Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-07-2003, 03:03 AM   #1
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

It's Here! The Thread For the 2003-04 NHL Regular Season!

Hey puckheads,

I thought it was time to start a new and improved great thread for hockey.

Yes, the old playoff thread is like Heaven on Earth, but, let's face it, the title about last year's playoffs is a little done now, right?

We have shown the ability to keep a thread going and interesting for months on end, even during the slow offseason, it was rarely off the front page for more than a day before we found something else to talk about.

So I figure it's time to have a new hockey thread, where we will talk about all things hokcey for the regular season. What do you all think of that?

I guess you'll vote by your posting. If this one dies, then so be it. But I hope not. Let's make nonhockey fans on this forum curse us once more!

I'm going to post my predictions here in a little bit. I will also send a call out for off-the-cuff team updates from you fans, and also throw out some interesting hockey talk conversations.

But at least here the thread is started. And the season begins tomorrow night! Ducks and Stars! And some other games.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 03:04 AM   #2
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

First off, before I get down to business, I wanted to take another moment to send my prayers to the Snyder family for the loss of a guy, by all accounts, appeared to be a fine, young man. And also my prayers for Dany Heatley and his family for the hell he is and will be going through, probably for the rest of his life.

My moment of silence.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:46 AM   #3
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

All right, here goes. My predictions for this season:

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Northeast

1. Ottawa
2. Boston
3. Toronto
4. Buffalo
5. Montreal

Comment: Ottawa has the look of a juggernaut. They might win the President's Trophy again. After that, positioning in this division should be brutal. I think the return of Samsanov and the acquisition of a real goalie in Potvin moves the Bruins past the relatively stagnant Leafs, who need serious blueline help. Still, Sundin-Mogilny-Nolan are all elite scorers who should keep them pretty well ahead of Buffalo and Montreal.

Atlantic

1. Philadelphia
2. New Jersey
3. NY Rangers
4. NY Islanders
5. Pittsburgh

Comment: I know Hitchcock has a lot of detractors, but I think he is a fine vet coach who knows how to win. I think he has the most talent in this division, and he gets past the Devils. The defending Cup champs are a little older now, although certainly not in Red Wings range. I see them needing more offense to get past Philly. Sather is a dumbass, but he's a good coach, so I think the Rangers have a good shot at third. The Isles will find a way to blow it, and the Penguins just plain suck.

Southeast

1. Florida
2. Washington
3. Tampa Bay
4. Carolina
5. Atlanta

Comment: I think it's time for the other Florida team to move up, although no one in this division is going to be lighting up the rest of the NHL. Florida has a lot of good, young talent, Keenan is a vet coach (even if he's egomaniac, Nazi-control freak asshole), and Luongo is gonna have a breakout year. Washington will realize some of its talent in the forward ranks, but fall behind because of blueline problems. The Lightning become the third straight Southeast Division champ to miss the playoffs the next year, because they miss Prospal, they are too young, and the blueline is too soft. Carolina is too old and slow. Atlanta's season is sadly destroyed by the Heatley-Snyder tragedy and the loss of their premier top line talent.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Northeast

1. Detroit
2. St. Louis
3. Columbus
4. Nashville
5. Chicago

Comment: Detroit runs away with this early, even with a rusty Hasek. The Blues will remain respectable, but on an island by themselves. The Jackets will surprise and contend for a playoff spot, but I see the Predators finishing a touch off, and the Hawks nowhere in sight.

Pacific

1. Dallas
2. Anaheim
3. Los Angeles
4. Phoenix
5. San Jose

Comment: The Ducks will keep it close for a good length of the season, but eventually the Stars will pull away and win this division handily (again). The Kings will sneak up on the Ducks, and the two will end up fighting for second. Phoneix will look respectable with Burke, but eventually fall apart. San Jose is looking at a long, long season, even if Nabokov bounces back.

Northwest

1. Colorado
2. Vancouver
3. Edmonton
4. Minnesota
5. Calgary

Comment: Yes, Colorado will have blueline depth problems and Aebischer remains a question mark. But they have too muchs coring not to win this division. The Canucks will be with them most of the way. I see the Wild falling off a bit, and Edmonton will take advantage. Calgary will continue to struggle, even with some bounce back play from Iginla and Conroy.

