Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-27-2007, 07:49 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Soccer Thread 2007-08 {R}

*click*

Saving Game...

Figured now was as good a time as any..

Some good news for DISH Network subscribers, while it's not officially official yet, DISH Network looks to be adding Setanta Sports in July, as they have been uplinked for testing (not viewable yet) on channel 406.

In other news, Chile completely steals one from Ecuador in Copa America, coming back from 2-0 down to win 3-2.

The In-Betweener USA Squad takes on Argentina tommorrow in their Copa opener (9 PM Eastern, GOL TV).

Brazil are about to take on Mexico (9 PM Eastern tonight).. gee.. is that hot seat going to cool off anytime soon?

The other Group C game tommorrow night is Paraguay and Colombia.

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:55 PM   #2
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Chile did absolutely steal that game. Ecuador missed a couple chances to put it away in the first half.

EPL:
Glad to hear Darren Bent to Tottenham seems to be a nearly done deal. I wont be surprised if Defoe is now gone before opening day, and I'd be fine with that. I think his perceived value is higher than his actual value.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:10 PM   #3
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

pretty entertaining David Beckham/Reggie Bush video that's apparently part of some Addidas ad campaign:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii5CkiPdBSc
Old 06-27-2007, 08:20 PM   #4
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

That's.. a pretty goal.

I can't believe it, I'm rooting for Mexico to shut the Concacaf haters up.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:20 PM   #5
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

That's.. a pretty goal.

I can't believe it, I'm rooting for Mexico to shut the Concacaf haters up.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:43 PM   #6
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

dos a cero...MEXICO?
Old 06-27-2007, 10:12 PM   #7
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

DaMarcus Beazley has signed for Rangers. I think it's either a sign of the more importance that ESPN is placing on soccer (or the fact it's an utterly slow sports news day), that this was in the top5 stories on espn.com
Old 06-27-2007, 10:19 PM   #8
Critch
lolzcat

Beasley's signing got pretty favorable response from the Rangers groups. Just a bit of a worry that he may be a bit lightweight and injury prone as he's bound to attract a good deal of rough treatment in the SPL. We've got a good share of violent, immobile carthorses playing in defenses across the SPL.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:42 PM   #9
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Beasley's touch leaves a bit to be desired, but he's fast, makes good runs, and does combination play quite well. And somewhere along the line, he learned to hit a wicket left-footed set piece, becoming a big threat for the U.S. in the China game and the Gold Cup. Plus, this Gold Cup notwithstanding, he has a knack for scoring goals.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:18 PM   #10
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
pretty entertaining David Beckham/Reggie Bush video that's apparently part of some Addidas ad campaign:

Awesome./
Old 06-28-2007, 12:40 PM   #11
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
EPL:
Glad to hear Darren Bent to Tottenham seems to be a nearly done deal. I wont be surprised if Defoe is now gone before opening day, and I'd be fine with that. I think his perceived value is higher than his actual value.

Spurs have started their clearout by announcing who'll be available for transfer: Mido, Anthony Gardner, Lee Young Pyo, Hossam Ghaly, Danny Murphy, Wayne Routledge, Teemu Tainio, Defoe.

No huge surprises, but I'm a little surprised to see Teemu Tainio on the list. He's not great, but he'd be a good squad player. Nine million pounds has been mentioned as the price for Defoe, not a bad deal by EPL standards.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:55 PM   #12
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Spurs have started their clearout by announcing who'll be available for transfer: Mido, Anthony Gardner, Lee Young Pyo, Hossam Ghaly, Danny Murphy, Wayne Routledge, Teemu Tainio, Defoe.

No huge surprises, but I'm a little surprised to see Teemu Tainio on the list. He's not great, but he'd be a good squad player. Nine million pounds has been mentioned as the price for Defoe, not a bad deal by EPL standards.

So Liverpool can give up Garcia and pay 20MM for Torres, or pick up both Owen and Defoe (and keep Garcia) for 18MM. Hmm....
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:27 PM   #13
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Yes, but it's that kind of thinking that has got Liverpool a collection of half-decent strikers but no real difference makers. Not sure anyone is really clamoring for Defoe and who knows about Owen?

Good point. I'd still take Owen for Bellamy straight up ... injuries and all. Owen keeps his clubs on the golf course at least and has shown a decent rapport w/ Crouchie.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:46 PM   #14
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Capello gets fired despite winning the league. Well played Real.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...442058&cc=5901
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:22 AM   #15
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Did they win because of Capello or in spite of him?

