Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-13-2009, 12:48 PM   #1951
watravaler
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
I'd love to see the two division and divisional playoff format again. Since I only really know the West, I'd probably move Dallas and Minnesota into the "Central" and move Colorado and the three western Canadian teams with Phoenix and the three California teams.

This year you'd get the same teams in, but flip the 3/6 and 4/5 matchups.

(1) Detroit vs. (4) Columbus
(2) Chicago vs. (3) St. Louis

(1) San Jose vs. (4) Anaheim
(2) Vancouver vs. (3) Calgary.

That's pretty much awesome.

It is/was awesome, and it needs to come back. Screw 6 divisions and the current playoff/league format and point set-up. I'll still watch, but expansion has not been good for the game, imo, but the powers that be can fix the screw-ups of the late 90's/early 00's by going back to the old 4 division set up. It will make everything OK in my book...forgive and forget.

But the way it's set-up now? Minny and Detroit/Chicago not in the same division? DUMB

Last edited by watravaler : 04-13-2009 at 12:51 PM.
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:56 PM   #1952
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by watravaler View Post
It is/was awesome, and it needs to come back. Screw 6 divisions and the current playoff/league format and point set-up. I'll still watch, but expansion has not been good for the game, imo, but the powers that be can fix the screw-ups of the late 90's/early 00's by going back to the old 4 division set up. It will make everything OK in my book...forgive and forget.

But the way it's set-up now? Minny and Detroit/Chicago not in the same division? DUMB

The biggest (and perhaps only) drawback to this system is that you're very likely to have teams that should be in the playoffs excluded and weaker teams included. I'd still be in favor of it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 04-13-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #1953
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I was hoping that the Devils would somehow end up playing Montreal or Philadelphia in the playoffs. Unfortunately, Philadelphia hung on to that #4 spot, and Montreal never got totally out of the tank. I haven't followed Carolina very closely this year, but I know that the Hurricanes are capable of beating the Devils.

Hey, I'm glad that Parise had a monster season and Brodeur is back, but it's the other guys on that team who worry me. The team really doesn't have much past its top two lines, but I think the offense can hold it together. That's not my biggest concern. This isn't easy for a Devils fan to say, but I have no faith in the New Jersey defense right now. They don't have a defenseman that really scares anybody, they don't have a real offensive threat on the blue line, and it's hard to trust no-names like Andy Greene and Mike Mottau in high-pressure situations.

I'll be watching the series because I'm a Devils fan, but I'm not terribly excited about it.

The Devils still have Colin White. I think I read some posts here before where you said he was basically your new Scott Stevens? Or am I mistaken there?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:38 PM   #1954
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
The biggest (and perhaps only) drawback to this system is that you're very likely to have teams that should be in the playoffs excluded and weaker teams included. I'd still be in favor of it.

That would be a factor, but I don't think it would be a severe one - maybe the occasional #5 team better than the #3 in a another division. If you have an unbalanced schedule and focus on divisional games, such comparisons between divisions would be flawed anyway. And actually, the smaller the divisions, the greater the chance for such statistical anomalies (see the NFL). In the current NHL system it's pretty easy to have a division winner that's only the 6th or 7th best team in the conference.

It's funny, sometimes we (or really, the leagues) want a huge amount of small divisions, and sometimes we sound like we only want one big division. Some people complained about the Patriots, for example, not making the NFL playoffs over teams with worse records. The solution to that (if it's a problem) would be to have 1 division w/32 teams, and the top 12 making the playoffs.

Last edited by molson : 04-13-2009 at 02:39 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #1955
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
The Devils still have Colin White. I think I read some posts here before where you said he was basically your new Scott Stevens? Or am I mistaken there?
That's your ass.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #1956
Logan
Head Coach

Obligatory crosspost.

Front Office Football Central - View Single Post - The OFFICIAL 2008-09 NHL Playoffs Thread
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:43 AM   #1957
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
I'm new with Google docs, hopefully these link works

Option 1- team pool.

