Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-15-2006, 08:08 PM   #1201
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution
... but I wouldn't say by stating the obvious he's selling his team out.

It's pretty clear to me that honesty is such a shock coming from a pro athlete that very few people know how to deal with it.

"Under a bus" is where the Colts O-Line belongs after today's performance, so I really don't see a problem with somebody saying it. Problem is, they'll mostly survive the debacle, as will the head coach who will get far too easy a free pass for having utterly failed to prepare his team. Only the "idiot kicker" is probably going to get a change of venue from the whole miserable affair. And that may be the biggest problem with the whole scenario.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:10 PM   #1202
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
It's pretty clear to me that honesty is such a shock coming from a pro athlete that very few people know how to deal with it.

"Under a bus" is where the Colts O-Line belongs after today's performance, so I really don't see a problem with somebody saying it. Problem is, they'll mostly survive the debacle, as will the head coach who will get far too easy a free pass for having utterly failed to prepare his team. Only the "idiot kicker" is probably going to get a change of venue from the whole miserable affair. And that may be the biggest problem with the whole scenario.

LMAO

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:11 PM   #1203
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Everyone knows it, it doesn't need to be said. There's honesty and there's attemping to put distance between yourself and what caused the loss.

Did Seymour need to come out after the Patriots game and say "Well, let's just say we had some offensive issues." for the sake of honesty?

Last edited by jeff061 : 01-15-2006 at 08:12 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:12 PM   #1204
st.cronin
General Manager

I <3 Joey Porter.

"It's tough enough to play against the Colts themselves," Steelers linebacker Joey Porter said. "When you have to play against the Colts and the refs, it's a much harder game."

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:12 PM   #1205
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA

Agreed, I think the Colts should keep Money at kicker as I enjoy watching him choke.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:13 PM   #1206
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

There are a ton of complaints from the Steelers about the refs. Wonder if anyone gets fined. The refs should have to cover the costs.

Old 01-15-2006, 08:27 PM   #1207
Desnudo
Coordinator

Just like to cross-reference post-game quotes w/this one posted by TroyF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
Interesting. But Chris Carter has the brains of a fruit fly.

My favorite, favorite quote from any Patriots player last night:

’You can’t say we did it to ourselves,” All-Pro defensive end Richard Seymour said. ‘’When you say we beat ourselves you’re not giving the other team enough credit. We did make a lot of uncharacteristic mistakes, but in a way they forced them. As a competitive player and as a man you have to accept it. They did it to us. I’m disappointed. Very disappointed. But if you can’t accept a loss, what kind of person are you?”

Classy, admitted the failure the Patriots made as a team without trying to take away anything Denver did. Props to you Mr. Seymour.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:32 PM   #1208
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Colvin said the same thing. Samuel actually took the blame of that interference call. Really only Belichick showed a bit of attitude.

Old 01-15-2006, 09:29 PM   #1209
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061
Everyone knows it, it doesn't need to be said. There's honesty and there's attemping to put distance between yourself and what caused the loss.

Did Seymour need to come out after the Patriots game and say "Well, let's just say we had some offensive issues." for the sake of honesty?

I wouldn't have had a problem with that comment. If he said "the quarterback choked" then you are throwing a player under the bus. If you say "the offense had problems" then you are just stating a fact.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 09:38 PM   #1210
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Sideline wannabees always can tell you what someone "really" meant. What is your playoff records?
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 10:18 PM   #1211
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Lost in all of the discussion of how the steelers had to play the colts AND the refs is the fact that the steelers had 2 penalties for 8 yards while the colts had 9 for 67.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 10:29 PM   #1212
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93
Lost in all of the discussion of how the steelers had to play the colts AND the refs is the fact that the steelers had 2 penalties for 8 yards while the colts had 9 for 67.

is that irony? I don't know. It's a very good point though. Very proud of that stat.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 10:32 PM   #1213
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93

You're right, the Colts should have had at least two more.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:50 PM   #1214
33sherman
Mascot

One thing I like about the Colts loss: every so often when I play FOF, a 14-2 or 15-1 team loses that first home game in the playoffs and I think--bull****! That wouldn't happen!