[Somewhat serious as I didn't get to see any Real game this past year.]
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:35 AM   #16
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Capello gets fired despite winning the league. Well played Real.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...442058&cc=5901

i like the fact that they didn't even tell him face-to-face but instead called his son/lawyer since he was on vacation. real frikkin classy

power-mad predrag mijatovic anyone?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:51 AM   #17
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Wow... that was great . I can't wait to see the actual 30 second commericals on that. Hey, maybe when Becks is too old to run up and down the pitch, he can be a FG kicker, until he turns 50 or something .
Old 06-29-2007, 09:08 AM   #18
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
I'd agree. Bellamy showed nothing last year that makes me want to keep him around. I'd offload him for anything we could. He does, however, have an unbelievable ability to find himself offsides.

QFT. I just want to scream to him, 'dude you're a fast guy ... if you wait a half a second longer you'll still beat the defender to the ball'.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:20 AM   #19
Critch
lolzcat

Apparently Newcastle United have signed Edmilson from Barcelona on a free transfer. Looks like they will have a proper defense next season for the first time in years.

Gudjohnson rumored to be the next Newcastle signing target too.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:30 AM   #20
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Apparently Newcastle United have signed Edmilson from Barcelona on a free transfer. Looks like they will have a proper defense next season for the first time in years.

Thank you Big Sam!!! Thank you Mike Ashley!! Wonderful days ahead for Tyneside .
Old 06-29-2007, 09:31 AM   #21
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:

I think Newcastle is rumored to be signing every striker imaginable ... Defoe, Smith, gudjohnson, ... and they still have Owen and the rest. Good lord.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:47 AM   #22
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Gudjohnson is more of an attacking mid... at least recently.

I think Defoe, Smith, etc.. are insurance in case Owen wants to leave.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:00 PM   #23
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post

Real Madrid won because Barcelona totally fell apart. This may have been one of the worst Real Madrid teams in years.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:18 AM   #24
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Isn't Edmilson currently broken?
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:44 AM   #25
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, he'll be out until October.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:39 AM   #26
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Liverpool look to have wrapped up Fernando Torres... have to admit I haven't seen a lot of the kid. Can anyone who watches La Liga give me a scouting report? What kind of a striker is he?

I haven't been able to watch as many matches as I'd like, but as an Atletico supporter, my impression has been that the talent was there, but too much has been expected of him (IIRC he's been the team captain since he was like 18). I think he'll do well, and am pretty pissed to see him go.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:47 AM   #27
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Liverpool look to have wrapped up Fernando Torres... have to admit I haven't seen a lot of the kid. Can anyone who watches La Liga give me a scouting report? What kind of a striker is he?

He's the Spanish version of Landon Donovan. Anointed as the special one since he broke into the Atletico first team at 18 or so. Super talented, but never got any better. Good for 15 goals a year but very, very streaky. Was de-facto captain of the most dysfunctional, perpetually underachieving team in Spain. He'll be perfect in helping Liverpool finish fourth.

Technically very gifted, excellent speed a notch or two below peak Michael Owen. Can take players on. Good bit of Andy Cole selfishness as he sometimes will miss an easy pass for a shot on goal. Led La Liga the last 2-3 years in giveaways so his passing is not very accurate. As mentioned above, very streaky and needs to be coddled somewhat. Confidence is key for him even more than otehr players.

Last edited by Fighter of Foo : 07-05-2007 at 08:52 AM.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:53 AM   #28
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Man Utd appear ready to sign Carlos Tevez. From what I've read it looks to be around 20 million pounds. And the rich get richer...

I'm disappointed, but fair play to the Mancs. They've had quite an offseason. I wonder how they'll find the time for all these guys.

I've read a few articles suggesting a deal is close and that he could be signing after the Copa America, but hadn't seen any kind of fee being reported. If we get him on a permanent deal for £20m pounds I'd be delighted as Inter at one point were willing to go up to £30m. A loan for one or two seasons like the Mascherano to Liverpool move has also been mentioned. If this deal happens Smith will most likely be sold, that could recoup £6-7m.

Considering the massive debt and the fact that the last two summers the club has had a net profit on transfers I'm really surprised (and delighted) at what we've done in the transfer market this summer.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:27 AM   #29
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
He's the Spanish version of Landon Donovan. Anointed as the special one since he broke into the Atletico first team at 18 or so. Super talented, but never got any better. Good for 15 goals a year but very, very streaky. Was de-facto captain of the most dysfunctional, perpetually underachieving team in Spain. He'll be perfect in helping Liverpool finish fourth.

