Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-14-2006, 11:44 PM   #401
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

dola

and don't be an idiot and generalize TroyF. If you want to "hate" someone, don't generalize me as "all Pats fans." because that's just uneducated and lazy. hate me, don't abstract me into all Pats fans.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 11:44 PM   #402
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
who hates manning? and it has nothing to do with being a pats fan either. that has no bearing on it. i don't hate manning. i simply have yet to see him perform under pressure.

Yeah, I guess Mannings fucking lights-out performances in his playoff wins simply aren't pressure situations, right?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 11:46 PM   #403
st.cronin
General Manager

Peyton Manning is definitely a better actor than Tom Brady.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 11:47 PM   #404
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Yeah, I guess Mannings fucking lights-out performances in his playoff wins simply aren't pressure situations, right?
He's never won the big one. In college, in the pros. And he has been surrounded by better talent than some other QB's that have won (and i'm not strictly talking about Brady FWIW).

This is why many people dislike Manning BTW. Because Manning-<3ers play off like Manning is the best thing since sliced-bread and is completely infallible. When he clearly is not and he clearly has weaknesses.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:48 PM   #405
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
dola

and don't be an idiot and generalize TroyF. If you want to "hate" someone, don't generalize me as "all Pats fans." because that's just uneducated and lazy. hate me, don't abstract me into all Pats fans.

I used you to make a point. No, not ALL Pats fans act like that. but there are a ton who do. They act as though Manning hasn't done anything. Well, he has. He's won a tone of "pressure' games. he just can't get by the Patriots. Which, of course, until tonight, nobody else had in the playoffs either.

I stand by everything I said.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 11:50 PM   #406
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

fine. i'm done with this thread anyways. it's not at all constructive or a good use of my time to get into a cyber-pissing-contest / argument over stuff like this.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:50 PM   #407
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
He's never won the big one. In college, in the pros. And he has been surrounded by better talent than some other QB's that have won (and i'm not strictly talking about Brady FWIW).

This is why many people dislike Manning BTW. Because Manning-<3ers play off like Manning is the best thing since sliced-bread and is completely infallible. When he clearly is not and he clearly has weaknesses.

If you mean he hasn't won a championship, say it. If you say he hasn't won in pressure situations, you join the long line of assholes who (for some unknown reason) feel they need to bash Manning in order to show how good Brady is.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 11:51 PM   #408
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
BTW, fuck you Jobu if the Patriots have to play the Broncos in Denver again next year, regular season or playoffs.

"Yeah, it's rare when one team has to continually be the road team in a series that spans several years. That NEVER happens." - Peyton Manning
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:03 AM   #409
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

WOOOO! Thank you Denver!

I'm with Troy. I'm tired of the Pats fans (not all, mind, but a good number) who think their team couldn't be beat in the playoffs, Brady is the greatest QB of all time, and Belicheck is the best coach of all time. Hopefully this will teach them some humility. The reason that people hate the Yankees isn't because they keep winning, its because they are so arrogant and their fans have no humility. New England/Boston fans have gotten that way after the Pats and the Red Sox winning. Stop it! We used to like you better when you made fun of yourselves instead of complaining of a 'lack of respect' when people are picking your team over a team seeded higher!
Old 01-15-2006, 12:10 AM   #410
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Er.. we beat them at their house too.. remember the fourth down stop?
Old 01-15-2006, 12:18 AM   #411
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Er.. we beat them at their house too.. remember the fourth down stop?

One of the best games I've ever seen. I'll never forget that game.

Still, a majority of the games between the two teams in recent years has been with the Colts going to the Pats. I think every team has a group of games like that. Denver plays I think Denver has played the Jaguars three times after their Super Bowl wins, and they've all been in Jacksonville (including the last two seasons)

Just one of the quirks.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:23 AM   #412
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

yup.. just noted your from Troy.. hope you guys on to win it all, I dislike the Colts, but don't hate em, more like.. well.. it's like the New York-Boston Rivalry in baseball, with out the regionalistic aspect to it you know?
Old 01-15-2006, 12:38 AM   #413
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
yup.. just noted your from Troy.. hope you guys on to win it all, I dislike the Colts, but don't hate em, more like.. well.. it's like the New York-Boston Rivalry in baseball, with out the regionalistic aspect to it you know?

