Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-22-2006, 09:28 PM   #101
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
The top four guys (Chris, Ace, Elliot, and Taylor) are head and shoulders above the top 4 females in talent and uniqueness. I would not be surprised at all if the top four isn't four guys. The guys are about 8 deep talent wise compared to 4 deep in the girls (5 if you really stretch it).

I agree. I think at the very least the final 3 are likely to be guys. I hope Taylor can make it far. From what Simon said about the feedback he has been hearing, I'm thinking Taylor has a better chance. Everyone I talk to, likes him.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:44 PM   #102
Joe
Pro Starter

wow, MUCH better than last night.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:52 PM   #103
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I'm going to go against conventional wisdom once again and say that tonight was excruciating. I had a hard time just sticking through the entire show. More than once I said to my wife that it just wouldn't be worth it sitting through the entire season with this collection of wannabes.

Paul Abdul is clearly on some wonderful menagerie of medications. Randy Jackson just likes young guys, apparently. And even Simon, who started out on the right track, finally cracked and gave in to the hype.

So, here's part 2 of round one of the latest American Idol, in which was quite a long, long way from American Idyll tonight.

1. Ace Young. He missed a couple of notes, but he has a stage presence, and picked a very tough song which he executed very well. Definitely the exception to the evening. I think he has at least a 50/50 chance of winning the entire competition. Score of 93.

2. Chris Daughtry. He has an excellent voice. My only problem was that he gave a near identical rendition to the original. No question he's in the next round. Score of 85.

3. Gedeon McKinney. Very nice execution and stage presence. He's a bit of a funny kid with the speech patterns, may be a bit of a male Fantasia there. But more likeable. Score of 80.

4. Jose Penala. Give him credit for hitting some tough notes in falsetto. The whole program just didn't come together for me, it was a long way from being presentable. Note the gap here from 3rd to 4th. Score of 65.

5. Elliott Yamin. I'll also give him credit for degree of difficulty. But it was a bit painful to the ear. I thought he was consistently flat and very overrated. Score of 63.

6. Patrick Hall. I was bored. When he was done, I was thinking bottom two. Little did I know it would get worse. Much, much worse. A very ordinary rendition. Score of 62.

7. Taylor Hicks. Not one damned note was in tune. Not a one. I don't care how likeable he is, he has to be the most overrated contestant in history. Score of 60.

8. David Radford. Yes, we get it, you can croon to Queen, too. Is that THE most karaoked song in history? He did okay with it, but there's a reason you can not sit through a night of karaoke without hearing that song. Everyone can sing it, or croon it, or doo-wop it, or whatever. Score of 58.

9. Kevin Covais. This kid is affected beyond human comprehension. He'd probably do the vibratto thing when singing "He's a Jolly Good Fellow" to a classmate at graduation. And get punched in the stomach. He also sounds remarkably like a muppet. Score of 53.

10. Will Makar. Just a very weak performance. Should have been last, but it wasn't. Score of 44.

11. Bobby Bennett. It's good to know what Horatio Sanz would sound like if he made a joke out of Barry Manilow. Score of 39.

12. Bucky Covington. Okay, I hate Skynyrd. I admit it. To me, it's monotone monotony. He made the Skynyrd rendition sound good in comparison. Score of 35.

Prediction: Bobby Bennett and Will Makar exit stage left. Personally, I don't care - there's no way the audience could screw this one up unless they take out one of the top three.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:58 PM   #104
Joe
Pro Starter

your list reminds me... the lisp that Kevin Covais has is REALLY annoying and makes me cringe when he sings
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:05 PM   #105
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Ace was good. Not the most challenging song or anything, but he certainly has a presence.

Chris was fine, although as noted he was very close to the original.

The rest of the guys...strictly blah.