THE PLAYOFFS

East Seeds

1. Ottawa
2. Philadelphia
3. Florida
4. New Jersey
5. Boston
6. Toronto
7. NY Rangers
8. Washington

West Seeds

1. Dallas
2. Detroit
3. Colorado
4. Vancouver
5. Anaheim
6. St. Louis
7. Los Angeles
8. Edmonton

First Round

Ottawa over Washington
Rangers over Philadelphia
Toronto over Florida
New Jersey over Boston

Dallas over Edmonton
Detroit over Los Angeles
Colorado over St. Louis
Anaheim over Vancouver

Conference Semifinals

Ottawa over Rangers
New Jersey over Toronto

Dallas over Anaheim
Colorado over Detroit

Conference Finals

Ottawa over New Jersey
Dallas over Colorado

2003-04 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS: OTTAWA over Dallas

Major Awards

Hart: Mike Modano, Stars
Norris: Niklas Lidstrom, Wings
Vezina: Marty Turco, Stars
Calder: Jason Spezza, Senators (if he's eligible); Nathan Horton, Panthers, otherwise
Conn Smythe: Marian Hossa, Senators
Selke: Sergei Fedorov, Ducks
Adams: Glen Sather, Rangers

CR

Old 10-07-2003, 03:54 AM   #4
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

All right, here's something I want to throw out there. If you are so inclined, answer this...

Which are the top five lines in hockey?

My top five:

1. Tanguay-Forsberg-Hejduk
2. Naslund-Morrison-Bertuzzi
3. Samsanov-Thornton-Murray
4. Deadmarsh-Allison-Palffy
5. Kariya-Sakic-Selanne

CR

Old 10-07-2003, 03:55 AM   #5
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I'll try to get up a Ducks report Tuedsay night, with lines, defensive pairings, how things are going for the team right now, and so forth.

CR

Old 10-07-2003, 04:20 AM   #6
SackAttack
Head Coach

Okay, I'm as big a hockey fan as the next guy, but didn't we just ditch the 2000+ post hockey thread, like, two weeks ago?

Wouldn't it be better, really, to just sticky a damn hockey thread for year-round use?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 04:31 AM   #7
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

We never ditched it actually. I see it come up once every other day.

This is an attempt to start a new such thread that is focused ont he current regular season.

Once the playoffs come around in the spring, of course, we'll all go nuts and return to a playoff thread.

Come on, Sack, get in the spirit of things!

CR

Old 10-07-2003, 07:18 AM   #8
cincyreds
High School Varsity

GO STARS GO!!

GO STARS GO!!

GO STARS GO!!

GO STARS GO!!
Old 10-07-2003, 09:52 AM   #9
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Why do we need just one hockey thread? If this is going to be the case, let's get just one damn political thread where people just scream at each other "stupid liberals" and "stupid conservatives."

That said, even with Fedorov, I don't see how the Ducks are going to play nearly as well as they did in the playoffs last year. I wouldn't be surprised if they miss the playoffs, although it's easy for me to say that before the season even starts.

Anyway, go Devils!
Old 10-07-2003, 10:39 AM   #10
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

We don't need just one hockey thread, Pumpy. Even when the playoff thread was at its height, we still had other threads, too, about singular issues. I would suspect that will continue.

I am merely tossing out a thread for us to post our regular season meanderings as this thing goes on, much as we did with the playoff thread.

As for the Ducks, I'll get more into them tonight. But the assumption seems to be that they are the Canes, Part II. While certainly in the tough Western Conference, there is no way you can be confident to get a playoff spot (short of being one of the big three, I suppose), this impression I am getting from others thatthe Ducks are somehow worse or a fluke are continuing to ignore their play in the second half and the general talent upgrade they have on their current roster. I have also been watching the team in preseason, and I tell you, there is definitely more to this team than people are giving them credit for (even now).

Also, I only predicted them fifth, which is really not that far a cry from the seventh they finished last season.

