Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-12-2004, 08:04 AM   #151
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
This surprises me. Prior to reading this, I've only heard Pat Quinn call them a "dirty team." They can't be any dirtier than the Leafs, Devils, Avalanche, and Stars.

I'll give you the Leafs, and I'll give you half credit for the Devils, just because Colin White plays for them. But the Avs and Stars as dirty teams? huh?
Old 04-12-2004, 08:12 AM   #152
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo
Cloutier's injury is the best thing that could've happened for Vancouver's playoff hopes. Lets hope he's seriously injured, Hedburg is ten times the goalie Cloutier is.

yep
Old 04-12-2004, 09:06 AM   #153
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Cloutier's injury is the best thing that could've happened for Vancouver's playoff hopes. Lets hope he's seriously injured, Hedburg is ten times the goalie Cloutier is.

Hedberg? I don't see it.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 09:10 AM   #154
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
I'll give you the Leafs, and I'll give you half credit for the Devils, just because Colin White plays for them. But the Avs and Stars as dirty teams? huh?

Oh, come on. You haven't watched Forsberg punk people in the back of the head once per game? You haven't seen Morrow and his stickwork? Those two teams have redefined the art of going after guys away from the puck, and I only named two examples of guys who do it every game. Colin White is a real thug, but he isn't the only guy on the Devils who is looking to put the rulebook in the trash bin.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:12 AM   #155
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
Isn't Donavon one of your brighter prospects, too?

Shean Donovan was a prospect...in the mid-90s.

He is 29 years old and has played in 618 NHL regular season games.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:43 AM   #156
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hedberg? I don't see it.

I say it for two reasons:
1) Cloutier is never going to get it done. Ever. He's just a second or third-tier goalie and that's how it is. Those goalies don't win Stanley Cups unless the team in front of them is spectacular (see Chris Osgood with Detroit).
2) Hedberg played for the Manitoba Moose and I have a bit of bias in me for him. But he handles the puck much better than Cloutier and has always been a steady goaltender, even on bad Pittsburgh teams. I'm not saying he is for sure the goalie to take them all the way, but he has a better chance than Cloutier ever will.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 09:54 AM   #157
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Oh, come on. You haven't watched Forsberg punk people in the back of the head once per game? You haven't seen Morrow and his stickwork? Those two teams have redefined the art of going after guys away from the puck, and I only named two examples of guys who do it every game. Colin White is a real thug, but he isn't the only guy on the Devils who is looking to put the rulebook in the trash bin.

EVERY team in the NHL has a guy like that - you can't call the whole team dirty for one or two players. Forsberg and Morrow fit that bill, but the rest of their team, in general, are not dirty.

now, if you are like the Leafs and Sens and have a whole team full of those types of players, you can call them dirty.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:24 AM   #158
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
This surprises me. Prior to reading this, I've only heard Pat Quinn call them a "dirty team."
Well, you can add Bobby Clarke and Ken Hitchcock to the list. Of course, Clarke is pretty much in a kettle/black situation whenever he calls someone else dirty, but then again who has more expertise in dirty play than him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
now, if you are like the Leafs and Sens and have a whole team full of those types of players, you can call them dirty.
The Leafs certainly have a handful of "dirty" players, but they also have some of the classiest guys in the league. Guys like Neuiwendyk, Francis, Sundin, Leetch and Mogilny are all about as squeaky clean as you'll find, so it's not fair to point to the whole team. The roster is an interesting mix, that's for sure.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:42 AM   #159
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
The Leafs certainly have a handful of "dirty" players, but they also have some of the classiest guys in the league. Guys like Neuiwendyk, Francis, Sundin, Leetch and Mogilny are all about as squeaky clean as you'll find, so it's not fair to point to the whole team. The roster is an interesting mix, that's for sure.

well, Francis and Leetch have only been with the team a couple of months, not nearly long enough to cancel out the Tuckers, Marchments, & Domis. Corson is gone, which helps (and man, did he look atrocious in Game 1). you're right - an interesting mix.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:57 AM   #160
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Ok, so the Stars only have Morrow, Guerin, and Corson that are dirty players. Bill Guerin gets away with most of his stuff. I will never forget the way he went after his own teammate in Dallas with a stick to the face during a practice. I'd even throw Steve Ott into the mix with some of the things he has done this season.