But it does.
33sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 10:59 PM   #1215
Hurst2112
College Starter

i took a look at the colts forum. aside from a couple steeler fans spouting off, the colts fans seem to be pretty classy about the game. there was a big thread about troy's int. that was interesting to read.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:00 PM   #1216
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33sherman
One thing I like about the Colts loss: every so often when I play FOF, a 14-2 or 15-1 team loses that first home game in the playoffs and I think--bull****! That wouldn't happen!

But it does.

ive seen that and am in the same boat.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:53 PM   #1217
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
i took a look at the colts forum. aside from a couple steeler fans spouting off, the colts fans seem to be pretty classy about the game. there was a big thread about troy's int. that was interesting to read.

From a Colts perspective, at least the loss meant they didn't have to feel conflicted about winning that game. I was rooting for the Colts, but i would not have felt good about them winning the game after the reversal of the Polamalu INT.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:35 AM   #1218
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

If you ask me, Peyton has every right to call out his O-line. Yeah, he made a few mistakes, but I think he was sort of forced into trying to make plays that he may not normally make. The offensive line was letting guys through on almost every single play from what I saw, and that is VERY unlike them. It was like they had no idea what the Steelers were doing. If Peyton didn't have to run for his life most of the game (Which he can't do anyway) Maybe he doesn't make so many mistakes.

I mean on some of those plays it was like the offensive line just decided not to block people, especially on the play where Hampton chased him to the sideline before the sack for a near safety. He ran right between TWO offensive linemen with little resistance.

Also, Troy Polamalu is just plain ridiculous. I've never seen a guy who was seemingly omnipresent like that, but I have heard of a dude people call "God". Might that have been him?

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:05 AM   #1219
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I would agree that Peyton should have held his O-Line accountable, but it should have remained behind closed doors and not aired out in public.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:20 AM   #1220
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Interesting stat:
Quote:
Since overcoming a 13-6 deficit and defeating Dallas 16-13 in Super Bowl V, the Colts have never recovered from a halftime deficit in the playoffs.

Jan 15, 2006 Pittsburgh
Jan 16, 2005 New England
Jan 18, 2004 New England
Jan 4, 2003 New York Jets
Jan 14, 1996 Pittsburgh
Dec 19, 1976 Pittsburgh
Jan 2, 1972 Miami

Interestingly enough from this, the Colts weren't even winning at halftime the past four years.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:24 AM   #1221
rkmsuf
Head Coach

You can cross the Colts off now. Never seen anything like that team and their ability to lay down ever year in the playoffs. It's the one sure thing in football.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:41 AM   #1222
Daimyo
College Starter

I wish Peyton had kept his mouth shut, but he was absolutely correct. The Colts lost that game because they could not handle the Pittsburg pass rush. If you watch the drives where the Steelers blitzed and the ones they didn't its like two completely different offenses playing.

I do think its a leap to go from "Peyton blamed the protection" to "Peyton called out the oline." There is much more to the protection that the oline. Personally, I blame the coaching staff and the gameplan. This oline has played well all season so I can't imagine they lost on effort or technique. I just think the Colts somehow came into this game totally unprepared on both sides of the ball. The offensive gameplan had no answer for the Steeler blitz and the defensive gameplan had no answer for passes over the middle. I just can't understand how that could happen...
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:45 AM   #1223
Butter
Coordinator

Let's go BRONCS! I dislike Shanahan, but I can get past the weaselly factor if they can prevent crazy jaw from winning a Super Bowl.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:47 AM   #1224
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

The fact he said "I don't want to be a bad teammate" made it pretty clear his intention was to blame the o-line, even before he said it.