CR

Old 10-07-2003, 10:46 AM   #11
vtbub
College Starter

Go Habs.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 10:49 AM   #12
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I demand that the old thread be kept alive. If it was good enough for the entire playoffs and off-season, it's good enough for the regular season too. Plus, it annoys all the non-hockey fans.

Back on topic... I'm pretty sure Spezza does not qualify for the Calder this year.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 11:15 AM   #13
JeeberD
General Manager

GO OILERS!!!!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 10-07-2003 at 11:59 AM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 11:29 AM   #14
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief Rum
All right, here's something I want to throw out there. If you are so inclined, answer this...

Which are the top five lines in hockey?

My top five:

1. Tanguay-Forsberg-Hejduk
2. Naslund-Morrison-Bertuzzi
3. Samsanov-Thornton-Murray
4. Deadmarsh-Allison-Palffy
5. Kariya-Sakic-Selanne

CR

Personally.....i like Naslund-Morrison-Bertuzzi

Just because it has....speed.....Strenth...and finesse.

Also these guys can play D and kill penalties if you needed them too.I would say they have to be the most complete line on this list.

having said this.....1 line cannot carry a team...and if the Canucks don't get any secondary scoring they are gonna be in an @ssload of trouble this season.I also think they will have some controvery in goal...where Hedberg will be pushing Cloutier for the starters job.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 12:07 PM   #15
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I will support any hockey thread, old or new. Though I agree with M-Leaf, the annoyance factor of the old thread is quite enjoyable.

Quick thoughts as it's late, I'm still at work, and have a shit-load to do.

Vancouver is in trouble if they dont' get another line rolling. The top line is amazing, but they need someone, like The Sedin Twin, to start producing consistently. I agree Hedberg will push Cloutier. I have never been afraid of Cloutier as a goalie. He's good, but not all that mentally tough, and I thought this even before the 2002 series against Detroit (see: Lidstrom's 50 footer).

The Wings. Well, the Wings looked like poo in the pre-season. Disorganized. Poor defensive coverage. Less-than-stellar goaltending. The youngsters have played well though (Hulder, Zetterbeg, and Datsyuk). The Wings have arguably the most talented blue-line in the NHL with Lidstrom, Hatcher, Chelios, Schneider, Fischer, and Wooley. They have to get it together back there. They should. Hopefully Hasek will knock some of the rust off as well. As for scoring, the kids will have to carry the load it seems. Shanahan is still good for 30, Hull should be too *fingers crossed*. Yzerman wont play much at all. Whitney could provide a little spark. But the lack of Fedorov's speed and finese will be very, very evident.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 12:41 PM   #16
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I think the Wings are definitely going to struggle this year. It would not surprise me to see Hasek fizzle and, with the team struggling, quit (again) by Christmas.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:06 PM   #17
Easy Mac

Quote:
Atlanta's season is sadly destroyed by the Heatley-Snyder tragedy and the loss of their premier top line talent.

I wouldn't say its over, this could be something for the team to rally around and play for.

I know at my college last year, the soccer team lost a player in a car accident (and another was in a coma for a few months), then went over 1000 minutes without allowing another goal. They finally lost in the round of 8 in the NCAA tournament. Not really the same thing, but sometimes teams can play better. But definitely not a situation you ever want to be in.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 01:10 PM   #18
Sublime
High School JV

I think Big Joe Thornton could see some hardware this year, however it won't translate into the B's getting out of the first round of the playoffs this year.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:12 PM   #19
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

The Isles -should- be a better team this year. All our players are healthy. The only problem is we don't have a winger for Yashin. But if he makes do with Czerkawski and Kvasha, we have pretty solid 2nd and 3rd, and even 4th lines.

Our defense, if we're healthy, is among the 5 best in the league, no question about it whatsoever. But the whole "healthy" thing is important. Everyone talks about how how great Aucoin is playing that many minutes, but it's only great if he doesn't get hurt.

If the Isles avoid the injury bug, we should compete with Philly and the Rag$ for 2nd place in the Atlantic. If not, we'll be hitting the links.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:25 PM   #20
Blade
College Prospect

Well, once again I am heading into a hockey season with high hopes for the Oilers. To be honest, I think they will finally be able to start to rise this year. Our young talent is maturing, and I think this will be a break-out season from Hemsky. If Radek Dvorak can maintain the form he was beginning to show before he got injured last year, he can take some pressure off of losing Carter's goal production.

