Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-24-2006, 10:02 PM   #151
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Dola.

Having said all of that...how the fuck do you not know that Michael McDonald was the singer for the Doobie Brothers (at least late-70s and forward)?

I'm just an angry man.

I have no idea what the fuck is wrong with me. You're still cool as hell. Sometimes, I just pounce when I have the chance.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:08 PM   #152
Schmidty
Coordinator

Someday, I'll tell people about my life, but for now, I'll just be an ass.

I just can't imagine posting one of those "Pray for me, I just lost my job and my Froot Loops are Stale" posts. I mean, they're cool and stuff, but......I don't trust you online motherfuckers
Old 02-24-2006, 10:09 PM   #153
Swaggs
Coordinator

Vote Schmidty
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:10 PM   #154
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Hey, I'm looking for a job. Join the club. I make sure my cereal remains fresh, though. That must be where you and I fail to see eye-to-eye.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:13 PM   #155
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I think what happened to the Doobies was one of the most radical shifts in rock music. The band that put out China Grove, Listen to the Music, Rockin' Down the Highway, Long Train Running and Jesus is Just Alright gave way to crap like Real Love, Minute by Minute and What a Fool Believes.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:17 PM   #156
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Hey, I'm looking for a job. Join the club. I make sure my cereal remains fresh, though. That must be where you and I fail to see eye-to-eye.

I only have one question: Do you put sugar on your Froot Loops or your Sugar Smacks? If so, I just don't think we have a basis for an respectful online relationship.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:19 PM   #157
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
I think what happened to the Doobies was one of the most radical shifts in rock music. The band that put out China Grove, Listen to the Music, Rockin' Down the Highway, Long Train Running and Jesus is Just Alright gave way to crap like Real Love, Minute by Minute and What a Fool Believes.

I remember the first 5 songs, but I have no idea what the last three songs sounded like. Were they in the '80s or something?
Old 02-24-2006, 10:23 PM   #158
Ksyrup

Quote:
I agree it was a jarring shift, but that music just doesn't offend me. It has a purpose. Again, not enough to make me buy it, but I can see what people get out of it. When the mood strikes me, I could probably be persuaded to admit that What a Fool Believes is a damn fine pop/soul song. I've always found it difficult to get my arms around the McDonald Doobie Brothers years, as well as Hall & Oates. Very similar "blue-eyed soul" that gets unfairly dumped on, IMO. Underneath it all is some fine pop songs, even if the packaging makes you gag.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-24-2006 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:24 PM   #159
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
I remember the first 5 songs, but I have no idea what the last three songs sounded like. Were they in the '80s or something?

Top 5 singles/albums in 79-80.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:26 PM   #160
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
I only have one question: Do you put sugar on your Froot Loops or your Sugar Smacks? If so, I just don't think we have a basis for an respectful online relationship.

To be honest, I don't eat that shit. Even as a kid, I usually stayed away from the sugary cereals. I prefer plain cereals or granola or the ones with fruits/nuts. Just give me flakes and I'm happy. No need to add sugar.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:33 PM   #161
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
To be honest, I don't eat that shit. Even as a kid, I usually stayed away from the sugary cereals. I prefer plain cereals or granola or the ones with fruits/nuts. Just give me flakes and I'm happy. No need to add sugar.

Ok, I respect that.

I respect you even more because you didn't mock the fact that I said "an respectful online relationship". I would have ripped myself apart.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:41 PM   #162
Ksyrup

And I respect the fact that you didn't rip me apart for using the words "flakes," "fruits," and "nuts" within close proximity.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:47 PM   #163
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
And I respect the fact that you didn't rip me apart for using the words "flakes," "fruits," and "nuts" within close proximity.

I think that the next time I'm in Tallahassee, we're going to have to go on a picnic.

I'll bring the german potato salad.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:49 PM   #164
Ksyrup

As long as you leave pimento loaf out of it, you've got a deal.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:49 PM   #165
Buccaneer
Head Coach

The only time I was in Tallahassee, Chris was miles away in Orlando.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:51 PM   #166
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
As long as you leave pimento loaf out of it, you've got a deal.

It's a date.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:53 PM   #167
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
The only time I was in Tallahassee, Chris was miles away in Orlando.

That's where 75% of my relatives live - specifically Kissimee. I went to Osceola High School for 2 1/2 years. I miss Central Florida.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:53 PM   #168
Ksyrup

Yeah, I think we passed each other on I-10. That was the day of the FSU/Miami game. You know, the game we were leading until late in the game and should have won, but the kicker blew a chance to win it at the end?
Old 02-24-2006, 10:55 PM   #169
Ksyrup

I was just in Orlando, on I-Drive near the convention center. Partying with wild insurance executives. I almost made it with a CPA AND an actuary in the same night!
Old 02-24-2006, 10:56 PM   #170
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
I was just in Orlando, on I-Drive near the convention center. Partying with wild insurance executives. I almost made it with a CPA AND an actuary in the same night!

