Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-05-2006, 09:04 PM   #1601
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I had fun with a restart. Set it up playing All-Pro with 6 minute quarters. I decided to go with the Texans to see how quick I could rebuild a team. I traded down a couple of times until I maxed out my draft picks, and in the ten spot who was left on the board but AJ Hawk. That was funny considering he is always the first pick in every season I'd simmed.

The owner wanted a QB drafted, so I picked up Brady Croyle in the third round. He actually started with better stats than Carr, so he went into the first pre-season game as the starter. I finally saw my first non-sim injury in that pre-season game (cranked injury slider all the way up), and guess who? Croyle, chest injury, season. Ugh.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:28 PM   #1602
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
Speaking purely as a designer, I would have done this differently.

First, what they did right is realize they already had the basis of a nice sim in Madden. This is something we talked about back when I had a lot of contacts at EA. The graphics engine is put together in such a way that you can use it as an API - just tell it some things about the play and it will model the play for you in 3D. If online FOF had worked out for them, we were going to add this engine to FOF and put together a Sportscenter like module around it for game highlights.

This game is different. What they're trying to capture is what life is like as a head coach in the NFL. But the reality of the situation is that head coaches in the NFL spend about 100 hours preparing for each game. EA realized that you can't literally spend 100 hours preparing, so they broke it up into a set number of half-hour bites. You get a taste of some of the activities, but nothing too involved. What you're doing is probably fairly realistic, but the effects aren't because coaching is largely a free-form marathon - your real genius is deciding what you can accomplish in a week out of the month's worth of work you realize you need to do to prepare for the next game. In Head Coach, the structure eliminates the opportunity for genius. What's left quickly becomes tedious, and that's enhanced by the wealth of splash screens.

My approach would have been to treat Head Coach like the old-time adventure games. You've reached the playoffs, and your goal is to take your team to the Super Bowl. You'd have a free-form world in which you have a limited amount of gaming time to put together a coaching staff, a playbook and a training program. By solving football-related puzzles, you might gain access to new plays. By having conversations with characters (like your staff, or like the famous coaches from the past), you might gain insight into your strengths and your opponents' weaknesses. In NFLHC, you give input, but you don't learn a lot. That's why people report so much frustration the more they spend some time with it.

What can I learn from Bill Parcells that will help me beat the run-happy Steelers? That's the kind of question that could make this type of game come alive.

During games, you call plays, get feedback from your staff. The beauty of this adventure approach is the replay value. Just by running a different team you can change the game completely. And the games themselves will have that random element that adventure games lack. Because of that, you need to provide a more concrete beginning and end.

I would also eliminate the draft. It's too repetitive. Drafting is something that begins with endless scouting. It takes four years to learn if you've done a good job. That's an eternity for a head coach - too much of one for a game like this.

Anyhow, that's just one take on this. I'd appreciate it if this were not quoted elsewhere out of the context of this particular aspect of the discussion. I don't want to be seen as having some axe to grind against EA - or even against Joe Stallings. As I've said before many times, my experiences with EA were very positive. Just bad luck that I'm not still working with them.

You had me until you said no draft. The draft can be the most exciting part of the game when you go after a heavily touted college player. Either way, I am saddened to see that you aren't with them anymore. It would have been nice to see FOF with Madden graphics.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:28 PM   #1603
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog
Please stop causing problems.

lol
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:22 PM   #1604
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM
but there are no sales numbers here on xbox for 2004 - so you cannot draw a conclusion about the increase or decrease (neither can I since the data isn't here - quite honestly I didn't notice that missing data until you pointed it out)

however I still stand by my assumption that EA was "worried" about the 3M+ units that 2k5 sold, and that led them to the exclusive license. but that is nothing more then an assumption - the data I supplied was nothing more then "proof" that 2k5 did quite well, better then I would have guessed and better then I think most people assume.

as to whether they cut into their sales, that is a data analysis that would require much more data - I have watched my wife do that kind of analysis for over 10 years and I have a general idea of how they do it, so much more goes into category management then simple comparison of sales - trends in the category, the segment, etc, etc. I am sure EA knows whether sega cut into their sales - but I don't think a conclusion can be drawn from the limited amount of data that is available.

