Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-08-2004, 08:34 PM   #451
bbor
Pro Starter

Bigger ice surface.It really is the most unobtrusive change that can be made.IMHO>

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 08:34 PM   #452
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I say get rid of the rule against the 2-line pass...
Old 02-08-2004, 08:47 PM   #453
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I have no problem with bigger nets, but if you want to get rid of the "clutching and grabbing", get rid of it. I'll bet it wouldn't take too long at all.

While we're on the subject, I think they should make the powerplay last the full 2 minutes. It would be an easy way to chip in 40-50 more goals per year.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 08:53 PM   #454
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
While we're on the subject, I think they should make the powerplay last the full 2 minutes. It would be an easy way to chip in 40-50 more goals per year.

I suspect this would lead to more diving, and possibly even less penalties called, as refs are already loathe to call penalties in certain situations.

but, more importantly, this might inflate the scores, but it wont make the games that much more exciting for me. The powerplay isn't usually the most exciting part of hockey.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:49 PM   #455
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

gotta love that Bobby Clarke guy...

gives up a good prospect and two picks to get Mike Comrie...and trades him 2 months later for Sean Burke. Why did he need to trade for Sean Burke? Because he'd already run Brian Boucher and Roman Checmanek out of town to go with Robert Esche and Jeff Hackett (who retired today).

then he trades Eric Weinrich to St Louis for a draft pick. and why did he trade Weinrich? because he has a glut of defensemen...this coming just 2 weeks after the knee-jerk reaction trade of Justin Williams for Danny Markov because they were desperate for defensemen.

Do Flyers fans think this man is sane? I mean, lately he's been making Mike Milbury look like Pierre Lacroix
Old 02-09-2004, 11:02 PM   #456
bbor
Pro Starter

Well...at least Clarke finally fixed the problem correctly by getting Burke...instead of stop gaping it again.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:16 PM   #457
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Well...at least Clarke finally fixed the problem correctly by getting Burke...instead of stop gaping it again.

he's 37. how permanent of a fix do you think he is?

I've never been a big Burke fan - he's only had 4 winning seasons in his career, and in two of those he played in 13 and 22 games respectively. I think Phoenix did extremely well to get Comrie for him.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:31 AM   #458
bbor
Pro Starter

I like Burke a hell of a lot more than i liked Esche or Hackett.I think Comrie was a steep price to pay,but really,what other choice did he have?Mind you...he painted himself into this corner so he hasno one else to blame but himself.He could have had Cujo or Richter a few years ago,but he cheaped out.

Old 02-10-2004, 12:37 AM   #459
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

bah the NHL blows. well that is until the playoffs, cause thats when i start watchin
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 12:57 AM   #460
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr
bah the NHL blows. well that is until the playoffs, cause thats when i start watchin

Great. Thanks for coming out.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 12:58 AM   #461
bbor
Pro Starter

LOL

Old 02-10-2004, 12:58 AM   #462
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

anytime!!! oh, as long as its playoffs
Old 02-10-2004, 01:43 AM   #463
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I totally missed this Danny Markov trade. Freakin' Belgium. Burke is definitely an upgrade, especially given Jeff "Scottie" Hackett's retirement. Comrie didn't seem to mesh in Philly. Though he had sat out for a while, so I am sure he would come around. Philly also got two prospects, they I have no idea who they are or what type of potential they have.

At least Burke is traded. The "where will Sean Burke go" stories have been going on and on and on for the last two or three years. I'm glad it's done.
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 02:40 AM   #464
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr

*grabs leather pouch full of pingpong balls*

LIGHTNING BOLT!
LIGHTNING BOLT!
LIGHTNING BOLT!
sleep!
LIGHTNING BOLT!
LIGHTNING BOLT!
LIGHTNING BOLT!
Old 02-10-2004, 02:46 AM   #465
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

lmao. hahahaha sleep
Old 02-10-2004, 08:32 AM   #466
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Yikes.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:01 AM   #467
klayman
College Benchwarmer

You can't cast that many lightning bolts!
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 09:31 AM   #468
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
You can't cast that many lightning bolts!