I still say Ottawa is no dirtier than most teams in the league. They certainly aren't the 'dirtiest team in the league.' If they are, then it is a tie with a few other teams at the very least.

Don't forget to mention McCabe. I'm so disappointed with how he has turned into a thug. I used to like that guy, but he breaks the rules at every turn. He also bitches and moans about every single call, no matter how obvious it is. He's a punk.

As far as the Flyers throwing that out about any team, it is ALWAYS sour grapes when anybody associated with them says negative things about any other team. According to them, nobody can beat them fairly. If the Flyers ever lose, it is because the other team was dirty, the coach sucks, the goalie sucks, or some combination of that. When you have players like Brashear, Fedoruk, Primeau, and Roenick on the roster, you really shouldn't throw stones at anybody else.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:09 AM   #161
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but is anyone else completely pissed at the crap Ribeiro pulled last night? I can't believe the refs didn't give him a diving call after he got up and started laughing. What a jackass.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 04-12-2004, 11:27 AM   #162
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but is anyone else completely pissed at the crap Ribeiro pulled last night? I can't believe the refs didn't give him a diving call after he got up and started laughing. What a jackass.

Yeah, we thought he was hurt pretty badly. I have no respect for that at all. I used to like him.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:57 AM   #163
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Don't forget to mention McCabe. I'm so disappointed with how he has turned into a thug. I used to like that guy, but he breaks the rules at every turn. He also bitches and moans about every single call, no matter how obvious it is. He's a punk.
McCabe is dirty in the "bends and breaks the rules" sense, but he's not a guy who goes out looking to hurt people. He's the master of can opener and he does still yap too much, but he's not a Marchement type and never has been.

And yes, count me among those who lost all respect for Ribeiro last night. What a pathetic display.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:05 PM   #164
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

we were driving at the time, so I haven't seen it, just heard it on the radio. the commentator was pretty vicious - really laying into him, even before it was obvious (I guess) that he wasn't hurt.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:47 PM   #165
rkmsuf
Head Coach

really impressed with the Canadian crowd booing the US National Anthem...
Old 04-12-2004, 02:49 PM   #166
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf

Don't mistake Montrealers for Canadians
Old 04-12-2004, 05:12 PM   #167
Karim
College Starter

Yeah, I don't know what is up with Montreal. It's hardly condoned in any other Canadian NHL rink.

Last edited by Karim : 04-12-2004 at 05:12 PM.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 05:36 PM   #168
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:

Ive heard both anthems booed in both countries, and both anthems cheered in both countries....I think most fans are directing the boos towards their teams opponents, so I dont pay too much attention to it

Last edited by Johnny93g : 04-12-2004 at 05:37 PM.
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 07:06 PM   #169
Hurst2112
College Starter

le boooooo.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 07:23 PM   #170
DiG
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
Yeah, I don't know what is up with Montreal. It's hardly condoned in any other Canadian NHL rink.

I tried a couple of times to explain logically and clearly how some people are here in Quebec, but then I can't understand how dumb these people are. They're the same people that booed Patrice Brisebois night after night during, what?, 4 or 5 years, even when he was our best blueliner, and they're probably the same people that'll vote "yes" at the next referendum because some dudes said that "Les Anglais" were nasty to the french 200 years ago. And they're the same pople that think that their freedom of speech outweighs everything else...even if an arena, before a hockey game, is never the right place to make a political statement, especially one as poor as booing a national anthem.

