraged to replace it with ESPN-U and/or ESPN Deportes in their lineup, with favorable terms given to those who go along, something that actually got started in spring of 2009. That's been somewhat successful, so the continuation of the network was in doubt for quite a while now.

Rumors about it have varied from "ESPN3" to a merger with the NFL Network or even the USOC Network that was reported a while back (no idea what happened to it, might be up for all I know) to a full-time soccer channel.

If I had to guess, I suspect News will get some sort of makeover similar to what Headline News did, maybe even personality driven nights complete with viewer interaction.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:20 PM   #8
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I'm fascinated that ESPN's VP of content would trash ESPNews and ESPN Classic in the middle of a retrans battle with Time Warner Cable over carriage fees for ESPN. Not much of a chance to get more money for those two channels now.

It sounds like it's very likely those two channels are going away but there's no chance of ESPN giving up the channel space. Maybe moving ESPN3 to cable is a possibility. They need to put something on those two channels.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #9
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Rumors about it have varied from "ESPN3" to a merger with the NFL Network or even the USOC Network that was reported a while back (no idea what happened to it, might be up for all I know) to a full-time soccer channel.

If I had to guess, I suspect News will get some sort of makeover similar to what Headline News did, maybe even personality driven nights complete with viewer interaction.
I'd concur with your assessment. A merger with the NFL Network is too good of an idea to be true -- it would be a great combination and would help get NFLN on systems where it isn't currently available. Perhaps they might consider an NFL channel of their own focusing solely on pro football.

I almost mentioned a soccer channel in my earlier post. ESPN has gone all-in on soccer but they are getting their ass kicked by Fox when it comes to the sport.

But the idea of another 24-hour soccer channel makes me sick. Fox has like three right now, and I can't imagine there's a market for another. But it still seems like something ESPN would do.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #10
Ksyrup

As far as "classic sports" channels go, I don't know if any of them can be popular, but maybe they can get a bit more traction on a regional/local basis? Here in Kentucky, the NBC affiliate is partnering with the Wazoo Sports Network (?) to provide 24/7 sports programming on its secondary digital channel. From the description I found about it,

"... this new channel will feature live high school and college sporting events from around the state, as well as classic University of Kentucky basketball and football games from 1951 to the present."

Maybe by focusing the programming to a region, it will be a more successful sell rather than trying to sell general classic sports on a national level.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-02-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As far as "classic sports" channels go, I don't know if any of them can be popular, but maybe they can get a bit more traction on a regional/local basis? Here in Kentucky, the NBC affiliate is partnering with the Wazoo Sports Network (?) to provide 24/7 sports programming on its secondary digital channel. From the description I found about it,

"... this new channel will feature live high school and college sporting events from around the state, as well as classic University of Kentucky basketball and football games from 1951 to the present."

Maybe by focusing the programming to a region, it will be a more successful sell rather than trying to sell general classic sports on a national level.

I'll resist the "classic Kentucky football?!?!?!?" joke and instead wonder how much footage would actually be available for a regional approach in most places, with rights holders being all over the place. The cost of acquiring things seems likely to be prohibitive for all but the major players.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:10 PM   #12
Ksyrup

"Classic" as in "old," not "good."
Old 08-02-2010, 05:59 PM   #13
miami_fan
Coordinator

Isn't this a justification for all the extra "crap" that is on ESPN that everyone complains about?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #14
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Honestly, I have a feeling that ESPN Classic will become ESPN Talk: Mike & Mike, The Herd, SVP running the day time programming, Around the Horn/PTI reruns during the early evening, and ESPN Sportscenter at night/overnight

Last edited by SirFozzie : 08-02-2010 at 06:12 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:19 AM   #15
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

‘SportsCenter‘ Expanding With Seven Live Weekday Hours on ESPNEWS

ESPN’s definitive sports news brand, SportsCenter, will expand by seven hours each weekday beginning Monday, Aug. 30, when ESPNEWS offers live SportsCenter programs from 3-6 and 7-11 p.m. ET. ESPNEWS, the 24-hour sports news network, will continue to present 30-minute news and highlights blocks the rest of the day, outside of the SportsCenter windows. The new ESPNEWS editions will supplement SportsCenter on ESPN, which airs live on weekdays generally from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., and at 6 p.m., 11 p.m. and 1 a.m. (reaired 2-9 a.m.), and on weekends.