Technically very gifted, excellent speed a notch or two below peak Michael Owen. Can take players on. Good bit of Andy Cole selfishness as he sometimes will miss an easy pass for a shot on goal. Led La Liga the last 2-3 years in giveaways so his passing is not very accurate. As mentioned above, very streaky and needs to be coddled somewhat. Confidence is key for him even more than otehr players.

Perfect review, even more coming from a non Spanish, congrats.

You nailed it, he has huge potential, but have never been consistent enough. He can score amazing goals based mainly on his speed and then miss other clear chances.

I think that his main problem is that depends a lot on his self confidence. If he scores on the first games next season, he could be a super star, if he misses some clear chances soon, he won't do anything good for the rest of the season.

Maybe once outside of Atletico Madrid, where he had a huge pressure over him, things could be better for him.

Another problem he could face imho is his adaptation to the life in UK, language, food etc as he is "so Spanish" and i'm not even sure if he speaks English at all. Of course having Rafa Benitez as coach will help him a lot to get integrated in the English culture. Imho the 6 years deal he signed seems too risky for Liverpool, i hope i'm wrong, but i doubt he is going to finish the contract if another Spanish team calls his door in 2 or 3 years.

I hope he will do well and reach his potential as then he will be really fun to watch for the Liverpool fans.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:40 AM   #30
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post

[Somewhat serious as I didn't get to see any Real game this past year.]

They won playing so bad, but mainly because not any other team had a good season either, specially Barcelona who played nice the first half of the season and so bad at the end.

The problem with Capello and R.Madrid is mainly the ugly ultra defensive strategies from him. R.Madrid fans are said to be the most exigent in soccer, they want the team to not only to win it all but to play fun and spectacular every game, and it was exactly the opposite with Capello, as most of the games were won with low scores and playing defensive soccer and counter attacking, depending more from the players guts than from their skills. That kind of football is thought for low prestige teams, but not for R.Madrid.

This is not the first time that a coach is fired from R.Madrid after winning a title playing ugly soccer.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:01 AM   #31
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Looks like the Sun in England is reporting that Celtic are contemplating a bid for Freddy Adu after Adu's performance in the U20's. It's The Sun, and not about boobies, so take with a grain of salt.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:28 AM   #32
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

This seems like a decent place to ask a FM/Soccer related question: I took over the Colorado Rapids job in FM. We have the #1 pick. I really want a winger, but there aren't any in the draft worth the #1 overall pick. However, their is a very good looking midfielder, a few right backs, and a keeper. All of our scouts think the keeper has the potential to be one of the best in MLS with time. However, my scouts also seem high on Justin Hughes, who is our currently our #2 keeper. I'm thinking about taking the midfielder who my scouts really like as it looks to me like Hughes has a good deal of potential as well. Anyone who has seen Hughes play have any thoughts on him?

Also, FM has done it again. The game made me search out EPL games to watch a few years ago. Now, I'm searching out Colorado games.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-12-2007 at 08:29 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:08 AM   #33
Icy
Pro Starter

And Real Madrid just paid 30 Million of Euros (around $40M) for a new central defender, "Pepe" that comes from the Portuguese's team Oporto. With this he just became the 3rd most expensive defender transfer in the soccer history.

Last edited by Icy : 07-12-2007 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:16 AM   #34
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Real also signed Metzelder in the last few days, are they planning on keeping Cannavaro?
Old 07-12-2007, 10:25 AM   #35
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Real also signed Metzelder in the last few days, are they planning on keeping Cannavaro?

There is the rumor that Italian Juventus wants him, but nothing confirmed yet.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:52 AM   #36
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
There is the rumor that Italian Juventus wants him, but nothing confirmed yet.

