Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-19-2006, 10:14 PM   #1301
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Everytime the cup is lifted Bob Goodenow cries...
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:43 PM   #1302
molson
General Manager

I didn't see it, but apparently someone put an old Whalers jersey on the ice during the celebration.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:58 PM   #1303
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
6 days til the Draft, whoooooooooooo!

3 days until the NHL Awards show...
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:05 PM   #1304
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
And Ray Whitney drops an f-bomb!

EDIT: If I were to ever curse on national TV, I would be sure to say something cooler than "fuckin radical."
I think he said "fuckin' right." Whatever the case, I had a feeling that at least one naughty word would make it onto the air. I'm surprised that they had the mic back on later when Recchi was holding the Cup. I heard him speaking very clearly, and he behaved himself, but with so many people moving around down there, the mic could've picked up something from somebody.

Congratulations to the Hurricanes. I feel bad for the Oilers, and I feel really bad for Hartford. The Whalers did next to nothing in the playoffs in 18 years, and now Hartford fans have to watch the Cup being lifted in North Carolina. Talk about bittersweet. Well, probably much more bitter than sweet. Ouch.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:15 PM   #1305
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Big congrats to the Canes. Maybe now that they won it instead of making an appearance, they can make this one last a bit. I think they're much better set for that, of course, with younger stars like Staal, Cole and Ward around.

And I'm happy for Gerber. Hey, Ward deserved the Conn Smythe and is this club's future in the net, but don't forget how Gerbs got you to the playoffs!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:19 PM   #1306
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Ugh.

Tampa Bay. Carolina.

No wonder no one watches hockey anymore.

I wonder how people here would like it if the Argos and Eskimos were playing in the Super Bowl.

How long before the NHL just creates a Canadian Conference to ensure that Canadians teams get to the NHL finals and have a 50% chance to win the Cup?

Can't be any worse than when they created the Western Division way back in '67

Last edited by Young Drachma : 06-19-2006 at 11:21 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:23 PM   #1307
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors

I feel really bad for Hartford. The Whalers did next to nothing in the playoffs in 18 years, and now Hartford fans have to watch the Cup being lifted in North Carolina. Talk about bittersweet. Well, probably much more bitter than sweet. Ouch.

That's all I could think when I watched this game and whenever I see that team on TV or hear them referenced.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:18 AM   #1308
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I understand and have sympathy for Hartford folks who lost the team. It wasn't as if we asked for the Whalers to move down to Raleigh. It was pretty much bolt-from-the-blue type stuff when it was announced they were coming. NC State had been trying to get a new arena built for years, but could never come up with the scratch on their own to do it. Karmanos couldn't get a new arena deal in Hartford to his liking and the folks in Raleigh decided to jump on the chance to get a pro sports team and get the arena built not just for NC State, but for the newly coming hockey team and for the city. Rest is history now. I do hate it for Hartford, but what's done is done.

Having said all that, I am so glad my reverse-psychology pessimism paid off. I kept disbelieving they'd win right up until Williams banged home the empty-netter. Even then, with a minute to go, I still was concerned Edmonton had just enough time to put two in and force OT.

At any rate, I discovered how hard it can be to celebrate without actually making much of a sound. I wanted to shout and scream for joy (still want to), but having a two-year-old and a two-month-old asleep at the time of the game's ending ruled that out entirely. My wife barely understands why I love this team and this game and so she indulges me as much as she can, but I think I'd have been in some trouble if I woke the kids up.

Kudos to Edmonton and all their fans. Such tenacity and grit should rarely be rewarded with just the Clarence Campbell Trophy, but that's how it shook out this time. As I noted before, a couple less accurate shots in game four and Edmonton skates away with the Cup on their home ice in game six. It was that close.

Carolina Hurricanes: 2006 Stanley Cup Champions

Even after typing it, it is still hard to believe that the statement is true. It seemed so far away after the dismal funk of 2002-03 and 2003-04 when the team was essentially DFL in the league. Now Brindy, Wesley, Weight, and all the grizzled vets who have fought so long to win a championship finally have it and their names will be engraved for all time. Staal and Ward and Ladd and all the youngbloods get their names on there as well. I hope they realize how fortunate they are to get that honor so young. I don't know what they'll do for an encore in 2006-07, but hopefully it'll be more of the same. The team will change a bit for next year, but hopefully Jim Rutherford can continue to do his magic within Karmanos's penny-pinching constraints to at least produce another successful season and perhaps another deep in the playoffs next year. The Southeast is going to only get harder as Atlanta gets another year older, Ovechkin moves from rookie to bona-fide stud along with whoever they draft near the top of the order in the draft up in Washington, and Tampa Bay looks to bounce back from a mildly disappointing season this year. Should be great fun.

