Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 10:58 PM   #1351
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Jim, well said.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:58 PM   #1352
capsicum
Banned

Okay hopefully this is my last qualification type apology by way of explanation of my poorly worded post.

Masked,

The Bay Area happens to be one of my favorite places to visit in all of Northern California. Im very sorry if it in anyway, came across as a wish on my part to see any kind of similar destruction happen there. As my husband can attest , I drag him up there nearly every chance I get. I would never wish for anything like that.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:03 PM   #1353
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

For JIMGA (if he's still reading the thread) and all the other animal lovers...

Linky

Quote:

SPCA help for animals

Friday, 9:50 p.m.

There's hope for stranded pets in the New Orleans area. The Louisiana SPCA, New Orleans' animal control agency, has begun rescuing pets from owners houses.

Louisiana SPCA director Laura Maloney said shelter workers follow other agencies and crews through neighborhoods and rescue pets, some that are locked in houses. At the owners' request, "we break in," she said.

Owners have to call or email the operation and give their name and address and information about where the pet is confined.

The hotline number is: 1-225-578-6111. E-mail should be sent to [email protected].

The hotline already is in effect, Maloney said. "It's busy an awful lot. We are trying to get a bank of telephones"

Last edited by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn : 09-02-2005 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:04 PM   #1354
Masked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsicum
Okay hopefully this is my last qualification type apology by way of explanation of my poorly worded post.

Masked,

The Bay Area happens to be one of my favorite places to visit in all of Northern California. Im very sorry if it in anyway, came across as a wish on my part to see any kind of similar destruction happen there. As my husband can attest , I drag him up there nearly every chance I get. I would never wish for anything like that.

I grew up in New Orleans, and my parents still live there. They are safe but our home is severely flooded. I have spent many restless nights worrying about their safety and worrying about what they will do now. I thought you were suggesting that the people of N.O. diserved what happened. I apologize for lashing out at you - I grossly misinterpreted your post.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:05 PM   #1355
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
...Big mistake, as quite a few people here seem to be determined to take all my posts in the worst possible light. Please read over some of my other posts before forming a picture of my character.

Sincerly Sharon

Sharon,

I'm all about second chances, god knows I've been given my share. I went through and read some of your posts. The problem I see is that the WAY you present your posts, valid argument or trolling crap aside, it comes across as self serving tripe. Its not even a matter of worst possible light, in the majority of your posts there is no other way to take them.

Take a step back before you post and ask yourself:

Is this going to piss off the person I'm responding to?

If so, is it deserved, or am I beating my own drum and trying to be a smartass?

If so, why post? Perhaps its time to stop being the class clown and just discuss things instead of emflaming the situation further.

In so many of your comments you take a very biting and insultery attitude. This is, I'm hoping anyway, more a preoblem that you don't understand the way posts are percieved on the other end of the connection, and not that you really are that assinine.(if she IS that assinine, blink twice Frank!)

Anyway. Thus far what I've seen of your comments doesn't give me a lot of hope for seeing anything worthwhile from you. I hope I'm right that its just a learning curve on how to post without pissing off the population. Time will tell.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:06 PM   #1356
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Jim, well said.

Wait, I'm agreeing with Bucc TOO? damn strange day....

Nice post Jim!
Old 09-02-2005, 11:08 PM   #1357
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Jim, well said.

I agree.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:15 PM   #1358
capsicum
Banned

Masked

Completely my fault.

MY last vacation that I was able to take with my dad before he passed was to New Orleans we stayed for more then two weeks. We were able to tour nearly all of the historical Antebellum Mansions between N.O and Mobile Alabama. Those homes were irreplaceable. And IM extremely grateful that I had the chance to see them before Kitrina.

Much much worse then the losing of those beautiful historical landmarks is the loss of life and human suffering that abounds there now. Its unimaginable, I pray that your family continues to stay safe, as I pray for all the victims, volunteers, national guardsmen, and powers that be desperately trying to help the folks down there.