That said, there are always a lot of questions for the Oilers every year. This year, some are:

1. Mike Comrie: if he gets resigned, will he suffer from not being at training camp.? If we trade him, will we get some talent back?
2. Brad Isbister: he is going to get more time with the top line, and that will hopefully allow him to finally reach some of the potential that has been talked about for year. If so, I think he will be a tremendous power forward.
3. Tommy Salo: let's face it, he looked plain bad at times last year. We need him to re-emerge as a player we can count on for a win when we need it most.

We have a lot of talent ready to break-out...the question is, like the past few years, are they actually going to break-out or become unfulfilled potential?

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 01:28 PM   #21
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
2. Brad Isbister: he is going to get more time with the top line, and that will hopefully allow him to finally reach some of the potential that has been talked about for year. If so, I think he will be a tremendous power forward.

So naive...

Old 10-07-2003, 01:38 PM   #22
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Oilers Preview

Things are not great in Oil Town. Comrie wants out and as far as this Oiler fan is concerned, he can go. After hurting his thumb last year, he was invisible on most nights, notable on others only for his lack of playmaking. Combined with the defection of Todd Marchant, the Oilers find themselves dreadfully short down the middle. Enter Ryan Smyth and Mike York. Both will be centering lines at the beginning of the season (although both are questionable with injuries). York is a center converted to winger converted back to center, so he should do ok. Smyth...I don't know. Smyth's strength is as a Power forward. Sure, he's not as intimidating as Bertuzzi or as skilled as Shanahan, but that's still his role on this team. Moving him to center takes him off the boards where he is so damn effective. But what do I know, Craig MacTavish is the smartest man in hockey, apparently.

All the buzz so far this season centers around the return of the RPM line (Reasoner, Pisani, Moreau for those who wonder where they get this stupid names). When the coaching staff is getting excited about the checking 3rd line, you know we're in trouble.

Key Words at camp this season: "Improved Speed and Size". Really every year we hear about how the team has improved it's speed. The Oilers have always relied on speed, and it's true that they continue to get faster with Hemsky, Isbister, Torres. However, speed sure hasn't got us past the 1st round of the playoffs for the last 5, 6, 7 or 8 years (I've lost count). Size is another matter, of course, and yes they are bigger. And they are going to have to be, since they really have no solid #1 line, they are going to have to grind for goals every night.

Defense is solid despite the glitch last year. Semenov and Bergeron will improve with another season under their belt, and Smith, Cross, Brewer, Staios, and Ferguson make one of the better defensive defense in the league. Other than Brewer, none of them are superstars, but all provide solid 100% play every shift.

Goaltending on the other hand is worrisome. Salo lost his shine with a dreadful performance last season, although a lot of the blame can be put on poor defensive play. Since the Oilers won't be scoring this year, a lot of nights are going to be up to him to win. Ty Conklin isn't the next coming as some people would have you believe, although he is a solid rookie goaltender. He won't see too much time in the nets unless Salo's form slips to last seasons lows, but he should learn enough to be considered a starter for the club in the next 2-3 years.

Special teams were dreadful last year. Want the reason why? Mike Comrie with a damaged thumb and afraid to hold the stick, and Mike York with only one good wrist who couldn't shoot, played on the majority of powerplay opportunities. That's good coaching. The solution? Craig Simpson. Yes Simpson was hired to coach the powerplay to the Oilers. Simpson, who's career was standing in front of the net and letting Messier or Anderson bank shots in off his ass. Ok, ok, I'm being a little harsh on Craig, but he can't fix what the powerplay truly lacks...and that's talent.

Oh, and one of the bright spots last year, Ales Hemsky, won't be getting 25-30 mins ice time this year according to the coaching staff. They're going to bring him along slowly. WTF? Look for that to change when the coaching staff realizes they can't score without him on the ice. That and Comrie either getting re-signed quickly or traded quickly.