I read that Cannovaro was linked with Napoli. Napoli have just been promoted back into Serie A, Cannovaro is from Napoli, he started his career playing for them, and his brother plays for them. Sounds like a good fit.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:09 PM   #37
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Javier Saviola from FC Barcelona to Real Madrid. Yikes!
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:18 PM   #38
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Oh yeah. JavSav is going to be REALLLLLLLLY popular when Real plays at the Bernabeau next year....
Old 07-12-2007, 02:34 PM   #39
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

oh good news, Dish Network folks. it is now official. Setanta Sports will be available on DISH Network, for the 07-08 season, starting August 1st.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:44 PM   #40
Icy
Pro Starter

Barcelona GM just talked in the radio. He is so pissed about the Saviola move for two reasons, first it was a free transfer as his contract was over, so zero profit for them, and second because he is moving the R.Madrid, the worst rival. The GM wished him the same luck in Madrid that he had in Barcelona... where he has not won any title in 6 years

Old 07-12-2007, 08:50 PM   #41
BYU 14
Coordinator

Just finished going over the transfer list and I am very happy with the moves Tottenham has made. Kaboul and Bales are both highly regarded Youngsters who should shore up what was a sometimes very shaky back line. Adding Bent to an already explosive lineup will ensure that Spurs will remain one of, if not the most exciting teams in the EPL.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:15 AM   #42
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Just finished going over the transfer list and I am very happy with the moves Tottenham has made. Kaboul and Bales are both highly regarded Youngsters who should shore up what was a sometimes very shaky back line. Adding Bent to an already explosive lineup will ensure that Spurs will remain one of, if not the most exciting teams in the EPL.

Yup. I'm really pretty happy with the offseason. I wouldn't have minded a move for an impact winger, but I guess you can only land so many targets (they were in the running for Nani until the last minute).

The amazing thing is that there really don't seem to be strong rumors about Defoe leaving. I really think Spurs might be taking a run at keeping kim, being 4 deep with starting caliber strikers (England National teamers 3-4 on the depth chart!) and making a very, very serious push for a Champions League spot.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:48 AM   #43
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Chicago Fire on on the verge of being bought, which is great news. That drop's AEG to 2 teams (LA Galaxy, Houston) and moves the league that much closer to each team being individually owned. Lamar Hunt's group still owns Dallas and Columbus, but this would make 11 owners for 13 teams.

It's not anything too exciting, but the fact that outside investors keep coming into the league of their own free will speaks volumes for the future of the league.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:30 AM   #44
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Oh yeah. JavSav is going to be REALLLLLLLLY popular when Real plays at the Bernabeau next year....

I believe you meant to say the Camp Nou? He will always be popular at the Bernabeau for leaving Barcelona for Madrid - the anti Luis Enriques.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:23 AM   #45
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post

Getting Adel Taarabt to sign permanently after being on loan last season is good news too, one of the best young prospects in Europe and looked good in a few subs appearances last season.

5mil pounds for Kevin-Prince Boateng is crazy though. He'll be next season's Ghaly.

(Although now I've said that he's bound to win EPL young player of the year).
Old 07-13-2007, 07:34 AM   #46
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Barcelona GM just talked in the radio. He is so pissed about the Saviola move for two reasons, first it was a free transfer as his contract was over, so zero profit for them, and second because he is moving the R.Madrid, the worst rival. The GM wished him the same luck in Madrid that he had in Barcelona... where he has not won any title in 6 years
Short memory? FC Barcelona won the league title in 2005 and 2006, the Super Cup in 2005 and 2006 and the UEFA Champions' League in 2006.
Edit: oh wait, he was out the door on a loan in both those succesful seasons. Good point, Icy!

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 07-13-2007 at 07:35 AM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:41 AM   #47
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Ryan Babel from Ajax to Liverpool. Their spending spree continues.

MIJB, what's your scouting report on Babel?
Old 07-13-2007, 12:14 PM   #48
Critch
lolzcat

Looks like the Carlos Tevez transfer saga is about to get more interesting. West Ham say Man Utd havent bought him, shady businessman says they nearly have, Sheffield United want to know about the shady businessman's contracts to see if they can stick it to West Ham.

On top of it all Brazilian courts have put out an arrest warrant for shady businessman (Kia Joorabchian) for money laundering and being involved in organized crime for his dealings with Brazilian team Corinthians (who happen to be Tevez's former club).

It's going to get messy.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:22 PM   #49
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

The David Beckham press conference was as cheesy as can get.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:24 PM   #50
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Looks like the Carlos Tevez transfer saga is about to get more interesting. West Ham say Man Utd havent bought him, shady businessman says they nearly have, Sheffield United want to know about the shady businessman's contracts to see if they can stick it to West Ham.

On top of it all Brazilian courts have put out an arrest warrant for shady businessman (Kia Joorabchian) for money laundering and being involved in organized crime for his dealings with Brazilian team Corinthians (who happen to be Tevez's former club).

It's going to get messy.

I think in the end West Ham is going to take it up the ass with a points deduction. It's going to come out that they never fully bought out Tevez's contract and the FA totally blew it.