And without all the hearbreaking losses?

I'm truly torn next week. I want Indy to win a title. I'm sick of the Manning bashers. I also feel horribly for Tony Dungy and would love to see him have some success in this trying time.

On the other hand, I'll be cheering for the Broncos like I always do. If it is the Broncos/Colts matchup, I'll be ok either way after the game.

I'm happy Denver was the team to end the run of the Patriots. But I don't think for a second they are going to fall into mediocrity. The AFC is going to be loaded again next year. The Colts, Chargers, Jaguars, Steelers, Broncos, Chiefs, Patriots, Bengals (if Palmer returns). . . there are just some great teams there.

This conference is going to be incredibly tough for the foreseeable future.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:03 AM   #414
kingfc22
Head Coach

Just watched the NE game and boy did they gift wrap that one. Denver's defense was getting worked and their running game was non-existent yet they still won.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:11 AM   #415
kingfc22
Head Coach

I don't see Denver coming close to beating Indy if that is who they end up playing next week.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:11 AM   #416
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Congrats to the Broncos they played a hell of a game. I think they would have won regardless of the pass interference. You can't begrudge Denver the win, they made the plays when they had to, and the Pats definitely did not. Simple as that.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 01:55 AM   #417
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
Right there guys, exactly why I've hated the Patriots fans. that attitude. Manning is a great QB. a sensational QB. Who just happened to run into the Patriots defense and struggled to get by it. As if Brady would have been able to figure out Beli and Manning wouldn't have torched those Colts defenses.

If Plummer or Manning had made that Brady throw on the five tonight, Pats fans would be screaming about how much better their guy was. It wasn't Plummer or Manning this time. It was Brady on the road against a great defense struggling to put his team in the end zone and making the critical mistake.

Manning being Manning will probably beat Denver next week. And he probably would have beat NE as well. Because this year the TEAM happens to be better around him. It doesn't mean Manning is better and it doesn't mean Brady sucks. It just means the Colts are the best team in football this year. Nothing more, nothing less.

The Manning hatred by NE fans is just idiotic and i've never figured out what causes it. (other than them trying to show how great Tom Brady is, which is something they don't need to do anyway)

It's a personal distaste for Manning, either you feel one way or the other. I'll cheer for the Broncos anyway.

Last edited by Desnudo : 01-15-2006 at 01:55 AM.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 02:04 AM   #418
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
"Yeah, it's rare when one team has to continually be the road team in a series that spans several years. That NEVER happens." - Peyton Manning

Look up the number of home and away games for NE-Denver in the regular season and repost.

BTW, I don't understand anything negative between Broncos and Pats fans. To me, the better team won. The Patriots made critical, and I mean ER type, mistakes. The Broncos didn't make those mistakes and that's the sign of a better team. Cheers.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:26 AM   #419
Desnudo
Coordinator

And Ben Watson gets my Pats player of the game award.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:01 AM   #420
korme
Go Reds

Got to the party late... this is almost up there with SC losing to Texas... I am stunned- Tom Invincible Brady has lost a playoff game.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:11 AM   #421
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
It's a personal distaste for Manning, either you feel one way or the other. I'll cheer for the Broncos anyway.

Is this distaste based on facts? Just curious.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:44 AM   #422
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
Just watched the NE game and boy did they gift wrap that one. Denver's defense was getting worked and their running game was non-existent yet they still won.

Denver defense getting "worked?"

Exactly what game were you watching king? Denver pounded and confused Brady all night.

128 of his passing yards came on two completions, one of which happened with the Patriots trailing by three scores. The Patriots dominated on defense, but they got dominated on offense.

NE was 3/11 on third downs. 0/1 on fourth downs.

