Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-01-2005, 09:04 PM   #251
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW

Go fat guys!

One fat, one medium, two little!!!!!!!!!!!!

~rpi-fan
Old 08-01-2005, 09:59 PM   #252
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
One fat, one medium, two little!!!!!!!!!!!!

~rpi-fan

Exactly!!!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 10:17 PM   #253
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Sportsnet says Foote to the Blue Jackets.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:32 PM   #254
Simms
FOBL Commish

As does TSN: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132173
Old 08-01-2005, 10:35 PM   #255
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Sportsnet says Foote to the Blue Jackets.

3 years at 4.5 per.
yowsers

EDIT: I believe that is actually a raise from his last contract...no 24% rollback for him.

a nice fit for the BJs, but man that's a lot of dough.

Last edited by Draft Dodger : 08-01-2005 at 10:42 PM.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 11:07 PM   #256
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Great. Now we get to see Ugly Head 8 times a year. Just great...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 08-01-2005, 11:13 PM   #257
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Great. Now we get to see Ugly Head 8 times a year. Just great...

and I won't have to see those terrible jewelry store commercials on Avs Center Ice broadcasts anymore!
Old 08-01-2005, 11:33 PM   #258
Karim
College Starter

I'm already liking this CBA.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 11:52 PM   #259
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

btw, coincidentally, my NHL calendar for August features, or course, Adam Foote.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:12 AM   #260
bbor
Pro Starter

Wa-wa-wa---wow.....Go JACKETS....Maclean is making noise in Columbus...i like it.I think he could become one of the best GM's in the "new" NHL.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 12:30 AM   #261
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

they overpaid, I'm not sold on Foote in the new NHL
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 01:00 AM   #262
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby
they overpaid, I'm not sold on Foote in the new NHL

I agree.
half a million more than Zubov got, and I think most people here agree that Dallas overpaid.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:04 AM   #263
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

If Adam Foote is making $4.5 million, Zubov $4 million, Nieuwendyk and Roberts each $2.5 million, I am begining to think that perhaps the players didn't get screwed quite so badly after all. Sure, they could have demanded a bit more in a no-cap NHL, but these aren't bad salaries.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:31 AM   #264
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Report: Market heats up for Modano

TSN.ca Staff

8/2/2005 1:24:20 AM

For the first time in his career, Mike Modano may be donning a jersey other than that of the Stars.

According to a report on RDS.ca, the Boston Bruins are expected to sign the 35-year-old centre with an announcement coming as early as Tuesday. Modano had three offers to consider with the Bruins being the front-runner. The Atlanta Thrashers and Pittsburgh Penguins are the others in the race for his services.

On Monday, Modano told the Dallas Morning News that the Stars never made an offer to him or agent Brian Lawton and that the Stars are hesitant about offering him a long-term deal because of his age.

"It just doesn't make sense," Modano told the newspaper. ''I'm old at 35 and Zubie isn't? I don't get it."

Modano was refering to the three-year, $12 million contract defenceman Sergei Zubov signed on Sunday. Zubov, 35, has played eight seasons with the Stars, helping the club win the Stanley Cup in 1999.

"All things being equal, I'd love to be here," he said. "It's a great place, and I want to finish my career here. But I guess we just have to go out and see what's out there."

Modano was drafted by the Minnesota North Stars in the 1st round (1st overall) in 1988. In 1101 career games, the 6-3, 205-pound Modano has collected 458 goals and 1106 points.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 07:05 AM   #265
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Wow, I didn't wake up expecting to see this news!!! This is awesome!!!

While MacLean might have overpaid a little bit, his top priority over the past three years has been to get a tough D-man that will clear out the crease. It seems that the Jackets have finally got their guy. Now, lets see what else MacLean does, as he still wants another forward and another d-man. Also, on our TV station last night, they said that Doug has put out pretty good offers to Forsberg and Naslund..........wow.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 07:07 AM   #266
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerONU22
While MacLean might have overpaid a little bit, his top priority over the past three years has been to get a tough D-man that will clear out the crease. It seems that the Jackets have finally got their guy.

What about Luke Richardson? Isn't that what he is? A tough D-man that will clear out the crease? Poor Luke Richardson. Is he even playing anymore?
Old 08-02-2005, 07:12 AM   #267
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:
What about Luke Richardson? Isn't that what he is? A tough D-man that will clear out the crease? Poor Luke Richardson. Is he even playing anymore?

Luke has been a MAJOR disappointment and the only reason I don't think MacLean bought him out was the fact that he was the captain, and what does that tell your team when the captain is bought out? Also, he bought out Lachance, and I don't think he wanted to buy out two D-men.

I like Luke because he's a really nice guy, but I still am waiting for that mean streak he supposedly has on the ice. My nickname for him when he's out on the ice is "Standing Pylon". Of course, my nickname for Lachance was "Bag O' Pucks", because that's all I thought we could get for him in a trade.