As part of the expansion, during SportsCenter on ESPNEWS, there will be an increased emphasis on integrated elements to and from ESPN.com, particularly in the 3-6 p.m. block. Examples will include television segments incorporating ESPN’s local.com sites (ESPNBoston.com, ESPNNewYork.com, ESPNLosAngeles.com, ESPNChicago.com and ESPNDallas.com); interactive polls; fan videos and photos; social media content from fans and athletes; and viewer Q&As with ESPN commentators. Potential SportsCenter-branded videos produced for ESPN.com each day may include extended interviews, the most memorable video of the day, most talked about stories and best highlights and star performances.

“SportsCenter is our flagship franchise and we’re always looking for new and effective ways to strengthen it,” said Norby Williamson, ESPN executive vice president, production. “These steps will increase the show’s live TV presence, connect with sports fans in the digital space and provide dynamic new sales opportunities. We’re showcasing SportsCenter within primetime television hours and during an active time for online traffic.”

Cindy Brunson and Robert Flores will generally co-host the 3-6 p.m. SportsCenter block. The anchor team from ESPN’s 6 p.m. show will also work the 7-8 p.m. hour on ESPNEWS, while the 8-11 p.m. SportsCenter window on ESPNEWS will primarily be co-hosted by Linda Cohn and Kevin Negandhi.

The new format of SportsCenter on ESPNEWS will provide more flexibility to create new advertising elements, which may include integrated packages with SportsCenter on ESPN.com and sponsor-able, commercial-free hours within the new programming blocks.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:00 AM   #16
Ksyrup

Great. So it's basically turn to the web for quick info, or watch the scroll bar. I thought the whole point of ESPNews was to NOT have to watch an hour's worth of sports highlights to get what you want.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:30 AM   #17
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
True, but hasn't that always been the case? I thought the whole point was to give you all the sports info you needed in about 20-30 minutes - and of course, when I might be able to watch is different from when you can watch.

I assume if this is attributable to the internet, channels like CNN Headline News are suffering the same way?

Remember the thread ranting about MTV a couple of months ago and then the one probably a couple of years ago and then a few years ago about how they'll introduce a new station and then eventually succumb to "crap creep" because some new show will be a little blip on the ratings radar and they'll decide to play it 4 hours a day 5 days a week?

Yeah, welcome to the ESPN version of this.

CNN HN tried to stay with all news. Then they became the "missing young woman theater" station (motto: "all kidnapped attractive people, all the time!")- I mean, nothing like seeing "Breaking News" scroll across the bottom of the screen followed by "218 days ago". And now there's crap like Nancy Grace on there. You used to be able to wake up in the morning, decide between CNNHN and The Weather Channel, watch for 30 minutes, get the daily news, and go on your way. But that's not good enough for either any more so we have the aforementioned "crap creep".

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-10-2010 at 06:31 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:43 AM   #18
QuikSand
lolzcat

It astounds me how many people who seem to have a genuine desire for quick and targeted news updates still seem to think that their television is the place to find it.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:06 AM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
But that's not good enough for either any more so we have the aforementioned "crap creep".

On the other hand, if the creep draws higher ratings, isn't that exactly what they should have done? I mean, isn't their primary purpose to generate revenue? Ever seen the ratings for TWC when they're doing their traditional weather schtick? Not exactly setting the world on fire. Hard for me to fault any of the networks for growing tired of living on scraps, which is what HLN & ESPNWS generally get from advertisers.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:08 AM   #20
Passacaglia
Coordinator

So why don't they just play Sportscenter all day on ESPN News, then use ESPN to show sports?
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:09 AM   #21
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
It astounds me how many people who seem to have a genuine desire for quick and targeted news updates still seem to think that their television is the place to find it.

I've often wondered why someone would sit through an entire Sportscenter when they can learn the score, read the game story and often see highlights online.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:11 AM   #22
Ksyrup

News updates, just news? When I'm not at home, I use my phone. For video or if I'm at home with access to a TV, I'll always choose the TV. Internet is a secondary source for me, because I've got to do all the work - I've got to click through to find the games I want, etc. Sometimes I'll do that, but most times I enjoy a more passive experience of having it brought to me. This kinda mirrors my comments in the music thread about being burned out on having to search for new music these days. It's just a lot of work. I'm not completely "done" with the internet, but I'm closer to being "finished" with it than not. It's a useful tool, but not the be-all, end-all I used to think it was. So if I'm sitting home on a Saturday night and want to see highlights from 3 big baseball games that afternoon, I'll turn on (or used to turn on) ESPNews (or MLB Quck Pitch at the end of the night).