NE did gift wrap the game with the turnovers, but the Denver defense was in no way shape or form "getting worked"
Old 01-15-2006, 07:23 AM   #423
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Coming in late to the party, but:

1) That was a horrible pass interference call. I'd love to see Mike Pareira (sp?) come on the NFL network and try to talk his way out of it. Should have been offensive interference, no question. Not even close. I'm glad the game did not end up turning on this call like it looked like it might at the time it happened.

2) Agreed on the Bailey fumble, not anywhere near enough evidence to overturn that call. But fantastic hustle by Ben Watson to level him.

3) Defense played fantastic, holding a pretty good Broncos offense and running game in check most of the night. Even after getting jobbed by the refs on the PI call, they kept playing hard and didn't let it phase them.

4) Brady finally had a bad playoff game. I think Denver was there for the plucking, but he let himself get rattled and get off. Missed too many open receivers, that bad pick to Bailey, and just wasn't in synch much of the night.

5) When even Troy Brown is mishandling a punt, your team is in trouble.

6) Congrats to the Broncos for playing hard and continuing to push against the Pats defense even when being frustrated by them, and for creating and taking advantage of some critical turnovers. I think Jake Plummer quieted a lot of critics tonight, as he could just as easily have started throwing picks when the offense came down on his shoulders with the running game going nowhere. He definitely outplayed Brady tonight.

I think I'm rooting for Indy now from the AFC, 'cause Dungy is a class act and deserves a Super Bowl trip. But I've got to pull for Carolina to win it all...

P.S. Those of you who like to bash "Pats fans" can kiss my grits. EVERY team has fans that talk too much trash. Deal with it and don't paint everyone with the same brush. The Pats might have a few more than most thanks to the long, lean years with only occasional success, but that by no means is indicative of the group as a whole.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:28 AM   #424
Raiders Army
Coordinator

TroyF, previously in the season you mentioned the fact that Denver's defense is pretty good in confusing QBs (I think it was the first time Oakland played them). I think a lot of Tom Brady's performance had to do with that. What is it specifically? Is it the pressure they get with their front four? Is it the fact that their LBs are so freaking fast? Or is it some combination of a bunch of things?

Do you think they'll be able to confuse Peyton as well?
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:01 AM   #425
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
P.S. Those of you who like to bash "Pats fans" can kiss my grits. EVERY team has fans that talk too much trash. Deal with it and don't paint everyone with the same brush. The Pats might have a few more than most thanks to the long, lean years with only occasional success, but that by no means is indicative of the group as a whole.

I suppose it is a credit to the team that they've been so successful that their fans have annoyed everyone else this much. We'll see how it goes when the wheels finally come off that wagon. If you're going to dish it out the way a lot of Pats fans have been for a few years now, then you've really got to take it when you're no longer winning the big games.

I hate most how everyone that has been part of the Patriots' run is brilliant and best at their job in the world, while everyone else is a horrible person with no talent that is one step from working at Walmart. That's the sort of thing that really riles me. The most obvious thing is how every QB that has played, or does currentl play, for a Pats' rival is always portrayed as someone that has no character (bad person) and/or is overrated (lucky, surrounded by talent that makes them look better than they are, etc).
Old 01-15-2006, 08:02 AM   #426
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Look up the number of home and away games for NE-Denver in the regular season and repost.

BTW, I don't understand anything negative between Broncos and Pats fans. To me, the better team won. The Patriots made critical, and I mean ER type, mistakes. The Broncos didn't make those mistakes and that's the sign of a better team. Cheers.

I have nothing against the Pats and their fans, to be honest. I would have been rooting for them last night had they not been playing my favorite team. The point with wha I posted was that the Colts played like 7 straight games or somrthing along thoe lines at Indy the past few years between regular season and playoffs, and I didn't hear any Indy fans bitching about that.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:51 AM   #427
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I'm rooting for the Panthers. Always liked that team since their Super Bowl run. Not a Fox fan, but I respect the guy.

I don't like Manning because annoys the hell out of me on the field, nothing personal. I don't like the Colts because they are a bunch of whiny bitches. We should start a pool on what they'll whine to the league about if they happen to lose. That's about it.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 09:24 AM   #428
Riggins44
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061
I'm rooting for the Panthers. Always liked that team since their Super Bowl run. Not a Fox fan, but I respect the guy.