My ex-fiance is an actuary. Fucking bitch.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:57 PM   #171
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah, I think we passed each other on I-10. That was the day of the FSU/Miami game. You know, the game we were leading until late in the game and should have won, but the kicker blew a chance to win it at the end?

Exactly. I remember how the "color" announcer was the worse thing I had ever heard on the radio in regards to a sporting event. I think you referred to him as Cletis the Slack Jaw Yokel.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:04 PM   #172
Ksyrup

That would be former FSU QB Peter Tom Willis.

"I SEE YOU [Fill in the name]!" - PT after every big play
Old 02-25-2006, 08:16 AM   #173
wade moore
lolzcat

So I finally watched the guys on Tivo last night...

Is it just me or is Gideon the illegitimate love child of Pumpy and David Allen Greer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 09:10 AM   #174
Joe
Pro Starter

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 09:23 AM   #175
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 09:26 AM   #176
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Gentlemen, please, I have to go to sleep soon.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:45 AM   #177
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore

Game, set, match!
Old 02-25-2006, 09:52 AM   #178
Joe
Pro Starter

= +
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 10:04 PM   #179
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I would almost be offended if not for the David Alan Grier segue. Now I actually have to agree with it.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:24 PM   #180
Ksyrup

Taylor Hicks doing Georgia On My Mind. It seems like a given that he'll pull this one out at some point during the competition.

hxxp://s53.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=13NHCSSKDGQ2V349L60H2QC4OG
Old 02-27-2006, 07:27 PM   #181
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Taylor Hicks doing Georgia On My Mind. It seems like a given that he'll pull this one out at some point during the competition.

Yeah, my wife was listening to that earlier. She's kind of obsessed (for her) with the guy's music.

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy a lot and will by his CD, but I wouldn't spend like an hour scouring the internet for his stuff.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:57 PM   #182
Ksyrup

I found it on a blog. I'm too lazy to spend that much time looking for an AI contestant's music. Although, I was impressed with the Maxim and Stuff Mag pics from the O'Donoughue twins...
Old 02-27-2006, 09:42 PM   #183
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Thanks for that link. Nicely done, the whole thing. I liked this guy from the get go and after hearing this, I hope he does pull this one out.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:08 AM   #184
Ksyrup

No discussion of last night's performances? Can't say I'm surprised. That was like my personal nightmare episode. Lousy, uninspired performances for the most part, of songs by artists and/or in genres I despise - several different country songs, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, Bette Midler. All I needed was a Barbra Streisand cover and I would have hanged myself.

I think last night played up the problem with making this a 4-month competition - there are clearly several people a cut above the rest, and they're just treading water until the competition gets down to 6 or so (including the guys). That's about 2 months of safe songs/performances to get bored with. And the others are really not cut out for this stuff - the wife and I are taking particular delight in watching Brenna do so poorly, since she seems to be the only one on the show who has that "undeserved diva" complex.

This is why Rockstar is superior to AI - aside from the fact that its music I like and the band is part of the show, even when the vocals aren't all that great, we typically get very good performances which make up for it. Or at the very least, interesting attempts to craft a well-known song into something unique, by people who may be amateurs, but have musical abilities beyond just singing into their mirror.

I know that the "unknown factor" is one of the reasons for the success of AI, but look at the people who are the best this season - I don't think any of them are completely unknown talents, aside from Pickler, and the wife and I agree that if she doesn't get control of her nerves, eventually she's going to keep giving uninspired performances and get booted. I thought last night was not good for her, and Simon was dead on - the "calamari" thing gave her some life. At some point, she's got to show personality through her singing, not her backstory.

Anyway, here's hoping tonight is better. Seeing as though I'm going to see Glen Philips after AI ends, I can guarantee that tonight will be better than last night for me, anyway.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:15 AM   #185
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No discussion of last night's performances? Can't say I'm surprised. That was like my personal nightmare episode. Lousy, uninspired performances for the most part, of songs by artists and/or in genres I despise - several different country songs, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, Bette Midler. All I needed was a Barbra Streisand cover and I would have hanged myself.

I think last night played up the problem with making this a 4-month competition - there are clearly several people a cut above the rest, and they're just treading water until the competition gets down to 6 or so (including the guys). That's about 2 months of safe songs/performances to get bored with. And the others are really not cut out for this stuff - the wife and I are taking particular delight in watching Brenna do so poorly, since she seems to be the only one on the show who has that "undeserved diva" complex.

This is why Rockstar is superior to AI - aside from the fact that its music I like and the band is part of the show, even when the vocals aren't all that great, we typically get very good performances which make up for it. Or at the very least, interesting attempts to craft a well-known song into something unique, by people who may be amateurs, but have musical abilities beyond just singing into their mirror.