As Ric Flair might say, "The Carolina Hurricanes are Stanley Cup Champions! Woooooo! Woooooo!"
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 12:25 AM   #1309
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
Ugh.

Tampa Bay. Carolina.

No wonder no one watches hockey anymore.

I wonder how people here would like it if the Argos and Eskimos were playing in the Super Bowl.

How long before the NHL just creates a Canadian Conference to ensure that Canadians teams get to the NHL finals and have a 50% chance to win the Cup?

Can't be any worse than when they created the Western Division way back in '67

I have no words....I'll let ML rip on this one.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.

Last edited by bbor : 06-20-2006 at 12:26 AM.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 12:36 AM   #1310
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
I have no words....I'll let ML rip on this one.

I wasn't that serious, relax.

I understand the economics of it, it makes plenty of sense. Besides, most of the players were foreigners or vets anyway and I always enjoy seeing that. So, I get it. But..it's just weird to watch how much the sport has changed -- and I don't just mean the rules -- in less than 15 years.

I don't think there is a parallel for that in "major" (I use that term loosely) North American sports, where the entire sport has essentially eshewed all the things that made it great.

To be more succint, if this was baseball and it'd gone down this way, all the purists would be burning anything they could get their hands on or swearing from here to Bill James' house and back.

Not that Bud hasn't tried to out-Bettman Gary, its just different because of the dynamics involved. That and it seems baseball fans will put up with just about anything and I'm one of them.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 06-20-2006 at 12:37 AM.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:08 AM   #1311
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I smuggled it offline someplace...I felt it was a fitting end to the thread. Well, that and a link to Brass Bonanza.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 06-20-2006 at 01:08 AM.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:10 AM   #1312
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Congratulations to the Hurricanes. I feel bad for the Oilers, and I feel really bad for Hartford. The Whalers did next to nothing in the playoffs in 18 years, and now Hartford fans have to watch the Cup being lifted in North Carolina. Talk about bittersweet. Well, probably much more bitter than sweet. Ouch.

interesting stat on ESPN, which I had to switch to after NBC's lame post-game show ended: 7 of the last 11 cup winners are transplanted teams.

all I know is, I'm going to enjoy my 3 McGuire-free months
Old 06-20-2006, 07:19 AM   #1313
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
interesting stat on ESPN, which I had to switch to after NBC's lame post-game show ended: 7 of the last 11 cup winners are transplanted teams.

all I know is, I'm going to enjoy my 3 McGuire-free months

Devils (3), Avs (2), Stars, Hurricanes....too bad the Flames couldn't have won. Isn't that the last team to move from the US to Canada?

Last edited by Young Drachma : 06-20-2006 at 07:21 AM.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:35 AM   #1314
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
And I'm happy for Gerber. Hey, Ward deserved the Conn Smythe and is this club's future in the net, but don't forget how Gerbs got you to the playoffs!

I don't think anybody around here will do that. He got us the home game for game 7 during the regular season, and despite his ups-and-downs had a whale (heh) of a relief appearance when Ward took his stumble in the playoffs.

This was an all-around team effort, from both goaltenders through the fourth line through the only-occasionally-used bench players.

I'm also glad that Cole got a chance to get on the ice for this run.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:37 AM   #1315
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Go Canes Go!

Watching how much support the team gets down here, I have no doubt that they belong here. It's good for the team, and it's good for hockey. That said, I feel for any region that loses its team. If I were king of the world, there would be no relocation in any major sports. So I can see where the "the Canes belong in Hartford" sentiment derives.

There does, however, seem to be a real sense among people that "The Canes belong in Hartford"--even more so than for other relocated teams. Why is that? Is it because Hartford is close to ESPN headquarters? Were they seen as loveable losers before they left? Were there "issues" around them leaving? Do hockey fans just hate any region below Washington D.C.? Or is there really no difference and I am just perceiving it more because I follow the Canes?