As far as phones, my phone can show me video, but it's a lot more time consuming and (most importantly to me) battery consuming than it's worth. I almost always use my phone to follow live games and to read stats/narrative. I think I've pulled up a video on my phone less than a dozen times since I've had the capability.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-10-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:30 AM   #23
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
There is a compelling case for lying on the couch and not moving.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:39 AM   #24
Ksyrup

Yeah, sometimes I'd rather see highlights on a 50 inch HD TV from the comfort of a couch rather than a 21 inch computer screen while sitting in the same type of chair I sit in at work all day.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:35 PM   #25
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

The older I get, the more I appreciate being on the couch over sitting on a computer chair.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:38 PM   #26
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So on the same board where I keep reading how people are going to ditch TV and watch everything online, now I read how people don't like to check for scores online & would rather get them on TV.

Thrilling times we live in, completely schizophrenic society.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #27
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I don't mind watching some tv shows on my laptop, but for sports, I am a TV guy.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #28
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
So on the same board where I keep reading how people are going to ditch TV and watch everything online, now I read how people don't like to check for scores online & would rather get them on TV.

Thrilling times we live in, completely schizophrenic society.

I think it's called personal preference? I mean, if you've got the same people saying that, then sure, they are being inconsistent. I've never watched a single episode of anything online, and the only sporting events I watch online are the ones that are either not on TV (ESPN3-type stuff not being televised where I am) or I'm at work and can't watch on TV (like March Madness). Otherwise, I'll watch on TV when I can or just skip it.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:14 PM   #29
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think it's called personal preference? I mean, if you've got the same people saying that, then sure, they are being inconsistent. I've never watched a single episode of anything online, and the only sporting events I watch online are the ones that are either not on TV (ESPN3-type stuff not being televised where I am) or I'm at work and can't watch on TV (like March Madness). Otherwise, I'll watch on TV when I can or just skip it.

No, I get the two camps, I wasn't suggesting that anyone in particular was falling into both of the at the same time. It was more a lament about the incredible gap in preferences that exists today (and the near impossible task of pleasing even a decent plurality that networks face today).

That said though, your follow-up post does highlight a bit of a disconnect I noticed earlier. Here you talk about watching "events" either online or on TV, but the change for E-News really doesn't affect that, it's really in the realm of preferences for getting news/highlights/scores, etc. Mostly from idle curiosity, where do you fall on that?

Just so it's clear (to anybody confused) that I'm not picking on you or your preferences, I'm almost completely in your camp about not watching any full event online. At the same time, I'm even more completely in the camp of getting news/scores strictly from the internet. I haven't watched SC intentionally in several years, nor did I use ESPNews for that purpose either.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:32 PM   #30
Ksyrup

I get nearly all of my news online (headlines, articles, scores, transactions, etc.). However, when I want video (highlights) to go with that news, it's almost entirely from the TV. I rarely watch videos online and certainly not with my phone unless it's something extraordinary that I have to see immediately. In fact, I detest those CNN links that only go to video and not to articles (although I've noticed more links that seem to go to both rather than one or the other lately). I make sure to turn off the autoplay feature on ESPN.com that runs videos when you click on a game recap. I'll read the article, scan the box score, etc., but if I want the highlights, I'll turn on ESPNews (or MLB Quick Pitch if it's a game I know won't be covered in-depth on ESPNews).

I rarely watch Sportscenter. Maybe Sunday mornings when I've got nothing going on and I'm going over finances or something like that.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:50 AM   #31
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I get nearly all of my news online (headlines, articles, scores, transactions, etc.). However, when I want video (highlights) to go with that news, it's almost entirely from the TV. I rarely watch videos online and certainly not with my phone unless it's something extraordinary that I have to see immediately. In fact, I detest those CNN links that only go to video and not to articles (although I've noticed more links that seem to go to both rather than one or the other lately). I make sure to turn off the autoplay feature on ESPN.com that runs videos when you click on a game recap. I'll read the article, scan the box score, etc., but if I want the highlights, I'll turn on ESPNews (or MLB Quick Pitch if it's a game I know won't be covered in-depth on ESPNews).

I rarely watch Sportscenter. Maybe Sunday mornings when I've got nothing going on and I'm going over finances or something like that.

This almost describes me to the letter.