I know that the "unknown factor" is one of the reasons for the success of AI, but look at the people who are the best this season - I don't think any of them are completely unknown talents, aside from Pickler, and the wife and I agree that if she doesn't get control of her nerves, eventually she's going to keep giving uninspired performances and get booted. I thought last night was not good for her, and Simon was dead on - the "calamari" thing gave her some life. At some point, she's got to show personality through her singing, not her backstory.

Anyway, here's hoping tonight is better. Seeing as though I'm going to see Glen Philips after AI ends, I can guarantee that tonight will be better than last night for me, anyway.

I do agree that last night was generally a night of subpar performances. Mrs. Eaglesfan thought most of them sounded poor to average with Mandisa sounding the best (but still not great or even very good - just good.) We both think the guys so far are showing themselves to be stronger as a group. Of course, that could change tonight. However, we don't think the guys will be worse than last night.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:41 AM   #186
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

I missed the first 7 performers last night. The only ones I saw were the end of Paris, then I saw Kelly and Jerome Bettis perform. How did the other ones do?
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:29 AM   #187
Cuckoo
College Starter

Yep, have to agree. Last night was a big, fat blah...

Two of these three are gone: Heather Cox, Brenna Geathers, Kinnik Sky.

My money's on the first two.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:49 AM   #188
marshall881
Mascot

Yep, Heather and Brenna should be the ones to go this week, with Kinnik a possible spoiler.
marshall881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:10 AM   #189
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Very very meh overall.

The one thing I liked was that the judges, aka Paula, were more willing to give real criticism this week, rather than give bland compliments. And sadly, I truly cannot remember most of the performances given since they were just so .. meh.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:12 AM   #190
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
Yep, have to agree. Last night was a big, fat blah...

Two of these three are gone: Heather Cox, Brenna Geathers, Kinnik Sky.

My money's on the first two.

My wife and I both agree. I think it is going to be Heather and Brenna. She thinks it is going to be Heather and Kinnik.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:39 AM   #191
Ksyrup

Paula has definitely done a better job of giving criticism. The mark of death on a performance is when one or more judges starts with "you look hot tonight." I always enjoy those.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:19 PM   #192
Swaggs
Coordinator

I only saw the first hour last night, but Paula appears to be back on drugs, as well.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:48 PM   #193
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I said last night that Brenna and Heather would be gone. I just think people think Brenna is too big of a bitch. I think Kellie is trying way to hard to come across as cute. I thought the song was fine but afterwards was a bit silly. Paris and Mandisa have some pipes but they do not have the stage presence to win. I think this year will be going to a guy.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:48 PM   #194
Ksyrup

She's nothing like she was last year. Not even close.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:48 PM   #195
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yep agree with everyone else. These were the types of performances I was expecting on Night 1 of the the Top 12 performances. I think the best I might give any of them was a 7 out of 10, maybe an 8. My darkhorse amongst the ladies remains Ayla. Unlike Simon I don't think she is all that mechanical. I think she has a lot of charisma when she sings and has that interesting backstory too (college basketball).

Heather should have gone last week, and her performance last night should seal the deal for her. The second person to go should be Brenna, but those who like the fact that she basically embarasses herself each time she opens her mouth will likely keep her around another week. In that case it will likely be Kinnik who goes, but I think they are all in danger this week with those performances.

Last edited by Thomkal : 03-01-2006 at 01:52 PM.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 02:01 PM   #196
Ksyrup

Problem with Ayla is that she's a bit too pristine to capture the "hearts and minds" of common folk. She's almost the antithesis of Pickles. She's a top student, has a college basketball scholarship, appears refined (despite the tomboy stuff, I don't believe that (beyond like 12 years old) - she cleans up rather well and looks comfortable)...and oh yeah, daddy is a state senator.

At some point, this could become a "who needs it most" type decision. You've got Ayla, Lisa Tucker the Great (starred in Lion King at 10 and was on Star Search at 13), and Paris, who has connections to the business. And then there's Pickles, who I think will continue to sail through because she's hot and seems down to earth (almost too down to earth, really). The only things to stop Pickles will be her nerves, the Carrie Underwood Factor, and 1 of about 3 guys.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:32 PM   #197
Cuckoo
College Starter

I have to admit that I'm kind of rooting for Ayla, and I'm not really sure why. I think she's better than given credit for, although not the top singer in the competition certainly. I agree with Ksyrup, though. Her "elite" status, whether real or just perceived, won't help her.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:34 PM   #198
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I like the nickname "Pickles." I also think the Carrie Underwood factor could hurt her at least late in the competition.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:43 PM   #199
Danny
Head Coach

I like Ayla, I think her singing is stronger then the judges say and it's to the point where she is so not the underdog, that she actually is the underdog.

I like Lisa, Melissa and Katharine as well
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 02:57 PM   #200
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

As a side note, does anyone else think Katharine looks like Sasha Cohen if we are comparing just the face?