I think the girls are much stronger than the guys this year, in contrast to those who say the guys are stronger.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:25 PM   #106
Rizon
Pro Starter

I'm just not feeling it this year. I watched Season 3 religiously, and Season 4 religiously until about the final 8 or so, then it got boring as hell. This year is boring as hell right from the get-go and I don't think it's going to improve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:26 PM   #107
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

it helps that this is the first year i've watched a single minute of it
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:27 PM   #108
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Wow. Are we watching the same show? Because I personally prefer to listen to women singing over men, and a hot woman singer is heaven. But, this group of women are no match for the guys. Where Jim is getting Taylor not hitting a note or Chris being too much like the orginal is beyond me. I'll just say wow again.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:30 PM   #109
Easy Mac

I think the Solecismic ratings place a large emphasis on attractiveness.

Overall, the guys were a lot better than the girls, which isn't saying much. Ace, Chris and Taylor were the only ones I really liked. Everyone else sounded off. I thought Sway took a chance, which was nice, but that's not what you need to do to start off the competition, plus he sounded like shit. When he actually sung with his normal singing voice, he sounded damn good. Bucky, Will, David, Elliot, Patrick, and Kevin sounded horrible. Bobby made me laugh, and I have 80 cousins like him, so he should stick around another week. Even so, the girls shouldn't even be in the same competition as the guys. Hell, Ace may be more attractive than everyone one but Carrie Underwood, II.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:45 PM   #110
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
Wow. Are we watching the same show? Because I personally prefer to listen to women singing over men, and a hot woman singer is heaven. But, this group of women are no match for the guys. Where Jim is getting Taylor not hitting a note or Chris being too much like the orginal is beyond me. I'll just say wow again.

Yeah, usually I agree with Jim, but I just don't see his comments about Taylor. My wife studied voice for a few years back in the day, and she thought he sounded pretty good with just a few notes slightly off.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:09 PM   #111
jbmagic
Pro Starter

In this undated photo released by Maxim Online, "American Idol" contestant Becky O'Donohue, right, poses alongside her twin sister, Jessie, in this image on the Maxim magazine Web site. "American Idol" contestant Becky O'Donohue just doubled her exposure. The aspiring singer is featured alongside her twin sister, Jessie, in a series of sexy photos on the Maxim magazine Web site. The photos were taken two years ago for the magazine's online fantasy baseball game, said Jordan Burchette, executive editor of Maxim Online. (AP Photo/Maxim Online, Mark Mann)

jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:13 PM   #112
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I'm taking more heat (at home, too) for the Taylor comments than just about any I've ever made. I did study music for awhile, but it was a long time ago. I have what's known as perfect pitch. I felt nearly every note was just slightly off. Maybe it's his style. He'll certainly be around for a long time, so there will be many other chances to pick up on it. I could be wrong on this.

I don't count attractiveness in my evaluation. Otherwise Stevie would never be last among the women - she's very cute. I don't know why I liked Kellie's performance so much. I am not a country fan. Maybe there's a purity of tone that seems like it will translate to the type of rock that more shows off a voice. Maybe I'll be disappointed with her down the road.

Anyway, here are my odds, so far, of winning. These do take appearance into account.

Ace Young: 1-1
Paris Bennett: 3-1
Kellie Pickler: 5-1
Chris Daughtry: 6-1
Katharine McPhee: 7-1
Lisa Tucker: 7-1
Mandisa Hundley: 9-1
Taylor Hicks: 11-1
Melissa McGhee: 25-1
Gedeon McKinney: 25-1
Elliott Yamin: 25-1
Jose Penala: 50-1
Brenna Gethers: 50-1
Field: 99-1
Old 02-23-2006, 12:02 AM   #113
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
I did study music for awhile, but it was a long time ago. I have what's known as perfect pitch.

For some reason, this made me laugh out loud.

My wife delivered a good line about Taylor Hicks tonight, while we were watching. She said he had a Tim McGraw voice, but a Vince Gill body. Funny, yet spot on.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:17 AM   #114
Schmidty
Coordinator

Tayler Hicks is the best singer on American Idol. Ever.

He's the first person I've ever seen on the show who I'd buy his CD. And I'd pre-order it.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:24 AM   #115
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
7. Taylor Hicks. Not one damned note was in tune. Not a one. I don't care how likeable he is, he has to be the most overrated contestant in history. Score of 60.