I assumed there was no 2004 xbox data cause the xbox wasn't out, but I'm really not sure when it came out ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:08 PM   #1605
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
I assumed there was no 2004 xbox data cause the xbox wasn't out, but I'm really not sure when it came out ...

you know - when you first posted that I wondered that as well - but it looks like xbox came out in 2001 and the first version of Madden on the xbox was 2004, it is possible it didn't sell well enough to make it on that list, but since the list doesn't have a lot of background information it is hard to tell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madden_NFL_2002
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:20 PM   #1606
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
you know - when you first posted that I wondered that as well - but it looks like xbox came out in 2001 and the first version of Madden on the xbox was 2004, it is possible it didn't sell well enough to make it on that list, but since the list doesn't have a lot of background information it is hard to tell.

Oh, well...

Blah... I'm not sure the point I was trying to make anyways, but I guess what I'm sayin' is that EA makes a crap load of money from Madden, even when they were competing with Sega.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:30 PM   #1607
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:

I believe they had Madden every year for XBOX. But the early versions of Madden on the XBOX did not support XBOX live.

I had an XBOX and a PC at the time. But, I bought the PC version since there wasn't any online play on XBOX till about 2 years ago.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:17 AM   #1608
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Correct. I got the XBOX when it first came out. Madden was available, but I decided to give NFL Fever (Microsoft) a try to compare the two. NFL Fever actually wasn't too bad, but Madden beat the crap out of it in sales.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:23 AM   #1609
CraigSca
Pro Starter

While EA didn't necessarily lose sales due to ESPN, they did see the opportunity to knock them out while they still had the chance. If you see a potential 500 lb gorilla in your backyard, it makes much more sense to think proactively and protect your franchise early rather than later.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:53 PM   #1610
MacroGuru
Coordinator

So what are the settings people are using for the game through CW's program?
Old 07-18-2006, 08:03 PM   #1611
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Anybody still playing this game?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:13 PM   #1612
dbd1963
High School JV

Not me. I enjoyed it, but the stats problem is a killer. I don't want to do all the work of playing it only to have the stats be off so much.
dbd1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:33 PM   #1613
RedKingGold
College Starter

Played it (Xbox version) for the first two days it came out.

Haven't touched it since (just too tedious)
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:41 PM   #1614
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

The leaguewide stats problem has been the major killer for me. I've played it a bit but with NCAA out, I doubt it will get much more time out of me unless simulated stats are fixed.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:48 PM   #1615
miami_fan
Coordinator

Will probably be traded in for NCAA 07
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:46 PM   #1616
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Nope.....Way to tedious for me....great idea. piss poor execution for me.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:49 PM   #1617
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

I really wish I was. I overall enjoy the game, and I guess I've had the time to play it... but when it comes down to it I just don't pick it up to play.
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:53 AM   #1618
Joker
H.S. Freshman Team

waiting for the next one!
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:46 PM   #1619
dbd1963
High School JV

They will have to really knock it out of the park if I'm to pick up the next one. This one was so much work, with no payoff. I feel ripped. So I won't be a guinea pig for them next time.
dbd1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:36 AM   #1620
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKER
waiting for the next one!

Do you think there will be either a patch or more importantly a Headcoach 2? What is the concensus of those of you who have played it? Can they fix it, or maybe the better question is will they? I have a feeling this could be a 1 and done game. I Really like the concept and considered doing the same as Joker and wait for the next one, but if sales and reviews are bad there may not be a next one. At the very least I am not paying $40 for it, I will wait for the price slash.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:45 AM   #1621
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble_Platypus
Do you think there will be either a patch or more importantly a Headcoach 2? What is the concensus of those of you who have played it? Can they fix it, or maybe the better question is will they? I have a feeling this could be a 1 and done game. I Really like the concept and considered doing the same as Joker and wait for the next one, but if sales and reviews are bad there may not be a next one. At the very least I am not paying $40 for it, I will wait for the price slash.

I think the biggest problem is the interface which is just not patchable. Having the ability to only due certain things on certain days is too time-consuming for a game that hasn't really shown the depth. Also, the majority of the actions in the game are just too tedious.

If they made a Head Coach 2, the interface would have to be one of the first things fixed, or I won't even give it a look.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:50 AM   #1622
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

I dont they will fix the interface. I would assume that would be costly and time consuming and they would scrap it before completely redoing the game.