I have a wand. I have a wand of lightning bolts with unlimited charges. No casting time. Just simply point and...

LIGHTNING BOLT!
LIGHTNING BOLT!
LIGHTNING BOLT!
Old 02-10-2004, 09:37 AM   #469
klayman
College Benchwarmer

oh...ok then. carry on.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:54 AM   #470
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
oh...ok then. carry on.

Will do.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:16 PM   #471
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Hasek's out for the season.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 03:02 PM   #472
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Hasek's out for the season.

You know what, this may be a blessing in disguise. You know that as the playoffs would draw closer, there would be another round of discussion/debate over who should be playing in net, and after every loss, you will hear arguments against the losing goalie, regardless of the situation. Cujo will be just as good if not better than Hasek would have been if he had come back from injury; lets not forget he was just beginning to get back to his playing form when he went down with the injury. It would take him a while to get back into shape and they still would be giving minutes to Cujo to keep him sharp just in case. At least now the situation is stabilized and Cujo and Legace will know where they stand heading into April.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 05:06 PM   #473
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
Hmm... no posts about NHL rule changes?

- Goalies can no longer handle the puck behind the back-end red line (behind the net);

- The width of goalie pads will be reduced to 10 inches from the current limit of 12 inches; also, the league's head office will act as a clearing house for goalie's equipment before they can wear it;

- The nets will be brought back to 10 feet from the back boards from the current 13 feet;

- The tag-up offsides will be brought back;

- AHL will try out three points being awarded for a victory in regulation time with NHL possibly going to that format in 2005-06 if it works well in the minors; that would also include two points for an overtime win, it may also include two points for a penalty shootout win.
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 05:12 PM   #474
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj
Goalies can no longer handle the puck behind the back-end red line (behind the net);

my beloved brodeur will continue to be a fantastic goalie...but this would severely hurt his game.

therefore, i am opposed to it.

just make the damn rink bigger. stop shrinking everything else.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 06:10 PM   #475
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Goalies can no longer handle the puck behind the back-end red line (behind the net);

My first reaction is that this is dumb...it's my second and third reaction as well. So, essentially, we want to encourage the dump and chase?

Quote:
The width of goalie pads will be reduced to 10 inches from the current limit of 12 inches; also, the league's head office will act as a clearing house for goalie's equipment before they can wear it;

definitely a good idea. I swear, Dwayne Roloson looked like a tank at the all-star game. I still have to chuckle that Patrick Roy recommended this idea...

Quote:
The nets will be brought back to 10 feet from the back boards from the current 13 feet

moving the nets up never had the impact they thought it would, and now that Gretzky's retiring and Forsberg's days are numbered, no one needs that space back there anyway.

Quote:
The tag-up offsides will be brought back;

I don't know what this is - can someone fill me in?

Quote:
- AHL will try out three points being awarded for a victory in regulation time with NHL possibly going to that format in 2005-06 if it works well in the minors; that would also include two points for an overtime win, it may also include two points for a penalty shootout win

no, please no. this is a TERRIBLE idea. I wish they'd stop fucking around with the point system. The stupid point for overtime losses is dumb enough. I don't even want to think about a shootout.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:50 PM   #476
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger

I don't know what this is - can someone fill me in?

A delayed offside where if the offensive team retreats from the zone, the offside is cancelled and they can go back in to forecheck.

Last edited by klayman : 02-10-2004 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:59 PM   #477
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Do Flyers fans think this man is sane?

No, most definitely not. We gave up on that issue a long time ago. Now it's kind of a science experiment about the effects of insane people running a hockey team, except we're the experimental group, not the control group.

Mike Comrie was obviously unsuited to play in Philadelphia. The question is not so much why did we trade him to Phoenix, but why did we trade for him in the first place? (That Clarkie is obsessed with centers is, while correct, not a valid answer. You must be more creative than that.)