General consensus: Oilers finish out of the playoffs in the West
Klayman's expert analysis: 8th in the West, 1st round loss to Colorado/Detroit/Dallas/Vancouver.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 01:42 PM   #23
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sublime
I think Big Joe Thornton could see some hardware this year, however it won't translate into the B's getting out of the first round of the playoffs this year.

I believe that as well. He wasn't far off last year.

and then we'll need to update the "how many Hart Trophy winners has Paul Coffey played with" question.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:23 PM   #24
klayman
College Benchwarmer

I'll let Karim do a full writeup for the Flames if he is so inclined.

Quick Flames Synopsis:

As go Jerome, there go the Flames. Even with Iggy back to 110% the Flames are still going to suffer from goal drought. The departure of team cancer Chris Drury is only positive if Reinprecht and Warrener are not disappointing. Reinprecht looks good, Oleg Saprykin has made the club, and could provide some offensive spark, and great things are thought of rookie Chuck Kobasew. Is it enough to improve on their 27th place 186 goals for from last season? I would optimistically say yes, realistically say no.

The addition of Warrener helps the very young defensive core, but the absence of veteran blueliner Bob Bougher could lead to a lack of leadership on the blueline. Still, add another year to the kids, and they are looking better and better all the time.

Roman Turek is the number one goaltender, despite his inconsistency. Turek's Calgary career consists of playing brilliantly and then letting in awful goals. Which one is the real Roman? Hard to say, but if he plays like he has shown he can, and does it for 40 to 50 games during the season, the Flames will surprise a lot of people this year.

Can they make up the 17 points that kept them out of the playoffs for a league leading 7th straight year? Very Doubtful.

General Consensus: 11th in the West
Klayman's Expert analysis: I'd like to say 9th, but the Oiler fan in me says 10th in the West.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:35 PM   #25
bbor
Pro Starter

Is Hemsky all he has been cracked up to be?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:49 PM   #26
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor

Short answer: yes

Long answer: Maybe. We tend to highly over-evaluate our rookies in Edmonton. I remember when Joe Hulbig was the next coming of Mark Messier. There is little doubt that Hemsky has talent though, and after watching him play last season I can honestly say that he is one of the most exciting wingers in the league. Does that lead to production? Not necessarily. Last season he tried to do too much, be too fancy at times. Rookie mistakes, and as he matures and learns what he can do and can't do, he'll become a more productive player. If I was the coach, I'd put him on the top line and let him learn, damn to mistakes and confidence. In two years, he'd be one of the premier wingers in the league. But I'm not the coach sadly, (since if I was we would have won some Stanley cups in the last couple of years, if EHM is any indication ) so we'll have to wait and see. All indicators point to yes, however, and that's from unbiased opinions (which I obviously don't have).
Old 10-07-2003, 02:59 PM   #27
henry296
College Starter

Penguins Preview:

If Lemiuex, Straka and Morozov stay healthy and
if Marc-Andre Fleury stands on his head and
if Olczyk motivates the players to buy into a sytem then

That is a lot of big Ifs and even then maybe with 10 points of the playoffs.

Just not enough depth although that first unit is among the Top 10 in the leauge, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines are very weak and the defense has had no major upgrades to one of the worst in the NHL last year. Here's hoping for a new CBA and new arena.

Todd
Old 10-07-2003, 04:35 PM   #28
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Let's hope he is. I picked him up in a fantasy league with my last pick. I am hoping it pays off.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:08 PM   #29
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

You guys are great, you got me into hockey again... Habs still suck That's something I had not done since about 1995, when you know who left Quebec City But oh My God, the Habs suck Ever since I signed up for that fantasy hockey league of ours and attended the draft, I've been paying attention to hockey highlights and news. No offense, no defense, they just plain suck I've been visiting the hockey sections of ESPN, CBS Sportsline, etc...

Anybody got good links to hockey sites they want to share?

There was some other thing I wanted to say, but I'm forgetting what... Oh yeah, THE HABS WILL SUCK THIS YEAR, just like they have for the last oh so many years. Thank you Réjean Houle for screwing that team real good... Let's hope Bob Gainey knows what he's doing...