Last edited by capsicum : 09-02-2005 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:29 PM   #1359
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Today, 12:23 AM
SkyDog
H.N.I.C.

Ugh. Just got back from the Tucker game...

...and I have reported posts and PM's out the wazoo to deal with. Frankly, I'm tired and want to go to bed. Based on what I've seen in the past, it is usually very difficult to go back through a thread that has gotten out of hand and dole out suspensions without suspended a whole bunch of people. Unless I read tomorrow morning and find one or two people that really stand out as being asshats, there probably won't be suspensions for anything up to now. HOWEVER, if I read anything trollish after whatever time the timestamp for this post is, you *will* be dealt with severely. Retreat to your corners, and now.

Good night.

--Ben

edited for image cleanup

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 09-02-2005 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:32 PM   #1360
capsicum
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR

Anyway. Thus far what I've seen of your comments doesn't give me a lot of hope for seeing anything worthwhile from you. I hope I'm right that its just a learning curve on how to post without pissing off the population. Time will tell.

I can say the same about all of your recent posts myself.

Considering the fact that we're never going to agree with each other on anything (unless you're a closet Vikings fan), I would suggest that you not get your hopes up - you're not going to find much of what I say to be worthwhile, and I'm not going to find much of what you say to be worthwhile.

I'd like to get along with you, but I'm not trying to impress you or anyone else. I'm going to speak my mind, and just because you don't like my opinion doesn't mean it's any less valuable than your own.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:44 PM   #1361
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just a random FYI - Best Buy was soliciting relief donations at all checkouts tonight while we were there. I assume they're sending everything to the Red Cross, since they had their (the RC) phone number & slogan & stuff on all the little credit card/debit card machine screens.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:45 PM   #1362
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

I can't remember who, but earlier in this thread someone mentioned that people weren't acting like a community after the hurricane. People in N.O. weren't coming together, neighbor helping neighbor.

I found a story about a community in MS that is. It's good to see.

Linky (subscription required)

Quote:

Neighbors Pitch In to Help Storm-Stricken Mississippi

By EVAN PEREZ and EVELINA SHMUKLER
Staff Reporters of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
September 2, 2005 11:56 p.m.

In Pascagoula, Miss., the wall of water from the hurricane, estimated at 18-feet high, wiped out the majestic waterfront homes, including some that stood during the Civil War, and continued as much as a mile inland, pushing mud into homes. For blocks, all that remain of most homes are foundations and piles of rubble. This is the neighborhood where Senator Trent Lott's house stood, and is now destroyed.

Neighbors said several bodies were recovered from the waterfront and bayou-front neighborhoods. In some areas, residents have set up barricades to thwart looters. For miles, in rich neighborhoods and in trailer parks set back from the water, there are signs of the devastation: a refrigerator perched five feet high in a tree; cars with several inches of mud in them; a dresser from someone's home located several streets away in a neighbor's front yard. On every street, residents have piled up their belongings on the front lawn. They've put clothing on hangers and hung them to dry on tree branches, like Christmas ornaments.

In the aftermath of Katrina, with federal aid still slow in arriving, it's the help coming from friends and strangers that is making the most impact. On Friday, neighbors and families that hadn't heard from each other since the storm made their way to check on each other. Others have taken in friends and for a few days until they can find shelter.

Walter Gaultier and other neighbors stayed in their homes in the Brambles subdivision during the storm and swam out at the height of it to secure one resident's boat. Lynn Underwood, Mr. Gaultier's neighbor, said that with water coming up quickly they had fears they may drown and thought they could use the boat to help the residents of several homes escape. On Friday, with power out, gasoline in short supply, the entire neighborhood of tidy brick homes has become something of a cooperative.