I respect your opinion, but as a singer who has been in two bands (one very successful on the local scene in Grand Rapids), and who has been in many "choirs", and who is the curent asisstant music director at my church, you are unbelievably wrong.

It doesn't make me mad, it just makes me discount your opinion a little more.

The man is phenominal.

Last edited by Schmidty : 02-23-2006 at 12:50 AM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:48 AM   #116
Schmidty
Coordinator

Dola.

I think one of the "problems" his style could cause people is that it challenges them much more than the vanilla modern R&B/country/stevie wonder wanna be/pop stuff that is so prevalent on this show and in mainstream culture.

I'm not saying people should automatically like it, but I think they should respect it and it's different tones, melodies, etc. before they make judgements in comparison with their normal comfort zone music. It's like an alternative fanatic saying that Thelonious Monk is off key. Now, I'm not comparing Hicks with Monk by any means, but I think people understand what I mean.

Last edited by Schmidty : 02-23-2006 at 12:52 AM.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:17 AM   #117
Schmidty
Coordinator

Triple Dola.

I have been bothered for awhile by who Taylor reminds me of, and then a few minutes ago, I figured it out -Michael McDonald. Now, I've always thought of him as cheesy, but after listening to multiple mp3 samples of him, he's amazing. Taylor is extremely similar, although he's about 2-3 octaves higher.

This is cool, because now I might have found an R&B singer I actually like. I'll be checking out McDonald more.

Last edited by Schmidty : 02-23-2006 at 01:18 AM.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:29 AM   #118
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
I did study music for awhile, but it was a long time ago. I have what's known as perfect pitch.

i haven't watched the show enough to know whether this was a clever reference to some dumb statement someone made in the show, or if it's a solecismic original
Old 02-23-2006, 06:24 AM   #119
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty

He's the first person I've ever seen on the show who I'd buy his CD. And I'd pre-order it.

But what if it were named "Maximum Football?"
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 07:56 AM   #120
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Triple Dola.

I have been bothered for awhile by who Taylor reminds me of, and then a few minutes ago, I figured it out -Michael McDonald. Now, I've always thought of him as cheesy, but after listening to multiple mp3 samples of him, he's amazing. Taylor is extremely similar, although he's about 2-3 octaves higher.

This is cool, because now I might have found an R&B singer I actually like. I'll be checking out McDonald more.

He reminds me of George Clooney for some reason. But I like him anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:22 AM   #121
Cuckoo
College Starter

I have to go with the common opinion here and say that Taylor is good. I think he'll go far, with a large part of his success due to being so different than anything this show has seen.

I have to go against common opinion and agree with Jim (and a couple others). I think the girls were better than the guys. Or, perhaps more precisely, the top girls were better than the top guys. Ace, Chris and Taylor were the only ones I thought were very good last night. The others were just... eh...

But putting three against three (Paris, Lisa and Katherine vs. Ace, Chris and Taylor), I think at this point I'd say one of the girls wins. That's a fairly solid top 6 though.

So are Ace and Becky the "prettiest" contestants ever to be on this show? Those two ought to hook up just for symmetry.

Last edited by Cuckoo : 02-23-2006 at 08:22 AM.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:42 AM   #122
Thomkal
Head Coach

Like Jim and a couple others, I thought the girls outshone the boys overall. While the top couple guys might be stronger than the top girls, the rest of the boys were pretty mediocre to bad to me. And unlike the girls, the younger guys all suffered.

Some I liked:

Ace-The clear man to beat at the moment-I liked Randy's comments about him in comparison to some from previous seasons (aka Constantine)

Chris-Always thought he'd make the Top 6, and last night didn't change that. Needs to work on stage performance though.

Elliott-The underdog I think. I've liked him since the beginning too and there wasn't much buzz about him coming into the competition last night. Also needs to work on stage performance.

Next Level Down:

"Sway"-I put him here because it was incredibly risky to sing that song that way. I didn't particularly like it, but he showed versatility and some potential. Which is more than I thought of him before last night.