And also, we were really hurting for future 5th round draft picks, which is why we traded Weinrich. That should be obvious.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 07:46 PM   #478
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My first reaction is that this is dumb...it's my second and third reaction as well. So, essentially, we want to encourage the dump and chase?

I'd just like them to put goalies on par with everyone else outside the crease. If they're inside the crease, they're still the protected goalie and you shouldn't mess with them. But if they want to go chasing the puck down, they're fair game. If you're the keeper and you're out far enough that you have to worry about being taken down and not being able to get back, then you probably shouldn't go out that far. I'm sure you'll get your ass beaten in on the other side of the ice with the refs conveniently not watching after you take out the goalie which will cut down on the cheap shots but this should cut out on the egregious net leaving.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 07:57 PM   #479
bbor
Pro Starter

I think goalies should still be alowed to handle the puck...i just don't think they should be able to make a forward pass...unless their team is on the PP.

Old 02-10-2004, 08:06 PM   #480
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
I'd just like them to put goalies on par with everyone else outside the crease. If they're inside the crease, they're still the protected goalie and you shouldn't mess with them. But if they want to go chasing the puck down, they're fair game. If you're the keeper and you're out far enough that you have to worry about being taken down and not being able to get back, then you probably shouldn't go out that far. I'm sure you'll get your ass beaten in on the other side of the ice with the refs conveniently not watching after you take out the goalie which will cut down on the cheap shots but this should cut out on the egregious net leaving.

SI

As far as reverting to dump and chase, the dump and chase is an effective offensive strategy. It was used a lot in the 80's with great success. Remove the space from behind the net, and you remove the cycling behind the net that it creates, and as such the dump and chase becomes more alive as players make quicker passes into the slot or back to point, instead of freezing and cycling behind the net. Removing the goalies ablitity to stop the dump and chase removes the constant parade of dump, turnover, clear the zone, dump, turnover, ..., repeat for 58 of 60 mins. I think that is what the GM's are trying to do, although true to form, they only went at it half-assed (bigger nets or bigger ice surface would guarantee results).
Old 02-11-2004, 09:12 AM   #481
corbes
College Benchwarmer

No truth to the rumor that Clarke's looking to pick up Eric Weinrich from the Blues in exchange for Antero Niittymaki.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 09:32 AM   #482
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes
No truth to the rumor that Clarke's looking to pick up Eric Weinrich from the Blues in exchange for Antero Niittymaki.

I heard he is willing to go as high as a 2nd round pick to get him back.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:42 AM   #483
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser
just make the damn rink bigger. stop shrinking everything else.

Regardless of the positives or negatives of doing this, one thing to remember is that, if the owners decide to do this, it will eliminate a row or two of the most expensive seats in the rink. Seeing as many teams live and die by their ticket revenues, this may not pick up enough steam to pass through.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 11:27 AM   #484
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
Regardless of the positives or negatives of doing this, one thing to remember is that, if the owners decide to do this, it will eliminate a row or two of the most expensive seats in the rink. Seeing as many teams live and die by their ticket revenues, this may not pick up enough steam to pass through.
Not to mention the costs with making the actual change.

If it costs each owner a million bucks to make the change to their arena, you can bet they'll look elsewhere. And some arenas physically can't accomodate bigger ice, because of the way they're built.

The NHL had it's chance to move to a bigger ice surface a few years ago when half the teams had new buildings on the way. They didn't do it. The opportunity is lost.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:27 AM   #485
bbor
Pro Starter

Leafs trade Rik Jackman to the Pens for Drake Berehowsky...who originally was a 1st round draft pick of the Leafs....funny how things work out.

We are still planning a parade

Old 02-11-2004, 11:31 AM   #486
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Hmm... when Berehowsky was first drafted, he was very popular with the female fans. Um... very popular.

Should be an interesting homecoming for him. If I were him, I'd start practicing the phrase "Um, yeah, of course I remember you..."
Old 02-11-2004, 12:17 PM   #487
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
The NHL had it's chance to move to a bigger ice surface a few years ago when half the teams had new buildings on the way. They didn't do it. The opportunity is lost.

bingo. they blew it big time.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 12:40 PM   #488
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Leafs trade Rik Jackman to the Pens for Drake Berehowsky...who originally was a 1st round draft pick of the Leafs....funny how things work out.