Last edited by TurnerONU22 : 08-02-2005 at 07:14 AM.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 08:16 AM   #268
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

you know it's a new era when Modano is a free agent and the teams chasing him aren't Toronto, Colorado and Detroit but Pittsburgh, Atlanta and Boston.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:30 AM   #269
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Yup, I've made peace with the fact that Modano might not be a Star much longer. New NHL and all of that.

*Sniff, Sniff*

Will someone hold me?

Foote is overpaid, IMO.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 08:58 AM   #270
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

TSN is now reporting that the Flyers are on the verge of announcing deals with Derian Hatcher and Mike Rathje. This should surprise no one. Clarke and the Flyers have always gone for biggest defensemen they can find. Perhaps Clarke was giving advice to George McPhee of the Caps during this years draft...
Old 08-02-2005, 09:09 AM   #271
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Latest from Eklund (still needs to be confirmed from one acutally reliable source) Aucoin signed with Chicago at $4 million a year for four years (need to confirm). I think that's a pretty good deal for Chicago. Aucoin is a few years younger than Zubov/Foote. He can play like 57 minutes a night. He's physical, can kill penalties, and has a big shot from the point. I like this signing.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:10 AM   #272
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Ohhh, Hatcher is going to LOVE playing for Hitch again.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 09:44 AM   #273
Karim
College Starter

Hatcher and Rathje to Philly (no terms disclosed)
Aucoin to Chicago $16 million/4 years
Old 08-02-2005, 10:32 AM   #274
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
Hatcher and Rathje to Philly (no terms disclosed)

They've also added Chris Therein.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 11:05 AM   #275
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

a nice looking blueline for the Flyers - Hatcher and Rathje joining Johnsson, Markov and Desjardins.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:35 AM   #276
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
a nice looking blueline for the Flyers - Hatcher and Rathje joining Johnsson, Markov and Desjardins.

If the obstruction rules are called this season the Flyers are in trouble...if they are'nt called...the Flyers may win the cup.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:48 AM   #277
bbor
Pro Starter

Holik to Thrashers.....

Old 08-02-2005, 12:10 PM   #278
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/spo...l/12284336.htm

To make cap room for all four players, the Flyers traded defenseman Danny Markov to the Nashville Predators, according to league sources. That trade will be announced later today.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:11 PM   #279
Simms
FOBL Commish

LeafsLunch (radio) reporting Allison will sign here w/in the next day or so.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:25 PM   #280
Johnny93g
College Starter

wow...alot of cash getting tossed around.....more then i thought would be anyway...
Im thinking that if people arent getting signed right now, they will have to take less, cuz the cap room wont be there for some teams...also, I can see contracts like Adam Foote's and Sergei Zubov becoming very bad after the 1st few years of them.....Dallas will probably spend near the cap, and will be looking to dump Zubov in a year or 2, cuz he will take up too much cap room.....Adam Foote will be very hard to move when Columbus gets tired of him....noone will want that cap figure on their team....

Really hoping the Allison deal with Toronto is about 1-1.5
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 12:29 PM   #281
Simms
FOBL Commish

I'm guessing Allison won't be for much more than a million, plus bonuses. There's some clause in the CBA whereby his bonuses won't count against the cap (or will count less, or something) because he hasn't played in almost two years. Given the unproven nature of his comeback, I'd be amazed (and frankly, a little pissed at JFJ) if Allison saw much money up front at all.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:34 PM   #282
Karim
College Starter

$4.5 million for the first year for Holik

This site has the quickest updates that I've come across. Just keep refreshing:
http://www2.sportsnet.ca/nhl/free_agent_tracker.html
Old 08-02-2005, 12:35 PM   #283
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
$4.5 million for the first year for Holik

This site has the quickest updates that I've come across. Just keep refreshing:
http://www2.sportsnet.ca/nhl/free_agent_tracker.html

Goodness. I hope the salary goes down after this season, but not likely, eh?
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 12:37 PM   #284
Johnny93g
College Starter

im thinking some of these contracts are part of the growing pains alot of teams will suffer through....4.5 for Holik is way too much....the average salary will be about 1.3.......that means Holik is over 3 teams better then the average player.......dumb sigining at that price
TML
Old 08-02-2005, 12:58 PM   #285
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g
im thinking some of these contracts are part of the growing pains alot of teams will suffer through....4.5 for Holik is way too much....the average salary will be about 1.3.......that means Holik is over 3 teams better then the average player.......dumb sigining at that price

I know nothing about hockey, and just looking at his stats came to the same conclusion.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 01:02 PM   #286
Pyser
Pro Rookie

if holik is used correctly, hes the best defensive forward in hockey. he'll shut down the opposing teams top center. he is worth it, but only if you use him the way the devils did, not the way the rangers did.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 01:27 PM   #287
Karim
College Starter

Yzerman has re-signed with Detroit. Murray has re-signed with Boston for 4 years. They also signed Shawn McEachern for 2 years.