Anyway here's a sample of what people that booed the anthem are saying on talkbacks today :
Quote:
Message to Karen Guregian, I'm proud of being a Montrealers and a Canadiens fans. I think you miss the point when your talking about us being "the most ignorant and classless". We have nothing against Bruins or American citizens but all against your governement. The only way we could demonstrate our opinion on "the war policies" of mr. Bush is by booing the anthem. I thought you were able to see a litle ahead. So keep on voting for mister Bushes and keep on receiving booo on the national anthems. We don't like war, we don't want a third world wide war because of USA in Irak, Israel, etc... Fair enough?"
DiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 07:54 PM   #171
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

When Brisebois was gracoiusly granted a week of "personal time" by Canadiens management, didn't he hop on a plane for Paris to live it up for like a month?
Old 04-12-2004, 07:58 PM   #172
DiG
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
When Brisebois was gracoiusly granted a week of "personal time" by Canadiens management, didn't he hop on a plane for Paris to live it up for like a month?

I don't know about "living it up", but he got a week to get away from the nightmare Montreal was turning into for him, and stayed a week. IMO, that was the thing to do for him, but it didn't need a genius to know that things would be 10X worst than before if word got out about his trip.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:40 PM   #173
Johnny93g
College Starter

EDDIE EDDIE

What a goal by Mats Sundin....What effort.....That goal is the difference between Mats, and Alfredsson......Alfredsson isnt capable of that.....

Belfour has gotten into the Sens heads

Old 04-12-2004, 08:45 PM   #174
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:

Even funnier is a few years ago when the franchise was in trouble an American saved their @ss....George Gillette owns the Habs now.

How does he feel?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 09:56 PM   #175
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Stars FINALLY play like men, and happen to win, also.

Last edited by sachmo71 : 04-12-2004 at 09:56 PM.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 10:02 PM   #176
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Those Sharks, so hot right now, Sharks (in the same voice as Will Ferrell in Zoolander)
pennywisesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 06:31 AM   #177
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
Stars FINALLY play like men, and happen to win, also.

they did play well. the Avs still should have won the game.

you can't play an entire period just sitting back like that; you are going to get burned. After the Avs went up 3-1, I mentioned to my wife how happy I was that they were still playing aggressive and not sitting back, and things were looking GREAT. Then, after Young made it a one-goal game, the Avs played the entire 3rd period with 4 guys back. I knew it would just be a matter of time before Dallas tied it up.

the Avs have done that ALL season long and it's a major reason they had so many ties; they'd get an early lead and instead of keeping the pressure on, they'd sit back and wait, and it often cost them.

fuck that pisses me off.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:32 AM   #178
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Well, I still think it's the Avs series, but I'm just happy to see the Stars try. The lack of effort up until game 3 made me sick to my stomach.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:11 AM   #179
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I agree on all counts.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:05 AM   #180
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Paging Peter Bondra... apparently, Mr. Bondra, you were traded to Ottawa six weeks ago. They were wondering if you might like to drop by any time now.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:54 AM   #181
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Paging Peter Bondra... apparently, Mr. Bondra, you were traded to Ottawa six weeks ago. They were wondering if you might like to drop by any time now.

And if you see Bill Guerin, tell him that the people of Dallas wouldn't mind him showing up for a certain series, either.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:12 PM   #182
bbor
Pro Starter

Ping Redwings....

The play-offs have started.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:59 PM   #183
sabotai
General Manager

What an ending to the Bruins-Canadians game.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 10:00 PM   #184
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

What in the hell was Kovalev doing?!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 10:01 PM   #185
sabotai
General Manager

I don't know, but it was pretty funny.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 10:13 PM   #186
Travis
Pro Rookie

Apparently the ref's aren't too worried about Canadien players acting as if they're hurt anymore, wonder why that could be...

In all honesty though, what a way to lose, on a play that should have been an *obvious* penalty for slashing, 2 Canadiens rumbling, bumbling then stumbling, all after giving up the lead with 30 seconds to go.