We are still planning a parade

Aw crap. I just picked up Berehowsky on the fofc fantasy hockey waiver wire since I was in need of a 4th defenseman. Is this good news or bad news? He'd been getting decent points regularly (and lots of power play points) but, of course, on the Pens, his +/- was awful. Is he about to lose a lot of his power play time (and thus points)?

SI

Old 02-11-2004, 01:48 PM   #489
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Aw crap. I just picked up Berehowsky on the fofc fantasy hockey waiver wire since I was in need of a 4th defenseman. Is this good news or bad news? He'd been getting decent points regularly (and lots of power play points) but, of course, on the Pens, his +/- was awful. Is he about to lose a lot of his power play time (and thus points)?

SI

I imagine this will help his +/- considerably...i can see him being on the 2nd PP unit for the Leafs.

Old 02-11-2004, 03:05 PM   #490
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Hahaha! Eddie Belfour is great. RE: Proposed Rule Changes:

Quote:
"That is not even the worse one I heard. The worse one I heard was every time a goalie goes down in a butterfly, they will give him a two-minute penalty and one foul and you get three fouls you are out of the game. They are trying to change the game too much. It is ridiculous."

Just offer them 1 billion dollars, Eddie and it will all go away.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:01 PM   #491
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hahaha! Eddie Belfour is great. RE: Proposed Rule Changes:

Just offer them 1 billion dollars, Eddie and it will all go away.

That story is why Eddie is on of my favorite players ever. That and the 'hawks connection.

SI

Old 02-12-2004, 12:15 AM   #492
Travis
Pro Rookie

Anybody watch the Oilers/Thrashers game tonight? If you didn't, check out the highlights. In the end, the Thrashers didn't have a choice but to play without a goalie, well, because they didn't have any left
Old 02-12-2004, 12:17 AM   #493
Travis
Pro Rookie

Dola, we also got to find out just what kind of fighter Sutton is, when he turtles away from fighting Laraque, then ducks him again during the big melee, then grabs Brewer before Georges can find him. What a pansy.

The bit with Bishai in the Atlanta bench was great, as was the Conklin/Nurminen tussle. I'm curious if Conklin realized what getting Pasi to fight would mean for Atlanta, if so, head's up move Ty.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:14 AM   #494
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

And Jackman was a first round pick of the Stars.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:33 AM   #495
Blade
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Anybody watch the Oilers/Thrashers game tonight? If you didn't, check out the highlights. In the end, the Thrashers didn't have a choice but to play without a goalie, well, because they didn't have any left

All I can say is DAMN!!! I was at the game last night, and when all Hell broke loose, every fan in the building was on their feet. It felt like a playoff game out there! The air was electric!

Fun game to be at, that is for sure!

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 03:59 PM   #496
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade
All I can say is DAMN!!! I was at the game last night, and when all Hell broke loose, every fan in the building was on their feet.
You mean, "on their feet" so they could get up and leave the building, right?

I mean, hockey fans don't like fighting, right? Isn't that what the holier-than-thou types keep telling us?
Old 02-12-2004, 04:53 PM   #497
Blade
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
You mean, "on their feet" so they could get up and leave the building, right?

I mean, hockey fans don't like fighting, right? Isn't that what the holier-than-thou types keep telling us?

Oh, of course...I would never cheer very loudly during hockey fights...laugh as players get beaten to the ice...

Nothing like that...

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 06:04 PM   #498
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

tell that to the little guy sitting next to me at that Sabres game....

Old 02-12-2004, 06:07 PM   #499
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Hey, it's Honolulu_Blue's birthday today! Happy Birthday!
Old 02-12-2004, 06:14 PM   #500
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Hey, it's Honolulu_Blue's birthday today! Happy Birthday!

which one?