Mike Wixson, an administrator with a real estate company, who evacuated with his wife, returned Thursday with a trailer full of generators, steaks, chicken and window air conditioners. He hadn't been able to reach anyone but distributed the supplies to neighbors who needed them. Gloria King, who has a large lot in the area, nearby had set up a table and a grill in her side yard on Thursday night, where on Friday some 30 neighbors ate steaks brought by Mr. Wixson.

Mr Gaultier has a generator powering his refrigerator, so he is storing food for several households. "This storm has brought out the best in people," Ms. King said as she prepared to start cooking her shrimp boil, to be served with corn. A family friend, Michael Henderson, stopped by because he hadn't been able to reach Ms. King since the hurricane made landfall on Monday. Mr. Henderson, whose house a few blocks away was destroyed, said he's had to run off looters every night from the heap of rubble. Mr. Henderson said one looter confronted him on Thursday night, until Mr Henderson showed the looter his handgun. "It may be trash now, but it's my trash," he said.

Lieutenant Davy Davis, of the Pascagoula police department, said the police have been patrolling neighborhoods and have caught numerous looters. He said it's been "hectic" for local police, who have had no radio communication or phone lines. "We've never experienced this extent of complete chaos," he said. Lt. Davis said the police have also been assisting with water and ice distribution and in search-and-rescue efforts. Hundreds of people in Pascagoula, which has a population of about 27,000, were rescued. There have been two confirmed fatalities, he said.

On neighboring Crosby Ave., most houses stood intact, but the contents of many of them were on the curb or spread across the lawns, drying. John and Shirley Battley with the help of family and friends were cleaning out their house, which had been swamped with water on Monday. The Battleys, who live in a neat one-story yellow brick house, during the storm had to break into a neighbor's house to go up to the second story as the waters rose. "You'd open the door and tree limbs would come into your house," she recalled. "The street was like a river."

The Battleys had stayed through the storm because they had done the same during previous storms, even the major hurricane Camille in 1969. Plus, early weather reports had said the main brunt of Katrina would hit New Orleans, they figured. Mr. Battley, a veterinarian, also had 50 cats and dogs to look after in his clinic, pets left by evacuees who were trying to provide the animals with shelter.

Mr. Battley rode his bike a little over a mile to his clinic on Monday afternoon, checking on the animals. Only one dog, an elderly Pekingese, had died, overcome by the heat. Mrs. Battley, a home health nurse, said everyone on their street had been accounted for, but that the company she works for had only been able to find 40% of its patients.

The Battleys say they have been relying on the help of family and friends, who have driven in from all over Mississippi and neighboring states. "We have had more generous people help us than you can believe," said Mr. Batteley. "We haven't really needed the government's help yet. We will. We're helping ourselves now."

Two houses down, Dianna Lane was packing up the surviving belongings of her parents' house of 35 years. Ms. Lane, who lives in Atlanta, who also said she hadn't seen any government deliveries of ice and water, but had heard that such supplies were being given out in other parts of town. But the Lanes had lost their cars during the storm. "We have no way of getting up there to get [the supplies]," she said.

About a mile away, right on the beach, Melanie Bosarge walked around what remained of her condomium. The condo had been part of a development -- five buildings with four condo units each. Only Ms. Bosarge's unit somehow survived. Paradoxically, the first floor of her unit was heavily damaged and unliveable, but the second story, though unreachable, seemed almost untouched. The picture window on that floor wasn't even cracked. Ms. Bosarge walked around trying to salvage residents' belongings that had survived the storm, including dishes, silver, photographs and an entirely unscathed bottle of red wine.

Friends from Gulf Shores, Ala., about three hours away, have been driving in to help every day. Finding a place to stay the night is difficult, she said, but she's decided to remain. "We need to be here helping people."

Ms. Bosarge's condo is in the shadow of the giant Northrup Grumman Ingalls shipyard, which dominates the local economy. The shipyard was badly damaged, which worries many local residents. Also, they say, they have been having trouble reaching the Federal Emergency Management Agency to begin applying for federal aid. Ms. Bosarge said she had called FEMA from her cell phone but halfway through the interview lost her signal. She said that on the telephone recording, the agency said people can register online. "It's like, OK, yeah, how?" she said.