Old 01-16-2006, 12:24 PM   #1225
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
Let's go BRONCS! I dislike Shanahan, but I can get past the weaselly factor if they can prevent crazy jaw from winning a Super Bowl.

Shouldn't you be defending you star receiver and his choke holds on coaches? Or trying to sell your Kitna jersey on ebay? Doing something other than dissin' the coach of a team that owns yours?

Last edited by Hurst2112 : 01-16-2006 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:29 PM   #1226
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo
I wish Peyton had kept his mouth shut, but he was absolutely correct. The Colts lost that game because they could not handle the Pittsburg pass rush. If you watch the drives where the Steelers blitzed and the ones they didn't its like two completely different offenses playing.

I do think its a leap to go from "Peyton blamed the protection" to "Peyton called out the oline." There is much more to the protection that the oline. Personally, I blame the coaching staff and the gameplan. This oline has played well all season so I can't imagine they lost on effort or technique. I just think the Colts somehow came into this game totally unprepared on both sides of the ball. The offensive gameplan had no answer for the Steeler blitz and the defensive gameplan had no answer for passes over the middle. I just can't understand how that could happen...

I think the Colts should have run a few draws. Edgerrin James surely could have been used better. They were only down 14-3 and basically abandoned the run.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:31 PM   #1227
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
I think the Colts should have run a few draws. Edgerrin James surely could have been used better. They were only down 14-3 and basically abandoned the run.

yeah.

it was unusual to see him get going on that 98 yard drive and then be held back for the rest of the game. I was expecting to see a hundred yard game out of him.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:49 PM   #1228
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Or trying to sell your Kitna jersey on ebay?

Sad thing is, I still have a Ki-Jana Carter jersey somewhere. With any luck, destroyed in my recent sewage backup into my basement.

But Cowher has won as many Super Bowls as the Bengals in the last 14 years, so deal with that.

Yeah, I'm going to stick with that retort, I guess.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:52 PM   #1229
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Sad thing is, I still have a Ki-Jana Carter jersey somewhere. With any luck, destroyed in my recent sewage backup into my basement.

But Cowher has won as many Super Bowls as the Bengals in the last 14 years, so deal with that.

Yeah, I'm going to stick with that retort, I guess.

you just broke my 'weak comeback 'ometer'.

Check that sewage backup. You might find remnants of the Bengal's season in there.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:56 PM   #1230
Butter
Coordinator

Talking

Quote:
you just broke my 'weak comeback 'ometer'.

That's "weak-comeback-o-meter". Damn, where did you learn your English, Duquesne University?

OH YEAH! PWNED, Pittsburgh-style!
Old 01-16-2006, 01:00 PM   #1231
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
That's "weak-comeback-o-meter". Damn, where did you learn your English, Duquesne University?

university of cincinnati actually.

I'll stop. Let's continue this next year.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:18 PM   #1232
korme
Go Reds

The Panthers, Seahawks, Broncos, or Steelers are going to be SB Champs? Doesn't seem right.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:35 PM   #1233
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo
The offensive gameplan had no answer for the Steeler blitz and the defensive gameplan had no answer for passes over the middle. I just can't understand how that could happen...

Well there is the big elephant over in the corner that everybody is afraid to talk about. I am sure it will be ok to bring it up in a few months or next pre-season, but all of the sports reporters have no guts. Most people take years to get over the death of a child and sometimes never do. Add suicide on top of that and maybe Dungy shouldn't have been back to work. Am I trying to completly discredit the Steelers with that statement? No, I think they played an incredible game. But I also think that Dungy's mind can't be 100% into that game. I have had fights with friends that have lingered into and affected my work. I would guess the death of your first born might do the same.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:49 PM   #1234
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
The Panthers, Seahawks, Broncos, or Steelers are going to be SB Champs? Doesn't seem right.
Hey why not? Except for the Broncs, all of these teams were being predicted as SuperBowl contenders at the beginning of the season.