FM
Old 10-07-2003, 07:57 PM   #30
bbor
Pro Starter

Frogger.....Habs may surprise and get in for the 8th play-off spot if their tender puts on a show like he did 2 years ago.The way i see it is the Habs are too small,and their star player (Koivu) cannot stay healthy.They are attempting to get bigger(TAking Steve Begin in the waiver draft shows that)But can they keep Koivu healthy?

Last edited by bbor : 10-07-2003 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:17 PM   #31
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Jeeber, you just reminded me that I owe you one asskicking. And add another to the list.

I miss Cards.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 09:01 PM   #32
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Frogger.....Habs may surprise and get in for the 8th play-off spot if their tender puts on a show like he did 2 years ago.The way i see it is the Habs are too small,and their star player (Koivu) cannot stay healthy.They are attempting to get bigger(TAking Steve Begin in the waiver draft shows that)But can they keep Koivu healthy?

You may be right, but every year they are never more than a squeeze in for the 8th spot. Maybe Gainey can right the ship and make thema bit better by next year, but this year will be amazingly tough. GK Theodore needs a good season after going through his father's legal problems (accused of illegal lending of money, shylock style, at the Montreal Casino, papers were almost saying he had something to do with it) and the Habs really need him because their wins will keep on coming on the kind of 2-0, 2-1 nights, they can't have their keeper let 4 or 5 in regularly...

BTW, I went back to check Koivu's stats from last year and was surprised to see he played 82 games last season...

FM
Old 10-08-2003, 12:08 AM   #33
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Glad to see this thread is moving a little.

sachmo, what happened to Cards? I wouldn't be happy at all to see him gone either. I did do a search and find that his last post was on August 11. There weren't any posts in his last few to indicate any expected leave of absence.

I hope he's just been busy or staying away for some reason and that he will return.

CR

Old 10-08-2003, 12:30 AM   #34
bbor
Pro Starter

Primelord used to also be a regular hockey fool too i believe...:sigh:...we are losing all our hockey roots.

Old 10-08-2003, 01:24 AM   #35
Karim
College Starter

Just some quick thoughts on the Flames...

Sutter has molded the team so every game is going to be a dogfight. We still don't have much offensive talent, but there are no shrimps on the team and they'll work hard or be out of the lineup. No longer will the Flames be an easy two points.

That being said, everyone will have to increase their goal scoring by at least 5 goals. A lot is expected of Saprykin and Kobasew. Chuckie showed a lot in preseason, Oleg didn't. It's probably going to be goal-scoring by committee.

The defence is solid but still lacks a proven PP QB, although Leopold is miles ahead of where he was last year. Lydman is once again going to have heavy expectations.

Turek will have to be consistent but there's also big question marks in back-up. McLellan had an awful camp while a couple of kids (Sabourin and Krahn) did well. Turek can't play every game.

I still think we're on the outside looking in, but I think we have the depth, toughness and coaching to be a pain in the ass every night. We haven't had that kind of competitiveness in a long time.

I'm going to the home opener on Saturday and can't wait.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 01:44 AM   #36
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

I guess I'll step in for the Thrashers too...

I'm going to the opener on Thursday (can't really beat $8 for an NHL game) and am curious what I'll see. Kovalchuk has to make the best out of the situation, as this is his chance to become the player that Heatley could have been. He has just as much talent - it's just a question of whether or not he'll step up.

Their defense is obviously their weakness. If it has been improved, the Thrashers will win some games.

The playoffs are out of the question I think, but they should be able to avoid the cellar of the Southeast.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:14 AM   #37
SuburbanPimp
Mascot

Alright, maybe some people are gonna hate me.

I can't get excited about the NHL this year.

You gotta understand, I'm a Capitals fan. After two years of Jagr doing nothing, I can't get pumped up. Our veterans are not getting any younger, and it seems like management does not want to go out and get some young talent. Throw in the fact that the Redskins are doing well this year (i say "well" when compared to previous years), and I just can't get into it.

I'm more eager for Maryland basketball to start up than this.

Sorry.

Opening Acts: Ben McDonald's Gopher Ball Band, The Disabled List (feat. David Segui & Glenn Davis), The CAL-VINE! Tribute Band, plus a cast of dozens!!

FINAL RECORD: 78-84. I think we're getting there. Now, it's time to get some pitching over the winter.