Back on Crosby Ave., Ms. Lane said she had seen FEMA representatives going to the house across the street, but that they wouldn't come to look at her parents' house. Neighbor Ms. Battley said that residents who had gotten a visit from FEMA had called the agency before the storm, anticipating they might have damage. The agency apparently wasn't paying visits to neighbors who hadn't called in advance.

Old 09-02-2005, 11:45 PM   #1363
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
I can say the same about all of your recent posts myself.

Considering the fact that we're never going to agree with each other on anything (unless you're a closet Vikings fan), I would suggest that you not get your hopes up - you're not going to find much of what I say to be worthwhile, and I'm not going to find much of what you say to be worthwhile.

I'd like to get along with you, but I'm not trying to impress you or anyone else. I'm going to speak my mind, and just because you don't like my opinion doesn't mean it's any less valuable than your own.

I never claimed to be a web-angel. Far from it, I tend to fly off the handle on occasion, as any number of folks will attest (bastards ) but please take my point to heart, you're entitled to whatever opinion you want to have, you're not entitled however, to put your point out there on the end of a lance and intentionally be an asshole(this would be the definition of TROLLING). Its not necessary and ends up creating the opposite effect from what you'd hope.

I'm just suggesting that not being an asshole MIGHT cut back on the growing list of those who think you're nothing but an ignorant troll. Then again, if you ARE an ignorant troll, so be it =) enjoy your time, as it will be fairly short lived.

As for your comments being valuable? I doubt anything said in a barbed stab is ever truly valuable. Don't try to impress anyone, just stop being a raging ass and everything should actually settle itself out =)
Old 09-02-2005, 11:52 PM   #1364
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:

Actually I always have hope, I disagree with your husband pretty regulrly, but every now and then a small gleam of agreement pops in. So hope is not lost, at least on my end.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:58 PM   #1365
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
I never claimed to be a web-angel. Far from it, I tend to fly off the handle on occasion, as any number of folks will attest (bastards ) but please take my point to heart, you're entitled to whatever opinion you want to have, you're not entitled however, to put your point out there on the end of a lance and intentionally be an asshole(this would be the definition of TROLLING). Its not necessary and ends up creating the opposite effect from what you'd hope.

I'm just suggesting that not being an asshole MIGHT cut back on the growing list of those who think you're nothing but an ignorant troll. Then again, if you ARE an ignorant troll, so be it =) enjoy your time, as it will be fairly short lived.

As for your comments being valuable? I doubt anything said in a barbed stab is ever truly valuable. Don't try to impress anyone, just stop being a raging ass and everything should actually settle itself out =)
  1. You are not the final authority on what is or isn't a troll. So step off the soapbox already. Everyone here has an opinion, and just because hers isn't packaged they way you'd like it doesn't mean she can't share it.
  2. Knock off the foul language. If you've got a point to make, make it without the inflammatory vernacular. I'm quite sure my wife can hold her own in an argument, but I'm gonna get a little pissed if the filthy language directed at her doesn't stop.

Last edited by Franklinnoble : 09-03-2005 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:22 AM   #1366
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
As for mr-small-worths -sorry couldnt resist,afterall so many people amuse themselves by poking fun at my SN -comments... Id just like to ask him if he even bothered to watch the republican national convention, WHERE A DEMOCRAT stood up and jumped party lines after being disgusted by his fellow DEMOCRATIC Congressman's constant votes against defense spending in Iraq???
All I can say is thank GOD we flushed the "Johns!"
I hope you are joking with that 'Democrat stood up and jumped party lines' thing, because if you are serious you are so completely ignorant of politics that it would be completely worthless to have a discussion with you.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:39 AM   #1367
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Just a random FYI - Best Buy was soliciting relief donations at all checkouts tonight while we were there. I assume they're sending everything to the Red Cross, since they had their (the RC) phone number & slogan & stuff on all the little credit card/debit card machine screens.