Pretty simple, rank teams 1-16, 16 being your Cup winner. You receive points per each teams win.

Welcome to Google Docs

Option 2 - player based.

Since I don't think we'd get through a full draft, this is the next best option.

You'd chose 1 player from each grouping. In the case of forward 6 and defense 4, you can write in any player NOT in one of the other groups.

So everyone would field a team of 12, with some overlap in players.

The twist being, as teams are eliminated, you'll lose players. So while Ovechkin, Crosby, or Malkin will no doubt be important, picking the right guy in group 3 could make or break your team. If you take Ovechkin, and the Caps are out in round one, you are hurting.

Welcome to Google Docs

Hmm...tried to do this, but I can't seem to get access to the spreadsheets.

The team one seems pretty straightforward, so I will put it here. I would like to do the player one, but without the spreadsheet access, I can't see what the groupings looks like.

Team (16 to 1)

16 Wings
15 Sharks
14 Devils
13 Pens
12 Caps
11 Bruins
10 Hawks
9 Flyers
8 Ducks
7 Nucks
6 Flames
5 Blues
4 Bluejackets
3 Canes
2 Rangers
1 Les Habitents

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:59 PM   #1958
Travis
Pro Rookie

Sportsnet is reporting that MacT has stepped down as coach of the Oilers. Tambellini has a press conference scheduled to start pretty soon so it should be confirmed (if true) in pretty short order.

If so, the question begging to be asked is whether or not the next coach is another member of the club (Buchberger/Huddy/etc) or if Tambellini is free to bring in somebody from the outside.

Please please please let it be the latter.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:08 PM   #1959
Travis
Pro Rookie

Confirmed by Tambellini, Craig MacTavish is now officially an ex Oilers head coach.

Hallelujah.

Now please don't name Buchberger the replacement.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:38 PM   #1960
bbor
Pro Starter

New coach of the Oilers is Petr Klima!

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:45 PM   #1961
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
New coach of the Oilers is Petr Klima!

That would be awesome.

DeTox's girlfriend's little brother plays on a team coached by Klima. Maybe Tambellini should talk to DeTox's girlfriend's little brother to see how he is.

Besides, who wouldn't want this guy as their headcoach?

Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 04-15-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:47 PM   #1962
Travis
Pro Rookie

Count me in for that. Seriously, I'd take him over Buchberger.

Sigh.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:47 PM   #1963
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
That would be awesome.

DeTox's girlfriend's little brother plays on a team coached by Klima. Maybe Tambellini should talk to DeTox's girlfriend's little brother to see how he is.

Besides, who wouldn't want this guy as their headcoach?

He does yell in Czech a lot when he is mad at ref's.

I liken him to the Hawks coach in the Mighty Ducks. I am almost positive I've seen him pop his collar on his jacket a few times as well.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:49 PM   #1964
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I am almost positive I've seen him pop his collar on his jacket a few times as well.

If you had hair like that, wouldn't you?
Old 04-15-2009, 02:51 PM   #1965
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
If you had hair like that, wouldn't you?

If I had hair like that I wouldn't be on FOFC so much, I'd be on random women so much.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:57 PM   #1966
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
If I had hair like that I wouldn't be on FOFC so much, I'd be on random women so much.

That's true. That's a good point. You'd be missed.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:59 PM   #1967
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

It's hockey time.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:58 PM   #1968
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Good game so far, I hate seeing Demitra in a Vancouver jersey though.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:00 PM   #1969
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Good game so far, I hate seeing Demitra in a Vancouver jersey though.

Ahem .. Playoff thread, Todd. We don't want those non playoff fans having any of this fun.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:54 PM   #1970
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ahem .. Playoff thread, Todd. We don't want those non playoff fans having any of this fun.

Once we get done with Vancouver, we will be coming for yo ass!