I don't like Manning because annoys the hell out of me on the field, nothing personal. I don't like the Colts because they are a bunch of whiny bitches. We should start a pool on what they'll whine to the league about if they happen to lose. That's about it.

I'll be rooting for the Panthers from here on out too. I enjoy watching Steve Smith and the Carolina front four. I haven't got to see that Bears defense all year though. Excited to see them play too.
Riggins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 09:33 AM   #429
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:

What specifically annoys you? Does anyother QB in the league do the same things? Do they annoy you just as much?

What do the Colts whine about? What have they whined about this year? What did they whine about last year? If you're referring to the holding of receivers, there is little doubt by even Patriot fans that they got away with some blatant holding at times. It was rationalized away because the refs did not call it, but it was holding nonetheless. Had it been the other way around, the complaints would have been the same.

EDIT... I'm not trying to pick on you or single you out. I am just very curious. My experience has been that people who make those sorts of statements have a bias against Peyton Manning and are much harsher on him than any other QB in the league. That most of the time these opinions don't hold water under analysis and the same things could be said about their favorite QB by others.

Last edited by Tekneek : 01-15-2006 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:21 AM   #430
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
I suppose it is a credit to the team that they've been so successful that their fans have annoyed everyone else this much. We'll see how it goes when the wheels finally come off that wagon. If you're going to dish it out the way a lot of Pats fans have been for a few years now, then you've really got to take it when you're no longer winning the big games.

You mean like how everyone has used the phrase "Bungles" for years and then started griping this year when Cincy finally got a chance to gloat? My problem is that teams like the Pats up until 2001 and the Bengals up until this year (and New Orleans right now) take a lot of junk, then become good, then everyone gets mad when their fans start throwing some of what they've been taking back at everyone else.

In other words, you guys are the ones who can't take what you've been shovelin'

I'll gladly take criticism of the Pats. Offense and special teams made some very un-Bellichik/Brady/Pats mistakes, and they paid for it. I feel really bad for the defense who played a heck of a game, really only surrendering the one field goal (1 field goal and 3 TDs given up off 3 turnovers and one pathetic blown call). I think New England had to do a lot of patchwork this season, and has some work to do in the offseason. They really need the magic to come back this offseason to overcome some of this past offseason's mistakes (Chad Brown, Monty Biesel, Duane Starks).

I've gained a lot of respect for Peyton Manning this season, and would have no problem with him representing the AFC. My problems over the past several seasons were due to everyone annointing him the second coming without him ever having WON anything (and immediately annointing his brother the same). Regardless of what he does this postseason, going 13-0 to start THIS season convinced me.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:34 AM   #431
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Just Manning's mannerisms on the field pre-snap, I can't imagine you don't know what I'm talking about. It's painful to watch. I don't know of any other quarterback who delays the snap and flails around as much. It works for him, so that's that. Just bugs me .

Polian has a in with the NFL and makes use of it, beyond just the cornerbacks playing physical. Every few weeks I read a different thing. Other teams may do the same, but the Colts get more press because they are good team every year.

Very quick search brought up this from the OOTP boards: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...p/t-68940.html. I suppose I could keep digging, don't really feel like it though.

Old 01-15-2006, 10:48 AM   #432
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Very quick search brought up this from the OOTP boards: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...p/t-68940.html. I suppose I could keep digging, don't really feel like it though.

Sounds like that is about money. I didn't know that was the sort of whining you were talking about. Over the years a lot of executives and owners have whined about the money thing. If they had not been, I doubt the salary cap comes into existence. Maybe this really bugs you, but it doesn't bug me that much. I wouldn't care if every President of every NFL franchise was bitching about money, to be honest.

EDIT... I also think everything Peyton does is a big part of their offensive system and how they communicate changes to the wideouts who may not be able to hear what he is saying. Sorgi does the same stuff when he is in the game. I guess you're annoyed with them both AND the offensive coordinator.

Last edited by Tekneek : 01-15-2006 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:03 AM   #433
Huckleberry
College Starter

Completely neutral fan here that watched the game just to see some football. I have two observations.