Forgive these possibly ignorant questions, but I just didn't follow hockey before the Canes moved here--so I have no sense of Hartford's history. I guess that I am one of the new fans that they managed to attract with relocation.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 06-20-2006 at 08:38 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:47 AM   #1316
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:56 AM   #1317
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
There does, however, seem to be a real sense among people that "The Canes belong in Hartford"--even more so than for other relocated teams. Why is that? Is it because Hartford is close to ESPN headquarters? Were they seen as loveable losers before they left? Or is there really no difference and I am just perceiving it more because I follow the Canes?

I think it's some combination of the above. The ESPN angle certainly fuels it a bit. I think the "loveable loser" angle is a pretty big one too. The Whalers were a small market team in a unique location (no other sports teams in the city), they never had any real success while in Hartford, they had a cool name with a unique jersey. It all adds up.

Then I think you certainly perceive it more becuse you follow them. I see the occassional Whalers jersey and hear (well, heard, when I still watched) the occassional quips on ESPN. Other than that, I never really read or hear anything about it.

It's been what? 9, 10 years now? That's a pretty long time. I am sure there are fans in Hartford who still follow the team, but I think the Hurricanes are pretty well established.

The Hurricanes' arena was rocking. It looked like an amazing place to go watch a hockey game. The crowd was great. Back in the Cup winning days Joe Louis was rocking, but I don't think it ever was like I saw in Raleigh (or Edmonton for that matter) during the last few rounds of the playoffs. Both places had an amazing atmosphere.

I understand some people don't like the notion of hockey teams being south of D.C. or the Mason-Dixon line or whatever. I don't care about that. If the team can fill the arena and has a good fanbase, good for them. It didn't irritate me to see Tampa Bay win in '04 and didn't bother me last night. To be honest, I'd much rather see a team like Carolina, whose game was built on great type of hockey based on speed, skill, scoring, etc. win the Cup than a defensive-minded, trapping, clutching and grabbing team like New Jersey (no offense, Pumpy!) or Calgary do it. Like all sports, the NHL is a copy cat league and if we see more that type of hockey, the game will continue to improve.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:56 AM   #1318
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
[*IMG]http://ishouldstudymore.net/27/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/gowhale.gif[/IMG*]
I smuggled it offline someplace...I felt it was a fitting end to the thread. Well, that and a link to Brass Bonanza.

Nice.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:04 AM   #1319
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Devils (3), Avs (2), Stars, Hurricanes....too bad the Flames couldn't have won. Isn't that the last team to move from the US to Canada?
Wait until the Winnipeg Penguins dynasty kicks in.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:41 AM   #1320
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Wait until the Winnipeg Penguins dynasty kicks in.

I wish, but a ping-pong ball and a kid named Crosby killed that possibility.

Realistically, are there any teams that are in danger of leaving their cities anymore? I'm thinking Winnipeg is pretty much screwed.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 10:14 AM   #1321
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo
I wish, but a ping-pong ball and a kid named Crosby killed that possibility.

Realistically, are there any teams that are in danger of leaving their cities anymore? I'm thinking Winnipeg is pretty much screwed.
Believe me, there is no guarantee that the Penguins will be in Pittsburgh after next season. Crosby helped get people into the seats, but he didn't get the Pens a new arena.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:15 AM   #1322
bbor
Pro Starter

I hate to admit it.....but i really enjoyed this season.

I hate to admit it because it was mostly Bettmans doing.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 12:06 PM   #1323
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Believe me, there is no guarantee that the Penguins will be in Pittsburgh after next season. Crosby helped get people into the seats, but he didn't get the Pens a new arena.

I don't believe the Pens are going anywhere, its all posturing by the different sides. A last minute deal will be reached that will keep the Pens in Pittsburgh for the next 10-20 years.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 06-20-2006, 12:09 PM   #1324
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo
I don't believe the Pens are going anywhere, its all posturing by the different sides. A last minute deal will be reached that will keep the Pens in Pittsburgh for the next 10-20 years.
Perhaps, but the Pens can't stay if they don't get a new arena. They are not going to play in Mellon Arena past next season, nor should they. Maybe it was state-of-the-art 45 years ago, but it's substandard now, to put it kindly. I like having the NHL nearby, so I hope the Penguins stay, even though I'm a Devils fan. I'm just not anywhere near 100% sure that it's going to happen.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:35 PM   #1325
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

They will get their fancy new arena/casino and Sidney will play in front of empty seats for years to come. Meanwhile, Winnipeggers like me will continue to despise the Manitoba Moose for no other reason than that they are not the Winnipeg Jets, whilst circling the US teams like jackals waiting for a weak member of the herd to stumble.