As is Hastings Books, Music, and Videos. Althought they said flat out it was for the Red Cross.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:43 AM   #1368
Huckleberry
College Starter

Hey SkyDog -

I know you're reading this thread. Can we make the forum like a real-life Werewolf game? I volunteer to be put in the box if I can name 4 people to go with me. I already have 'em picked out and everything.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Old 09-03-2005, 12:46 AM   #1369
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
Hey SkyDog -

I know you're reading this thread. Can we make the forum like a real-life Werewolf game? I volunteer to be put in the box if I can name 4 people to go with me. I already have 'em picked out and everything.

You don't scare me. I've been to the box before.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:46 AM   #1370
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
For JIMGA (if he's still reading the thread) and all the other animal lovers...

Linky

[/size][/font]

I know that Texas is also taking in animals that have been saved. Mainly the Houston Animal Control, with donations of supllies from Dallas to help them out.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:46 AM   #1371
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

What's this talk of Giulliani taking over? I think he was surrounder by a good group of advisors. He's an average mayor at best.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:51 AM   #1372
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEMICAL SOLDIER
What's this talk of Giulliani taking over? I think he was surrounder by a good group of advisors. He's an average mayor at best.

Because for a day or two FOXNews had to ask every official in the hurricane area why there is no one like Giulliani on 9/11. Of course they would not listen to the answers of this, mainly that this is nothing like 9/11 in way too many ways.

So yeah, people have been pimping Giulliani a bunch the last couple days from what I have heard.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:54 AM   #1373
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Jim, well said.

What Bucc said.

Oh and as for the Capsicum drama. I first read Jesse Ewok's post, and thought to myself "What a moron" Point to one loon popping off, and attribute it, albeit indirectly, to conservatives. Too much. I nearly responded to it, then I read on and found Capsicum's. I said well "just another loon", and I wrote it off. I got over, just like I got over my impression that Jesse somehow gets a free pass for the inflamatory troll job that Cap responded to.

I agree with Cap's critics to a degree. Her posts are pretty rough, and that says nothing about the venom within some of them. She is honestly the first poster I've even considered ignoring.

That said, those of you who are wanting her banned/boxed, are stretching it. People have asked her to stop posting here. What the hell? Grow some thicker skin for goodness sakes. Move on.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:03 AM   #1374
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

While you probably can't believe it, I'm posting a video from Fox News of Shepard Smith reporting from New Orleans tonight. Ignore Geraldo Rivera's histrionics (though not the babies he holds) and watch Smith apparantly turn his back on Sean Hannity's spin. Interesting stuff.

Shepard Smith Reporting from New Orleans
Old 09-03-2005, 02:05 AM   #1375
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

And on a (dark humor) lighter note, here's Kanye West on tonight's telethon telling America that George Bush doesn't care about black people. Bonus points for Mike Myers' reaction.

Kanye West on Bush

Last edited by NoMyths : 09-03-2005 at 02:06 AM.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:21 AM   #1376
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMyths
And on a (dark humor) lighter note, here's Kanye West on tonight's telethon telling America that George Bush doesn't care about black people. Bonus points for Mike Myers' reaction.

Kanye West on Bush

Not exactly sure why you consider this to be on a 'lighter' note.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:35 AM   #1377
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Yeah, this thing got waayyyy outta control. With the edits and deletions, it is a little difficult to tell who was trolling, and who simply called the tune and paid the piper, so I'm sure some of you are getting lucky that I'm not handing out any suspensions for this thread. I am, however, closing it. There's another to talk non-politically about the impact on people at FOFC. If anyone jumps in that thread with their petty little agenda, I assure you that punishment will come quickly and harshly. My suggestion is this: if you want to talk about a specific issue related to the hurricane and/or relief effort, start a new thread about that specific issue.