One is addressed by my previous post on this thread. It was funny to see Brady choke along with Brown and Vinatieri. Goes to show the ludicrous nature of labeling guys superclutch or chokers. It happens.

Two is that I thought the interference was a good call. In fact, I was looking for the flag as soon as the ball was past the players. You absolutely can't take a route that cuts off the receiver like that. I know this because the Cowboys got burned on it in a big game once. You cut off the receiver, it's interference, even if "you beat him to the spot". Samuel interfered. Stop crying about it.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 11:07 AM   #434
Daimyo
College Starter

Its hilarious to hear Pats fans complaining about having to play Denver on the road all the time. When was the last time the Pats played the Colts in Indy? (I think regular season 2003, which means that last four have been in NE)

As a Colt's fan I'm a bit mixed about this game. I hate the Pats, but I was lsort of hoping they'd have to come to the Dome next week.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 11:15 AM   #435
Huckleberry
College Starter

As Troy said, the home/road thing is a quirk. In the early-to-mid '90s, the Packers played at Dallas something like 7 times in a row.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 11:34 AM   #436
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I also think everything Peyton does is a big part of their offensive system and how they communicate changes to the wideouts who may not be able to hear what he is saying. Sorgi does the same stuff when he is in the game. I guess you're annoyed with them both AND the offensive coordinator.
I didn't say he does it for no reason, I said it worked for him. It just annoys me, I'm sure there are other QB's that occasionally make the same changes at the line he does and do it a little bit more subdued. He just makes the changes every play and does it like he's on crack. There's not much to argue about. I consider it an eye sore watching him play, the reasons for it don't really matter to me. There is no depth to this and nothing to read into.

Old 01-15-2006, 11:41 AM   #437
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
As Troy said, the home/road thing is a quirk. In the early-to-mid '90s, the Packers played at Dallas something like 7 times in a row.

I actually had co-workers bitch about that when I lived up there. They insisted that the NFL was hosing the Packers and it was unfair(being that they couldn't beat the Cowboys in Texas for sometime).

I had to explain the scheduling and how it was about where the teams finished in their divisions that led to the schedule.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:08 PM   #438
Craptacular
College Starter

"Nick Harper will start despite the three stitches in his knee after an accident last night."

Accident??
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:11 PM   #439
Icy
Pro Starter

Miller 54 yard receiving already. I love watching a good TE. The big guy running to catch a pass, so hard to tackle and hitting the defense.

Last edited by Icy : 01-15-2006 at 12:12 PM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:12 PM   #440
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craptacular
"Nick Harper will start despite the three stitches in his knee after an accident last night."

Accident??

His wife whipped his ass didn't she?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5249386

Last edited by astrosfan64 : 01-15-2006 at 12:13 PM.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:13 PM   #441
st.cronin
General Manager

What exactly happened with Harper? I saw something about 'assault' and 'battery' and 'domestic disturbance.' Did his wife beat him with a battery?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:14 PM   #442
vtbub
College Starter

Quick 6...7

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:15 PM   #443
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Excellent drive by Pitt.

Crowd noise had no effect, yet.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:15 PM   #444
muns
Pro Starter

Wow Steelers looked good on that drive
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:16 PM   #445
henry296
College Starter

I think Ben's thumb is much better than the last game.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:17 PM   #446
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Colts beware, Joey Porter is not going to think. That could be dangerous.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:17 PM   #447
Craptacular
College Starter

His wife is jailed for battery and criminal recklessness, and Enburg simply says accident. There was a fight, and she cut him with a knife.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:18 PM   #448
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
What exactly happened with Harper? I saw something about 'assault' and 'battery' and 'domestic disturbance.' Did his wife beat him with a battery?

Wife cut him with a knife.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:19 PM   #449
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craptacular
His wife is jailed for battery and criminal recklessness, and Enburg simply says accident. There was a fight, and she cut him with a knife.

As you said.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:19 PM   #450
henry296
College Starter

And Harper himself was arrested for domestic violence in the summer.