Taylor Hicks-I'm with Jim somewhat. His voice was better than I remember it from the auditions and Hollywood week, but he's almost painful to watch. And I'm surprised the judges haven't commented about it really. I better get used to it though cause he's in the Top 6 for sure.

Patrick Hall-Bad song choice + 1st to sing has me worried he'll survive this round. Which is a shame because he has some potential I think.

David Radford-Yeah his performance was a bit over the top, but I liked it, and his voice sounded good for the most part. He showed personality, which is good, because he was reminding me of red-headed John from a season or two back who had no personality. I hope he survives this round, because I enjoy watching him sing.

Gedeon-He actually surprised me with his performance and voice. I really didn't like him much before last night and combined with his somewhat arrogant personality, I was hoping he'd be gone this week. But he can stay another week now. Great song choice for him.

Bucky-Well he's about as redneck as they come I think, but I liked him better than expected. He'd probably fit in well with Bo's band. Like him to pick a song where I can understand the words better though.

Need to go:

Kevin Covais-Ugh. Looked like a deer caught in the headlights and his performance suffered from it. Can't believe Paula and Randy liked him so much. But his "cuteness" will probably save him from being voted out for a week or two. A case where the judges should have said no from the beginning with encouragement to try again in a couple years.

Will Makar-Another youngster who probably shouldn't have made it to Hollywood let alone the Top 12. I like his voice better than Kevin's though.

Bobby Bennett-Cringed when I heard the song choice and cringed all the way through it. How did this guy make it to the Top 12? Sounded more like he should be singing in Vegas or at bar mitzvah's and weddings. Seems like a nice fun guy, but boy that was way over the top.

I think Will and Bobby will go, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Patrick or David as one of the two, which would be a shame.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:23 AM   #123
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Yeah, the perfect pitch thing is a bit silly. I remember some old music teacher making a big deal about it, but ultimately it's only a parlor trick. I'm just very sensitive to very small changes in pitch.

I'll definitely listen much more closely to Taylor next week. I'm aware that I'm in a very small minority in thinking he was terrible last night. I had passed off Simon's reaction to simple weariness in disagreeing with Paula's crack-induced lovefest for each competitior. I can only imagine his right arm is covered with bruises by the end of a season.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:18 AM   #124
path12
Coordinator

I really liked Taylor and thought Ace was good, but overall put me in the camp that felt the girls were stronger than the boys. I could pick out 6 girls pretty easily (I can't remember names right now) but would have trouble after the top 3 guys or so.

A real plus for me was skipping all the audition crap, so this week was my first time to see any of them. That makes it much more interesting for me. I'm done with the auditions.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:06 PM   #125
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Did they drop the bottom two last year? I don't remember that happening. I did miss the first week's show last year, though.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:17 PM   #126
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast
Did they drop the bottom two last year? I don't remember that happening. I did miss the first week's show last year, though.

If I remember right, yeah, they did. I believe like this year there were two or three shows of just boys and girls and two dropped each time until there were six of each left.....
Old 02-23-2006, 04:24 PM   #127
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12
If I remember right, yeah, they did. I believe like this year there were two or three shows of just boys and girls and two dropped each time until there were six of each left.....

I also remember it that way. As far as the early format, it seems exactly the same as last year. 3 weeks of getting rid of the bottom 2 boys and girls until they are down to just their top 12 overall.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:56 PM   #128
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Watching American Idol, I sometimes wonder if I'm hearing completely different things from the judges. Granted I have no musical training but watching it from the perspective of a consumer, I have no idea where the judges come from.

Girls: I liked the performances (note I say performances) of Becky, Catherine and Lisa Tucker. The others were very meh. And for some reason, Paris Bennet really irritates me.

Guys: Ace, Chris, Taylor, Bucky and Elliot did well I thought. Guys who irritated me were Will (uggh, irritating), Kevin (agree with Simon, 90 year olds would like him), Gadeon (he can sing but his smile really bothers me and he's way too cocky) and Bobby (didn't appear to be serious at all).