Fork in them yet? I just can't see them coming back after tonight.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 10:16 PM   #187
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Gee, Kovalev really seemed I hurt. I wonder why they didn't whistle that play down...

Yep... I wonder...
Old 04-13-2004, 10:24 PM   #188
DiG
n00b

Quote:
Gee, Kovalev really seemed I hurt. I wonder why they didn't whistle that play down...

Yep... I wonder...

Still doesn't make it right though...
Old 04-13-2004, 10:42 PM   #189
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Kovalev got what he deserved. He's spent his whole career embalishing infractions and trying to get calls. In the playoffs, in overtime, they could chop a guys arm off and if he's the last guy back with the puck he should still try to make a play on it. Kovalev made the grand "oww, my hand!" gesture, stupidly knocked his own teammate, and payed for it. Add in the Ribeiro incident the game before and this is called Karma. Goodbye Canadiens, see ya in 2006.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:47 PM   #190
Johnny93g
College Starter

Blame Riberio, his fault in my opinion, what he did was wrong....im glad it ended up hurting them
Old 04-13-2004, 10:58 PM   #191
bbor
Pro Starter

Ouch!

Old 04-14-2004, 12:36 AM   #192
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I would not let Kovalev put on the Habs' sweater again the rest of his life. I'd have private investigators trying to determine if he was paid to throw the game. Kick his ass to the curb. Kovalev is a loser and yet another highly touted, and overpaid, player that will never live up to this potential.

It is not Ribiero's fault. Kovalev has a reputation for faking injury, and this was a point Hockey Night In Canada made many times over the past 48+ hours. They were talking about how Kovalev rarely can draw a call when they were talking about Ribiero. You just got to see it in action tonight.

Last edited by Tekneek : 04-14-2004 at 12:39 AM.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:46 AM   #193
Hurst2112
College Starter

In Kovalev's defense, it appeared that he was caught by suprise when he got hit by Souray. They showed a couple angles of the play and the close up did seem to show Kovalevs face pretty well.

But, I think he let his team and the fans down when he curled up like a baby and let the puck go in his own zone. Not NHL playoff material anymore.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 01:52 AM   #194
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Ping Redwings....

The play-offs have started.

Shhh....

Don't tell them that. Maybe we should try to convince them it's still the regular season. They play better then.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 02:14 AM   #195
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Go Tomas, he of the awesome goaltending which helped lead my fantasy team along with Turco and Weekes.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 03:08 AM   #196
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Go Tomas, he of the awesome goaltending which helped lead my fantasy team along with Turco and Weekes.

SI

He led them to defeat at the hands of the mighty Belgos! As he will do so against the Wings! (we hope)
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 07:21 PM   #197
j51
Mascot

Does Turco have money on the Avs or something?
j51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 08:33 PM   #198
bbor
Pro Starter

Damn...someone woke up the Sens....they totally dominated tonight...Leafs without Sunding and Newy just are'nt the same team.

Go figure.

I still stand by my prediction of Sens in 6.

Old 04-14-2004, 09:07 PM   #199
Karim
College Starter

Simon and Lydman are lost for the series. It's been a war for anyone who hasn't been watching; I'd say definitely the most physical series. Whichever team comes out of this round is going to be hurting in a big way.

Thankfully Yelle is back, even though he's not at 100%. Non-hockey people don't understand his immense value to the team. It's really shocking that Colorado gave him up.

Peter Maher, the voice of the Flames, was mentioning today how statistically the winner of Game 5 usually goes on to win the series.

Time for a road win...
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:14 PM   #200
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51
Does Turco have money on the Avs or something?

it's balanced by the fact that the refs and Granato have money on the Stars.

my heart can't take this...the Avs should be finishing up a sweep tonight. Instead, they take 2 consecutive 3rd periods off, and now they could be looking at 2-2.