Last edited by Karim : 08-02-2005 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:58 PM   #288
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

*sigh*

Carolina is apparently going to play the role of leach. They've already told reporters that they aren't interested in going over the threshold for which teams receive money in revenue redistribution, which is somewhere around $28 mil from what I've read. They say they'll shell out for a couple of free agents for around $5 mil total. Nothing like having a cheapskate for an owner. He and others like him get the NHL shut down for a year and then when they get what they want, he still refuses to commit more money to be competitive? This isn't Chicago. The natives already have college basketball to get them through the winter and the defending national champion is just up the road from them. If anything, they needed to be aggressive to get some headlines to compete with the Triangle schools. This will just mean more empty seats and a continuing embarassment for the city and league.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 01:58 PM   #289
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I'm just amazed at some of these salaries. Johnny compared Holik to the average player, but I think it's even more ludicrous to compare his salary to the maximum. an Igninla or a Sakic or a Forsberg or a Naslund will just barely be making more than Holik, who maintains his status of being one of the most overpaid/overrated players in the league.

really quite stunned by all this, and question whether anyone is going to have any money left next year for what should be an even better free agency crop.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:05 PM   #290
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Yzerman has re-signed with Detroit. Murray has re-signed with Boston for 4 years. They also signed Shawn McEachern for 2 years.

So long as the contracts are reasonable (whatever that means), these seem like good pick ups for Boston even if Murray is a bit one-dimensional and I have never been sold on McEachern.

While the Yzerman signing comes as no surprise at all, it still makes me very happy. This will in all likelihood be his last year, but it's pretty much a given that Yzerman will be on the team for as long as he likes. It'll be a pleasure to watch him play. It will be interesting to see what the Wings do next. This is their first "free agent" movie. So long as Yzerman is playing they should be gearing up for a Cup run.

Greatest. Sports figure. Ever.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:05 PM   #291
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

nice to see Yzerman back.
wonder how some of the older guys (Yzerman, Messier, Hull, etc) will do with the year off. On one hand, I think their bodies would enjoy the season off without the punishment, but it's also one more year for their physical skills to erode just that much more.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:06 PM   #292
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Islanders look like we might blow it big-time. I'm not asking for us to sign anyone for more than $3mil a year or so (and can live with Aucoin leaving for $4mil for 4 years). HOWEVER, we absolutely HAVE to sign a player or two for well over the average salary to be competitive (especially on defense).

But Milbury's comments of "the team will look very similar to last year (2003)" is extremely disturbing, given that Aucoin is gone.

~rpi-fan
Old 08-02-2005, 02:07 PM   #293
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Islanders look like we might blow it big-time. I'm not asking for us to sign anyone for more than $3mil a year or so (and can live with Aucoin leaving for $4mil for 4 years). HOWEVER, we absolutely HAVE to sign a player or two for well over the average salary to be competitive (especially on defense).

But Milbury's comments of "the team will look very similar to last year (2003)" is extremely disturbing, given that Aucoin is gone.

~rpi-fan

But you have Alexei Yashin!
Old 08-02-2005, 02:13 PM   #294
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
So long as the contracts are reasonable (whatever that means), these seem like good pick ups for Boston even if Murray is a bit one-dimensional and I have never been sold on McEachern.

Murray is a decent player who is made significantly better by playing with Joe Thornton - they have a great chemistry together on the ice. Playing with Thornton turned Murray into a 30-goal scorer (never hit that mark before he came here). I'm not saying he's a bum, but he's an all-star who is just average without Joe (who, btw, really wants out of Boston).

McEachern? meh.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:15 PM   #295
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

~rpi-fan

Milbury is on a short-list of guys (along with Keenan and Boobie Clark) that I am consistently amazed are still gainfully employed in this league.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:18 PM   #296
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Pavol Demitra to the Kings 3 years, 4.5 million per.
a bargain compared to Holik or Aucoin
Old 08-02-2005, 02:19 PM   #297
Karim
College Starter

Hatcher signed for $14 million/4 years.
Rathje signed for $17.5 million/5 years with a no-trade clause.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:22 PM   #298
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I need to stop sitting here refreshing that damn page
Old 08-02-2005, 02:23 PM   #299
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Hatcher signed for $14 million/4 years.
Rathje signed for $17.5 million/5 years with a no-trade clause.

Rathje, wow.....Hatcher, a deal compared to others
TML
Old 08-02-2005, 02:25 PM   #300
Johnny93g
College Starter

the teams that are giving these contracts out may be better this year, but will hurt themself in the future......I guess you need to overspend to get players in the free agent market, but I think this will come back and bite some of these teams in the ass

BTW, Kings, Demitra, thats a great signing
TML