And Paula needs to be booted off the show to be honest. I don't think she said one negative thing the entire show and everyone was a winner in her eyes. Maybe she's paid to do that.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:09 PM   #129
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by law90026
And Paula needs to be booted off the show to be honest. I don't think she said one negative thing the entire show and everyone was a winner in her eyes. Maybe she's paid to do that.

There's always gotta be a good cop.

Last edited by path12 : 02-23-2006 at 10:09 PM. Reason: i don't speak good.
path12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:12 PM   #130
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by law90026
Girls: I liked the performances (note I say performances) of Becky, Catherine and Lisa Tucker. The others were very meh. And for some reason, Paris Bennet really irritates me.

Guys: Ace, Chris, Taylor, Bucky and Elliot did well I thought. Guys who irritated me were Will (uggh, irritating), Kevin (agree with Simon, 90 year olds would like him), Gadeon (he can sing but his smile really bothers me and he's way too cocky) and Bobby (didn't appear to be serious at all).

I'm not a big Paris fan. I think she has a really good voice in certain genres but, the times I've heard her sing more modern stuff, I just haven't been impressed... I've been more impressed with Lisa than Paris. At this point, I'd put the final 6 at Chris, Lisa, Katharine, Taylor, Ace and Elliot. Kevin is this years John Stephens with a better voice.

Even odds that he used up the hand lotion in the bedroom after all the girls pinched his cheeks...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:21 PM   #131
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
Even odds that he used up the hand lotion in the bedroom after all the girls pinched his cheeks...

Who would blame him? Sixteen and a geek surrounded by girls his age to 25......he'll be replaying that for years.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:30 PM   #132
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12
Who would blame him? Sixteen and a geek surrounded by girls his age to 25......he'll be replaying that for years.

Hell no.. not ripping on him. If I was him, I would have been calling up room service to bring me more.

To borrow from Chappelle, I would have beat my dick like it owed me money.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:46 PM   #133
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
Hell no.. not ripping on him. If I was him, I would have been calling up room service to bring me more.

To borrow from Chappelle, I would have beat my dick like it owed me money.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:23 AM   #134
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:

I strongly agree that he is the strongest out of the males. He sings with much more passion and flair than the other performers and his voice is also the most unique. He doesn't sound like a copycat of anyone. He better make it to the finals, but I have a feeling more people will pull for Ace or Chris.

And Paris should get much more credit than she is getting. She is by far the one to beat on the girl's side. She has better command of the stage and the range of her voice than the others. I am still shocked that she could sing that way considering that she talks like a southern Minnie Mouse.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:31 AM   #135
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Had he ever learnt, he should have been a great proficient.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 12:54 AM   #136
Schmidty
Coordinator

Based on pure singing ability (which is most important to me), here are my top 4 for each sex:

Men

1. Taylor Hicks
2. Elliot Yamin
3. Chris Daughtry (even though I don't like his style)
4. Ace (even though I dislike him)

Women

1. Lisa Tucker (Simply a star)
2. Paris Bennett
3. Melissa McGhee (Iffy on this one, but shes talented)
4. Katharine McPhee (Good, but not sold on the cuteness factor)

My top 3 overall

1. Taylor Hicks
2. Lisa Tucker
3. Paris Bennett

Honorable Mention: Elliot Yamin - Would be #3, but he needs to work on his image (teeth)

Last edited by Schmidty : 02-24-2006 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:09 AM   #137
Cuckoo
College Starter

Did you just put Bucky Covington in your top 4? Wow, you must have watched something different than what I watched. I'm surprised he wasn't cut last night - probably should've been if you ask me.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:24 PM   #138
revrew
Team Chaplain

Put me down as a Taylor fan. First time I heard the (inevitable comparison to Joe Cocker) voice, it was also the first time I said of any contestant, "I would buy his CD no matter what he was singing."

That said, his rendition of LeVon, while a good song choice, wasn't his best performance. He needed to be more melodic than he was.