FEAR MIGGY & THE ORIOLE IN 2005, BABY!!

Last edited by SuburbanPimp : 10-08-2003 at 02:15 AM.
SuburbanPimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 02:32 AM   #38
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by SuburbanPimp
I can't get excited about the NHL this year.

You gotta understand, I'm a Capitals fan.

If I was a Capitals fan I'd be more interested in Maryland basketball as well
Old 10-08-2003, 02:36 AM   #39
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by sachmo71
Jeeber, you just reminded me that I owe you one asskicking. And add another to the list.

I thought it was just a punch in the nose? Guess I'm moving up in the world...

Old 10-08-2003, 11:14 AM   #40
bbor
Pro Starter

8 bux for an NHL game??!!!! Can't even buy popcorn for 8 bux at a Leaf game

BTW.....The Capitals will have the first coach fired this season

Old 10-08-2003, 11:48 AM   #41
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Yea', it's $10 normally (for the upper deck seats), but as a student it's only $8. $10 is still a lot cheaper than many college teams charge, even for students. So it really is a good deal.

I could go to all the Thrasher home games for around $300. At most other arenas, even if I sat in the cheapest seats, that'd buy about 10 games.

It's a damn good deal...
Old 10-08-2003, 11:49 AM   #42
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

the cheap seats for our AHL team are $11 each.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:59 AM   #43
JeeberD
General Manager

Off topic, but funny (or actually rather sad):

Last week my sister took her three year old daughter to her first hockey game when the Red Wings were in town to play the Stars. Now, my sister is a HUGE Stars fan and just as huge a Red Wings hater.

Well, during the first intermission my sister asked my niece if she was enjoying the game. Her reply?

"Yeah. I like the red guys."

Damn near made my sister start crying at the loss of her daughter's innocence...

Old 10-08-2003, 12:31 PM   #44
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD

Last week my sister took her three year old daughter to her first hockey game when the Red Wings were in town to play the Stars. Now, my sister is a HUGE Stars fan and just as huge a Red Wings hater.

Well, during the first intermission my sister asked my niece if she was enjoying the game. Her reply?

Damn near made my sister start crying at the loss of her daughter's innocence...

Yay for Niece of JeeberD!! Obviously (this cannot be from parenting) she knows the difference between good and (semi) evil at such an early age. Quite a bright, promising young girl you've got that JD. Let's just hope she keeps liking "the red guys" and is able to overcome her mother's potentially Vader-like influence over her daughter.

Hate the Red Wings? Hate the Red Wings?? How is this possible. I just don't understand people sometimes.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:33 PM   #45
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I would like to point out that as excited I am to see the NHL season get on its way, for the second and 1/4 times I will be forced to "watch" all of my beloved Wings' gamesvia a delayed internet radio webcast.

Woe is H_B....

The only bright-side is that when I go home for Christmas I already have tickets lined up for one game. That will be nice. H_B deserves that.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:57 PM   #46
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Lets go........

The BEST defense in the league, btw.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 10-08-2003 at 12:58 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 12:58 PM   #47
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Curious guys,
Is the WHA restarting? WHen, where, who, what is the plan of the league
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 01:17 PM   #48
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

My annual hockey post:

Uh go Stars.. Marty Turco has a slick mask.

All other questions and opinions must be directed to sachmo my official spokesman.
HornedFrog Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 02:11 PM   #49
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD

"According to Jim" had that type of a thing the other night. The kid liked his small Packers football, but not the Bears football Jim wanted him to play with. Dumb show but it entertained me for a half hour before I left the house.

As for hockey. . . Go Avs. Then don't do what baseball did. If you're going to strike, fix the damned problems in the game. The economics aren't as bad or as good as they are made out to be. Put a cap and a minimum salary base and get it over with. Whatever else they need to fix, get it fixed. Don't you dare strike for 6 months to a year and then come back with everything the way it was.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 04:34 PM   #50
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Honolulu_Blue

Hate the Red Wings? Hate the Red Wings?? How is this possible. I just don't understand people sometimes.

I liked the Wings back in the early to mid 80's when they sucked. Does that make me good or evil?