As for the girls...um...I don't care. Not about a one of them. Mandisa impressed me perhaps the most, because she sang well, performed well, and has personality. The best voices in the group (i.e. Lisa) seemed too trained and not actually the "diamond in the rough" find that makes an Idol contestant truly appealing. The lesser voices lacked performance or originality (Kelly is cute, but how's she really any different from 100 other country singers?). As time goes on, however, I expect the more talented young ladies (i.e. Paris) to develop and give the guys a run for their money.

BTW, I very often agree wholeheartedly with Simon. Not always, but usually.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:33 PM   #139
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
Did you just put Bucky Covington in your top 4? Wow, you must have watched something different than what I watched. I'm surprised he wasn't cut last night - probably should've been if you ask me.

Yeah, I was making pizza and just remembered that he was pretty good in auditions. I just watched it on Tivo again, and you're right that he wasn't very good. I don't think he should have gone last night, as I think there were 2-3 worse than him, but he definitely shouldn't be in my top4. Gonna edit it.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:02 PM   #140
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Yeah, I was making pizza and just remembered that he was pretty good in auditions. I just watched it on Tivo again, and you're right that he wasn't very good. I don't think he should have gone last night, as I think there were 2-3 worse than him, but he definitely shouldn't be in my top4. Gonna edit it.

Yeah, I thought he was better in auditions too - although the guy's dumber than a rock. You're probably right; he wasn't the worst. But I'd put him in the lower half of the guys easily.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:26 PM   #141
Buccaneer
Head Coach

If Taylor reminds anyone of Micheal McDonald, then I could understand the dislike. McDonald was one of the worse lead singers of a major band ever, imo.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 09:01 PM   #142
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I was in Orlando at an insurance symposium/job hunt, so I missed this thread. I did get to see the shows, though. I thought Taylor had an off-night, and was still better than anyone on the stage. I love - freaking love - his tourette's syndrome yelps. I'm praying for him to give us a spontaneous "GODDAMMUTHERFUCKERWOOPYEAH!" during a live show. That would be the best TV moment of my life.

I was bummed to see Becky go. She's a maybelline girl waiting to happen. Apparently she sings, too.

Last year I fucking hated that Barbra Streisand wannabe chick and wished she would get canned every single week. Well, I've got my Mikalah this year...and it's Sway. First of all, what a fucking stupid gimmick - a one-name nickname, and a stupid one at that. Second, the guy can't sing. That song he sang...I'll admit that's not my scene AT ALL, but I fail to hear the difference between well done falsetto and the chipmunks. I heard a couple of people do the same thing during auditions that the judges laughed at. And the word "pimp" flew off my lips about 5 minutes before Simon uttered it. What a joke of a contestant he is. I can't find one likeable quality about him. He's even too short to take seriously. I think he was destined to be on my shitlist, if his parents subjected him to that piece of garbage song as an infant.

I can't wait for Bucky to go. Looking at his teeth makes me wince. And Kevin Covais is so bad that he's going to be around for a long time. I almost made him my Mikalah 2006, but I knew I would be destined to disappointment as he continued to sail through the voting.

Ace should just quit AI and join the next version of Backstreet Boys/98 Degrees/NSync. That's about all he is. Yes, he's good looking, and yes, he can sing. I'm thoroughly underwhelmed.

That Gedeon guy...he's right up there with Sway and Kevin on my unlikeable list. And once again, Simon and I were reading each other's minds when he commented about the guy's smile. His facial features are too hard, the lines too strongly drawn. He just doesn't look quite right. And I can't believe they gave him a free pass for singing Shout. That was weak. You'll be singing standards for the rest of the competition, pick something a little less of a staple next time. Sheesh.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-24-2006 at 09:02 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 09:09 PM   #143
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
If Taylor reminds anyone of Micheal McDonald, then I could understand the dislike. McDonald was one of the worse lead singers of a major band ever, imo.

I had never heard of the guy before last night, and I liked his stuff from his "Motown" album. It was unique and heartfelt.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:13 PM   #144
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
That Gedeon guy...he's right up there with Sway and Kevin on my unlikeable list. And once again, Simon and I were reading each other's minds when he commented about the guy's smile. His facial features are too hard, the lines too strongly drawn. He just doesn't look quite right. And I can't believe they gave him a free pass for singing Shout. That was weak. You'll be singing standards for the rest of the competition, pick something a little less of a staple next time. Sheesh.

I totally agree. That guy is like nails on a chalkboard.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:18 PM   #145
Ksyrup

Quote:
I had never heard of the guy before last night, and I liked his stuff from his "Motown" album. It was unique and heartfelt.

Wait...are you saying you've never heard of Michael McDonald? You've never heard of the Doobie Brothers? Even if he ain't your cup of tea, you can't help but to have heard him for the past 25-30 years, even if you didn't know his name.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-24-2006, 09:38 PM   #146
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Wait...are you saying you've never heard of Michael McDonald? You've never heard of the Doobie Brothers? Even if he ain't your cup of tea, you can't help but to have heard him for the past 25-30 years, even if you didn't know his name.

I've heard of the Doobie Brothers, but I had no idea that McDonald was the lead singer. I am neutral on them. If that doesn't give me your seal of approval, I couldn't care the fuck less. I know music, I sing music and I write music. I certainly don't think everyone should have my taste in music, nor do I think they should think I'm good (even though I am ), but at least I DO something. You seem to think that just because you spend countless hours listening to music, you are some type of musical authority, and that has always bothered me (and others). I'm not saying your shouldn't be entitled to your opinion, but stop being so fucking condescending all the time.

I'm having my monthy "night of lots of wine" with mif (yipee), so right now I don't care what I say. If I'm being an even bigger ass than normal, I'm sorry, and I'm sure I'll apologize officially tomorrow.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:43 PM   #147
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I was looking all over the Idol site to see clips of any of the performances. Do they not show them?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 09:49 PM   #148
Ksyrup

Quote:
I've heard of the Doobie Brothers, but I had no idea that McDonald was the lead singer. I am neutral on them. If that doesn't give me your seal of approval, I couldn't care the fuck less. I know music, I sing music and I write music. I certainly don't think everyone should have my taste in music, nor do I think they should think I'm good (even though I am ), but at least I DO something. You seem to think that just because you spend countless hours listening to music, you are some type of musical authority, and that has always bothered me (and others). I'm not saying your shouldn't be entitled to your opinion, but stop being so fucking condescending all the time.

I'm having my monthy "night of lots of wine" with mif (yipee), so right now I don't care what I say. If I'm being an even bigger ass than normal, I'm sorry, and I'm sure I'll apologize officially tomorrow.

Uh...OK? Got nothing to do with like and dislike, I was just amazed that you might not have heard of him and/or the Doobie Brothers. I don't really have an opinion on the guy myself - I can listen to his music without cringing, but don't own any of it. I'm not sure where you got that I was criticizing your taste in music - the comment was meant as "no matter what type of music you prefer, you've heard a lot of this guy during your life."

And for the record, I don't just listen to music, I've played it for 25+ years as well. Not that that really has anything to do with this particular issue, but since you felt the need to vent, I figured I should correct your misunderstanding. I consider myself knowledgeable (something less than "an authority") about certain types of music, but certainly not as to what's good and what's not. I mean, I know what I like and what I don't and am not afraid to share my opinions, and I know what professional music critics think about certain artists (sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't). But that doesn't mean that just because I think X band sucks that I think any less of someone who likes them. I've tried to make that point to the few people who have attempted to publicly call me out on this, but to no avail. And I'm sure this won't be the last time.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:50 PM   #149
Ksyrup

Dola.

Having said all of that...how the fuck do you not know that Michael McDonald was the singer for the Doobie Brothers (at least late-70s and forward)?

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-24-2006 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:59 PM   #150
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Dola.

Having said all of that...how the fuck do you not know that Michael McDonald was the singer for the Doobie Brothers (at least late-70s and forward)?

and on top of that, didn't you see the 40-Year Old Virgin?

There was a repeating Michael McDonald joke in it.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote